closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Spend spend spend

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Glos.
    Posts
    1,464

    Spend spend spend

    As some of you are aware I'm currently recovering from a 10 day stay coutesy of the covid ward, getting there, but boy it's hard.
    Anyway, my outlook has changed somewhat to life, ( as you might expect ), and as such I find myself sorting things that were always left simmering on the back burner, only little things, but still things.
    New computer purchased
    New printer purchased
    Gardener employed to do a few of the bigger jobs
    Window cleaner employed, ( I know, but we have some huge windows ).
    Getting my breitling navi world serviced, ( hopefully by webwatchmaker ).

    I've always been one of these that take forever to sort stuff, always thinking I'd get a better deal next week etc etc but doing these simple things has been like a breath of fresh air.
    Just thought I'd share my experience with you, so far, as I'm sure there's more to come, (spend).

    Sent from my SM-T590 using TZ-UK mobile app

  2. #2
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    38,060
    Good luck with your recovery. I had the virus last November (not hospitalized) and it put me on my back for easily 3 weeks. I still don't think I'm fully over it yet. The whole covid thing, not just my own illness, caused me to reassess things, and I'm still in the midst of a large scale declutter and downsizing exercise, it's actually very liberating to have less to bother with!

  3. #3
    Well done, OP.

    Sometimes we all need a bit of a kickstart to just revaluate things.

    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South West, UK
    Posts
    1,927
    Why not also try and improve your fitness. It seems that good health is the ultimate defence to C19. Could regular gardening be a start?

    Anyway, we’ll done for beating it!

  5. #5
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    18,479
    See it everyday and have just had a bout.

    Spend SPend SPend but invest in your health and memories as trinkets wont plug a gap for long

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    See it everyday and have just had a bout.

    Spend SPend SPend but invest in your health and memories as trinkets wont plug a gap for long
    Good advice

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    See it everyday and have just had a bout.

    Spend SPend SPend but invest in your health and memories as trinkets wont plug a gap for long
    Good advice

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Glos.
    Posts
    1,464
    Always very active, gardening being part of that, plenty of walks etc just generally all round active, never one for sitting around.
    I have promised myself to get back, or even improve my fitness but at the moment simple tasks are very tiring but that's not stopping me trying.
    I'm in touch with virtual ward at my local hospital where they keep an eye on my obvs via a sat meter and temp device, they also monitor what I'm doing/sleeping/eating etc
    It's " how longs a piece of string" as to how long it takes, so I'll have to be patient I suppose
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Why not also try and improve your fitness. It seems that good health is the ultimate defence to C19. Could regular gardening be a start?

    Anyway, we’ll done for beating it!
    Sent from my SM-T590 using TZ-UK mobile app

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Glos.
    Posts
    1,464
    Absolutely, without health you have very little, and boy does covid try and ruin that.
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    See it everyday and have just had a bout.

    Spend SPend SPend but invest in your health and memories as trinkets wont plug a gap for long
    Sent from my SM-T590 using TZ-UK mobile app

  9. #9
    Out of interest have you also been double vaccinated, as I thought that was meant to stop hospitalisation?

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Glos.
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Out of interest have you also been double vaccinated, as I thought that was meant to stop hospitalisation?
    Yes, both jabs and have been very very careful.
    I have a couple of underlying issues, one being asthma.
    Speaking with the nurses/doctors etc they say that they still see people who’ve been double jabbed, as well as those that haven’t, but the difference now is that fewer are going to intensive care.
    It’s a combination of the vaccine, tocilizumab, dexamethasone and the cpap masks that are making all the difference.
    Along with their knowledge as to how to treat different people as well.
    Antibiotics are administered as well for infection control.

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South West, UK
    Posts
    1,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Always very active, gardening being part of that, plenty of walks etc just generally all round active, never one for sitting around.
    I have promised myself to get back, or even improve my fitness but at the moment simple tasks are very tiring but that's not stopping me trying.
    I'm in touch with virtual ward at my local hospital where they keep an eye on my obvs via a sat meter and temp device, they also monitor what I'm doing/sleeping/eating etc
    It's " how longs a piece of string" as to how long it takes, so I'll have to be patient I suppose


    Sent from my SM-T590 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Fair enough, makes sense. Hope you get better soon.

  12. #12
    Master Ruggertech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    3,907
    All the best to you and a hopefully not too long recovery, although it sounds as if your attitude to life and of course covid will help greatly.
    Sage advice you gave regarding getting things sorted that were on the back burner, and hence niggling away at the back of your mind, it must do good to get them out of the way.

    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Glos.
    Posts
    1,464
    Thank you.
    I might add that the gardening is a couple of hedges that need tidying up and I'm trying to lighten the load on my partner, she's got her work cut out looking after me, lol.
    After that then hopefully we'll manage ok cutting the grass etc
    As for the window cleaner, I've always hated cleaning the windows, and seeing as we have 13 normal windows, 5 huge windows and 2 sets of patio doors I just thought let someone else do it every month.
    £40 a month is worth it in my eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Fair enough, makes sense. Hope you get better soon.
    Sent from my SM-T590 using TZ-UK mobile app

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    6,051
    It is the duty of the retired man to employ the services of the artisan. That may be a slight corruption of Lord Finchly's advice but although I served an apprenticeship as a toolmaker and am reasonably good at DIY, once you retire it is time to let someone else earn a living. So now I get a man in to do everything and all I do is keep them supplied with cups of tea.

    Decluttering makes sense if you don't use stuff anymore but some clutter can be useful so do it slowly and thoughtfully.

    The worst thing you can do in retirement is to downsize. It is our duty to pass our property down to our kids because we baby boomers have had it dead easy with regards to buying property whereas are our kids and grandkids are looking at starter homes of no less than £200k. Your home is your greatest asset and it will continue to go up in value, so it should see you out in a retirement home if needs be and still leave a decent wedge to distribute once you have ceased this mortal coil.

  15. #15
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    25,909
    Well done Weirdo for getting over the worst of Covid.

    Nothing wrong with hiring a window cleaner/gardener etc in fact most people round here have them.

    I still cut the lawns, hedges, trees etc but find it a bit onerous TBH. Nice to have someone to take the pressure off.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Glos.
    Posts
    1,464
    Since retiring my life became busier, I don't work the 12 plus hour days that I did, but what I do I enjoy, and can choose whether to bother or not each day.
    I am a great believer in keeping both the body, and brain active, as I think this helps cope with retirement.
    I have seen too many people retire, whom are very fit etc and within a year or so become very old and senile, purely because they went from full time employment to nowt.
    I'll gladly let local people do a few chores for me at this present time, my time is best spent recovering, but once fit again I shall hopefully be able to do the tasks that seemed normal to me just a few short weeks ago.
    Maybe the windows can still be cleaned though, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    It is the duty of the retired man to employ the services of the artisan. That may be a slight corruption of Lord Finchly's advice but although I served an apprenticeship as a toolmaker and am reasonably good at DIY, once you retire it is time to let someone else earn a living. So now I get a man in to do everything and all I do is keep them supplied with cups of tea.

    Decluttering makes sense if you don't use stuff anymore but some clutter can be useful so do it slowly and thoughtfully.

    The worst thing you can do in retirement is to downsize. It is our duty to pass our property down to our kids because we baby boomers have had it dead easy with regards to buying property whereas are our kids and grandkids are looking at starter homes of no less than £200k. Your home is your greatest asset and it will continue to go up in value, so it should see you out in a retirement home if needs be and still leave a decent wedge to distribute once you have ceased this mortal coil.
    Sent from my SM-T590 using TZ-UK mobile app

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Glos.
    Posts
    1,464
    Sorry, forgot to add, no thoughts of downsizing, we love where we live and have worked bloody hard to get here.
    No kids to leave it to either, so basically it is all ours to enjoy, and enjoy it we will.
    We have several rentals as well, so plenty of financial back up should it be needed, but all of this is absolutely useless without your health, so that is my priority at the moment.
    I wont go down the debate as to who has had it harder in life regarding different generations, suffice to say I can remember mortgage rates of 16% when all you seemed to do was work to pay the Bills, but that's a totally different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Well done Weirdo for getting over the worst of Covid.

    Nothing wrong with hiring a window cleaner/gardener etc in fact most people round here have them.

    I still cut the lawns, hedges, trees etc but find it a bit onerous TBH. Nice to have someone to take the pressure off.
    Sent from my SM-T590 using TZ-UK mobile app

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    6,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Since retiring my life became busier, I don't work the 12 plus hour days that I did, but what I do I enjoy, and can choose whether to bother or not each day.
    I am a great believer in keeping both the body, and brain active, as I think this helps cope with retirement.
    I have seen too many people retire, whom are very fit etc and within a year or so become very old and senile, purely because they went from full time employment to nowt.
    I'll gladly let local people do a few chores for me at this present time, my time is best spent recovering, but once fit again I shall hopefully be able to do the tasks that seemed normal to me just a few short weeks ago.
    Maybe the windows can still be cleaned though, lol.

    Sent from my SM-T590 using TZ-UK mobile app
    I retired full time in 2010 so I have spent the last eleven years leading quite a nice life. I think I have managed to avoid becoming old or senile. I will soon be flying off to Spain to indulge in the Spanish lifestyle of manana where the citizens outlive the Brits by just two years and tend to be much happier and healthier because they let someone else do everything for them.

    I always learn from the ways of others.

  19. #19
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Glos.
    Posts
    1,464
    Just to Dig this back up from the depths of last year, and I don't want to add to all the confusion/debate on the other Covid thread.
    I've been feeling a bit unwell for a few weeks lately, just like a real bad cold, lateral flow tested a few times, all clear, anyway, I had a pcr come through the post last week from NHS, something about being eligible for any new treatments that may be available, sent this back yesterday and got up this morning to the news that I've got Covid again, deep joy.
    Be careful out there, I'm double jabbed with a booster and had covid before, ( as above ), hopefully I won't end up in hospital this time.
    Forgot to add, done a lateral flow test today and it's showing negative, rang the helpline to find out more and they said that lateral flow don't always pick it up until a few days in, interesting!!
    Last edited by Weirdfish; 11th January 2022 at 14:12.

  20. #20
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    9,206
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Just to Dig this back up from the depths of last year, and I don't want to add to all the confusion/debate on the other Covid thread.
    I've been feeling a bit unwell for a few weeks lately, just like a real bad cold, lateral flow tested a few times, all clear, anyway, I had a pcr come through the post last week from NHS, something about being eligible for any new treatments that may be available, sent this back yesterday and got up this morning to the news that I've got Covid again, deep joy.
    Be careful out there, I'm double jabbed with a booster and had covid before, ( as above ), hopefully I won't end up in hospital this time.
    Forgot to add, done a lateral flow test today and it's showing negative, rang the helpline to find out more and they said that lateral flow don't always pick it up until a few days in, interesting!!
    I just read on a Dutch news website that, here in Holland, 12% of all current positive tests are from people who had covid before.
    Last edited by thieuster; 11th January 2022 at 15:54.

  21. #21
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Bath,UK
    Posts
    882
    All the best Weirdfish and hoping you’re on the road to recovery, again.

    How are the windows?

  22. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    2,507
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hope you get well soon Weirdfish. As for spending, not worrying about getting the best deal and just getting what you want for a change (goods and/or services) is very liberating - and helpful for those selling you stuff and taking on work for you.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Far East (of England)
    Posts
    2,679
    I recently lost a friend who was only 42. Went into hospital with a chest infection (not Covid) and a lung collapsed. Came out three weeks later, seemed to be on the mend, then got another infection and both lungs collapsed. Intensive care and was told, life on a machine, so refused resuscitation. Didn't get any time to do any of the things planned. Make the most of every day folks.

  24. #24
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    6,570
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    I recently lost a friend who was only 42. Went into hospital with a chest infection (not Covid) and a lung collapsed. Came out three weeks later, seemed to be on the mend, then got another infection and both lungs collapsed. Intensive care and was told, life on a machine, so refused resuscitation. Didn't get any time to do any of the things planned. Make the most of every day folks.
    Bloody hell, sorry to hear this, so many stories of people passing at an relatively young age.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information