closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Do you always pay the sellers price regardless of private or trade seller ?

Do you always pay the sellers price regardless of private or trade seller ?

Even if you consider the asking price fair do you make an offer on the off chance or just pay the full asking price and thats it ?

If you did make an offer on a watch that in your opinion is fairly priced what percentage discount would you try as an opening gambit ? 5%, 10% etc.

Does your method of payment influence your offer at all ? cash, BT, Paypal Etc.

Depends on the platform, I don’t think I’ve ever negotiated a price on the forum for a watch, but I probably would on eBay if the facility is there.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    If I was a Rolex dealer and you asked for a discount on a brand new Sub I would simply laugh in your face.

If I was an art dealer and you were making noises about a discount for a picture, I would most certainly negotiate. The last discount I got was 50%.

In other words the product and its current state of the market are the drivers.

I think it’s a game for some people, no matter what the price was they would expect to get something knocked off. It can be a false economy as the seller will just ask a little bit more to factor in the offer.

I hardly ever buy new watches, so the second hand value is always going to be subjective based on rarity, condition, service history etc. In effect there is no one fixed price, it’s a case of what the buyer will pay and the seller will accept.

I recently saw a watch listed on the German version of e-bay (e-bay.de) that was a bit of a grail for me. It was listed in German with posting to Germany only. It was overpriced for what it was, but having sent the seller a message in German asking if he would ship to the UK and getting him to amend his listing, the last thing I wanted to do was mess him around or lose the watch by haggling, so I paid his asking price.

Equally, if someone offered me a 1981 or 1982 CWC Navigator this afternoon, I would pay the asking price without hesitation.

Horses for courses at times.

Doesn’t hurt to ask as long as the offer is reasonable.

Don’t mind receiving offers as long as it’s reasonable

If I’m happy to pay the asking price, I’ll pay it.

If I think it’s overpriced, I’ll offer what I think it’s worth and maybe negotiate to a little over that value.

When selling, I’ll usually consider an offer that I consider reasonable and ignore those that I don’t.

Again, depends.

Good price: no haggling, just pay.

Ok price: a close offer, unless clearly stated not open to offers

Bad price: usually don’t bother off the bat as it’s unlikely we’ll meet somewhere (I consider) reasonable but if it’s been hanging about for a few weeks unsold and I’m interested, I’ll offer something I feel is fair.

My personal level of interest, the market place etc also play a role, of course.

I think 70% of the watches I’ve sold have been sold to an offer rather than the asking price, and that’s even after I’ve reduced the price. As a buyer it’ll depend on many factors as already said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

If I think it’s overpriced, I’ll offer what I think it’s worth and maybe negotiate to a little over that value.

When selling, I’ll usually consider an offer that I consider reasonable and ignore those that I don’t.
    This.

If something is offered far above the price I'd pay, I wouldn't offer anything, if it's too expensive, the buyer will either lower the price or withdraw the item.

If it's a little higher, I'll make an offer, but if the asking price seems fair to me, I'll just buy at that price.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Most of the watches I've bought on here are at asking price. Most of the watches I've bought on ebay have been under asking price.

My advice; pay what you're comfortable with but don't burn your bridges through lowballing. There are a handful of members here I'd never considering selling to even at asking price.

If offers are invited it usually says so on the listing.

I always make an offer unless of course the price is very low to start with.

But then I usually only trade with dealer types anyway.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Interesting question Op.. what’s your policy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Interesting question Op.. what’s your policy?

Depends, if its what I consider cheap then I just pay the asking price likewise if its something I am desperately looking for but if I think it is a little or a lot over the price I am wanting to pay I will politely make an offer, the last offer I made was for a watch over £2k and I offered a price which was about 6% below the sellers asking price.

All depends.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I think it’s a game for some people, no matter what the price was they would expect to get something knocked off. It can be a false economy as the seller will just ask a little bit more to factor in the offer.
    Exactly this. I think there's a large number of buyers out there who would quite happy pay X, so long as the item was offered at X+10% originally, but won't pay X if originally offered X. Kind of like folk who'll buy stuff in a store because it says 70% off on the label, despite knowing full well nobody in their right mind ever paid the imaginary RRP.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm happy to pay the going rate on a watch which should already be good value after depreciating from new. I recently withdrew two sales after receiving offers below asking - always happy to be advised if I'm above market rate but don't have much patience with chancers

All depends on the pricing. If it's something that is keenly priced and you want to bag it, pay the asking price straight away. If it is priced at a level you don't think it will sell readily, take a chance, maybe leave it a few days and make an offer.

Generally, I'm not going to take advantage of someone...I'll pay whatever I think a fair price is. I'm not a wheeler dealer either. I'll buy something if I like it not because of it being a bargain to make money out of.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Most of the watches I've bought on here are at asking price. Most of the watches I've bought on ebay have been under asking price.

My advice; pay what you're comfortable with but don't burn your bridges through lowballing. There are a handful of members here I'd never considering selling to even at asking price.

If offers are invited it usually says so on the listing.
    No need to be like that, I still think £150 was a decent price for a speedy pro!

Master
    If I consider something very keenly priced, I won't try to haggle and take it at asking price. If it is reasonably priced but not a "bargain" then I will usually try to negotiate a bit off and depending on how much I want the item and what the seller responds with agree a deal or not. If I consider something overpriced then I won't make an offer until the item is reduced and then may offer something I wouldn't consider lowballing but represents what I feel the value of the item is and go from there.

As a seller, I expect some negotiation unless I set a firm price but don't add 10% or whatever onto my asking price because I will necessarily sell it at 10% less than asking price. Obviously what I would accept depends on my desire to sell the item quickly or at all!

If the watched is priced fair or any item I would pay going rate, which on this forum often is .

If an item I think is over priced I’d happily offer less.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    If I was a Rolex dealer and you asked for a discount on a brand new Sub I would simply laugh in your face.

Really ?

I’d offer a polite explanation why no discount is available, far more professional.

Craftsman

Yes, as I always consider the seller has built in a buffer in their initial offer (private or dealer) Interestingly, I tried it with an AD on a Patek few years ago and got a refusal to budge so I declined. Some months later they dropped the price by several £k to a very attractive price which I then took which proved my point to some extent.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by ALindsay; 8th August 2021 at 18:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

This is pretty much how I approach things.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

SydR
    I always attempt to negotiate on the likes of eBay, Chrono24 or direct with dealers.

Master

Love it when I get a classic PM - “ Would you be offended if I offered you 20% lower than your asking for your mint watch than your asking because a scratched one went for cheaper last month. “- trying to remember who it was now:)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Love it when I get a classic PM - “ Would you be offended if I offered you 20% lower than your asking for your mint watch than your asking because a scratched one went for cheaper last month. “- trying to remember who it was now:)

Yep, plenty of chancers around, and yes, I was offended...

Craftsman
    Sold a Tag Heuer 2000 earlier this week on ebay for £450 - starting price was £420. Received a message asking to buy for £300!

Cheers
    Rory

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Yep, plenty of chancers around, and yes, I was offended...
    My reply was would you be offended if I call you a lowballer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I think it’s a game for some people, no matter what the price was they would expect to get something knocked off.
    Agreed. I recall doing periodic boot sales and pricing stuff really low just to ensure it got recycled/re-used. Put a price of 50p on something and inevitably I’d be offered 25p.

Only bought one watch on SC and was happy to pay the asking price

Happy to pay the asking price if the asking price is fair, also happy to bid if the bid Vs asking price isn't too wild.

There's something I have my eye on at the minute but I don't want to offend the guy so have subscribed to the thread and I'm hoping for a reduction or two.

Like most happy to pay the asking price if it’s fair
    Happy to negotiate if I think the price is a bit too high I would not low ball though.
    If the price is far too high I will wait to see if the price drops. No point having g a discussion on price of both parties are so far apart, it will only end in one taking offence.
    If selling I like to set the price as fair but have had a few low balls in my time. (No giggling at the back)

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Agreed. I recall doing periodic boot sales and pricing stuff really low just to ensure it got recycled/re-used. Put a price of 50p on something and inevitably I’d be offered 25p.

Only bought one watch on SC and was happy to pay the asking price
    Car boot sales are the worst. I did a car boot sale once, many years ago when I was about 14. Will never forget the type of grasping people that were haggling for 10p off something that was being sold for 50p by a kid. Even had one old guy buy a handheld TV for about a tenner, take my address in case it didn't work, then appeared a day later to complain he couldn't get reception. I'll recycle my old stuff to charity shops now but never go near a car boot sale ever again.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Private - depends on price, if reasonable and I want the watch then id just pay asking. If toppy I'd either offer or move on.
    Trade - always as i'm in it so know what its like and whats acceptable margin-wise.

I tend to start from a position of “how much can I expect to sell this for if I don’t get on with it?” That dictates whether I pay the asking price or make an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I tend to start from a position of “how much can I expect to sell this for if I don’t get on with it?” That dictates whether I pay the asking price or make an offer.

I think a lot of people probably do this, which is fair enough if you know you are a flipper and you are trying to limit your losses with a high turnover of watches feeding the addiction! I always cringe though when a seller subsequently uses the term "selling for what it owes me".

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I think a lot of people probably do this, which is fair enough if you know you are a flipper and you are trying to limit your losses with a high turnover of watches feeding the addiction! I always cringe though when a seller subsequently uses the term "selling for what it owes me".
    Funny how the same people never want "what it owes them" when prices rise, only when it falls.

Yep. That's a nonsense.

It's had another owner since then.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I price everything to factor in someone wanting to haggle.

"I have only had this watch for 3 months, worn it every day but found that I don't bond with it.
    I only want back what I paid for it."

Yes of course you do.

Master
    Car boot sales are the worst. I did a car boot sale once, many years ago when I was about 14. Will never forget the type of grasping people that were haggling for 10p off something that was being sold for 50p by a kid. Even had one old guy buy a handheld TV for about a tenner, take my address in case it didn't work, then appeared a day later to complain he couldn't get reception. I'll recycle my old stuff to charity shops now but never go near a car boot sale ever again.

Last one I stood we had a jewish girl mithering and mithering for tiny discounts. Loads of unworn kids clothes that they grew out of while our stuff was in storage (house move) priced at 50p an item to get it gone and she wanted the whole lot for £2. Boxes and boxes of toys at a quid each, another daft offer for a bulk-buy, and extremely persistent until I had to be quite rude with her. A Schwinn bike of my daughters, same story (outgrown), it was £150 new, I had a 25 quid sticker on it, she shouted, begged, pestered and was a general nuisance until I sold it her for £12. The bloke on the stall next to mine said she was a regular and went home with a car load every week and most of the regular attendees hide from her.
    I gave up on car boot sales that day.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Funny how the same people never want "what it owes them" when prices rise, only when it falls.
    Very true...

That said, it's a redundant statement really.

If 'what it owes them' is too much, no-one else will pay it anyway!

I might want £250 for my Tissot PRC200, but I'm not going to get it! (Before you check SC, that wasn't a stealth sales post, it's not on there! )

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I enjoy the art of a deal. As a seller I don’t mind it and I’m not offended or threatened by low ballers. As a buyer I would always offer the asking price or market rate, whichever is lower.

Not so much with watches, but I always negotiate quite hard on cars as I know there’s plenty of them about and after 3 years I’ll probably lose 50%+

Master
    I did one a few years ago as the missus had a truck load of clothes that needed clearing out! Had a box with assorted clothes in them and marked 50p but still had people saying they’ll pay 10/20/30/40p! And they kept coming back. In the end I just said I’d rather give it to charity.

Never ever doing one again, absolute pain in the ass. Unfortunately it’s not stopped my wife from buying endless amounts of clothes :(

My wife loves doing a car boot sale. She loves the craic and flogging off the old gear.

Unfortunately I have to help her but it does give me a chance to look around myself and I have found some gems over time. After that I set myself up with a chair and do the crossword while she deals with the customers.

Last one she did two weeks ago she took £140 after paying the pitch money.

I do think people will pay a bit more for stuff around here though.

I think she is doing both days this weekend whilst the weather is good.
    Cheers,
    Neil.