timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,300 of 2157

Thread: Premier League 2021-22

+ 1 for the no thanks.
    What happened to in Eddie we trust?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

You're right they were exciting but we still didn't win anything. I don't see the point of professional sport if you don't want to win. I've never seen my club win anything and I'm embarrassed by that. The point of the takeover was to build a team that wins and hopefully, wins regularly.

I don't particularly like his style either but come on, are you really saying you'd take another fifty years of not winning a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    I don't like the Simeone style of football. It's not about winning pots at any cost, some of the seasons under Keegan or Sir Bobby were fantastically exciting without winning anything.

I didn't say now! At some point in our future, yes. I'm very happy with Howe and yes, in Eddie I trust.

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    + 1 for the no thanks.
    What happened to in Eddie we trust?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

The second half of the Arsenal vs Liverpool game shows why Liverpool are so good - ruthless when they get a sniff.

The only thing that stops this Liverpool side of the last few years from being considered one of the very, very best ( think United 99,08 Arsenal 04 etc. ) premier league teams of all time is that midfield.

What sets Arsenal 04 and the great United team apart is the sheer volume of trophies they won. Liverpool are good but not as good as those two teams. I agree that the Liverpool midfield isn't a patch on those two.

Quote Originally Posted by j17ykp View Post
    The second half of the Arsenal vs Liverpool game shows why Liverpool are so good - ruthless when they get a sniff.

The only thing that stops this Liverpool side of the last few years from being considered one of the very, very best ( think United 99,08 Arsenal 04 etc. ) premier league teams of all time is that midfield.

See my reply at post 1255. I think he means that this Liverpool midfield is preventing them being as great as those Arsenal and Man Utd teams.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    What do you mean?

Arsenal did well for first 55 minutes without really looking threatening. Liverpool ruthless and clinical and that's a huge difference when you look at their attacking options.

Martinelli is some prospect

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    What do you mean?
    In short , they are a fantastic team but a level below the truly great premier league teams of the past the midfield being one reason.

A fair assessment all round.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Arsenal did well for first 55 minutes without really looking threatening. Liverpool ruthless and clinical and that's a huge difference when you look at their attacking options.

Would of potentially had a couple of assists if we had a more mobile striker

Had Trent on toast all game to the extent they are tasked Henderson with doubling up on him in isolation.

Good to see progress made by Arsenal and at least the issues we need to address in summer are clear and doable for once in beefing up squad with a striker and a midfield upgrade on Xhaka

Would of potentially had a couple of assists if we had a more mobile striker

Had Trent on toast all game to the extent they are tasked Henderson with doubling up on him in isolation.

Good to see progress made by Arsenal and at least the issues we need to address in summer are clear and doable for once in beefing up squad with a striker and a midfield upgrade on Xhaka
    Yep looking at Arsenal the system now seems to be in place and it is clear where the gaps are. A proper striker for sure, some more defensive reinforcement and more depth in midfield and that'll be a top 4 side but not one yet that's ahead of Liverpool and Man City

Craftsman
    Pleased with signs of progression from Arsenal tonight. Liverpool are just a fantastic team and I didn't expect to get anything from the game. Arsenal just have a really likeable team right now and I'm enjoying the ride.

Just hope we can bounce back v Villa on Saturday, will be a tough game - particularly after tonight's exertions.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Even as a City fan I take my hat off to Liverpool. They’ve really got their mojo back after such a poor defence last year, which I just purely put down to lack of concentration after breaking a 30 year drought. The game at the Etihad promises to be a cracker if the Anfield game is anything to go by. No 10 men behind the ball for City to worry about

If the rumour mill about Haaland has any credence who knows where it might propel City but for now we should just enjoy two managers driving the Premier League to new levels of consistency and excellence.

Master
    Enjoyed that .. Nice surprise to get offered seats at lunchtime with some work colleagues.
    I was in the Liverpool end!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    Even as a City fan I take my hat off to Liverpool. They’ve really got their mojo back after such a poor defence last year, which I just purely put down to lack of concentration after breaking a 30 year drought. The game at the Etihad promises to be a cracker if the Anfield game is anything to go by. No 10 men behind the ball for City to worry about

If the rumour mill about Haaland has any credence who knows where it might propel City but for now we should just enjoy two managers driving the Premier League to new levels of consistency and excellence.
    You can put much of last years Liverpool problems on Jordan Pickford.
    Outrageous assault on VVD
    VVD is absolutely pivotal in that defence.

And also attacking set pieces.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    You're right they were exciting but we still didn't win anything. I don't see the point of professional sport if you don't want to win. I've never seen my club win anything and I'm embarrassed by that. The point of the takeover was to build a team that wins and hopefully, wins regularly.

I don't particularly like his style either but come on, are you really saying you'd take another fifty years of not winning a thing?
    I would like to win something but it's not my main reason for going to the match. We won the Championship last day of the season not too long ago, the feeling of winning that will be exactly the same if we ever win the Premier League. I enjoy the whole day, a few pints, banter, hopefully some quality football and a win but take away the jeopardy and the enjoyment wanes a bit. Some of my most memorable games we haven't won, Arsenal 4-4 as an example. Tiote's joy was something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    You can put much of last years Liverpool problems on Jordan Pickford.
    Outrageous assault on VVD
    VVD is absolutely pivotal in that defence.

And also attacking set pieces.
    Would agree with that and he is still there leaking goals for fun. One day Lamps will wake up and see what the rest of us can see. Englands number one, you’re having a laugh - I don’t even want him in the Everton team. Sell, sell, sell.

Newcastle tonight and an opportunity to really cement our place in the relegation scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    Pleased with signs of progression from Arsenal tonight. Liverpool are just a fantastic team and I didn't expect to get anything from the game. Arsenal just have a really likeable team right now and I'm enjoying the ride.

Just hope we can bounce back v Villa on Saturday, will be a tough game - particularly after tonight's exertions.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk
    Thought it would be a tough game against Arsenal there has been some real progress over the past few months I think they have benefitted from having a bit of a lower profile than some of the other clubs competing for top four who have been in the media.

There may be still work to do at Arsenal but they are definitely moving in the right direction.

Arsenal did well, if we had a top striker we could really push on and challenge for more trophies. The issue is who to get and more importantly who would come, or just play Martinelli up top and play ESR / pepe wide left.

If Martinelli keeps improving with lots of game time he will be one of the best in a few years.

Never thought we would beat Liverpool as they needed a win, but we gave them a good game which is more than we have done in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post

Haaland has hip issues and a few medical experts have pointed out these could be hard to resolve, meaning lengthy spells on the treatment table. He has missed a lot of games for Dortmund this year and at 500k a week, that’s some gamble.

Master
    In short , they are a fantastic team but a level below the truly great premier league teams of the past the midfield being one reason.
    City and Liverpool now would play United and Arsenals best teams off the park.

You only need to look at the point totals that Liverpool and city are accumulating, it’s crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    Arsenal did well, if we had a top striker we could really push on and challenge for more trophies. The issue is who to get and more importantly who would come, or just play Martinelli up top and play ESR / pepe wide left.

If Martinelli keeps improving with lots of game time he will be one of the best in a few years.

Never thought we would beat Liverpool as they needed a win, but we gave them a good game which is more than we have done in the last few years.
    I agree, one of my good pals is a Liverpool fan and he said around the 75 minute mark "Arsenal look a top CF away from being fantastic!!".

My other area for improvement would be the left central midfield slot. Xhaka is not as bad as many make out, but in this latest system playing more advanced he does not have the qualities to make the best of it. His through balls and passes into the box are not good enough and his shooting... Let's not talk about it. A player with similar profile to Odegaard who can play on the left would be amazing - combining work rate and quality.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    I rate Xhaka, think you need a player like him to put a bit of steel in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    City and Liverpool now would play United and Arsenals best teams off the park.

You only need to look at the point totals that Liverpool and city are accumulating, it’s crazy.

It's a tricky one. Tactically today's City and Liverpool teams are miles ahead of the United and Arsenal teams of the past. But if you look at that United side with peak Giggs, Scholes, Keane etc or Arsenal with Vieira, Bergkamp, Henry, Pires etc I think that's a hell of a match up.

Changing topic somewhat, who do we reckon would be the best overall side, a team made of the best Serie A players ever, best La Liga players ever or best Premier League players ever?

Personally I'm leaning towards Serie A just as it'd be a nightmare getting past Baresi, Maldini etc

Changing topic somewhat, who do we reckon would be the best overall side, a team made of the best Serie A players ever, best La Liga players ever or best Premier League players ever?

Personally I'm leaning towards Serie A just as it'd be a nightmare getting past Baresi, Maldini etc
    Tommy Smith, Norman Hunter, Chopper Harris would resemble a brick s**thouse wall and you could add Bobby Moore for that touch of class.

It's a tricky one. Tactically today's City and Liverpool teams are miles ahead of the United and Arsenal teams of the past. But if you look at that United side with peak Giggs, Scholes, Keane etc or Arsenal with Vieira, Bergkamp, Henry, Pires etc I think that's a hell of a match up.
    I’d agree with this - the current state of football is where the system outweighs talent to seek results based on data etc , I always think Henderson is a perfect example of this- he’s in a system which utilises his skill set far beyond his actual skills are I don’t think any one would argue how important he is to Liverpool but at the same time he isn’t going to walk into any team in the world unlike Salah

while systems may have evolved with the increased use of Data and Analysis rather than gut feel and nouse you would need to think of pure talent and types of players and they impact the system.

Ronaldo would essentially take away on of the strongest aspects of Liverpool’s game in letting Trent cross or pick out plays with his insane passing due to the risk of leaving him free up top.

Imagine what any of Ronaldo of 08 or Pires of 04 would have done to Trent last night based on what Martinelli did.

And as for strikers as good the current centerbacks are they’ve never come across a player like Henry, Rooney in their pomp so again hard to tell

To me discussion like is what makes football so great to talk about.

Serie A or La Liga,

Serie A - Buffon, Maldini, Canavaro, Baresi, Totti, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzhagi (can't believe I just typed that but he was good at scoring), Del Piero, Vieiri, Ronaldo (fat), Zola, Ronaldinho,

La Liga - pretty much the Barcelon team in its prime plus Ronaldo, Figo, Casillas, and a few other Madrid players

Over the years both leagues was full of world class players, recently Italian club teams have been very poor and seem to have lost their way from the previous generation.

Craftsman
    Serie A or La Liga,

Serie A - Buffon, Maldini, Canavaro, Baresi, Totti, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzhagi (can't believe I just typed that but he was good at scoring), Del Piero, Vieiri, Ronaldo (fat), Zola, Ronaldinho,

La Liga - pretty much the Barcelon team in its prime plus Ronaldo, Figo, Casillas, and a few other Madrid players

Over the years both leagues was full of world class players, recently Italian club teams have been very poor and seem to have lost their way from the previous generation.
    You left out the greatest player ever who played in both leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    You left out the greatest player ever who played in both leagues.
    Zidane surely

Serie A or La Liga,

La Liga - pretty much the Barcelon team in its prime plus Ronaldo, Figo, Casillas, and a few other Madrid players...
    I'd find a place for Juve's Chiellini in the Serie A squad & Atleti's Godin in the La Liga selection.
    ::
    Incidentally, I note that Gabbie Agbonlahor is wondering why Nathan 'The Wonderkid' Patterson isn't pulling up trees in the Everton first team. He assumes this is due to 'a rift' between Lampard & the player. I don't think so...
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I'd find a place for Juve's Chiellini in the Serie A squad & Atleti's Godin in the La Liga selection.
    Incidentally, I note that Gabbie Agbonlahor is wondering why Nathan 'The Wonderkid' Patterson isn't pulling up trees in the Everton first team. He assumes this is due to 'a rift' between Lampard & the player. I don't think so...
    Perhaps Van Basten and Gullit get in the Serie A squad? Van Basten over Inzaghi surely? Batistuta as well has a good shot of getting in

Zidane and Maradona have to be in there also

For a minute there I thought you were putting Agbonlahor in the Premier League Squad!
    Last edited by ryanb741; 17th March 2022 at 22:07.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Was he not bought by a manager who was then sacked? Not usually a good start to your new career.

My flabber is well and truly gasted.

A scrappy game, but we needed those three points more than you…

Sorry Dave.

Master
    Can not begin to describe how crucial that Iwobi goal is for ten man Everton's chances of survival.

A proper Sunday morning game; not much quality but loads of blood and thunder. A draw would have been a fair result as neither team deserved to lose. We were below the standard we've become used to with Eddie Howe. Congrats on a much needed three points though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

Sorry Dave.

I know it's not technically Premier League but the London Stadium was absolutely banging last night... never known an atmosphere like it at West Ham.

Awesome performance as well, started on the front foot and really got at Seville. Considering he went off injured at the weekend, Antonio was immense and the midfield really ran the show.

Can't wait for the draw at lunchtime!

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    I know it's not technically Premier League but the London Stadium was absolutely banging last night... never known an atmosphere like it at West Ham.

Awesome performance as well, started on the front foot and really got at Seville. Considering he went off injured at the weekend, Antonio was immense and the midfield really ran the show.

That was a superb display by the Hammers .
    Sevilla are no mugs in this tournament and would’ve fancied their chances last night .
    The atmosphere at Europa League games is , IMHO, far far better than the often sterile ones at the Chumps League matches .

Sorry Dave.
    Hopefully the turning point that. Think the Park End sucked that one in.

Master
    Man City to succeed where United failed In CL?

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post

Fantastic game I could only watch on Telly but when Soucek scored I knew we had it won, we definitely had the best of it.

Our own Ukranian Yarmo scoring in extra time too, after his winner against Villa at the weekend - you couldn't make it up!

Lyon next at home.

Last edited by Neil.C; 18th March 2022 at 14:24.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Lyon next at home.
    I'm shocked that we beat Sevilla, but also very happy!

I was at Upton Park in 81 when Dynamo Tbilisi gave us a football lesson in the CWC quarters. Let's hope for a better outcome this time...

COYI

Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    I'm shocked that we beat Sevilla, but also very happy!

I was at Upton Park in 81 when Dynamo Tbilisi gave us a football lesson in the CWC quarters. Let's hope for a better outcome this time...

COYI
    Memories…

I was at Elland Road in 1980 for the FA Cup semi when that bas**rd Frank Lampard senior scored and did his little jig around the corner flag. Who would have thought that we would end up with his little boy as our manager.

Funny old world.

It's never boring watching Leeds!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    It's never boring watching Leeds!
    I got out of bed with Covid to watch that and at half time I had us relegated. What a second half! They will kill me off I swear!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Solid from the Gunners. Deserved to beat Villa and we look hard to score against although we are lacking a bit of guile in the box.

I had Villa away as a real tough game (we still have Chelsea and Spurs away too which are both really hard games). So the 3 points are very welcome

I feel Arsenal are on the cusp of something special. They have good players in every position but they'll need to add numbers to cope with European competition. Gerrard has work to do at Villa. We beat them comfortably a few weeks ago and they were terrible. He can't seem to get Ings and Watkins in the same team and it's not working with just one of them. I know Watkins is younger and was a keynote signing but Ings is a natural goalscorer and I think he should stink with Ings for the rest of the season.

Solid from the Gunners. Deserved to beat Villa and we look hard to score against although we are lacking a bit of guile in the box.

I had Villa away as a real tough game (we still have Chelsea and Spurs away too which are both really hard games). So the 3 points are very welcome

I think Arsenal are looking good for 4th this season. They seem to have more consistency than Man Utd, Spurs and West Ham. They can write off the loss to Liverpool and move on. I think they only really have the top three to fear, they are capable of beating everyone else.

FA Cup is a bit boring this weekend. Clearly Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea are all going through and I thought Palace would beat us, which they did.

Clearly two of the top three will meet in the semi and play the other one in the final.

A Liverpool v Man City final would be good, so the perfect semi line up would be Man City v Chelsea and Liverpool v Palace.

Predictable and boring. It needs an outsider with money to spend to come in and shake up the establishment. Oh, wait....

FA Cup is a bit boring this weekend. Clearly Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea are all going through and I thought Palace would beat us, which they did.

Clearly two of the top three will meet in the semi and play the other one in the final.

A Liverpool v Man City final would be good, so the perfect semi line up would be Man City v Chelsea and Liverpool v Palace.