closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier League 2021-22

I don't know what he was trying to do! At any age group you stick your head on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    I still can't get over how Bowen missed from 1 yard

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    “ Top class manager “ ? Benitez ? Don’t make me laugh.

What are the credentials for being a ‘top class manager”. ?
    He was at Liverpool for 6 or 7 years and won three cups .
    Top class indeed .
    What’s your credentials being a top class coach ?

Joining Barca, Bayern and the richest club in the world and winning the league ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    What’s your credentials being a top class coach ?

Joining Barca, Bayern and the richest club in the world and winning the league ?

Yeah, pretty much that .
    But, by your gauge , Pep would be considered a top coach for winning the Carabao cup a few times, right ?
    And we aren’t the richest club in the world anymore. You’ll have to direct your lickspittle and froth a bit further north from now on .
    Sorry, edited to post that I think Jurgen is a top class coach .
    Last edited by thegoat; 17th January 2022 at 17:27.

Yeah, pretty much that .
    But, by your gauge , Pep would be considered a top coach for winning the Carabao cup a few times, right ?
    And we aren’t the richest club in the world anymore. You’ll have to direct your lickspittle and froth a bit further north from now on .
    A top class manager gets the most out of any players available to him and has the ability to change systems/formations when it’s not working. The manager takes steps to reverse any decline in results.

That doesn’t describe the Benitez that was managing Everton.

Grand Master
    I’m primarily a rugby league fan and I saw the same thing happen with last years Super League season, some clubs used the Covid situation to their advantage and ducked out of playing games rather than field a weakened side.

One point that’s easy to overlook is the recovery time after Covid or any similar illness, some players will need more time to get back to match fitness than others. Bringing players back too early is a mistake, its likely to prolong recovery time and increase the risk of injuries. Despite the eye- watering wages these guys earn we have to remind ourselves that they’re only human after all.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I don't know what he was trying to do! At any age group you stick your head on that.
    I think the ball took a deflection and he saw it very late.......thankfully!

I see it reported today that Eden Hazard has turned down an approach by Newcastle.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    It is poor form that (we) Arsenal ducked the spurs match. Just an excuse to have more rest and to prepare for the Liverpool match in a few days. Covid is just an easy excuse, Even Liverpool showed that a few weeks back with their false positives, amazing Klopp had that many staff and players all with false positive results!
    Do they have to prove to the FA the results of their team ? I guess they must have else people would be pulling out as and when they think its advantageous.

David Squires' cartoon strip in the Guardian today is excellent, particularly if you're an Everton fan -

https://www.theguardian.com/football...rseyside-blues
    ______

​Jim.

Paper talk like every other 'rumour'. Here's a sobering fact for anyone that doubts the Ashley legacy. There were seven players in the matchday squad on Saturday that played on the corresponding weekend against Villa in the Championship in 2016. That's an abysmal situation. Ashley systematically annihilated the playing stock, buying cheap and selling high and pocketing the profit. Remember, last season he refused to sanction £1m to pay for the loan of Hamza Choudhury. £1m is two weeks wages for Ronaldo yet Ashley wouldn't pay it.

Anyone who thinks turning around sixteen years of this in six months is an idiot (we, like every other club, have many such idiots in our fanbase).

Relegation is most likely the price we'll have to pay for it. If that's the case then so be it. It'll set our project back a couple of years but again, so be it. Man City and Chelsea were able to buy good players when their fortunes arrived because they weren't in a relegation fight.

I feel for Derby County if the fat man buys their club. Yes he'll keep it alive, just, but at what cost?

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    I see it reported today that Eden Hazard has turned down an approach by Newcastle.

Blog Entries
    Everton
    Lampard,Rooney or now Mourinino what an insult to a proper Everton legend Big Dunc?
    Oh btw anybody got some stable space there is a donkey called Lukaku as a CFC supporter you
    can have for free.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

We have had big names in the past and they all fail, Everton have a knack of bringing everyone down to their level. I doubt if we had Klopp, Pep or Tommy from the bridge it would make much difference.

I have noticed Everton going back to managers they have sacked is not unlike my watch buying and it rarely ends well.

I don’t get the Rooney thing, he is not a legend in my eyes, he pissed off to United as soon as he could and only came back when he was an old player. So what’s the difference between Rafa being an ex Liverpool boss and Rooney spending most of his career at United. He is not ready anyway and I don’t want Lamps either.

Martinez was a crazy move and I’m glad we failed to get him. I would give it to big Dunc until the end of the season and deal with it then whilst selling half the squad including Coleman, get your badges son and go and help Big Dunc…

Jose for Everton?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Would anybody really think he’d go there😂, who would want to, they’re a complete shambles who’s top signing since all the cash has been the mighty Chris wood

See my post above (post 810), it'll help you understand the situation here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Would anybody really think he’d go there, who would want to, they’re a complete shambles who’s top signing since all the cash has been the mighty Chris wood

Everton have a shortlist of failed managers

It’s where managers go to die.

Their best manager of recent times was David Moyes, who I am pleased to say has worked wonders at WHU.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Their best manager of recent times was David Moyes, who I am pleased to say has worked wonders at WHU.
    Lol, he started there 20 years ago, Everton have had 10 managers since including David Unsworth twice and Duncan Ferguson twice

In reality we haven’t had a decent manager since Howard Kendall first time round when we won the league twice, the cup and the European cup winners cup. One FA Cup since under Joe Royal and that’s it. All these big names since have won sweet FA between them.

Lol, he started there 20 years ago, Everton have had 10 managers since including David Unsworth twice and Duncan Ferguson twice

They'd have Moysie back in flash if they could.

It's funny how some teams seem to lurch from one ropey manager to the next.

We let Moyes go in favour of a big name manager - Pellegrini.

Thank Gawd we got DM back.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Would anybody really think he’d go there, who would want to, they’re a complete shambles who’s top signing since all the cash has been the mighty Chris wood
    I watch the ' mighty ' Toons with interest.
    A friend of mine is a die hard Toon and in his words " they will enjoy the ride regardless of what happens ".

Its all very well have pots of cash but you have to then find the player that whilst happy to take the huge pay also has to put a shift in .

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    They'd have Moysie back in flash if they could.

It's funny how some teams seem to lurch from one ropey manager to the next.

We let Moyes go in favour of a big name manager - Pellegrini.

Thank Gawd we got DM back.
    I like DM but after 1,000 games as a manager his list of honours won hasn’t started yet. He had 10 years at Everton, took us to 4th, but still didn’t win anything. I think he has a better squad at West Ham than he ever did at Everton.

The master of over-achieving.

That's how most of us feel. Whatever the future brings, strap yourself in and enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    I watch the ' mighty ' Toons with interest.
    A friend of mine is a die hard Toon and in his words " they will enjoy the ride regardless of what happens ".

Its all very well have pots of cash but you have to then find the player that whilst happy to take the huge pay also has to put a shift in .

It just shows how hard the game is when there are several managers with 1000 games but haven't won a sausage. Incredible really. Then there's Pep who has been a manager for 13 seasons and won 10 league titles, not to mention the cups.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I like DM but after 1,000 games as a manager his list of honours won hasn’t started yet. He had 10 years at Everton, took us to 4th, but still didn’t win anything. I think he has a better squad at West Ham than he ever did at Everton.

The master of over-achieving.

It just shows how hard the game is when there are several managers with 1000 games but haven't won a sausage. Incredible really. Then there's Pep who has been a manager for 13 seasons and won 10 league titles, not to mention the cups.
    City are a very well run club with good management and always thinking ahead. We won the league under Mancini and Pellegrini but Pep has taken the club to a different level.
    I know I’m biased but the level of consistency produced in his time there is phenomenal, not to mention the football City produced 17/18 & 18/19 seasons. One things for sure… he wouldn’t put up with some of the Prima Donna players at other marquee clubs or a lack of effort.
    How many teams play out from the back ever since he arrived? Who knows how long he’ll stay at City but as long as the desire is still there and he can motivate the players then I hope he extends.

There's a huge difference between well-run clubs with money (City) and rich clubs whose owners / board don't have a clue (Everton).

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    City are a very well run club with good management and always thinking ahead. We won the league under Mancini and Pellegrini but Pep has taken the club to a different level.
    I know I’m biased but the level of consistency produced in his time there is phenomenal, not to mention the football City produced 17/18 & 18/19 seasons. One things for sure… he wouldn’t put up with some of the Prima Donna players at other marquee clubs or a lack of effort.
    How many teams play out from the back ever since he arrived? Who knows how long he’ll stay at City but as long as the desire is still there and he can motivate the players then I hope he extends.

It seems the FA are investigating an Arsenal player for suspicious betting patterns involving getting a deliberate yellow card.
    No prizes for guessing who that might be .

There's a huge difference between well-run clubs with money (City) and rich clubs whose owners / board don't have a clue (Everton).
    There is an art to spending. Look at Spurs when they first got the Bale money, they bought about 7 or 8 players, most of us probably couldn’t name those players now, but basically a big lump of cash wasted.

A good example of getting it right was Liverpool selling Courtinio to Barca and buying Alison and Van Dyke with the money, which was when Klopp started to win things.

Everton have wasted millions and nothing to show for it. Hope Newcastle get it right, Trippier is a good signing for now, but you are only going to get a few seasons out of him.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Steve Bruce needs some kebab money….

It's funny that because I watched a game the other week where Zaha got the most pointless yellow card that I could only explain as him doing it deliberately. We all know it happens, players have admitted it. South Americans who want maybe an extended break to go home while there's an international break coming up and players before the AFCON so they can either have a break before or spend more time in-country.

It's not exactly a secret.

It seems the FA are investigating an Arsenal player for suspicious betting patterns involving getting a deliberate yellow card.

The irony is that the player (allegedly) in question is pretty much a banker for a yellow at the least in every match he plays.

It's funny that because I watched a game the other week where Zaha got the most pointless yellow card that I could only explain as him doing it deliberately. We all know it happens, players have admitted it. South Americans who want maybe an extended break to go home while there's an international break coming up and players before the AFCON so they can either have a break before or spend more time in-country.

It's not exactly a secret.
    There’s a huge difference in wanting a couple of weeks off and tipping a mate off to stick a few quid on at the bookies , no ?

Agreed. I wasn't saying one offense was worse then the other (even though it is), just pointing out that players do it for various reasons.

There’s a huge difference in wanting a couple of weeks off and tipping a mate off to stick a few quid on at the bookies , no ?

Agreed. I wasn't saying one offense was worse then the other (even though it is), just pointing out that players do it for various reasons.
    Point taken.
    If he is found guilty, surely a lengthy ban would be imminent.
    Didn’t Trippier get a ban for tipping his mate off about his move to Athletico ?

FFS Leicester what the heck?

Typical Brendan.

Wow - love an ending like that. The best since Amsterdam in the CL semi final

Yeah I’m sure he did.

Point taken.
    If he is found guilty, surely a lengthy ban would be imminent.
    Didn’t Trippier get a ban for tipping his mate off about his move to Athletico ?

An average manager would have won league titles with the Barca (the Barca team at that time was immense, won the title 8 years in the last 13) and then went to Bayern (again an amazing team of players) - Bayern have won almost every title in the last 20 years!, City were already winning titles before he came. He is a good manager but IMO over hyped. 2 champions league wins in 14 years is terrible with the squads and money he has spent over his career.

Many good managers will never win anything, does not mean they are bad managers just don't have the squads or money that others have.

An average manager would have won league titles with the Barca (the Barca team at that time was immense, won the title 8 years in the last 13) and then went to Bayern (again an amazing team of players) - Bayern have won almost every title in the last 20 years!, City were already winning titles before he came. He is a good manager but IMO over hyped. 2 champions league wins in 14 years is terrible with the squads and money he has spent over his career.

Many good managers will never win anything, does not mean they are bad managers just don't have the squads or money that others have.
    Big Sam Allardichi approves of this post

I'm split on this. Pep has never had to struggle. He's always had the best of the best and could always pretty much spend what he wants. He's also only ever been at the best clubs in their leagues. I've seen some excellent managers have great ideas and (sorry I hate this too) philosophies but couldn't get the limited talent at their disposal to make it work (Glenn Hoddle is one). For example, let's see what he could do at Everton.

However, the flip side is that I genuinely do believe he's the best coach around. What he's able to do with formations, intensity and winning mentality is currently unmatched. If I could choose a manager to lead our project at Newcastle for the next five years, of course it would be Pep.

Alex Ferguson is widely considered to be the best, or certainly the most successful, modern day manager. He spent 26 years at Man Utd and only won 2 CL titles. There’s nothing I’d like more than for City to win CL but I certainly wouldn’t swap a CL win for the past five years football under Pep. All this rubbish about seeing how he gets on with a lower league team is just tribal jealousy. Of course he wouldn’t win the PL if he was at somewhere like Burnley but you can be certain he’d make every player better and have them playing better football.

Would Mo Salah sign for Swindon Town, would Harry Kane sign for Tranmere Rovers……. Of course not. Because they are at the top of their game. No different for Pep.

One thing heaped on City is how they almost have two full 11’s with their squad. With the odd exception the team ethos amongst the players is strong. Using rotation the way he does and keeping all that talent from handing in transfer requests is a measure of his ability.

The PL should enjoy the years with Pep in it, the same as Mourinho in his first stint at Chelsea, and Klopp’s tenure at Liverpool. They have taken the league to new heights.

Master
    Football match fixing is rife all through the championship and below.

League one / two games there’s are a good few a season.

I remember the Accrington bury game about 10 years ago. Last game of the season, both teams safe and in mid table nothing to play for so the fox was on for bury to win.

Literally every person in Liverpool was on bury for that game. I can’t remember the figures but I think it was a record for the amount of money bet on a league two game.

Liverpool showed more ruthlessness and nous than Arsenal last night. Apart from the 1st 15 minutes or so we looked toothless up front and whilst I understand fitness was an issue it was far from a Liverpool 1st XI either and they ran out pretty comfortable winners and could have scored a couple more goals

Well, well. Nobody, and I mean nobody, saw us getting a draw at Leeds today never mind a win! This makes Everton at home on 8th Feb under the lights an unbelievable game for us. I have my tickets already.

What a shambolic statement. You need to watch another sport.

Eeh - I - Eeh - I - Eeh - I - O

Up the Premier League we go

When we get to Europe

This is what we'll sing

We are the Geordies, super Geordies

Eddie is our King

Master
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    Alex Ferguson is widely considered to be the best, or certainly the most successful, modern day manager. He spent 26 years at Man Utd and only won 2 CL titles.
    Good point! And, class of ‘92 aside, he spent to achieve success.

I guess it’s all down to social media but was there so much angst when Manchester United dominated the league for 20 years and Liverpool before them?
    Last edited by David_D; 23rd January 2022 at 12:52.