closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,150 of 2157

Thread: Premier League 2021-22

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    I was at the Leeds game and we were great, although Leeds were woeful. Was at the Burnley game and we were poor. Didn’t get there last night (mercifully) but we were poor again. The reason for the inconsistency is because we play only one way, and that way is only effective against certain types of opponents. Teams that leave space in behind for Kane to exploit and players like Son, Lucas, Kulu, Bergwijn or the wing backs to run into and we’re good. Teams that sit with a low block and leave no space and our lack of creativity is exposed, hence we look good against Leicester, Man City and Leeds, but like a pub team against Wolves, Burnley and Boro.

Harry Winks is a Championship player, he is awful - I’ve never seen seen a central MF as bad on the ball, get dispossessed or just give the ball away as much as him. Hoijberg is also terrible in possession. The other big culprits for giving the ball away are Sanchez (thankfully dropped) and Emerson (dreadful signing). Davies is also a Championship level player. Son has decent numbers since Conte arrived but his game has been poor. Take Kane out of this team and it’s a 12th-15th place team, he is the only thing that elevates us to top half of the table.

ENIC absolutely have to go in my opinion, they have no interest in building THFC into a trophy challenging club, we are merely a column on a spreadsheet to them. And as for Conte, he is currently underperforming using the same 343 tactics every game that are seeing our weakest links (central mid) woefully outnumbered and exposed. We have no control over the midfield in any game, he has to put an extra body in there or the same things will keep happening, but he is too stubborn.

Rant over!
    Yeah, for the most part I'm with you, and agree that Enic has a lot to answer for. However, I don't think the inconsistency is because we only play one way; it's more because we don't have the craft in midfield to cut through teams who play with 11 men behind the ball. Or maybe the two things are the same.

In any event, Winks is hopeless and I'm becoming more and more aware of Hojbjerg's deficiencies with the ball at his feet. I'll say again that I believe the future for us in central midfield is Bentancur and Skipp, at least for this season. We'll have Sarr joining us after that, and I'm also hopeful that Harvey White will be Premiership ready for next season.

Huge changes ahead for Chelsea. Whatever your thoughts are on Roman, what he's achieved for that club is amazing. I'll be happy if our new owners achieve a quarter of that success. While we're talking Chelsea, can anyone explain to me how Werner is a top-flight footballer?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    While we're talking Chelsea, can anyone explain to me how Werner is a top-flight footballer?
    There's a separate thread for that one!
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ver-understand

He is very frustrating to watch, but Werner took his goal very well last night + an excellent assist for Lukaku.

Huge changes ahead for Chelsea. Whatever your thoughts are on Roman, what he's achieved for that club is amazing. I'll be happy if our new owners achieve a quarter of that success. While we're talking Chelsea, can anyone explain to me how Werner is a top-flight footballer?
    He's spent a lot of money Dave.

I recall pre Oligarch that Chelsea were always a fairly lowly team who spent a lot of time avoiding or being relegated with a few bright periods between. Similar for Man City and West Ham.

Huge almost unlimited funds can buy success as will no doubt happen to Newcastle over time.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

I recall pre Oligarch that Chelsea were always a fairly lowly team who spent a lot of time avoiding or being relegated with a few bright periods between. Similar for Man City and West Ham.

Huge almost unlimited funds can buy success as will no doubt happen to Newcastle over time.
    With £1.5bn loan and £145m losses last year, given Citeh (of Manchester for those that will huff that there are other City teams) got at least an ear bending on Financial Fair Play I always wondered how he got away with it.

I remember Chelsea being sold for a pound, and like Fulham heavily advertising in the Metro for people to buy tickets to matches. I wonder if that lack of a new stadium will make them less attractive, and if there any oil barons left to bankroll them to a level of a hobby ala Abra or more akin to breakeven/ fundraising token ala Kroenkes Arsenal?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    ... Citeh (of Manchester for those that will huff that there are other City teams) got at least an ear bending on Financial Fair Play I always wondered how he got away with it.
    Was it not simply that the big investment went in prior to the FFP rules?

EDIT:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_F...ay_Regulations

"Implementation of the regulations took place at the outset of the 2011–12 football season"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Abramovich#Chelsea_Football_Club

"In the year ending June 2005, Chelsea posted record losses of £140 million (€165 million) and the club was not expected to record a trading profit before 2010, although this decreased to reported losses of £80.2 million (€94.3 million) in the year ending June 2006.[79] In a December 2006 interview, Abramovich stated that he expected Chelsea's transfer spending to fall in years to come."

Last edited by David_D; 3rd March 2022 at 22:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

In the 70s to 80s we were dreadful but once Ken Bates appointed Hoddle things changed, we reached the FA Cup in 94 but lost to ManU, won it in 97 and 2000, League Cup in 98, European Cup Winners Cup in 98 and Super Cup in 98 and quarter finals in the Champions League in 99 and did not finish lower than 6th in the 5 years before Abramovich arrived.
    Not bad for a “lowly team”.
    Last edited by bigvic; 4th March 2022 at 03:23.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    St Pauli have a very questionable moral compass and have milked their fans (and those who buy into the whole “Radical rebel”thing) dry.

If you are looking for a club with a moral high ground you are in for a long wait.
    QuEsTiOnAbLe MoRaL cOmPaSs you say, you clown?

Sankt Pauli made a strong statement against war during their game against Karlsruhe today, giving up advertising revenue by displaying ukrainian flags and anti-war messages throughout the match on the hoardings.

By the way, they won 3-1 and are not doing too bad in the table.

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    QuEsTiOnAbLe MoRaL cOmPaSs you say, you clown?

Sankt Pauli made a strong statement against war during their game against Karlsruhe today, giving up advertising revenue by displaying ukrainian flags and anti-war messages throughout the match on the hoardings.

By the way, they won 3-1 and are not doing too bad in the table.

There is something seriously wrong with you, seek help.

Today was the day for this song to make its return! Seventeen points taken from the last 21 available and unbeaten in 2022. Today wasn't too pretty apart from an excellent first goal but it's another win and team is full of confidence. Burn and Joelinton are immense.

Now for three away games on the bounce.

Eeh - I - Eeh - I - Eeh - I - O

Up the Premier League we go

When we get to Europe

This is what we'll sing

We are the Geordies, super Geordies

Eddie is our King

Blog Entries
    Keane & Neville nailed it post match on Sky.

Too many Man U players didn’t dig in 2nd half… & fresh subs did very little.

z

City were different class, but as Neville said the United players just switched off and were walking around. Even when 4-1 up in the two mins stoppage time Foden and Grealish were still chasing everything.

A good weekend for the mighty blues with Norwich, Watford and Burnley all losing. We just need to give Spurs a good thumping tomorrow (I don’t think).

Villa looked good yesterday and as reported on here by a special correspondent the rise of Newcastle continues. Can we borrow Eddie Howe for a couple of weeks

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Keane & Neville nailed it post match on Sky.

Too many Man U players didn’t dig in 2nd half… & fresh subs did very little.

z
    Not sure how Man U are going to ever comeback unless there is a massive clear out and bringing through youth players buying in just isn’t working.

Can’t see Everton going down bottom 3 will be that come end of season. Everton have always been fortunate there are 3 teams worse than them in the league.

Dear Arsenal, Spurs,Wolves and Leicester.
    You’re welcome

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Dear Arsenal, Spurs, Wolves and Leicester.
    You’re welcome

Cheers City, beers are on us. Although just Carling, none of that expensive European stuff as you still lost to Spurs ;)

The majority of those United players wouldn’t last five minutes under Klopp, Pep or Tuchel the way they stopped trying yesterday.
    That said, I don’t think the Glasers are bothered about creating a winning squad/mentality as they keep on reaping the dividends they do. Short of a rank and file clear out I don’t see anything changing.
    I have a feeling Fergie still wields considerable influence at the club and that’s part of the problem.

100% agree. I hate that the camera shows him at every Man Utd game. His time is history now. I don't think any coach will succeed with the spectre of the grim reaper constantly over his head. It's better financially for the club to be in the news than to win games. The more hits they get on social media platforms showing players in their kits, the more money the sponsors have to pay the club. It's an unbelievable situation and one I found out about listening to some football finance academic while Jose was there. It's a sh*tshow of a club now. How the mighty fall eh.

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    The majority of those United players wouldn’t last five minutes under Klopp, Pep or Tuchel the way they stopped trying yesterday.
    That said, I don’t think the Glasers are bothered about creating a winning squad/mentality as they keep on reaping the dividends they do. Short of a rank and file clear out I don’t see anything changing.
    I have a feeling Fergie still wields considerable influence at the club and that’s part of the problem.

100% agree. I hate that the camera shows him at every Man Utd game. His time is history now. I don't think any coach will succeed with the spectre of the grim reaper constantly over his head. It's better financially for the club to be in the news than to win games. The more hits they get on social media platforms showing players in their kits, the more money the sponsors have to pay the club. It's an unbelievable situation and one I found out about listening to some football finance academic while Jose was there. It's a sh*tshow of a club now. How the mighty fall eh.
    Looking at the state of United and Spurs now, I guess Mourinho wasn't such a bad manager after all

I think you might be right Ryan. Jose did say there were too many Spurs players that simply weren't good enough and most are still playing in the first team.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Looking at the state of United and Spurs now, I guess Mourinho wasn't such a bad manager after all

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    Was it not Fergie who wanted Moyes in the job when Jose was top of his game?

I said to a Man U mate of mine years ago that Fergie never wanted someone to keep them top because it would have diminished his "legacy" Much rather have fans wishing for the "good old days" rather than looking to the future.

Welcome to Liverpool pre new ownership.

Dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Needs a clear out, Keane has now scored two own goals and gifted Foden his goal for City. I’d also get rid of Pickford and Coleman is an old man now despite years of great service. Holgate is another who is not good enough. I’m also not convinced about Allan either.

Has Calvert Lewin touched the ball this half?

5-0 and half an hour still to go.

Do I stick with it or try and find Songs of Praise on the I Player - tough call

Thanks Everton for wiping out Arsenal's goal difference advantage against Spurs

I fear Everton are gone. The last time I witnessed apathy like this Mike Walker was around.

Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    I fear Everton are gone. The last time I witnessed apathy like this Mike Walker was around.
    Our back four would struggle in the Championship. We might be lucky with Norwich, Watford and Burnley being equally bad, but it might do the club good to go down.

I really struggle watching Everton at the moment because you know the outcome before the game starts.

I would stick with Lamps, but half that team have to be told that they do not feature in next seasons plans.

Everton were terrible at Newcastle a couple weeks ago and even worse tonight. They're a shambles and have regressed under Lampard. I said at the time Lampard was a bad decision and only his name got him the job. I fear for Everton fans that I was right. Two games coming up against Burnley and Watford are massive.

Everton were terrible at Newcastle a couple weeks ago and even worse tonight. They're a shambles and have regressed under Lampard. I said at the time Lampard was a bad decision and only his name got him the job. I fear for Everton fans that I was right. Two games coming up against Burnley and Watford are massive.
    If they sack Lamps, who is next, Sparky Hughes, Big Sam or one of the many managers that the chairman has already sacked.
    Big games for sure, but could you imagine if we had to play Liverpool right now - double figures for sure.

At some point they have to stick with a manager and it might aswell be Frank. My point is more about he was never good enough for Everton rather than sacking him. He's achieved nothing but gets a big EPL job. Stick with him, even if it takes you down. Let him build a team and a squad over several years and get some stability. Not every manager can be as amazing as Eddie ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    If they sack Lamps, who is next, Sparky Hughes, Big Sam or one of the many managers that the chairman has already sacked.
    Big games for sure, but could you imagine if we had to play Liverpool right now - double figures for sure.

At some point they have to stick with a manager and it might aswell be Frank. My point is more about he was never good enough for Everton rather than sacking him. He's achieved nothing but gets a big EPL job. Stick with him, even if it takes you down. Let him build a team and a squad over several years and get some stability. Not every manager can be as amazing as Eddie ;)
    I must admit I was impressed when Rafa stayed loyal to Newcastle when they went down and brought them back the following season and at the time I thought you should have stuck with him, but clearly he was never going to be a right fit for us.

I agree with you, stick with Frank and work through it.

Thanks Everton for wiping out Arsenal's goal difference advantage against Spurs
    You're such a twat, Ryan. I did warn you that you talk too much.

Rafa would have stayed had it not been for Ashley. Rafa had the city and the fans behind him but once back in the EPL, Ashley wasn't interested in anything other than finishing 17th so I don't blame Rafa for leaving at all. He'll always be loved up here because he stayed for that Championship campaign. His football was pragmatic and efficient because that's what was needed. I feel now though that he's a bit of a busted flush in the modern / current game.

I must admit I was impressed when Rafa stayed loyal to Newcastle when they went down and brought them back the following season and at the time I thought you should have stuck with him, but clearly he was never going to be a right fit for us.

I agree with you, stick with Frank and work through it.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    You're such a twat, Ryan. I did warn you that you talk too much.
    Eh?

Our back four would struggle in the Championship. We might be lucky with Norwich, Watford and Burnley being equally bad, but it might do the club good to go down.

I really struggle watching Everton at the moment because you know the outcome before the game starts.

I would stick with Lamps, but half that team have to be told that they do not feature in next seasons plans.
    Michael Keane can’t play for the club again, he looks lost. I’m afraid Coleman has also had his day and we have to keep someone there who isn’t constantly letting players in behind.

Godfrey and Branthwaite have to be the centre half pair of we’ve any chance. God knows where Mina is but he’s been a big loss. It’s quite simply a case of all home games to be won but that won’t happen with away performances like the last few.

I fear they’re gone.

Chelsea FC seized by UK government. No more tickets can be sold, club shop can't be opened. Players wages will be paid however this is essentially aimed at ensuring Abramovic cannot benefit financially and essentially the value of the club just plummeted for prospective buyers. So basically if Chelsea get through to the next round of the Champions League only Season Ticket holders can attend the home fixture - same applies to any Premier League games that would have had tickets still for sale.

Master
    Chelsea FC seized by UK government. No more tickets can be sold, club shop can't be opened. Players wages will be paid however this is essentially aimed at ensuring Abramovic cannot benefit financially and essentially the value of the club just plummeted for prospective buyers. So basically if Chelsea get through to the next round of the Champions League only Season Ticket holders can attend the home fixture - same applies to any Premier League games that would have had tickets still for sale.
    Chelsea are screwed if the extent of sanctions are as strict as seems - no ticket sales, no merchandise sales, no contracts for new players, no new contracts for existing players, sponsors will leave.
    Going to be a tough time - not sure any club can survive under those circumstances.

Boris has sprung into action promising to lead Chelsea from the front, and has released his 6 point plan to er tackle the problem...

Master
    More like Boris’s style.

The irony being that now Chelsea is controlled by the UK Government it is in more corrupt hands today than it was yesterday.....

Blog Entries
    The irony being that now Chelsea is controlled by the UK Government it is in more corrupt hands today than it was yesterday.....
    Spot on i reckon the club will be sold by the Govt to carry on the normal business of a football club with the money from the sale going to the Govt to use in its support of the Ukraine with RA seeing nothing from the sale.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

So basically if Chelsea get through to the next round of the Champions League only Season Ticket holders can attend the home fixture - same applies to any Premier League games that would have had tickets still for sale.
    I’m a season ticket holder but that doesn’t give me CL or FA cup tickets, I assumed those sales are frozen too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Spot on i reckon the club will be sold by the Govt to carry on the normal business of a football club with the money from the sale going to the Govt to use in its support of the Ukraine with RA seeing nothing from the sale.
    Sounds good

Master
    Enjoying the Leeds v Villa game. Leeds are in free fall and you can see why, but I still hope they and Brentford stay up - at least they’re showing some fight.

Assuming Watford and Norwich are as good as down then it’s 1 from 4. I still wouldn’t bet against Burnley staying up, so it’s up to Everton to do something with their games in hand...

Watching the Manchester derby the other day it’s hard to believe Utd aren’t at this end of the table...

Another win. Top half finish?

Another win. Top half finish?
    Made up for you, I watched it. Southampton came close to an equaliser late on.

Norwich, Watford and Leeds all lose - all we need now is a win for the mighty Blues.

What’s your next fixture Ken?

Made up for you, I watched it. Southampton came close to an equaliser late on.

Norwich, Watford and Leeds all lose - all we need now is a win for the mighty Blues.

What’s your next fixture Ken?
    We have games in hand, but due to play Watford, Burnley and Leicester soon, which are games that any manager would see as possible wins.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Chelsea are screwed if the extent of sanctions are as strict as seems - no ticket sales, no merchandise sales, no contracts for new players, no new contracts for existing players, sponsors will leave.
    Going to be a tough time - not sure any club can survive under those circumstances.
    Whilst the gut reaction to the news yesterday was glee, I do feel for the fanbase who have no control over who the owners are and have suddenly been thrown into complete uncertainty around what the future holds.

And we have the added dimension of teams who thought they were out of the Champions League places run in, secretly believing they may now still have a chance if Chelsea are excluded, which is very much possible, given what's happening currently.

I personally don't think that would be fair on Chelsea but then when has that ever mattered.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    I imagine there's a legal distinction between freezing assets and seizing/selling assets.

Villa playing some quality stuff ,good balance all over the pitch.onwards and definitely upwards.UTV.