closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 301 to 350 of 405

Thread: Premier League 2021-22

  1. #301
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    28,479
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    What difference does that make? I thought your argument was about the existence of money, not where it comes from?
    Enjoy the next champions Newcastle. I am sure they will find a couple of hundred thousand Chinese that will lap up the £100 team jerseys.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

    Terry McAuliffe

  2. #302
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    5,174
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    What difference does that make? I thought your argument was about the existence of money, not where it comes from?
    There was never owners willing to lose hundreds of millions of pounds just to get their teams a championship.
    Man Utd was always the biggest club in terms of size and support but it wasn't able to buy them titles in the 70s and 80s until Ferguson came. The difference in wealth was nowhere near the same.
    It's ridiculous that a team like Newcastle will likely be champions within 5 years by doing nothing as a club but having caught the eye of a murderous regime.
    I thought City and PSG was sickening enough but this ramps it up another level.

  3. #303
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    28,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    It's ridiculous that a team like Newcastle will likely be champions within 5 years by doing nothing as a club but having caught the eye of a murderous regime.
    I thought City and PSG was sickening enough but this ramps it up another level.
    +1
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

    Terry McAuliffe

  4. #304
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Agreed. It’s a wonderful city surround by gorgeous countryside and beaches, and the people are lovely. I spent about 7 months up there recently and I’d move there tomorrow if I could.

    Anything that might attract millionaire footballers? I wasn't for one second deriding the area or the people just pointing out that footballers tend to flock together, while piles or money will no doubt make the area more attractive beaches and countryside won't.

    I've had some great nights out in Newcastle but it's not London Paris Milan Madrid or Rome is it?

  5. #305
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Leics
    Posts
    6,709
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Anything that might attract millionaire footballers? I wasn't for one second deriding the area or the people just pointing out that footballers tend to flock together, while piles or money will no doubt make the area more attractive beaches and countryside won't.

    I've had some great nights out in Newcastle but it's not London Paris Milan Madrid or Rome is it?
    It's not London, but neither are Liverpool or Manchester.

  6. #306
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    28,479
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Anything that might attract millionaire footballers?
    Other than more of those millions, you mean?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

    Terry McAuliffe

  7. #307
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    5,174
    [QUOTE=kace;5850103.

    I've had some great nights out in Newcastle but it's not London Paris Milan Madrid or Rome is it?[/QUOTE]

    The girls don't own jackets either from what I can remember of a few nights out there.

  8. #308
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    I've had some great nights out in Newcastle but it's not London Paris Milan Madrid or Rome is it?
    And that means what exactly? Believe it or not we actually do have shops, pubs, and restaurants just like any other place. If there is something we don't have then it can be ordered on line these days.

    I mean are you actually saying because they are bigger capital city's that makes them better.

    The North East as a whole is a beautiful place to be and live. I'm no millionaire but even if I was I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be.

    It's about opinions and it seems yours is rather low in regards to Newcastle.



    Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

  9. #309
    In regards to Newcastle I wonder who their first big statement signing al la Robinho will be. I think they could land Kane as interest may simmer down from the other big clubs.

    I think it will be a few seasons of finishing in the top 4 before they can truly tempt the top talent of world football I don’t think you’d see M’bappe or Haland decide to sign for them just yet.

    I also don’t think location will be an issue for them and if it is I don’t think it’s anything they cant surmount with a few more £ thrown in

  10. #310
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Anything that might attract millionaire footballers? I wasn't for one second deriding the area or the people just pointing out that footballers tend to flock together, while piles or money will no doubt make the area more attractive beaches and countryside won't.

    I've had some great nights out in Newcastle but it's not London Paris Milan Madrid or Rome is it?
    You think 20 odd year old multi millionaire footballers are signing contracts based on the cultural heritage of a city?

    I am sure they are pretty familiar with planes, cars and other means of transport should they wish to visit Big Ben or the Houses of Parliament.

  11. #311
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    12,348
    What I'd say is those footballers playing for London teams don't actually live or train in London. Chelsea/ Arsenal etc have their training grounds in Surrey/Hertfordshire and the players live nearby so they don't actually get a London experience anyway. It isn't like they are living in Mayfair.

  12. #312
    Master thegoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    There was never owners willing to lose hundreds of millions of pounds just to get their teams a championship.
    Man Utd was always the biggest club in terms of size and support but it wasn't able to buy them titles in the 70s and 80s until Ferguson came. The difference in wealth was nowhere near the same.
    It's ridiculous that a team like Newcastle will likely be champions within 5 years by doing nothing as a club but having caught the eye of a murderous regime.
    I thought City and PSG was sickening enough but this ramps it up another level.
    Who are these owners willing to lose hundreds of millions?
    You’ve used Utd as some kind of financial barometer which bears no relevance to todays game . When Ferguson came into Old Trafford he was backed with money beyond any available to other clubs at the time . Besides Fergusons greatness, he also spent a whole heap of money .
    Why is it ridiculous that Newcastle will be challenging soon ? Would you prefer a closed shop approach where only two or three teams can compete ? Maybe you’d prefer the much vaunted Bundesliga with the Bayern Munich success year on year ?

  13. #313
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    28,479
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Who are these owners willing to lose hundreds of millions?
    I have no idea. One might want to look at their clubs' balance sheets for a hint?



    Source

    More info, also with numbers pre-Covid: here.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

    Terry McAuliffe

  14. #314
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Anything that might attract millionaire footballers? I wasn't for one second deriding the area or the people just pointing out that footballers tend to flock together, while piles or money will no doubt make the area more attractive beaches and countryside won't.

    I've had some great nights out in Newcastle but it's not London Paris Milan Madrid or Rome is it?
    No Newcastle’s a better night out


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #315
    Master thegoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,639
    You don’t have to be patronizing Raffe , it’s a poor trait.
    Sheikh Mansour ( not Abu Dhabi . This bit is pretty important ) paid £212 million for City in 2008 . Since then he has invested 1.8 billion in the infrastructure of the club including players, new training facilities and a huge spend on the surrounding areas. Even if you ignore the fact that he has since sold 25% of his holdings to a Chinese consortium and an American group for a handsome return on his initial outlay, the club is worth circa 4 billion . I’d imagine Abramovic has made similar amounts on his outlay . Not bad when you think about it.
    They are business men . They might not remember Bert Trautmann but they know how to make money .

  16. #316
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    28,479
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    You don’t have to be patronizing Raffe , it’s a poor trait.
    Sheikh Mansour ( not Abu Dhabi . This bit is pretty important ) paid £212 million for City in 2008 . Since then he has invested 1.8 billion in the infrastructure of the club including players, new training facilities and a huge spend on the surrounding areas. Even if you ignore the fact that he has since sold 25% of his holdings to a Chinese consortium and an American group for a handsome return on his initial outlay, the club is worth circa 4 billion . I’d imagine Abramovic has made similar amounts on his outlay . Not bad when you think about it.
    They are business men . They might not remember Bert Trautmann but they know how to make money .
    But that's exactly my point.

    Foreign business people are pumping infinite amounts of money into these clubs in order to make money for themselves, how on the planet is this still the same club? It isn't. I honestly don't understand how fans can appreciate that happening to their clubs. You have me completely lost.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

    Terry McAuliffe

  17. #317
    Master thegoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    But that's exactly my point.

    Foreign business people are pumping infinite amounts of money into these clubs in order to make money for themselves, how on the planet is this still the same club? It isn't. I honestly don't understand how fans can appreciate that happening to their clubs. You have me completely lost.
    So , whilst everything around us moves on , football should stand still and stick to its roots ? How on earth does that make any sense? Does your displeasure to foreigners taking over English clubs extend to fans who choose to follow them too ? Because that’s not the same club either, surely ?

  18. #318
    Grand Master jwg663's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    21.5 km From Moscow
    Posts
    14,909
    Quote Originally Posted by j17ykp View Post
    In regards to Newcastle I wonder who their first big statement signing al la Robinho will be. I think they could land Kane as interest may simmer down from the other big clubs.

    I think it will be a few seasons of finishing in the top 4 before they can truly tempt the top talent of world football I don’t think you’d see M’bappe or Haland decide to sign for them just yet.

    I also don’t think location will be an issue for them and if it is I don’t think it’s anything they cant surmount with a few more £ thrown in
    The elephant in the room is that NUFC need to get to the January transfer window in some sort of shape to attract the quality of players that the fans expect to sign for the club. Frankly, the takeover has occurred at the wrong time of the season.

    There's nothing welcoming in, "Come to NUFC, we're stone-bottom & locked in a relegation battle for the rest of this season. It's possible that next season you can enjoy midweek matches in Hull, Blackburn, Luton & Reading instead of all that faff travelling to Paris, Munich, Barcelona & Rome for the CL. By the way, nobody'll respect you in the Championship & you'll get kicked from pillar to post: the upside is you'll never be fitter as it's all played at 100mph. The money's great though! Sign here..."
    ______

    ​Jim.

  19. #319
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    28,479
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    So , whilst everything around us moves on , football should stand still and stick to its roots ? How on earth does that make any sense? Does your displeasure to foreigners taking over English clubs extend to fans who choose to follow them too ? Because that’s not the same club either, surely ?
    Nothing ever stands still, but it's a farce that this is supposedly a sporting competition when it is indeed nothing but a game of biggest means.

    I find the starting point of people owning clubs wrong. Next step it's done like in the US where the concept of relegation doesn't even exist (wasn't that the point of the Super League?).

    Got nothing to do with fair competition. Imagine, you are a hard working club, developing the team one step at a time, growing slowly in strength until the poorly managed club from the next city is taken over by the murderous ruler of a country 3,000 miles away. There is simply no fairness, it's only about which club has the most potent backer and they'll buy their way to success, sell lots of team jerseys along the way and finally will have a valuation of 4 billion.

    What does that have to do with sports?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

    Terry McAuliffe

  20. #320
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    The elephant in the room is that NUFC need to get to the January transfer window in some sort of shape to attract the quality of players that the fans expect to sign for the club. Frankly, the takeover has occurred at the wrong time of the season.

    There's nothing welcoming in, "Come to NUFC, we're stone-bottom & locked in a relegation battle for the rest of this season. It's possible that next season you can enjoy midweek matches in Hull, Blackburn, Luton & Reading instead of all that faff travelling to Paris, Munich, Barcelona & Rome for the CL. By the way, nobody'll respect you in the Championship & you'll get kicked from pillar to post: the upside is you'll never be fitter as it's all played at 100mph. The money's great though! Sign here..."
    They dont need to do any of that, just sign the right players that are going to keep them up and consider an interim manager until the end of the season. Come the summer they can start a serious rebuild with a decent manager.

  21. #321
    Grand Master mart broad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    11,595
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    They dont need to do any of that, just sign the right players that are going to keep them up and consider an interim manager until the end of the season. Come the summer they can start a serious rebuild with a decent manager.
    Agree this Season is dead it’s a matter of EPL survival then the rebuild next personally and no disrespect NUFC i would laugh like a drain if you got relegated
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

  22. #322
    The good news for NUFC fans is it's a bit early to appoint Mourinhio, he's only just started at Roma so it'll be at least another year before he'll get the sack and become available.

  23. #323
    Grand Master jwg663's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    21.5 km From Moscow
    Posts
    14,909
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    ...and consider an interim manager until the end of the season...
    Big Sam will be dubbining up his Stylo Matchmakers in anticipation of the call.
    ______

    ​Jim.

  24. #324
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Big Sam will be dubbining up his Stylo Matchmakers in anticipation of the call.
    Big Sam Allardichi

    Dont forget, if he had a different sounding name apparently he would be manager of Real Madrid

  25. #325
    Grand Master jwg663's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    21.5 km From Moscow
    Posts
    14,909
    David Squire of the Guardian's weekly comic strip is all about NUFC -

    https://www.theguardian.com/football...saudi-takeover
    ______

    ​Jim.

  26. #326

    Premier League 2021-22

    Quote Originally Posted by j17ykp View Post
    In regards to Newcastle I wonder who their first big statement signing al la Robinho will be.
    Tubby ‘Kick, Head, Smooooke’ Brewster or Julio Geordio.

    http://youtu.be/DGbZdrcqXA8

    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 12th October 2021 at 18:18.

  27. #327
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    28,479
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    St Pauli blah blah blah



    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

    Terry McAuliffe

  28. #328
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    12,348
    Adios Ole

  29. #329
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post


    Yep, up for a season down the next

    Clown face emojis etc etc ….

  30. #330
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    28,479
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Yep, up for a season down the next

    Clown face emojis etc etc ….
    Since you are here, which part of Sankt Pauli's moral compass do you find questionable?

    Is it the non-violence, the diversity, the sustainability, the ecology or their strictly anti-fascist, anti-racist, anti-discrimination and pro human rights ideology?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

    Terry McAuliffe

  31. #331
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Since you are here, which part of Sankt Pauli's moral compass do you find questionable?

    Is it the non-violence, the diversity, the sustainability, the ecology or their strictly anti-fascist, anti-racist, anti-discrimination and pro human rights ideology?
    Since I am here? It’s a thread about the premier league not the lower German leagues so perhaps you should ask yourself that question.

  32. #332
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    28,479
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Since I am here? It’s a thread about the premier league not the lower German leagues so perhaps you should ask yourself that question.
    But you were the one saying that Sankt Pauli had "a very questionable moral compass and have milked their fans (and those who buy into the whole “Radical rebel”thing) dry".

    Care to elaborate? I know that you are supporting a club with a long history of racism and xenophobia, so maybe you could elaborate what's wrong with Sankt Pauli's moral compass?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

    Terry McAuliffe

  33. #333
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    36,979
    Back on topic, that was a fantastic goal that Mo Salah scored today.

  34. #334
    Master Wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    6,419
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Back on topic, that was a fantastic goal that Mo Salah scored today.
    Nearly as good Tielemans!

  35. #335
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    2,745
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Back on topic, that was a fantastic goal that Mo Salah scored today.
    He’s unreal so far this season.

  36. #336
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    He’s unreal so far this season.
    Will be interesting to see how his contract is sorted out, couple more years at the club and he could be writing his name in club history as one of the greats.

  37. #337
    I'm getting slightly concerned that we owe being top of the league to having probably the world's best goalkeeper.

  38. #338
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    28,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    Thought so.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

    Terry McAuliffe

  39. #339
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    3,441
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    I'm getting slightly concerned that we owe being top of the league to having probably the world's best goalkeeper.
    £72 million for Kepa Arrizabalaga, wasn’t that a world record fee for a keeper? Ouch! I think Mendy cost “just” £18 million. He always seems to get overlooked when the conversation turns to the best current goalkeepers, but he’s definitely there or thereabouts.

  40. #340
    Master thegoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,639
    The Save Our Ole campaign seems doomed at the minute.
    Might be nice for Liverpool to give it a boost next week .

  41. #341
    Talksport was rampant last night with callers wanting Ole out, quite a few of them wanting Rodgers to replace him. Seems a bizarre choice.

  42. #342
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    3,441
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    The Save Our Ole campaign seems doomed at the minute.
    Might be nice for Liverpool to give it a boost next week .
    Steve Bruce will likely be available soon. Replace one legend with another? Mind you, what exactly has Steve Bruce done wrong? He’s kept them in the top flight with little in the way of transfer funds.

  43. #343
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Steve Bruce will likely be available soon. Replace one legend with another? Mind you, what exactly has Steve Bruce done wrong? He’s kept them in the top flight with little in the way of transfer funds.
    Being an ex-Sunderland manager he was never going to get off to the greatest start.

  44. #344
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    12,348
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    The Save Our Ole campaign seems doomed at the minute.
    Might be nice for Liverpool to give it a boost next week .
    In Big Sam we Trust

  45. #345
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    pride of the north
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    The Save Our Ole campaign seems doomed at the minute.
    Might be nice for Liverpool to give it a boost next week .
    Now wouldn’t that be extra sweet, seem to remember we did a similar boost for the special one :)

  46. #346
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    england
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    He’s unreal so far this season.
    He’s been unreal for the 5 years. He’s genuinely ridiculous and arguably the best player in the world.

    He holds basically every attacking record in the prem now.

  47. #347
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    M62 corridor
    Posts
    3,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    He’s been unreal for the 5 years. He’s genuinely ridiculous and arguably the best player in the world.

    He holds basically every attacking record in the prem now.
    I thought it was a touch of genius for Klopp to say that Salah is the best player in the world. Are Liverpool not currently trying to get him to extend his contract? Salah can now say "the manager says I'm the best in the world so I trust you'll pay me as such" - what's that going to be, £500k/£1m pw??

  48. #348
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    12,348
    Urgent appointment for Bruce at the Saudi Embassy I suspect

  49. #349
    Grand Master jwg663's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    21.5 km From Moscow
    Posts
    14,909
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Just get Shelvey to do it. It's well-within his skillset...
    ______

    ​Jim.

  50. #350
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    england
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I thought it was a touch of genius for Klopp to say that Salah is the best player in the world. Are Liverpool not currently trying to get him to extend his contract? Salah can now say "the manager says I'm the best in the world so I trust you'll pay me as such" - what's that going to be, £500k/£1m pw??
    I think it’s a case of pay him 500k a week or sell him for 200m.

    He equalled Droga’s record yesterday of 104 goals ( the most for an African player ).

    But Salah did it in 89 games less!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information