closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier League 2021-22

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Nice dig at the North East. Ever been? Whilst I agree the attraction of the capital is huge, especially for young lads with loads of cash, I don’t see how the North West is very much more attractive than Northumberland for example. Some amazing locations and property here.

I have been, took ages, flew the last time. And that's the problem, Cheshire is full of footballers, well the nice bits are. Newcastle and the north east whilst having some lovely countryside, beaches and places to visit is short on mock Tudor mansions and connections to big cities with things to do. It's not London Paris or Milan

Seriously you've been once. Don't criticise what you don't know about.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Well if you say so, once it is. I don't have a mate living near Morpeth and have never been to watch football at st James park, roaker or the stadium of light.

I'm not knocking the area, for normal people it's lovely. Footballers want what footballers want and that's why I'd suggest it won't be terribly attractive to them .

Didn't owen stay in Cheshire and fly in for training in his chopper?

Mike Ashley lives in Whetstone, London.

Never been to Newcastle but I have lived and worked in Liverpool for a number of years and it’s not stopped Liverpool having a world class team. There’s some lovely affluent parts of Liverpool as well as some less attractive areas. Im sure most large towns are the same.

I see all these sort of comments about sports washing and human rights yet people either don’t realise the world we live in involves so much unethical behaviour that impacts on our day to day lives or they simply use it as a lazy means to bash a team because they can’t engage in sensible debate. Can’t see too many people refusing to watch the World Cup because of the number of workers killed building the stadiums in Qatar. It should never have gone there in the first place but it just shows how money rules these days.

The fans just want to support their team and see some great football.
    Last edited by sevvy; 8th October 2021 at 10:03.

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Allow sport to be sport by giving another team the cheat code?

The sports dead, long live the deepest wallet contest.

Although their biggest task will be making Newcastle attractive as a city, I suspect many players will prefer to live near London or Cheshire.
    Out of interest, when was this decided? Was it when Arsenal and Utd carved up the league between them and regularly broke the transfer spending record ? Maybe when Chelsea were taken over and they could compete? Or City with their filthy oil cheat money ?
    Deepest pockets have regularly driven a club upwards , not just since the Premier League was formed.

An$ that tired argument about making somewhere attractive ? If West Ham offer £200 k a week for Lingard and Newcastle offer £300 k ,there’s only one place he’s going . It’s like people have this idea of footballers walking around shopping centres tut tutting at the state of the place . It’s laughable . Most weeks, they willbe training , then playing . If they get time off , do you think they Uber into Manchester or Newcastle or Glasgow city centre or do they fly off to Ibiza or New York or Buenos Aires?

Football has lost its innocence many moons ago, whether the corruption at the highest level of FIFA and UEFA or the introduction of unlimited financial resources to effectively buy titles and league membership - but the takeover of Newcastle by this murderous bunch certainly marks a new low. I cannot state how disgusted I am that such people are allowed to enter the sport that I love so much. Special kudos to Boris for fixing this for his buddy MBS.

I can only hope that some upstanding Newcastle fans will fly Khashoggi flags on the stands.

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

I guess this takeover seems so unpleasant as now you don't need to find a rich billionaire to take over your club anymore, you need a rich nation state to be able to play at the top level. And if they happen to have a reprehensible human rights record, well we'll ignore that because every one else does and 'it's only sport'.

Are those blueprints for the Super League still knocking around?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Football has lost its innocence many moons ago, whether the corruption at the highest level of FIFA and UEFA or the introduction of unlimited financial resources to effectively buy titles and league membership - but the takeover of Newcastle by this murderous bunch certainly marks a new low. I cannot state how disgusted I am that such people are allowed to enter the sport that I love so much. Special kudos to Boris for fixing this for his buddy MBS.

I can only hope that some upstanding Newcastle fans will fly Khashoggi flags on the stands.

+1

His widow has also spoken about this today.
    Perhaps those celebrating this could spare a moment and read what she has to say?

I have taken time to read what she's had to say and I genuinely feel her pain and empathise with her situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
    +1

His widow has also spoken about this today.
    Perhaps those celebrating this could spare a moment and read what she has to say?

Although their biggest task will be making Newcastle attractive as a city, I suspect many players will prefer to live near London or Cheshire.
    I don't live there but Newcastle is an amazing city. There are some fabulous
    properties all over and river view pads.
    Most of all are the warmth and welcoming Newcastle people and voted one of the top places to go out on a night.... footballers will love the place.
    I love the shopping up there too and if you southerners cared to visit Newcastle you'd have a change of heart.

NUFC are in a pile of trouble here.

They're second-bottom of the PL. They've not won a game, drawn 3 & lost 4. They've conceded twice as many goals as they've scored.

The manager & coaching team are 'dead men walking'. They have 13 league matches between now & the transfer window opening in January (that includes one on 01.01.22). A point a game until then would, I think, be an optimistic forecast.

A new manager coming in quickly may give them a bit of a 'dead cat bounce', but with several new players mooted to arrive in January he'll struggle to keep the underperforming, current, first-teamers motivated.

Hopefully, the position will be recoverable in January & NUFC isn't adrift at the bottom of the table.

It's gonna get ugly before it gets beautiful...
    ______

​Jim.

There's some of that I agree and disagree with. Bruce is a dead man walking however the players now have the opportunity to be part of something special which I'm sure will raise performance levels and keep motivation high. So I see new manager bounce and better performances as being a pretty sure thing. If we could get four wins and three draws from those 13 games (an additional 15 points which Norwich and Burnley aren't going to get) then we'll be OK. It's a lot of ifs, buts and maybes but we have to look on the bright side.

We escaped relegation to the third tier on the last day and almost won the EPL three years later. Keep the faith.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post

They're second-bottom of the PL. They've not won a game, drawn 3 & lost 4. They've conceded twice as many goals as they've scored.

The manager & coaching team are 'dead men walking'. They have 13 league matches between now & the transfer window opening in January (that includes one on 01.01.22). A point a game until then would, I think, be an optimistic forecast.

A new manager coming in quickly may give them a bit of a 'dead cat bounce', but with several new players mooted to arrive in January he'll struggle to keep the underperforming, current, first-teamers motivated.

Hopefully, the position will be recoverable in January & NUFC isn't adrift at the bottom of the table.

Blog Entries

Reckon your spot on Bruce and team will be gone just who they will get is a unknown as i cannot see a “ name” coming in mind you the good news is Harry Kane is taking “ Geordie speak” lessons i hear.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

After 14 years of negativity under Ashley some pre beauty ugliness, even if it involves relegation, won't be a problem for the 50,000+ who attend St. James. The games between now and January will show which players are up for the fight and worthy of being kept on, otherwise off you go. I might pop up for a pint next home game, the crack in the Bodega should be tremendous.
    F.T.F.A.

Spot on. How about a route of Crown Posada, Bacchus, Old George, Bodega and then SJP?

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    After 14 years of negativity under Ashley some pre beauty ugliness, even if it involves relegation, won't be a problem for the 50,000+ who attend St. James. The games between now and January will show which players are up for the fight and worthy of being kept on, otherwise off you go. I might pop up for a pint next home game, the crack in the Bodega should be tremendous.

If we could get four wins and three draws from those 13 games (an additional 15 points which Norwich and Burnley aren't going to get) then we'll be OK. It's a lot of ifs, buts and maybes but we have to look on the bright side...
    As Haruki Murakami said when he was given a free transfer by Nagoya Grampus, 'There is nothing so cruel in this world as the desolation of having nothing to hope for.'

You've got Spurs, Palace, Chelsea, Brighton, Brentford, Arsenal, Norwich, Leicester, Liverpool, ManC, ManU, Everton & Southampton in the run-up to New Year. Who are you targeting for your 4 wins & 3 draws? Every single one of them, Norwich included, is targeting NUFC.

As I wrote, it's ugly.
    ______

​Jim.

Spot on. How about a route of Crown Posada, Bacchus, Old George, Bodega and then SJP?

The Crown, Bacchus and Bodega were part of the Sir John Fitzgerald chain which was sold to the Ladhar Group last December, and unfortunately the Crown is the only one yet to re-open post lockdown. I understand there is work being done in the pub. From what I've heard the Old George isn't what it used to be. My usual route for an hour or three up the Toon is (from Central Station) to walk over the High Level to Gateshead to the Central, then down Bottle Bank and over the Swing Bridge to the Crown Posada, thence up Side to the Bridge Hotel. Depending on the time and trains I might then pop into the tiled magnificence that is the Centurion bar in Central Station. All moot until the Crown reopens to make it all worthwhile.
    F.T.F.A.

Well if you say so, once it is. I don't have a mate living near Morpeth and have never been to watch football at st James park, roaker or the stadium of light.

I'm not knocking the area, for normal people it's lovely. Footballers want what footballers want and that's why I'd suggest it won't be terribly attractive to them .

Didn't owen stay in Cheshire and fly in for training in his chopper?
    You forget one thing.
    Money talks and I doubt many would turn down a pile of cash as a contract.
    I'm pretty sure we'll get whoever they go after or pretty much most of them. Yes we're in the North but most will look that little point over when there offered stupid amounts of money.

Last edited by sickie; 8th October 2021 at 18:06.

thence up Side to the Bridge Hotel.
    For those who think magirus slipped into a Yorkshire accent there actually is a street just called "side".

I went through that route in my mind as I read it :-) classic way to go.

Master
    Yikes!

I really don't get it. Do fans of a club really welcome that somebody is coming out of nowhere and is going to buy a completely new team and from then on they compete for the European ranks?

Honestly, that is everything that's wrong with modern football. I'd rather see my team relegated than somebody with a big bag of money taking over and playing with it for a couple of years.

Suppose this is cultural, my background is from Germany where teams have no owners - the smallest deviation from this tradition is widely condemned amongst fans (Leipzig, Wolfsburg, Hoffenheim). Not saying there is no money involved in German football, but at least it is somewhat more straightforward as it has to be earned before it's spent. And before you say it, yes there is external capital chasing German clubs as well, whether it's Schalke and their Gazprom millions or Hertha and slimy financier Windhorst m- and I do not like it at all. I have cancelled my membership with Hertha last year for that very reason.

What really confuses me is that nobody seems to care where the money comes from as long as it buys a place in the Champions League. We probably have Abramovich to thank for that. But blood money???

Unfortunately it's the way of English / premiere league football clubs. It's a multi billion pound industry and nothing will change that now.

Long gone are the day's of locally owned clubs. Other than West ham that is.

I just don't get it. As a fan, do I wish for somebody from the other end of the world to come and buy my club so that we won't be relegated? Sorry, I'd rather go down into the fifth league than being owned by the Saudi blood fund.

YMMV.

Master
    I really don't get it. Do fans of a club really welcome that somebody is coming out of nowhere and is going to buy a completely new team and from then on they compete for the European ranks?

Honestly, that is everything that's wrong with modern football. I'd rather see my team relegated than somebody with a big bag of money taking over and playing with it for a couple of years.

Suppose this is cultural, my background is from Germany where teams have no owners - the smallest deviation from this tradition is widely condemned amongst fans (Leipzig, Wolfsburg, Hoffenheim). Not saying there is no money involved in German football, but at least it is somewhat more straightforward as it has to be earned before it's spent. And before you say it, yes there is external capital chasing German clubs as well, whether it's Schalke and their Gazprom millions or Hertha and slimy financier Windhorst m- and I do not like it at all. I have cancelled my membership with Hertha last year for that very reason.

What really confuses me is that nobody seems to care where the money comes from as long as it buys a place in the Champions League. We probably have Abramovich to thank for that. But blood money???
    Agree completely

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Yikes!

Heard today that the new NUFC owners are the wealthiest worth about £300 + Billion
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Heard today that the new NUFC owners are the wealthiest worth about £300 + Billion
    Yes. Apparently worth about 330 Billion quid. I doubt they'll look to be making that much of a dent to that fortune tho lol. Maybe a billion or so over the next few year's

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Why can't these t***s stick to horse racing and human right's abuse for their kicks.
    Absolute joke.
    Abramovich now looks like a proper old school owner amongst the Sheiks.

Next thing you know they'll be using profanities on public fora then Lord help them.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Next thing you know they'll be using profanities on public fora then Lord help them.
    Not sure that is a profanity to be honest
    Thought about it but went with the gut that it wasn't.

Twat isn't profanity imo. Had this debate on here before.

Not every four letter word is profanity.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    T**t isn't profanity imo. Had this debate on here before.

Not every four letter word is profanity.

Can you link to the debate please? I don't recall Eddie saying this was OK for use in the public areas of the forum, you know, stuff that family, minors etc can view.
    F.T.F.A.

Can you link to the debate please? I don't recall Eddie saying this was OK for use in the public areas of the forum, you know, stuff that family, minors etc can view.
    I don't recall Eddie saying it wasn't ok either, he wasn't part of the debate.

Can't remember which thread it was in but should be easily searchable. No one seemed to be able to give a definitive, just their own view, however David Cameron used it in an interview while in office if that sways you.

Yep agree with this and also just buying a load of players with a 'whatever it costs' mentality isn't really doing things the traditional way. Then again the Newcastle fans would be able to see some of the best players in the world playing for them and to be fair those fans are some of the best fans around and have been mistreated first by the Shepherd family, then Mike Ashley and so if anyone deserves for things to look up it is those fans who would still attend games with 50k fans in the stadium when Newcastle were in the 2nd tier of English football.

I do have a soft spot for them as I always felt they were the best away fans when they came to Arsenal and also Newcatle is a really cool city with loads of great bars.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I don't recall Eddie saying it wasn't ok either, he wasn't part of the debate.

Can't remember which thread it was in but should be easily searchable. No one seemed to be able to give a definitive, just their own view, however David Cameron used it in an interview while in office if that sways you.

Eddie not saying it's OK doesn't mean it is. David Cameron has never had any input into the way this forum runs as far as I'm aware. It's not me who needs to be swayed, just the forum owner, as and when he's aware of this.
    F.T.F.A.

Eddie not saying it's OK doesn't mean it is. David Cameron has never had any input into the way this forum runs as far as I'm aware. It's not me who needs to be swayed, just the forum owner, as and when he's aware of this.
    I know it doesn't and the inverse is also true.

Look's like Daniel Levy has chucked his toy's out of the pram already. Trying to block sponsorship deals before any have begun lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Yep agree with this and also just buying a load of players with a 'whatever it costs' mentality isn't really doing things the traditional way. Then again the Newcastle fans would be able to see some of the best players in the world playing for them and to be fair those fans are some of the best fans around and have been mistreated first by the Shepherd family, then Mike Ashley and so if anyone deserves for things to look up it is those fans who would still attend games with 50k fans in the stadium when Newcastle were in the 2nd tier of English football.

I do have a soft spot for them as I always felt they were the best away fans when they came to Arsenal and also Newcatle is a really cool city with loads of great bars.
    Sankt Pauli also has the best fans in Germany and the best bars anyway - but I can assure you that nobody would be welcome with bags of money to replace half of the team during the winter break. They'd rather be relegated than do monkey business like that (and that's before the fact that this is the people who killed a journalist with a bone saw).

Master

Premier League 2021-22

Good God man.
    Do you honestly want Mr EP to write out a list.
    You’re old enough to draw your own conclusion on something.
    I don’t consider it profane but you obviously differ
    Not worth your worry time honestly.

Also I’d be worried about my kids if they are reading Tz for kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Unfortunately it's the way of English / premiere league football clubs. It's a multi billion pound industry and nothing will change that now.

Long gone are the day's of locally owned clubs. Other than West ham that is.

Living proof that you don't need tons of money to do well in the premiership.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I just don't get it. As a fan, do I wish for somebody from the other end of the world to come and buy my club so that we won't be relegated? Sorry, I'd rather go down into the fifth league than being owned by the Saudi blood fund.

YMMV.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Agreed.

Football is dead, fans forgotten in the rush for the 39th game, kickoff times to please TV viewers, a super League that would have destroyed competition in the league as we know it. Next the chairmen voting to end relegation?

I've been going to arsenal all my life, traveled around the country following them...which had to stop when matches started moving at short notice with no thought to the likes of me, and now what I see has never been better, played in better safer stadiums but the soul is gone... Replaced by a commercial enterprise that sees me as a 'legacy fan'

Sad.

Master
    Sankt Pauli also has the best fans in Germany and the best bars anyway - but I can assure you that nobody would be welcome with bags of money to replace half of the team during the winter break. They'd rather be relegated than do monkey business like that (and that's before the fact that this is the people who killed a journalist with a bone saw).
    I wondered if FC St Pauli would be your team. I don’t particularly follow German football, but I always look to see how St Pauli and Dortmund are doing. St Pauli fans are a class act indeed.

Yeah I agree with the frustrations, and the fact Newcastle are now gonna benefit from a state with a questionable human rights record using them for sports washing purposes adds to it for me.

I’ve been a Tottenham fan all my life (a penance for sure), and our involvement in the ESL fiasco was close to the final straw for me. For my club to think it’s acceptable to basically shaft the rest of the football league, take away the concept of hope and a sporting chance so they could cozy up to bigger clubs in a closed door money pit made me sick. Daniel Levy’s mealy mouthed apology to fans - basically reeling of an “I know best and you lot have ruined it with your protests” attitude made it even worse. I refused to renew my club membership this year.

I’ve done my coaching badge and coach kids footy at two age groups, I love grass roots football and also in the last couple of years have been going to watch my local non league team more and more and taking my ten year old lad down there. I deffo feel my footy passions are being directed more away from PL football and more toward grass roots and non league.

St Pauli have a very questionable moral compass and have milked their fans (and those who buy into the whole “Radical rebel”thing) dry.

If you are looking for a club with a moral high ground you are in for a long wait.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    St Pauli have a very questionable moral compass and have milked their fans (and those who buy into the whole “Radical rebel”thing) dry.

If you are looking for a club with a moral high ground you are in for a long wait.
    Wut?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post

I can see how you as a Rangers fan are struggling with a club that has a moral compass built on compassion, non-violence, diversity, sustainability, ecology and is strictly anti-fascist, anti-racist, anti-discrimination and pro human rights.

Sankt Pauli was the first club in Germany with their own set of guiding principles explaining who they are and what role they are playing in both the local as well as wider community. I can only recommend it for anyone sincerely interested. They have also positioned themselves clearly in the discussion about football versus commerce, their position paper about necessary reform has drawn a lot of support across Germany and Europe.

But maybe your uninformed drivel is actually motivated by something completely different?

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Seriously you've been once. Don't criticise what you don't know about.

Agreed. It’s a wonderful city surround by gorgeous countryside and beaches, and the people are lovely. I spent about 7 months up there recently and I’d move there tomorrow if I could.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    Mike Ashley lives in Whetstone, London.

Never been to Newcastle but I have lived and worked in Liverpool for a number of years and it’s not stopped Liverpool having a world class team. There’s some lovely affluent parts of Liverpool as well as some less attractive areas. Im sure most large towns are the same.

I see all these sort of comments about sports washing and human rights yet people either don’t realise the world we live in involves so much unethical behaviour that impacts on our day to day lives or they simply use it as a lazy means to bash a team because they can’t engage in sensible debate. Can’t see too many people refusing to watch the World Cup because of the number of workers killed building the stadiums in Qatar. It should never have gone there in the first place but it just shows how money rules these days.

The fans just want to support their team and see some great football.
    I agree with this, but disregarding for a moment the human rights angle and the ethics - just in terms of the game itself, a massively wealthy owner is a bit like a cheat code, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I agree with this, but disregarding for a moment the human rights angle and the ethics - just in terms of the game itself, a massively wealthy owner is a bit like a cheat code, isn't it?
    Why ?
    It’s always been the same since football began in this country. Deepest pockets generally win trophies .
    You can go back to any point in football and find the wealthiest owners usually having the better teams .

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Why ?
    It’s always been the same since football began in this country. Deepest pockets generally win trophies .
    You can go back to any point in football and find the wealthiest owners usually having the better teams .
    Difference being that those owners used to be local.

Nowadays you have American 'sports entrepreneurs', Russian cleptocrats, Thai dictators, Arabian oppressors and Saudi killers maintaining their pet projects until they are bored.

What difference does that make? I thought your argument was about the existence of money, not where it comes from?

Difference being that those owners used to be local.