closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Corolla 2.0 or golf gti

Master

New Corolla 2.0 or golf gti

I have recently bought a 6 month old Volvo S60 at first I liked it’s firm sports suspension but after 2 months I think I have made a mistake and I have grown tired of it banging and crashing over every manhole cover and bump in the road and I am thinking of changing it for the new golf gti or Toyota Corolla 2.0 hybrid not had chance to try either does any one on here own either and can comment on what the ride is like?

I have the new MK8 GTi Golf (misses car) and really like it. Spec is fantastic, safety is brill and it shifts well enough. Ride is compliant, no issues there. It’s planted well on the road but smooths over bumps. Plus it’s a golf. Bread and butter car. Test drive both.
    Last edited by Anygreg; 7th August 2021 at 18:48.

Toyota any day of the week. Fabulous car.

Blog Entries
    If you want fun - pick the Golf.
    If you want reliable & comfortable - pick the Corolla.

I looked at the Golf GTI - but got a better deal on a BMW M140i - which is a surprisingly good all-rounder.
    Great cruiser and a step up in terms of ride from my previous M135i.

As said before - drive before you buy - as we all have our preferences.

I've had cars with poor chassis - in sporty set up (stiff springs) which had a very disappointing ride.
    Yet, cars with a better chassis set up - were more rewarding drive & had a less crashy ride.

...maybe a less sporty Volvo could be the solution ?

z
    Last edited by zelig; 7th August 2021 at 18:54.

Master
    My daughter's Volvo gives me a bachache just going down to the local! Honda for me next time I change.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

I looked at the Golf GTI - but got a better deal on a BMW M140i - which is a surprisingly good all-rounder.
    Great cruiser and a step up in terms of ride from my previous M135i.

As said before - drive before you buy - as we all have our preferences.

I've had cars with poor chassis - in sporty set up (stiff springs) which had a very disappointing ride.
    Yet, cars with a better chassis set up - were more rewarding drive & had a less crashy ride.

...maybe a less sporty Volvo could be the solution ?

z
    Thanks I tried the inscription version of the s60 which is supposed to be softer sprung than the r design I have but it was very similar and from what I’ve read most of the new Volvos suffer from a bad ride unless you spec the expensive adaptive suspension

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    My daughter's Volvo gives me a bachache just going down to the local! Honda for me next time I change.
    What Volvo was it the seats in the s60 are the best I’ve ever sat in if they could get the ride right like other manufacturers seem to it would be a fantastic car

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Thanks I tried the inscription version of the s60 which is supposed to be softer sprung than the r design I have but it was very similar and from what I’ve read most of the new Volvos suffer from a bad ride unless you spec the expensive adaptive suspension
    Same as most manufacturers. Buying the golf without adaptive dampers would be silly if you're after ride comfort.

Toyota would worry me from a safety point of view. Pretty sure you'd fall asleep at the wheel in something that dull.

Master
    I’ve got a company car - Toyota Corolla touring sports ( estate ) hybrid.

It’s an auto and the top spec, can’t knock it at all great drive and all the tech you can have. Had no issues with it in 2.5 year.

My son has the mk7.5 golf gti and I find the ride in it harder and harsher than my 3 series 335i. Again this may be personal but I find the seats in it also really uncomfortable.

So make sure you go for a very long test drive in one if it’s on your list.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

z
    Agree with this 100%.
    The Golf will be a lot more fun to drive, so it really depends on what you're looking for.

As you know changing cars is always expensive, with a hit taken in the sale and premium in the purchase. Unless you take a risk and hassle of private purchase.

I am always amazed at people who chop in cars because of minor niggles.

I’m reality, how much time do you spend riding over bumps and manholes. A few side roads?

Learn to live with it is my advice, and save yourself a wedge of cash in the process.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    As you know changing cars is always expensive, with a hit taken in the sale and premium in the purchase. Unless you take a risk and hassle of private purchase.

I am always amazed at people who chop in cars because of minor niggles.

I’m reality, how much time do you spend riding over bumps and manholes. A few side roads?

Learn to live with it is my advice, and save yourself a wedge of cash in the process.
    The suspension is bad on all roads except perhaps decent bits of motorway all the roads were I live are in a bad state of repair which aren’t a problem in the normal cars I’ve had before life’s too short not to be happy with a very expensive car if I can change it,I suppose it was my fault but the roads I test drove it on were nothing like as bad as were I live, something I never gave any thought too till I had bought it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noms2000 View Post
    Agree with this 100%.
    The Golf will be a lot more fun to drive, so it really depends on what you're looking for.
    From the reviews I’ve read the new 2.0 Corolla is good to drive does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds

Craftsman
    As others have said the new Corolla and a Golf GTi are very different types of car.

I found a Golf GTi with 19" wheels was hard work on todays poorly maintained roads, even with the adaptive chassis control set permanently to comfort. In the end I replaced the 19" wheels with 18" which was an improvement but still not great.

If the Volvo is on 18" or 19" wheels one option might be to change to 17" with a higher profile tyre.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    As others have said the new Corolla and a Golf GTi are very different types of car.

I found a Golf GTi with 19" wheels was hard work on todays poorly maintained roads, even with the adaptive chassis control set permanently to comfort. In the end I replaced the 19" wheels with 18" which was an improvement but still not great.

If the Volvo is on 18" or 19" wheels one option might be to change to 17" with a higher profile tyre.
    I got the dealers to change from 19 to 18s which are the standard fit already and it made hardly any difference I will have to try a golf but it doesn't sound promising I think the problem is any car nowadays unless it's poverty spec has massive wheels and low profile tyres

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I got the dealers to change from 19 to 18s which are the standard fit already and it made hardly any difference I will have to try a golf but it doesn't sound promising I think the problem is any car nowadays unless it's poverty spec has massive wheels and low profile tyres
    Prior to the current lockdown we used to go to Europe quite frequently for both cycling and road-trips, it never ceased to amaze me how good and well maintained continental roads are and well suited to low profile tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    My son has the mk7.5 golf gti and I find the ride in it harder and harsher than my 3 series 335i. Again this may be personal but I find the seats in it also really uncomfortable.
    Sports mode and big wheels and low profile tyres?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Sports mode and big wheels and low profile tyres?
    I think it has 18” alloys, no idea about what mode or even if it can be changed to be honest. My 335i has 19” alloys and I find the seats more comfortable and the ride not as harsh.