closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,750 of 2157

Thread: Premier League 2021-22

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Bugger!

With four games to go, two or which are Chelsea and Arsenal, it’s going to be tough for Leeds now.

I had it in my mind that we would need to beat Brighton on the last day of the season bug even tgst may not be enough now.
    Arsenal also play Everton at the Emirates and Spurs Burnley at Tottenham Stadium so a lot of permutations possible

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Arsenal also play Everton at the Emirates and Spurs Burnley at Tottenham Stadium so a lot of permutations possible
    True, but that leaves Burley with three games to score as many points as Leeds do in two and Everton four games to score two more pints tgan Leeds in two.

I really can’t see Leeds surviving unless they pull off an upset against either Arsenal or Chelsea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    True, but that leaves Burley with three games to score as many points as Leeds do in two and Everton four games to score two more pints tgan Leeds in two.

I really can’t see Leeds surviving unless they pull off an upset against either Arsenal or Chelsea.
    Just checked the remaining fixtures and I reckon Everton will get 9 points from their remaining 5 games (lose at Leicester, win at Watford, Win home to Brentford, win home to Palace, lost at Arsenal), Burnley 4 points (Win home to Villa, Lose at Spurs, Lose at Villa, draw home to Newcastle) and Leeds will get 4 points (lose at Arsenal, lose home to Chelsea, win home to Brighton and draw at Brentford) so that would see Leeds finish on the same number of points at Burnley but go down on Goal Difference. Of course that's just finger in the air stuff

So it's between Arsenal and Spurs for the final CL slot. Looking at this weekend's fixtures one would imagine Arsenal will beat Leeds and Spurs lose at Anfield which would put the Gunners 5 points clear.

However next game after that is the North London Derby at Tottenham Stadium and then Arsenal have a tricky game at Newcastle so I think if Spurs can avoid a pasting at Anfield and maintain their positive goal difference over Arsenal then if they win the NLD to go 2 points behind Arsenal I think Arsenal will probably drop points at Newcastle leaving Spurs to beat Norwich and Burnley to get Top 4. Arsenal's final game is home to Everton.

Fair to say that whoever does get top 4 will deserve it and also fair to say that it is unlikely Spurs fans were imagining top 4 as a possibility when Conte took over or Arsenal fans after the horrendous start to the season when Arsenal were rock bottom.

So it's between Arsenal and Spurs for the final CL slot. Looking at this weekend's fixtures one would imagine Arsenal will beat Leeds and Spurs lose at Anfield which would put the Gunners 5 points clear.

However next game after that is the North London Derby at Tottenham Stadium and then Arsenal have a tricky game at Newcastle so I think if Spurs can avoid a pasting at Anfield and maintain their positive goal difference over Arsenal then if they win the NLD to go 2 points behind Arsenal I think Arsenal will probably drop points at Newcastle leaving Spurs to beat Norwich and Burnley to get Top 4. Arsenal's final game is home to Everton.

Fair to say that whoever does get top 4 will deserve it and also fair to say that it is unlikely Spurs fans were imagining top 4 as a possibility when Conte took over or Arsenal fans after the horrendous start to the season when Arsenal were rock bottom.
    I think we can do it, to think if we did not lose those 3 games on the spin that should have been wins we would be a solid 3rd now.

Spurs should lose to Liverpool, we should beat Leeds, meaning if we beat Spurs we get 4th, but even a draw with Spurs will leave us in a very strong position. But then no games in the PL are easy so who really knows. The last few games have really highlighted our need for a striker, our midfield is looking very good, def is getting there, if we keep Saliba next season will be even stronger, think we should cash in on Tierney, even though he is so good just gets injured way too often. Just up top we are struggling, if we had a 20+ goal striker we can push top 4 each season. We are still way off Liverpool / City but top 4 should be achievable for the next few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    I think we can do it, to think if we did not lose those 3 games on the spin that should have been wins we would be a solid 3rd now.

Spurs should lose to Liverpool, we should beat Leeds, meaning if we beat Spurs we get 4th, but even a draw with Spurs will leave us in a very strong position. But then no games in the PL are easy so who really knows. The last few games have really highlighted our need for a striker, our midfield is looking very good, def is getting there, if we keep Saliba next season will be even stronger, think we should cash in on Tierney, even though he is so good just gets injured way too often. Just up top we are struggling, if we had a 20+ goal striker we can push top 4 each season. We are still way off Liverpool / City but top 4 should be achievable for the next few seasons.
    True but also to think Spurs won at Man City and then proceeded to lose at Burnley and also had some dodgy home results vs Brighton (as did we) and Southampton so it's all very topsy-turvy!

Re our lack of striker I agree, although Nketiah has improved a lot in recent performances. He should have had at least 1 goal at West Ham

That's a £10 acca right there! If that comes in you'll never work again.

Just checked the remaining fixtures and I reckon Everton will get 9 points from their remaining 5 games (lose at Leicester, win at Watford, Win home to Brentford, win home to Palace, lost at Arsenal), Burnley 4 points (Win home to Villa, Lose at Spurs, Lose at Villa, draw home to Newcastle) and Leeds will get 4 points (lose at Arsenal, lose home to Chelsea, win home to Brighton and draw at Brentford) so that would see Leeds finish on the same number of points at Burnley but go down on Goal Difference. Of course that's just finger in the air stuff

Master
    Chelsea fans emotions must be all over the place, given the kind of numbers and possible debt repayment figures to Roman being mentioned across various media outlets today.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Chelsea fans emotions must be all over the place, given the kind of numbers and possible debt repayment figures to Roman being mentioned across various media outlets today.
    Yes could be a long fall from grace however I expect theyll find a loophole of sorts and a deal will get done,

PS United fans been singing this for years its somewhat ironic now

hollow, hollow, hollow
    chelseas success is f*****g hollow,
    all that money they took from that big russian crook,
    but youll never win 3 in a row

Master
    Fraudiola blowing it again in Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Think I can possibly hear Man City's chequebook creaking open…

Some turnaround by Madrid, 15 mins for Pep to turn it back around

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

3rd CL game in a row 100m Grealish has been on bench - guess he doesn’t have full confidence in him yet for Euro games, though he could of had two goals!

Feel bad for Debruyne if it stays like this. I can only assume Pep thought the game was in the bag and took him off to rest him for the league

Madrid's name on trophy. Something incredible is going on.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wowzers

Craftsman
    I thought that ref for the Madrid City game was terrible, Casimero should have got 2 yellows in the first half. Just one yellow would have put him on edge for the rest of the game but to receive nothing for the tackles on DeBroyne and Foden was poor refereeing.

Thumbs up

Madrid's name on trophy. Something incredible is going on.

Not a chance that’ll happen imv

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    3rd CL game in a row 100m Grealish has been on bench - guess he doesn’t have full confidence in him yet for Euro games, though he could of had two goals!

Feel bad for Debruyne if it stays like this. I can only assume Pep thought the game was in the bag and took him off to rest him for the league
    Crazy decision. When your that close to a final you don't mess about.

The game was an absolute borefest for 85 mins. Can't wait for the final. Hope the pool thrash real.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think Liverpool (Mo in particular) will be out to prove a point in Paris.

Liverpool have done if before against Madrid in Paris too…..

Master
    Not really. You follow your team through thick and thin. Will still be there regardless of what that might look like

AFC Bournemouth got promoted last night so there will be a Russian owned club in the Premier League next year after all

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Not a chance that’ll happen imv
    Suspect there is a chance.....

City froze after that first goal and the atmosphere got to them. That said the refereeing tonight was shocking and how only 3 minutes added time was called at the end with the ref blowing the whistle even before then is beyond me. This tie was lost with those missed chances in the first leg.

For all those dicks (scouser unsurprisingly) resorting to Fraudiola comments just remember Alex Ferguson is widely regarded as the best modern day manager yet won 2 CL in 26 years in charge of the one of the richest clubs in the world with some of the best players in the world. Pep’s been a manger 12 and won the same.
    Last edited by sevvy; 4th May 2022 at 23:14.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Costly individual errors and small margins. Shouldn’t be losing a game with 10 shots on target. Think RM will give Liverpool more of a game than City would have, mind you. Liverpool peaking as the season ends whereas City in danger of petering out.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Costly individual errors and small margins. Shouldn’t be losing a game with 10 shots on target. Think RM will give Liverpool more of a game than City would have, mind you. Liverpool peaking as the season ends whereas City in danger of petering out.
    I reckon Liverpool will be happier to face Madrid if honest - Salah also mentioned this. Prob due to the last time they met they played a blinder apart from 1 bit of Bale magic and 2 x Karius cockups. Least no Bale anymore :)

Tough regardless

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    City froze after that first goal and the atmosphere got to them. That said the refereeing tonight was shocking and how only 3 minutes added time was called at the end with the ref blowing the whistle even before then is beyond me. This tie was lost with those missed chances in the first leg.

For all those dicks (scouser unsurprisingly) resorting to Fraudiola comments just remember Alex Ferguson is widely regarded as the best modern day manager yet won 2 CL in 26 years in charge of the one of the richest clubs in the world with some of the best players in the world. Pep’s been a manger 12 and won the same.
    Nice.

Fergie built Manu didn't he from nothing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I reckon Liverpool will be happier to face Madrid if honest - Salah also mentioned this. Prob due to the last time they met they played a blinder apart from 1 bit of Bale magic and 2 x Karius cockups. Least no Bale anymore :)

Tough regardless
    And Salah getting took out the game.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Nice.

Fergie built Manu didn't he from nothing.
    Indeed he did. Pep inherited a top 3 team - Mancini and Pellegrini were just a little inconsistent and I guess failed to deliver the main prize!!

Master
    City are just another version of PSG .
    Throw lots and lots of money at the thing but ultimately fall short
    Would fancy Liverpool for the final but that trophy is a bit special for RM.

Master

As I said before the first leg, pedigree goes a long way in this competition and the only danger to City was letting the occasion get to them, on paper and form this game should have had only one winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    City are just another version of PSG .
    Throw lots and lots of money at the thing but ultimately fall short
    Would fancy Liverpool for the final but that trophy is a bit special for RM.
    I think that’s a little unfair, City have shown clear progress in this competition, United under Fergie are a good example of how Champions League success is a gradual process.

I agree with you on Liverpool for the final, that trophy is a little bit special for them too, should be a great final regardless.

Master
    Delighted it’s Real and not City in the final.

City Liverpool games now are a coin toss and can go either way. Real are poor in comparison to previous years but they have had luck on their side in the last couple of games.

Liverpool will win, number 7 incoming !

Worth noting Real wrapped up the La Liga title last week whereas Liverpool will be in a relentless fight with City for the PL, have an FA Cup Final also therefore it is likely Real will rest players and rotate the squad meaning they are fresher for the final

Happy city lost, over 10 years since Pep won the CL, whilst managing the best clubs in the world over that period. I can see City spending big (yet again) after another falling short in the CL again, I think City owners would swap the PL for CL.

Will be an interesting run in to the season, City have to win the PL now, Liverpool still are chasing 3 trophies, I can see them getting the FA and CL but maybe falling 1 point short in the PL.

Happy city lost, over 10 years since Pep won the CL, whilst managing the best clubs in the world over that period. I can see City spending big (yet again) after another falling short in the CL again, I think City owners would swap the PL for CL.

Will be an interesting run in to the season, City have to win the PL now, Liverpool still are chasing 3 trophies, I can see them getting the FA and CL but maybe falling 1 point short in the PL.
    I was amazed how emotionally brittle City were in that last few minutes - they bottled it. Actually the same was witnessed in the 2nd half at Atletico where City conceded a host of chances and just hung on for dear life but it does seem to be a character thing.

Liverpool suffered the same in the 1st half at Villarreal and luckily half time came plus Villarreal ran out of legs (and they aren't at the same level as Real Madrid).

Rodrygo is Madrid's Divock Origi it seems!

And yet I doubt there is a single top level team who wouldn’t take Pep in a heartbeat, and that includes Liverpool before Klopp.

Unlike many City fans, I would take a CL win over anything at present. Pep should shoulder some responsibility for last years final by not fielding a defensive midfielder but he did nothing wrong team selection wise last night.

Unlike the madness of the QF loss to Spurs, City were in no trouble last night until two minutes of madness that saw them lose their composure. Once it went to extra time there was only going to be one winner.
    Last edited by sevvy; 5th May 2022 at 08:51.

Suspect there is a chance.....

Sorry, yes there is a chance but I reckon Liverpool will roll them over in the final.

I think someone's licking his wounds (which as a Spurs fan I can empathise with).

Blog Entries
    Hola, ahora apoyo al Real Madrid.

I normally work on the grounds of geographical proximity …but I just can’t stand the idea of plastic Scousers emerging in their shiny new Liverpool tops…

z

City are very rarely in that siege position so I don’t think you can be too harsh. No doubts that Pep will make the necessary changes to fix it.

Madrid always come alive at the business end of this tournament and really shouldn’t be written off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    City are very rarely in that siege position so I don’t think you can be too harsh. No doubts that Pep will make the necessary changes to fix it.

Madrid always come alive at the business end of this tournament and really shouldn’t be written off.
    Pep should have won the CL at least twice more with that Barca team he had and once with Bayern.
    For the standard of teams he's had at his disposal his CL record is poor.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn’t underestimate Real in CL or any final for that matter.

Pep getting a slagging this morning from a talk sport phone in. Seems harsh to me. Pep has certainly pushed city on, they are routinely in the mix now in the latter stages of the CL.

Sometimes you need a bit of luck, Liverpool we’re only a cm or winning the prem ably a few seasons ago.

Master

Totally agree I couldn't see City dropping points in the league before this defeat and I think last nights result makes that even less likely. They will be deserving champions of course but it may still feel like an unfulfilled season such are the high standards the club now sets itself.

Liverpool will again miss out due to no reason other than City being immense ahead of them once again as they were in City's 100 point season.

Boooo
    Pep out !!!
    Get Dyche in asap . His team wouldn’t have folded last night .
    Good luck to the jolly japesters in the final . They are the bestest most deserving club in the world .

Remind me again why we boo the Chumpions League anthem ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Not really. You follow your team through thick and thin. Will still be there regardless of what that might look like

Not suggesting you won't still be there. was merely stating it has to be an emotional time for fans with all the goings on and uncertainty.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Pep should have won the CL at least twice more with that Barca team he had and once with Bayern.
    For the standard of teams he's had at his disposal his CL record is poor.
    I can’t agree with this, if you look at the winners over the last 12/13 years, there’s been what, 7?

The only team who’ve stood out over that period are Real, who arguably have done the reverse in terms of winning more than they really should have.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Boooo
    Pep out !!!
    Get Dyche in asap . His team wouldn’t have folded last night .
    Good luck to the jolly japesters in the final . They are the bestest most deserving club in the world .

Remind me again why we boo the Chumpions League anthem ?
    Are you one the AFTV crew?

City just need to keep going, they'll get there.

Look at Chelsea, took them 10 years, half a dozen semi final defeats, final defeat, until eventually, with a team past its peak, they won it in 2011.

It's about getting to these late stages consistently and then taking your chances and having a bit of luck.

I'm hoping the same plays out for Eng at the WC!

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xxnick1975; 5th May 2022 at 09:59.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I think someone's licking his wounds (which as a Spurs fan I can empathise with).
    Me ? Apologies if you had someone else in mind .
    But, licking my wounds from losing a semi final to Real Madrid ?
    For context , 24 years ago this week we were beating Stoke City 5-2 at the old Victoria Ground on the last day of the season but were still relegated to the old 3rd division .
    This is a cakewalk in comparison

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Me ? Apologies if you had someone else in mind .
    But, licking my wounds from losing a semi final to Real Madrid ?
    For context , 24 years ago this week we were beating Stoke City 5-2 at the old Victoria Ground on the last day of the season but were still relegated to the old 3rd division .
    This is a cakewalk in comparison
    That's probably what Tim Henman said in 1998, 1999, 2001 and 2002 in the interview after his Wimbledon SF match... not!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Part of the conspiracy theory to keep the footballing elite at the top and all others in their place?

Apologies Sevvy I know you have never suggested anything of the sort.
    Last edited by tango; 5th May 2022 at 10:31.

Part of the conspiracy theory to keep the footballing elite at the top and all others in their place?
    Not at all. We lost because we didn’t put them away in the first leg and lost our composure in added time. That doesn’t mean the refereeing wasn’t dreadful.

if you want to talk about conspiracy theories and the footballing elite then you need to look no further than UEFA’s proposals to allow places in the CL to “legacy” teams based on past record.