timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,750 of 2171

Thread: Premier League 2021-22

Master
    Quality journalism!

Craftsman
    Rangnick's now part time gig at United has to be one of the better ones around.

Clearly the club doesn't think the club is broken enough to require a full time 'consultant'.

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    No you misunderstand my point I think.

Pep stayed in his previous management jobs for 4 years and 3 years respectively. He is known as manager who likes a fresh challenge and the fact that he has been at City since 2016 already makes this his longest stay.

I just feel he may leave for a different challenge if he wins the Champs League, with nothing left to prove at City. My money reference is simply that if anyone can try and make him change his mind and go against what he has historically done then it is City, they have financial means matched by no other club now that Roman has given up Chelsea.

Tripling the £19 million he is currently on may well tempt him, but then again he may well feel he has enough and leave anyway. Klopp could not be tempted by a similar offer should he have decided he wanted a fresh challenge is my point.

I think Pep is worth every single penny personally, but to say finances have nothing to do with things is naive and to suggest any club except Chelsea (Under Roman) and perhaps United can compete with City financially is disingenuous.

For the record I have never subscribed to the 'money guarantees success' mantra and concede that even with all the money in the world, City without Pep as manager would not have been as consistently successful as they have been.

I was not referring to Pep as a chequebook manager rather City as a chequebook club with finances to make most change their mind.

And I agree they have both been sensational and long may they both continue in the Premier League.
    Agree with everything you say.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Quality journalism!

I saw that yesterday
    Just the latest in a long line of click bait journos with no agenda at all, no sir .

No you misunderstand my point I think.

I was not referring to Pep as a chequebook manager rather City as a chequebook club with finances to make most change their mind.

Thanks .
    I donít wish to keep highlighting your posts as I think a fair it of what you said makes sense.
    This bit about City being a chequebook club is a bit disingenuous though.
    Granted, we spent to get to where we are but are very much self sufficient now . The money is there if needed but thereís no scattergun approach to transfers any more .
    To steal a phrase from Ivan , our net spend recently stands up against most .
    Spending to eat at the trough is necessary , Newcastle will discover this very soon, and much will be put in the way to try and keep the established history clubs at the top .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    I donít wish to keep highlighting your posts as I think a fair it of what you said makes sense.
    Granted, we spent to get to where we are but are very much self sufficient now . The money is there if needed but thereís no scattergun approach to transfers any more .
    Spending to eat at the trough is necessary , Newcastle will discover this very soon, and much will be put in the way to try and keep the established history clubs at the top .
    I don't have any particular issue with Man City as a club, but to say your net spend is about average (is that what you're implying?) does not ring true for me. It's second only to United from all clubs across Europe. Combine that with the 3rd highest wage bill in the league and the highest paid manager, why would you even argue that City are not a cheque book club? As a fan, does it make you feel the success is less legitimate?

The self-sufficiency piece is highly dubious when you consider much of City's revenues come from linked ownership - basically a way for the owners to get around financial fair play regulations.

City are a fantastic side, that play amazing football, with a superb manager. They just happened to get there because of an awful lot of cash from Abu Dhabi's deputy PM and member of the royal family.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    I don’t wish to keep highlighting your posts as I think a fair it of what you said makes sense.
    Granted, we spent to get to where we are but are very much self sufficient now . The money is there if needed but there’s no scattergun approach to transfers any more .
    Yes I will concede City do not unnecessarily spend cash in the way perhaps United did in signing Sanchez and Ronaldo to stop others (City) from having them. There is very definitely a sound system and policy in place and they seem to have an upper limit on price despite having infinite state wealth behind them.

I still feel you miss my point though. I was not at all implying City's spending equalled success. I was merely making the point that in the case of trying to convince Pep (or any other player) to stay longer at the club, they have the financial means to make an offer that can't be refused. Not many other clubs have that ability, Liverpool certainly did not when it came to convincing Klopp. It's not the only reason Pep would stay off course but we have to admit it's an added string to City's bow that few others have.

I do not however understand your point about trying to keep the established history clubs at the top, a club makes it's own history as City is doing now and there is no great conspiracy to be found, had this been the case Liverpool would not have had 30 years in the wilderness.

I am sure you would not be comfortable if the same allegation was levelled against City in 20 years from now, by fans of whichever team happened to be doing what City are doing currently.

Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    I don't have any particular issue with Man City as a club, but to say your net spend is about average (is that what you're implying?) does not ring true for me. It's second only to United from all clubs across Europe. Combine that with the 3rd highest wage bill in the league and the highest paid manager, why would you even argue that City are not a cheque book club? As a fan, does it make you feel the success is less legitimate?

The self-sufficiency piece is highly dubious when you consider much of City's revenues come from linked ownership - basically a way for the owners to get around financial fair play regulations.

City are a fantastic side, that play amazing football, with a superb manager. They just happened to get there because of an awful lot of cash from Abu Dhabi's deputy PM and member of the royal family.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk
    No, I didnít imply that at all. I said , or at least I meant, lately.
    I said we had to spend to get to where we are now. The club as a whole is now an attractive place to be for any footballer. We are mixing it with the old established order and the fact is that the finances had to be in place to compete.
    The FFP issue crops up all the time and has been proven to be a nonsense. It was heavily weighted to protect the old cartel .
    Our sponsorships are invariably linked to the clubs owners and where they come from, but that is less and less the case these days .The majority of our sponsorship comes from other sources. Coupled with the fact that a percentage of the club has been sold to a Chinese body and an American consortium further highlights that we are less reliant on ADUG .

Finally, how does anyone legitimize success?
    Thereís not a club in the Premier League that doesnít have massive cash investments and /or dodgy sponsorships , so no, I donít have to justify it.

Craftsman
    Mino Raiola has passed away confirmed now.

Some real high profile players now needing to find a new agent.
    Last edited by tango; 30th April 2022 at 19:19.

Craftsman
    Massive massive for Everton if they hold on!

Well deserved for Everton - Pickford played a blinder

Massive massive for Everton if they hold on!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Well deserved for Everton - Pickford played a blinder
    Bugger!

With four games to go, two or which are Chelsea and Arsenal, itís going to be tough for Leeds now.

I had it in my mind that we would need to beat Brighton on the last day of the season bug even tgst may not be enough now.

Grand Master
    Massive win for Everton! Jordan Pickford take a bow. His little arms were outstanding today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Bugger!

With four games to go, two or which are Chelsea and Arsenal, itís going to be tough for Leeds now.

I had it in my mind that we would need to beat Brighton on the last day of the season bug even tgst may not be enough now.
    Arsenal also play Everton at the Emirates and Spurs Burnley at Tottenham Stadium so a lot of permutations possible

Arsenal also play Everton at the Emirates and Spurs Burnley at Tottenham Stadium so a lot of permutations possible
    True, but that leaves Burley with three games to score as many points as Leeds do in two and Everton four games to score two more pints tgan Leeds in two.

I really canít see Leeds surviving unless they pull off an upset against either Arsenal or Chelsea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    True, but that leaves Burley with three games to score as many points as Leeds do in two and Everton four games to score two more pints tgan Leeds in two.

I really can’t see Leeds surviving unless they pull off an upset against either Arsenal or Chelsea.
    Just checked the remaining fixtures and I reckon Everton will get 9 points from their remaining 5 games (lose at Leicester, win at Watford, Win home to Brentford, win home to Palace, lost at Arsenal), Burnley 4 points (Win home to Villa, Lose at Spurs, Lose at Villa, draw home to Newcastle) and Leeds will get 4 points (lose at Arsenal, lose home to Chelsea, win home to Brighton and draw at Brentford) so that would see Leeds finish on the same number of points at Burnley but go down on Goal Difference. Of course that's just finger in the air stuff

So it's between Arsenal and Spurs for the final CL slot. Looking at this weekend's fixtures one would imagine Arsenal will beat Leeds and Spurs lose at Anfield which would put the Gunners 5 points clear.

However next game after that is the North London Derby at Tottenham Stadium and then Arsenal have a tricky game at Newcastle so I think if Spurs can avoid a pasting at Anfield and maintain their positive goal difference over Arsenal then if they win the NLD to go 2 points behind Arsenal I think Arsenal will probably drop points at Newcastle leaving Spurs to beat Norwich and Burnley to get Top 4. Arsenal's final game is home to Everton.

Fair to say that whoever does get top 4 will deserve it and also fair to say that it is unlikely Spurs fans were imagining top 4 as a possibility when Conte took over or Arsenal fans after the horrendous start to the season when Arsenal were rock bottom.

So it's between Arsenal and Spurs for the final CL slot. Looking at this weekend's fixtures one would imagine Arsenal will beat Leeds and Spurs lose at Anfield which would put the Gunners 5 points clear.

However next game after that is the North London Derby at Tottenham Stadium and then Arsenal have a tricky game at Newcastle so I think if Spurs can avoid a pasting at Anfield and maintain their positive goal difference over Arsenal then if they win the NLD to go 2 points behind Arsenal I think Arsenal will probably drop points at Newcastle leaving Spurs to beat Norwich and Burnley to get Top 4. Arsenal's final game is home to Everton.

Fair to say that whoever does get top 4 will deserve it and also fair to say that it is unlikely Spurs fans were imagining top 4 as a possibility when Conte took over or Arsenal fans after the horrendous start to the season when Arsenal were rock bottom.
    I think we can do it, to think if we did not lose those 3 games on the spin that should have been wins we would be a solid 3rd now.

Spurs should lose to Liverpool, we should beat Leeds, meaning if we beat Spurs we get 4th, but even a draw with Spurs will leave us in a very strong position. But then no games in the PL are easy so who really knows. The last few games have really highlighted our need for a striker, our midfield is looking very good, def is getting there, if we keep Saliba next season will be even stronger, think we should cash in on Tierney, even though he is so good just gets injured way too often. Just up top we are struggling, if we had a 20+ goal striker we can push top 4 each season. We are still way off Liverpool / City but top 4 should be achievable for the next few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    I think we can do it, to think if we did not lose those 3 games on the spin that should have been wins we would be a solid 3rd now.

Spurs should lose to Liverpool, we should beat Leeds, meaning if we beat Spurs we get 4th, but even a draw with Spurs will leave us in a very strong position. But then no games in the PL are easy so who really knows. The last few games have really highlighted our need for a striker, our midfield is looking very good, def is getting there, if we keep Saliba next season will be even stronger, think we should cash in on Tierney, even though he is so good just gets injured way too often. Just up top we are struggling, if we had a 20+ goal striker we can push top 4 each season. We are still way off Liverpool / City but top 4 should be achievable for the next few seasons.
    True but also to think Spurs won at Man City and then proceeded to lose at Burnley and also had some dodgy home results vs Brighton (as did we) and Southampton so it's all very topsy-turvy!

Re our lack of striker I agree, although Nketiah has improved a lot in recent performances. He should have had at least 1 goal at West Ham

Grand Master
    That's a £10 acca right there! If that comes in you'll never work again.

Just checked the remaining fixtures and I reckon Everton will get 9 points from their remaining 5 games (lose at Leicester, win at Watford, Win home to Brentford, win home to Palace, lost at Arsenal), Burnley 4 points (Win home to Villa, Lose at Spurs, Lose at Villa, draw home to Newcastle) and Leeds will get 4 points (lose at Arsenal, lose home to Chelsea, win home to Brighton and draw at Brentford) so that would see Leeds finish on the same number of points at Burnley but go down on Goal Difference. Of course that's just finger in the air stuff

Craftsman
    Chelsea fans emotions must be all over the place, given the kind of numbers and possible debt repayment figures to Roman being mentioned across various media outlets today.

Master
    Chelsea fans emotions must be all over the place, given the kind of numbers and possible debt repayment figures to Roman being mentioned across various media outlets today.
    Yes could be a long fall from grace however I expect theyll find a loophole of sorts and a deal will get done,

PS United fans been singing this for years its somewhat ironic now

hollow, hollow, hollow
    chelseas success is f*****g hollow,
    all that money they took from that big russian crook,
    but youll never win 3 in a row

Craftsman
    Fraudiola blowing it again in Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Think I can possibly hear Man City's chequebook creaking openÖ

Some turnaround by Madrid, 15 mins for Pep to turn it back around

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

3rd CL game in a row 100m Grealish has been on bench - guess he doesnít have full confidence in him yet for Euro games, though he could of had two goals!

Feel bad for Debruyne if it stays like this. I can only assume Pep thought the game was in the bag and took him off to rest him for the league

Madrid's name on trophy. Something incredible is going on.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wowzers

Craftsman
    I thought that ref for the Madrid City game was terrible, Casimero should have got 2 yellows in the first half. Just one yellow would have put him on edge for the rest of the game but to receive nothing for the tackles on DeBroyne and Foden was poor refereeing.

Thumbs up

Madrid's name on trophy. Something incredible is going on.

Not a chance thatíll happen imv

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    3rd CL game in a row 100m Grealish has been on bench - guess he doesnít have full confidence in him yet for Euro games, though he could of had two goals!

Feel bad for Debruyne if it stays like this. I can only assume Pep thought the game was in the bag and took him off to rest him for the league
    Crazy decision. When your that close to a final you don't mess about.

The game was an absolute borefest for 85 mins. Can't wait for the final. Hope the pool thrash real.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think Liverpool (Mo in particular) will be out to prove a point in Paris.

Liverpool have done if before against Madrid in Paris tooÖ..

Craftsman
    Not really. You follow your team through thick and thin. Will still be there regardless of what that might look like

AFC Bournemouth got promoted last night so there will be a Russian owned club in the Premier League next year after all

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Not a chance thatíll happen imv
    Suspect there is a chance.....

City froze after that first goal and the atmosphere got to them. That said the refereeing tonight was shocking and how only 3 minutes added time was called at the end with the ref blowing the whistle even before then is beyond me. This tie was lost with those missed chances in the first leg.

For all those dicks (scouser unsurprisingly) resorting to Fraudiola comments just remember Alex Ferguson is widely regarded as the best modern day manager yet won 2 CL in 26 years in charge of the one of the richest clubs in the world with some of the best players in the world. Pep’s been a manger 12 and won the same.
    Last edited by sevvy; 4th May 2022 at 23:14.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Costly individual errors and small margins. Shouldnít be losing a game with 10 shots on target. Think RM will give Liverpool more of a game than City would have, mind you. Liverpool peaking as the season ends whereas City in danger of petering out.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Costly individual errors and small margins. Shouldnít be losing a game with 10 shots on target. Think RM will give Liverpool more of a game than City would have, mind you. Liverpool peaking as the season ends whereas City in danger of petering out.
    I reckon Liverpool will be happier to face Madrid if honest - Salah also mentioned this. Prob due to the last time they met they played a blinder apart from 1 bit of Bale magic and 2 x Karius cockups. Least no Bale anymore :)

Tough regardless

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    City froze after that first goal and the atmosphere got to them. That said the refereeing tonight was shocking and how only 3 minutes added time was called at the end with the ref blowing the whistle even before then is beyond me. This tie was lost with those missed chances in the first leg.

For all those dicks (scouser unsurprisingly) resorting to Fraudiola comments just remember Alex Ferguson is widely regarded as the best modern day manager yet won 2 CL in 26 years in charge of the one of the richest clubs in the world with some of the best players in the world. Pepís been a manger 12 and won the same.
    Nice.

Fergie built Manu didn't he from nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I reckon Liverpool will be happier to face Madrid if honest - Salah also mentioned this. Prob due to the last time they met they played a blinder apart from 1 bit of Bale magic and 2 x Karius cockups. Least no Bale anymore :)

Tough regardless
    And Salah getting took out the game.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Nice.

Fergie built Manu didn't he from nothing.
    Indeed he did. Pep inherited a top 3 team - Mancini and Pellegrini were just a little inconsistent and I guess failed to deliver the main prize!!

Master
    City are just another version of PSG .
    Throw lots and lots of money at the thing but ultimately fall short
    Would fancy Liverpool for the final but that trophy is a bit special for RM.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post

For all those dicks (scouser unsurprisingly) resorting to Fraudiola comments just remember Alex Ferguson is widely regarded as the best modern day manager yet won 2 CL in 26 years in charge of the one of the richest clubs in the world with some of the best players in the world. Pep’s been a manger 12 and won the same.
    As I said before the first leg, pedigree goes a long way in this competition and the only danger to City was letting the occasion get to them, on paper and form this game should have had only one winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    City are just another version of PSG .
    Throw lots and lots of money at the thing but ultimately fall short
    Would fancy Liverpool for the final but that trophy is a bit special for RM.
    I think thatís a little unfair, City have shown clear progress in this competition, United under Fergie are a good example of how Champions League success is a gradual process.

I agree with you on Liverpool for the final, that trophy is a little bit special for them too, should be a great final regardless.

Craftsman
    Delighted itís Real and not City in the final.

City Liverpool games now are a coin toss and can go either way. Real are poor in comparison to previous years but they have had luck on their side in the last couple of games.

Liverpool will win, number 7 incoming !

Worth noting Real wrapped up the La Liga title last week whereas Liverpool will be in a relentless fight with City for the PL, have an FA Cup Final also therefore it is likely Real will rest players and rotate the squad meaning they are fresher for the final

Happy city lost, over 10 years since Pep won the CL, whilst managing the best clubs in the world over that period. I can see City spending big (yet again) after another falling short in the CL again, I think City owners would swap the PL for CL.

Will be an interesting run in to the season, City have to win the PL now, Liverpool still are chasing 3 trophies, I can see them getting the FA and CL but maybe falling 1 point short in the PL.

Happy city lost, over 10 years since Pep won the CL, whilst managing the best clubs in the world over that period. I can see City spending big (yet again) after another falling short in the CL again, I think City owners would swap the PL for CL.

Will be an interesting run in to the season, City have to win the PL now, Liverpool still are chasing 3 trophies, I can see them getting the FA and CL but maybe falling 1 point short in the PL.
    I was amazed how emotionally brittle City were in that last few minutes - they bottled it. Actually the same was witnessed in the 2nd half at Atletico where City conceded a host of chances and just hung on for dear life but it does seem to be a character thing.

Liverpool suffered the same in the 1st half at Villarreal and luckily half time came plus Villarreal ran out of legs (and they aren't at the same level as Real Madrid).

Rodrygo is Madrid's Divock Origi it seems!

And yet I doubt there is a single top level team who wouldn’t take Pep in a heartbeat, and that includes Liverpool before Klopp.

Unlike many City fans, I would take a CL win over anything at present. Pep should shoulder some responsibility for last years final by not fielding a defensive midfielder but he did nothing wrong team selection wise last night.

Unlike the madness of the QF loss to Spurs, City were in no trouble last night until two minutes of madness that saw them lose their composure. Once it went to extra time there was only going to be one winner.
    Last edited by sevvy; 5th May 2022 at 08:51.

Suspect there is a chance.....

Sorry, yes there is a chance but I reckon Liverpool will roll them over in the final.

I think someone's licking his wounds (which as a Spurs fan I can empathise with).

Blog Entries
    Hola, ahora apoyo al Real Madrid.

I normally work on the grounds of geographical proximity Öbut I just canít stand the idea of plastic Scousers emerging in their shiny new Liverpool topsÖ

z