closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 29 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,450 of 4936

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

If you register with pod Point and claim the charge Tesco don't kick you off after 15 minutes.

When I got my car I was moving house so relied a lot on Tesco Top ups as the 13A charger only added 3 miles range per hour charging. So I used that overnight with some Tesco in the day.

Trickier now as the chargers much busier and the 22kw chargers are clogged up with cars that only charge at 6 or 7...

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Aah, just clocked your answer. I suppose the whole thing is designed to swerve people like yourself and Ryan (scooting to Tesco for an F.O.C top up)
    To be fair I was shopping at Tesco also so wasn't just there for the free leccy without buying anything however it for sure was an incentive to shop at Tesco instead of other stores.

Now I pay £10 per month for unlimited charging at home so no need to go to Tesco and the chargers are usually clogged now as even the pay ones are much cheaper per kw/h than other local chargers

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Aah, just clocked your answer. I suppose the whole thing is designed to swerve people like yourself and Ryan (scooting to Tesco for an F.O.C top up)
    I paid £4.50 to charge for 17 mins and pay £7.85pm for access to the chargers.

I've got a home charger and is currently costing 27p per KW, I've not tried to charge out and about, BP pulse seems very expensive compared to almost everyone and you need a RFID card. Free chargers seemed to be only 7KW, the super chargers seem much more expensive - any tips for a charging newbie?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    I've got a home charger and is currently costing 27p per KW, I've not tried to charge out and about, BP pulse seems very expensive compared to almost everyone and you need a RFID card. Free chargers seemed to be only 7KW, the super chargers seem much more expensive - any tips for a charging newbie?

If you mean Tesla Superchargers they tend to be a bit cheaper than non Tesla and the London ones are subsidised so around half the cost of non London

Master

BP Pulse rapid chargers are currently 65p per kWh, but you don’t need an RFID for them, just a debit or credit card.

Superchargers, at least those that aren’t open to all EVs, are just for Tesla EVs, for now anyway.

Best place to charge is at home if you can, but if you can’t the Bonnet App is worth a look, gives you discounted charging via paying up front to various networks.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    If you register with pod Point and claim the charge Tesco don't kick you off after 15 minutes.

When I got my car I was moving house so relied a lot on Tesco Top ups as the 13A charger only added 3 miles range per hour charging. So I used that overnight with some Tesco in the day.

Trickier now as the chargers much busier and the 22kw chargers are clogged up with cars that only charge at 6 or 7...
    Home charging from a three pin plug is 2kw so an average of 6+ mikes per hour, assuming your car does greater than 3mpkwhr. Most EVs do at least that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    All too complicated for me. I’ll keep filling up with diesel until the little amber light tells me to do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    far too complicated for me, ill keep plugging in once a week in my driveway once a week rather than having to travel to refuel

I've been an EV advocate for some time. Purchased a fantastic little MG ZS EV in April. It's been amazing. I've covered 3500 miles and it's cost me a little over £100 in electricity at home, with light use of free charging also.

However...

I sold it yesterday and moved to a Hybrid.

The reason, it's still too cumbersome to cover long distances. I went to Leeds a few weeks ago, the car got me there and part way back before needing a charge. Stopped at a large service station and there was only 1 charger and it was in use. I waiting 30 mins for it to free up, then 90 minutes charge time before setting off to get home.

Now I'm faced with a family trip to Wales. 4 hour drive, needing a 2 hour charge mid-way with family of 4 and a dog. Once at our AirBnB we can only charge from 3 pin (we're in the middle of nowhere) meaning long charge times for us to travel anywhere.

So, it's gone, sold for what I paid for it in April and now I have a PHEV.

My remaining days are to valuable to me to do anything other than fill up and drive.
    Just imagine how much more of that precious time can be saved by not having to spend time filling the car with diesel!

I fill it up once a month in passing. Takes minutes.
    Compare that to all the shenanigans the EV guys go through researching the options, having accounts, RFID’s. Special deals. Plotting routes…’Im sure I’’m ahead.

I’ve been driving EVs for seven years now. I have no shenanigans, I plug it in when I get home and unplug it in the morning. If I need to use a charger away from home, they’re all have contactless card readers these days.

You stick with ICE, it’s your choice and fine but most of the issues you keep raising are non issues which, if you tried an EV fir a while, would probably discover for yourself.

If you replaced the word EV with Watches, and 'diesel and petrol' with '£10 Casio' most of the last few pages of nonsense would still read the same. Imagine having to wind your watch every day to make it work, I don't do that with my £10 Casio... Imagine an expensive watch that loses / gains time, my £10 Casio doesn't.

It's also interesting how few EV advocates or owners in this thread are making any reference to environmental benefits, most of it is preference, performance vs running costs, overall cost effectiveness, etc. That makes it a little sad when people jump over others preferences and personal spending choices in a way we don't judge the money people spend on watches, or the choices they make.

Keep an eye out at Tesco as some stores have free 22kw chargers - assuming your car (and cable) can make use of them.

Restaurants, pubs, golf courses etc. often have chargers so always ask/check.

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    If you replaced the word EV with Watches, and 'diesel and petrol' with '£10 Casio' most of the last few pages of nonsense would still read the same. Imagine having to wind your watch every day to make it work, I don't do that with my £10 Casio... Imagine an expensive watch that loses / gains time, my £10 Casio doesn't.

It's also interesting how few EV advocates or owners in this thread are making any reference to environmental benefits, most of it is preference, performance vs running costs, overall cost effectiveness, etc. That makes it a little sad when people jump over others preferences and personal spending choices in a way we don't judge the money people spend on watches, or the choices they make.
    Good analogy - although in some ways the EV is the manual watch, or possibly a smart watch.

And as we know, once we have adapted our habits to suit the different technologies then they are easy enough to live with.

People "needing" 400 mile range don't understand that in an EV you stop when it is convenient, not when you have to.

This took me some time to realise so I don't blame people. Much like my bike has 100 mile tank range I stop on my journey home to fill it rather than wait for the fuel light. The difference is I fill it, in an EV I would just put adequate charge in to get me home where I can fill it up whilst it is sitting on the drive doing nothing. I even managed with a 3pin "trickle charger" for 6 months with just a bit of planning.
    Last edited by MB2; 26th September 2022 at 13:40.

We have different lifestyles.

Mine doesn’t suit an EV…and I have considered one.

As you’ve said already that you only fill up once a month, your mileage must be quite low.

I’d be interested to know what your usage profile is to make an EV unsuitable.

Just curious really as the two statements don’t really add up unless you do a couple of long journeys a month and don’t drive the rest of the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    BP Pulse rapid chargers are currently 65p per kWh, but you don’t need an RFID for them, just a debit or credit card.

Superchargers, at least those that aren’t open to all EVs, are just for Tesla EVs, for now anyway.

Best place to charge is at home if you can, but if you can’t the Bonnet App is worth a look, gives you discounted charging via paying up front to various networks.
    BP Pulse at some London fast chargers is 35p KWH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    As you’ve said already that you only fill up once a month, your mileage must be quite low.

I’d be interested to know what your usage profile is to make an EV unsuitable.

Just curious really as the two statements don’t really add up unless you do a couple of long journeys a month and don’t drive the rest of the time.
    exactly.

I do 800 miles a month in a 10yr old merc diesel that easily has 200k miles left in it with proper servicing.
    I live in a Grade2 listed property that has no on street parking out the front or footpath. I’m prohibited from parking outside my property so the nearest legal spot I can park my car is roughly 50 yards away.
    There is a covenant on the grounds of the property(detached) with 3 gardens that prohibits me from changing the walls/fence or using the grounds for parking.
    I infrequently have to get up at anytime of the night and drive up to 50 miles each way.
    To reinforce my original point..All this chatter about different rates, chargers, deals, cards, RFID’s(no idea what they are) led me to the conclusion that I’m fine as I am.
    Ironically many have said that an EV is cheap to run but seem to spend a lot of personal time and energy chasing savings amounting to pennies.
    I don’t even look at fuel prices. I fill up once a month. My car other than it’s emissions has made its carbon footprint. Buying a new EV will create a new carbon footprint. I’m not convinced an EV is that clean either. Electricity, dependant on where you are in the UK has its own carbon footprint.
    I do upwards of 60mpg. I’m fine.

And well said that man above 👍

Master
    As usual these days it seems that any topic has to be contentious, and you ‘have to take a side’!

But really, the only side worth taking is the one that works for you. It’s not surprising that for many that will be some kind of petrol or diesel car, I mean, it’s worked for many for decades hasn’t it.

What is slightly galling is the constant misinformation from people who haven’t owned or even driven an EV, and yet put information forward that is just plain wrong and is in any event nothing to do with what car they choose to drive.

People either want to understand a bit more about living with an EV or they don’t. If not, that’s perfectly fine, but you really don’t need to justify it, not least to those who have been there and done it. Most EV owners have got a lot of petrol or diesel miles under their belt already, and now they’ve got some electric ones so can make informed comparisons.

But apparently we’ve got it wrong! :-D

Enjoy whatever it is you drive, or don’t, but if anybody is genuinely interested or wants a bit of info, then just ask.
    Last edited by Tooks; 26th September 2022 at 21:13.

As usual these days it seems that any topic has to be contentious, and you ‘have to take a side’!

But really, the only side worth taking is the one that works for you. It’s not surprising that for many that will be some kind of petrol or diesel car, I mean, it’s worked for many for decades hasn’t it.

What is slightly galling is the constant misinformation from people who haven’t owned or even driven an EV, and yet put information forward that is just plain wrong and is in any event nothing to do with what car they choose to drive.

People either want to understand a bit more about living with an EV or they don’t. If not, that’s perfectly fine, but you really don’t need to justify it, not least to those who have been there and done it. Most EV owners have got a lot of petrol or diesel miles under their belt already, and now they’ve got some electric ones so can make informed comparisons.

But apparently we’ve got it wrong! :-D

Enjoy whatever it is you drive, or don’t, but if anybody is genuinely interested or wants a bit of info, then just ask.
    Was about to type something similar but his says it all.
    You make your choice and pays your money….end of.

Craftsman

Get yourself on an Octopus Go or Intelligent EV tariff; they are still working out pricing following the governments announcement but I’m currently paying 7.5p per kWh Off Peak on Octopus Intelligent (6hrs 11:30-5:30) / 35p per kWh peak.

Costs approx £6 to fully charge the I-Pace overnight.

You need to call up to sign up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Some of you might remember my thread re finding a charger for my EV on a longer journey...well that all went very well and was easy in the end. 99% of my journeys are less than the range of my EV so not an issue in practice, but for that odd occasion it takes a little bit more planning than with ICE but perfectly doable. In my case, instead of having breakfast at my hotel I went to a place with a charger and munched my brekkie while the car charged.

Re cost: no-one actually pays £50k in cash of course. Mine is substantially less than that, but I have a monthly budget for my main car and it fits into that...I treat cars like this effectively as a service not a possession so either lease or PCP them depending on what works out best. bear in mind I do 640 miles a month just commuting (and that's with going in the office 2 days a week...)

The car itself, a Cupra Born is brilliant. Quiet and relaxing on the long journeys, but actually fantastic fun on twisty B roads and feels really quick and agile in that environment. I can fit my bike in the back of it so all in all very happy with it. TBH, it really does make an ICE car feel old-fashioned.

I'll be honest, this was dipping the toe into EV ownership as we have a Hybrid XC40 to fall back to, but so far so good. Would I go 100% EV? No, not yet because my wife being French we often drive to Lyon in France and I do think that would be hard work. But without that, yes, I would consider it.

For balance I also own and love...a '98 Defender TD5, a '96 MX-5 and a '98 Honda Fireblade. Under pressure from her indoors to sell my beloved Defender but the rest aren't going anywhere!

Choose what suits you and makes you happy of course but I would say try to keep an open mind about the technology that is on offer and of course no doubt more to come...

A friend sent me this.

I own a Tesla and prior to that my last 3 cars were Range Rover, Audi, Audi. All have been bought and owned from new and kept for 2 years. I vastly prefer the Tesla vs any of those other cars I owned and actually the Tesla was the 2nd cheapest of the 4 cars I've listed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    A friend sent me this.

It’s similar to thinking about how coffee is now unaffordable/expensive if you only consider the cost of a cup from Starbucks or Costa etc.

You can make a decent cup far cheaper at home, but only if you’ve got a home and a coffee machine I suppose.

There are solutions to public charging for homes without driveways etc, but there just aren’t enough EVs yet to make many of them viable.

No houses had fiber broadband a couple of decades ago.

Master
    I do 800 miles a month in a 10yr old merc diesel that easily has 200k miles left in it with proper servicing.
    I live in a Grade2 listed property that has no on street parking out the front or footpath. I’m prohibited from parking outside my property so the nearest legal spot I can park my car is roughly 50 yards away.
    There is a covenant on the grounds of the property(detached) with 3 gardens that prohibits me from changing the walls/fence or using the grounds for parking.
    I infrequently have to get up at anytime of the night and drive up to 50 miles each way.
    To reinforce my original point..All this chatter about different rates, chargers, deals, cards, RFID’s(no idea what they are) led me to the conclusion that I’m fine as I am.
    Ironically many have said that an EV is cheap to run but seem to spend a lot of personal time and energy chasing savings amounting to pennies.
    I don’t even look at fuel prices. I fill up once a month. My car other than it’s emissions has made its carbon footprint. Buying a new EV will create a new carbon footprint. I’m not convinced an EV is that clean either. Electricity, dependant on where you are in the UK has its own carbon footprint.
    I do upwards of 60mpg. I’m fine.

Can I ask what Merc you own please? We have an E220 diesel at home which the wife drives and she’s averaging about 44mpg out of it. We couldn’t get anywhere near 800 miles out of a full tank.
    She likes a Merc so may look to change to whatever you have.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Can I ask what Merc you own please? We have an E220 diesel at home which the wife drives and she’s averaging about 44mpg out of it. We couldn’t get anywhere near 800 miles out of a full tank.
    She likes a Merc so may look to change to whatever you have.
    I had a 2005 E220 estate which averaged about 40mpg until I had it remapped. Power went up to around 170bhp (from 150), it was much smoother and I could easily get 50mpg out of it.

Mercedes improved economy from about 2010 onwards; I’ve been looking at a CLS and if I bought a gen 2 220, they can do over 60mpg.

Attachment 19743

I wasn’t doubting it, merely pointing out that the fuel economy of the 220 motor has been continually improved and also that I found mine at least, benefitted from a remap.

Master
    I had a 2005 E220 estate which averaged about 40mpg until I had it remapped. Power went up to around 170bhp (from 150), it was much smoother and I could easily get 50mpg out of it.

Mercedes improved economy from about 2010 onwards; I’ve been looking at a CLS and if I bought a gen 2 220, they can do over 60mpg.

The real limiting factor with the W211 E220 is the gearbox - I've got a 2007 facelift model which is 170bhp from the factory but still retains the 5-speed box. I can get 50mpg on a long run if I keep it to 70; the later ones (same engine but the 7-speed box) are much better on fuel.

Master
    report in the Guardian yesterday by the RAC on cost of charging can be almost as much as filling with fuel depending on where/when you charge and the rise in electricity charges

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/ele...n-four-months/

Surely this was inevitable, natural even...the free lunches don't last forever.

Even if the driving costs were the same IMHO an EV is vastly nicer to drive, instant torque, quiet cabin, a silky smooth experience all round

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Even if the driving costs were the same IMHO an EV is vastly nicer to drive, instant torque, quiet cabin, a silky smooth experience all round
    and no exhaust fumes :)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    and no exhaust fumes :)
    Ah yes I was going to say that but thought twice as someone would inevitably say 'but cobalt'.

Master
    The wife’s just bought a Tucson PHEV as a full charge will see her through a weeks commute and the space is great for family holidays.
    I run a Convertible Merc diesel and do very low miles but when I do them they are longer trips.
    Best of both worlds really. That said I’ll probably go fully electric once the merc dies. I really like the idea of the electric Carver but the range just isn’t quite good enough for my occasional round trip to the office at 100 miles (probably more like 70 in the winter months). If they did a long range 150 mile range version I’d seriously consider ditching the merc.

Master
    Attachment 19743

That’s an excellent fuel return. Despite driving gently, even on motorway journeys I can’t quite break 60mpg in it.
    My previous (two of them) Skoda Superbs would achieve over 70 mpg quite easily though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

I've just done over 100 miles this morning in my little Noddy car - no-one is ever going to call a Leaf attractive - and it's sitting in the office car park charging up.

For me there are so many positives; as I type this, my car is filling itself up - I have no need to ever go near a filling station. It's quiet. It's fume-free. It's cheap to run - granted, if you only charge up at the most expensive public chargers then it's about the same price as a piston-engined car, but I don't know if anyone who only operates an electric car that way. It accelerates like a stabbed rat.

Against this there are the obvious ones - my car has a short range, but it's an old design and the new ones are a lot better. Electric cars are expensive; true, but the price differential is falling and that gap will disappear soon.

I absolutely get that BEV cars don't work for everyone at the moment due to lack of charging facilities or the sheer cost of the vehicles, but the number of chargers being rolled out and the quantity of new reasonably-priced electric cars cars suggests that there's a tipping point coming in perhaps the next 2-3 years where it'll make no sense at all from an economic point of view to buy a new petrol or diesel car. People can have views on the environment - one of the real reasons I switched - but what will cause mass adoption is cost advantage.

SO TESLA'S have a sentry mode but do any EV's come with Riot/ Civil Unrest Settings, asking for a friend

Craftsman

Get on Octopus Go! Our current tariff is 27p/day and 5p/night 12:30-04:30. The renewals other EV owners have are around 34/7.5 but that may vary given current uncertainty. It makes home charging a no-brainer at 28kw each night for £1.40. You're best to get a referral as that gives you £50 on sign up but, obviously, you do need a smart meter and if you don't have one fitment is on very extended lead times. PM me if you want an octopus code or any other charging advice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    SO TESLA'S have a sentry mode but do any EV's come with Riot/ Civil Unrest Settings, asking for a friend
    Just a Bioweapon Defence Mode, sadly! 🤣

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/blog/put...de-to-the-test

Just a Bioweapon Defence Mode, sadly! 藍

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/blog/put...de-to-the-test
    Might be handy come Flu season.

For anyone contemplating an EV for towing this might be worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nS0Fdayj8Y
    So what?

It’s well known that when you tow, you use more fuel. It’s the same with any vehicle.

It’s also well known that the range indicators are not very accurate and that, the initial range suggested is based on the previous few mikes when it wasn’t towing. When he charges it up again, it will show a range of maybe 100 mikes which will miraculously increase as he drives (assuming he’s not towing anything).

The whole video is merely sensationalism in order to get clicks.

Finally, although irrelevant really, that vehicle isn’t available in the UK.

Grand Master
    So what?

It’s well known that when you tow, you use more fuel. It’s the same with any vehicle.

It’s also well known that the range indicators are not very accurate and that, the initial range suggested is based on the previous few mikes when it wasn’t towing. When he charges it up again, it will show a range of maybe 100 mikes which will miraculously increase as he drives (assuming he’s not towing anything).

The whole video is merely sensationalism in order to get clicks.

Finally, although irrelevant really, that vehicle isn’t available in the UK.
    +1.......makes perfect sense when you think about it! The vehicle doesn`t really have a brain, don`t let it fool you! Surprising how a digital read-out fools people thesedays, when my Jag tells me I`ve got 80 miles-worth of fuel left I know not to take it too literally and the same has to apply to range. Maybe the display should be in kw.hrs in the battery, that would force people to think a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    +1.......makes perfect sense when you think about it! The vehicle doesn`t really have a brain, don`t let it fool you! Surprising how a digital read-out fools people thesedays, when my Jag tells me I`ve got 80 miles-worth of fuel left I know not to take it too literally and the same has to apply to range. Maybe the display should be in kw.hrs in the battery, that would force people to think a bit!
    I keep one of my displays showing battery % and, after seven years, can tell at a glance, approximately how many miles of range I have left. In the early days I was constantly doing mental calculations to work it out.

I never bother looking at the range indicator.

Reminds me of the Skoda Superb we recently sold; according to the fuel gauge the top half of the tank gave me more miles than the bottle half. Thinking EV’s are any different in accuracy terms is a bit daft.

Blog Entries
    Google 'Citroen Oli' for their view on car design and driving.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Google 'Citroen Oli' for their view on car design and driving.

Forget the Oli, I'd have genuinely bought an Ami Off-road if I could have got one!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just been informed my ionic 5 should be with me in the next 2 weeks after ordering it in January.
    The cost of electric has taken the shine off slightly but I still can’t wait to get my hands on the car. My 12 year old daughter is buzzing with anticipation bless her.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    Just been informed my ionic 5 should be with me in the next 2 weeks after ordering it in January.
    The cost of electric has taken the shine off slightly but I still can’t wait to get my hands on the car. My 12 year old daughter is buzzing with anticipation bless her.
    I'm exceptionally jealous!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Rather an unexpected downside of my neighbour's ID4 has just come to light... he was side swiped on the front wing, damaging the front wheel, wing and light unit. All this was taken on by a main dealer, everything sorted except when they couldn't start it. It appears that the battery has gone into some sort of 'hibernation' as a result of the knock - it was explained to him as a safety feature for when such a high energy system is involved in a detectable accident.

But the dealer couldn't start it and it had to be shipped off to a 'specialist' in Cambridge to sort it out. Even that has proved problematic and three new parts have been ordered to try and wake the battery up! He does not have a date for when it will be ready.