closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tales from the Workshop; the holidays are over - back to work! (E-Type content)

Blog Entries

Tales from the Workshop; the holidays are over - back to work! (E-Type content)

As per title: after a two week hols closure, the shop opened again this morning. In the shop already the red Spitfire that was completely transformed over the last year or so. I've shown pics of that car in the past. Last thing (more or less) to be done is installing a new mohair hood. It was ordered in the UK and thanks to the infamous slow work by Dutch Customs, it didn't arrive on time to be installed before the shop closed.

With a few warm days ahead, the installing of the hood will be much simpler. The warmth will make it more flexible, easier to handle.

More interesting is a really beautiful(!!) E-Type Coupe. The car has undergone an extensive restoration at another shop at the other side of the country But sadly, the guy working on the car passed away last year. The owner now has asked our shop to complete the restoration. That's always a difficult one. Because there are always things you'd do differently than the guy who started the project... What's wise then: let it sit or do you start tinkering with that. First thing this morning was putting the car on the ramp for a thorough check - making a list with things to do/ things that were 'spotted'. And what did we see? A leak from the rear of the engine.

Then, there's the SAAB 96 I mentioned before. The owner has sourced brand-new upholstery in the US and he has sourced a rebuilt engine with a dyno sheet to proof it's power. (No new pics of the SAAB)

Finally, in the corner of the shop: a Volvo 1800 ES: the one with the big rear window. A few years ago restored in Poland. The paint looks marvelous, but now in for a major service.

Last edited by thieuster; 9th August 2021 at 17:59.

My god, you get some lovely cars in that shop of yours!

Lordy, that E-type is simply delicious.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    The E-Type is exceptionally nice. I like the metallic green colour. And the interior colour is spot-on in combination with the paint. I have no idea if this is the original colour (not paint, it's repainted) but it suits the car wonderfully.

The Spitfire held up to its reputation of 'Perfect First Time Classic'. It's so easy to work on! And all is widely available. If you ever consider a classic for DIY tinkering and driving: get a Spitfire.

At the same time, at home, my TR3A has be valued for the insurance. Prices are up, up and up. Normally, a restoration costs more than the value of the car when finished, but slowly, we're getting there: I'm on the 'good side' of the Break Even point. I need to replace the tyres though. Not worn, but they're getting old. So I ordered a new set of Vredesteins for the car. Guess what: like everything you want to buy these days: delays, delays - even with the factory less than 60kms to the east from here.

M
    Last edited by thieuster; 9th August 2021 at 19:38.

Blog Entries
    After a week with the E-Type a few things that came to the surface. Not all good...

The rear brakes were binding. And working on an E-Type's (and other Jags' for that reason) brakes is a p@in in... These 'inboard' brakes are hard to service with the rear suspension in place. But there's a way around it. Still a lot of work, but cheaper (hours) than removing the rear suspension, repairing the brakes and re-installing everything. My guess is that the owner always pushed the maintenance to 'let's do that next year'. With the result that the brakes were really hard to free.

Then under the bonnet. One of the coolant hoses had a small hairline fracture. That's often a sign that more hoses are not in the best state. In most cases, all hoses are replaced at one go. So, after consulting the owner, a complete new set was ordered. With the hoses off, it was obvious that the thermostat housing had seen better days: corroded under the hoses. New, shiny ones are about 60 euros / about 50 gbp and it really revives the look of the engine. After taking off the old one, we noticed that there was no thermostat inside the housing!! That is a very worrying sign! And something no-one had anticipated.

It's worrying because it's a typical bodgy job to 'overcome' the problem of overheating. After installing all the parts needed, it will be time to investigate step-by-step. Older Jags tend to overheat quickly due to the small grill and the limited way the heat from the engine can escape from under the bonnet and the use of modern petrol doesn't help eighter. (XK120s etc are very prone to overheating).

Handsome E-Type Menno. Restored quite a few HD-8's on those.

The Spit is not bad either.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE]Restored quite a few HD-8's on those./QUOTE]

I take my hat off for you, sir! Quite a fiddly job to get it all right and nice and shiny!

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post

I take my hat off for you, sir! Quite a fiddly job to get it all right and nice and shiny!
    It was my business.

SU's were nothing compared to some old Solex.
    Cheers,
    Neil.