Thread: Premier League 2021-22

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    West Ham v Chelsea 3-2!

What a game! It had everything.
    Apart from the right result Watford and Wolves step up
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Blog Entries
    Is Danny Rose the worst defender in the PL at the moment ?

I’ve never rated him, but he’s having a proper shocker against Man City tonight.

z

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

I’ve never rated him, but he’s having a proper shocker against Man City tonight.

z
    Considering he’s up against Sterling , Walker and Bernardo , I’ll give him a pass .

Great atmosphere today and attendance was 51850 despite being winless and bottom of the league. A terrible game played out by two of the worst teams in EPL history but THREE POINTS!! COME ON!!

Journeyman

z
    Doesn't even look fit and cannot understand how he is holding down a place in that Watford side.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kostal2093 View Post
    Doesn't even look fit and cannot understand how he is holding down a place in that Watford side.
    Agreed. Looked completely disinterested too - often out of position & then not chasing back.
    Very poor.

z

Nice to see the West Ham fans have had their internet turned back on after last weeks outage.
    Good watch today v Chelsea. At times it seemed like old school football , end to end with lots of drama and a result that City would b3 happy with.
    Bowen impressed me last week and again today . Rice , not so much but I can see why there are a number of clubs interested in him .

Is there any truth in the rumor Man U are interested in Moyes ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Probably in the same way I’m interested in Kylie Minogue.
    They are both far too astute to make a downward choice in their career trajectory.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Almost as funny as Jose to Everton.

He's too busy with the Stingray remake . . .

F.T.F.A.

'Now, about those image rights...'

______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    'Now, about those image rights...'

He was a handsome young lad!

Rather a pity it is a well known photoshop.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

They had their chance.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

What do you mean 'we had our chance'

Think he is still on the payroll

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Absolutely gutted today, we played with passion and hard graft.

Man U were very ordinary

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post

Man U were very ordinary

Pitch
    If only you could finish other than that a truly superb performance against a mediocre MU and the pen
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Blog Entries
    Yep, in one.

Smith and Shakespeare have truly got the squad rocking. Yesterday they were up for it and moved the ball very quick. Factor in 5 changes plus losing Hanley with a dislocated shoulder was even more impressive yesterday given a very small/Championship squad.

We certainly didn’t look like a team at the foot on the table but we need goals.

Pitch

Master
    …a very small/Championship squad….

We certainly didn’t look like a team at the foot on the table but we need goals.

Pitch
    A small squad and lack of goals will keep you at the bottom of the table unfortunately. They looked plucky yesterday though, but time isn’t on your side. Things need to improve very quickly

z
    Never rated him??? When we had Rose, Alderweireld, Vertongen and Walker at their peaks at the back (and for a time the best defensive record in Europe, Rose was the best LB in Europe.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Never rated him??? When we had Rose, Alderweireld, Vertongen and Walker at their peaks at the back (and for a time the best defensive record in Europe, Rose was the best LB in Europe.
    I beg to differ - he was the weakest of those 4 by a country mile.
    As a Spuds fan you may have seen more games than... but on the occasions I saw him play he was overly aggressive & liable make mistakes & get booked.
    He does so more now - but his talents have waned further since his time at Spurs.

All IMHO of course...

z
    Last edited by zelig; 12th December 2021 at 12:27.

Master

Man U were very ordinary

Pitch
    Totally agree. Hard call for the penalty too, he had his arm around his neck for sure but only Ronaldo knows whether that was really affecting him or if he chose it as an opportunity to throw himself to the floor as most players seem to these days.

Some shocking penalty calls yesterday .
    The refereeing at this standard is disgraceful.

I'm not a fan of Danny Rose but that's only because of the debut he had

And on Sunday in our game. The standard is truly awful and yet again we're not using VAR in the way we saw it used at the Euros. That Leicester pen yesterday was a dive all day long, no contact whatsoever. VAR should have told the ref to go and have another look which would have resulted in no pen and a yellow for the cheating Maddison. Instead they authorised the refereeing error. What's that all about?

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Some shocking penalty calls yesterday .
    The refereeing at this standard is disgraceful.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    And on Sunday in our game. The standard is truly awful and yet again we're not using VAR in the way we saw it used at the Euros. That Leicester pen yesterday was a dive all day long, no contact whatsoever. VAR should have told the ref to go and have another look which would have resulted in no pen and a yellow for the cheating Maddison. Instead they authorised the refereeing error. What's that all about?
    i was there and there was contact but maddison was almost on his way down already

Poor result for the Hammers yesterday. Inconsistency will be our downfall...

Not going to happen unless there’s a huge change in the way the sport is run . Having referees in the VAR box is ludicrous. Of course they will back up their colleagues . It’s a closed shop without recourse .
    City, United , Chelsea and Liverpool all got penalties that were generous at the very least .

Moss in our game was an absolute mess . He gave the penalty to make up for the much more apparent ones he missed , again with back up from his cohorts .

I went to the game with a Wolves fan and he was apoplectic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    We came very close but it could have gone either way TBH. A draw was a fair result.

Burnley showed some real guts that belies their lowly league position but it's lack of goals that keeps them down there.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I put Vardy in my FF team as I thought Leicester would hammer Newcastle, which they of course did, except Brendan Rogers thought they could give Vardy the day off and still win.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I've watched it from every possible angle several times each and there's no doubt at all that Lascelles pulled his leg away. The contact was Maddison deliberately kicking Lascelles and going down. For me it's the worst kind of cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    i was there and there was contact but maddison was almost on his way down already

I've watched it from every possible angle several times each and there's no doubt at all that Lascelles pulled his leg away. The contact was Maddison deliberately kicking Lascelles and going down. For me it's the worst kind of cheating.
    the punditry on MOTD2 last night was just as bad. Was expecting them to pull it apart, but Glenn Murray comes out saying yeah definite penalty, lascelles gave him a reason to go down by sticking his leg out.

What? So pulling out of a tackle and making no contact is a legit reason dive and then to give penalty? Embarrassing from VAR and Murray.

Can’t say it would have changed anything given our capitulation mind. We seem to be immune from the famous new manager bounce.

I was at the Burnley game and can honestly say they’re the two worst teams I’ve seen in many years. When you get a new manager you’re looking for the differences they’re making and signs they have a style of play. I’ve not seen any of that yet which is very concerning. The defence are utterly clueless and led by Lascelles who is, at best, League One standard.

Midfield is non-existent. Willock is dreadful. He and Lascelles need to be dropped immediately.

Saint-Maximan is a headless chicken, no football brain at all. He could be our outlet ball down the channels with his pace but instead needs to do a million step-overs before losing the ball every time. He doesn’t relieve pressure by running the channels, doesn’t put crosses in, doesn’t score goals and doesn’t do anything to help the team formation or defensively. He also needs to be dropped.

We’re in this position thanks to sixteen years of Ashley running the club into the ground and now Howe and the fans are paying the price.

Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    the punditry on MOTD2 last night was just as bad. Was expecting them to pull it apart, but Glenn Murray comes out saying yeah definite penalty, lascelles gave him a reason to go down by sticking his leg out.

What? So pulling out of a tackle and making no contact is a legit reason dive and then to give penalty? Embarrassing from VAR and Murray.

Can’t say it would have changed anything given our capitulation mind. We seem to be immune from the famous new manager bounce.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post

I think our problem is that we're now a team the struggling clubs have to be a bit careful of rather than thinking that they can turn us over, as was the case a few years back.
    Chelsea, Liverpool, Leicester etc will always come and have a go so we can sit back a bit and hit them on the break. Burnley on the other hand, sat back, pressed deep and we didn't really have the firepower to break through them.
    Moyes' next challenge is to work out to break down a team that would be happy to defend and counter and given that we've got Norwich, Southampton, Watford and Palace coming up he probably needs to do so quite soon.

I beg to differ - he was the weakest of those 4 by a country mile.
    As a Spuds fan you may have seen more games than... but on the occasions I saw him play he was overly aggressive & liable make mistakes & get booked.
    He does so more now - but his talents have waned further since his time at Spurs.

All IMHO of course...

z
    I was a season ticket holder then as I have been for most of my life, and i beg to differ (save that he was certainly the most aggressive of the four).

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I'm not a fan of Danny Rose but that's only because of the debut he had
    Yeah, I can understand why that might be the case

Blog Entries
    ... i beg to differ (save that he was certainly the most aggressive of the four).
    Pep picks Walker regularly.
    Rose wouldn't get in Pep's side.
    Be more like Pep

z

When Pep signed Walker it was the given thought at the time that he was second choice because Spurs wouldn’t sell Rose and Rose was a better defender.
    Walker has been an outstanding signing for City but he’s improved no end since he arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    When Pep signed Walker it was the given thought at the time that he was second choice because Spurs wouldn’t sell Rose and Rose was a better defender.
    Walker has been an outstanding signing for City but he’s improved no end since he arrived.
    They were both class at the time, despite Mr Z's protestations. Injuries and a propensity to be a raving gobshite have blighted Rose's subsequent career, whereas I agree that Walker has become a better player under Pep.

Blog Entries

Premier League 2021-22

They were both class at the time, despite Mr Z's protestations. Injuries and a propensity to be a raving gobshite have blighted Rose's subsequent career, whereas I agree that Walker has become a better player under Pep.
    Okay…
    Maybe I haven’t seen the best of Mr Rose.
    I agree about his propensities though.

z

Very lucky tonight .
    Under the cosh for a nervy length of time .
    Then , the match started .

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    They play in different positions. Rose and Walker were never in competition. Walker has been an absolute beast for us. No sign of slowing down either. Although Stonesey did a good job standing in for Kyle tonight. Grabbed a goal as well. Just on my way back from watching an absolute demolition job. Privilege to watch this team…..

Craftsman

Man U were very ordinary

Pitch
    Unlike last night.
    Very poor, first half some of the worst ive seen us play.

Gillmore. Honestly i would be thinking about letting him go back. So of his passing was shocking last night to the point one just went clean out of play .
    Really disappointed in in the level of attitude after saturdays game.

West Ham next then Arsenal and with 8 players missing i can see zero points there.

I wonder what Leeds fans make of Bielsa now? They seem to have been found out a bit.

He has a lot of credit banked with the fans after ending their premier league absence after 16 or so years. I don't get the hype about him to be honest. His reluctance or inability to change tactics mid-game are a massive weakness.

I wonder what Leeds fans make of Bielsa now? They seem to have been found out a bit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    Unlike last night.
    Very poor, first half some of the worst ive seen us play.

Gillmore. Honestly i would be thinking about letting him go back. So of his passing was shocking last night to the point one just went clean out of play .
    Really disappointed in in the level of attitude after saturdays game.

West Ham next then Arsenal and with 8 players missing i can see zero points there.
    It was a shocking game, the first half in particular.

I was keen to see JS in the holding midfield role, but he was not good, far better at CH. Cantwell spent his time on the pitch flapping his arms at every opportunity and why oh back bring Williams back after G’s performance on Saturday.

So disappointed, Deano certainly had changed the shape of play since his arrival but that was Leeds/Watford all over again.

One question. We had 8 out with symptoms last night how come ours went ahead but Man U forced a call off ????

Pitch

I think you know the answer already.

One question. We had 8 out with symptoms last night how come ours went ahead but Man U forced a call off ????

Pitch

Craftsman
    16 years of watching dross.
    Owners of the likes of Bates, Celino and GFH decimating our club.
    Then Bielsa comes in and re ignites the passion.
    Elland Road will be rocking on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Leeds View Post
    Yep that's fair enough. That club has been through some tough times so that's absolutely right to recognise the current situation.

As an aside sad to hear Sergio Aguero has had to retire due to a heart issue. Fantastic player, true PL legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Leeds View Post
    Leeds had seven players out on Tuesday and still played better than some of the anti footballing dross that have been to City recently.
    Players out of position and unfamiliar with the system came and still tried to make a game of it.
    For that alone, Bielsaand Leeds should be applauded.
    But then again, it’s all about results, right?

Watched West ham versus Arse last night and just want to say that the penalty given for a fair tackle was atrocious.

Both of the commentators and the radio referee said it was not a pen and that the ref should have looked at the screen.

Fortunately the pen was saved but the damage was done as Coufal was given a second yellow for the supposed foul leaving us down to ten men for a large part of the second half when the score was 1-0.
    Cheers,
    Neil.