closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help - any Speedmaster 1861 owners on bracelet with 7 inch wrists?

Help - any Speedmaster 1861 owners on bracelet with 7 inch wrists?

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Speedmaster 1861 (the recently discontinued one) on bracelet but I'm concerned that I may not be able to get a good fit on my 7 inch wrists. How are owners with similar sized wrists getting on with the bracelet?

Many thanks.

6 3/4" fits me fine

Thanks. It's not the case size (I've tried one on at an AD and have no issues) it's getting a good fit on the bracelet that's the concern. I've been spoiled with glide lock clasps lately.

There is a small micro adjust on the clasp and links are small so shouldn't be an issue

I have a 7.5 inch wrist and have no issues with any of my Speedies with the bracelet.

Very easy to remove links and adjust and there is a half link and some micro adjust holes on the clasp.

Plus even if you don’t get in with the bracelet the speedy is a strap monster and goes with everything!

Grand Master
    Try the watch on and make the decision based on your own opinion, that’s the only way to answer your question.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Try the watch on and make the decision based on your own opinion, that’s the only way to answer your question.
    I've tried it on at a local AD but that doesn't address my concern as to whether the bracelet will be a good fit on my 7 inch wrists :-).

I will only be wearing this on the bracelet so it's pretty important to me.

May I recommend the Uncle Seiko 1171 bracelet. So comfortable, so easy to get a good fit, such great adjustability with eight, YES EIGHT, micro adjustments on the clasp. A superbly comfortable bracelet, much more so than the Omega 1171/1 and cheaper too.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I've tried it on at a local AD but that doesn't address my concern as to whether the bracelet will be a good fit on my 7 inch wrists :-).

I will only be wearing this on the bracelet so it's pretty important to me.
    So have you tried on an example with a bracelet?

One man's perfect fit may be another's uncomfortable fit.

Like I say, there is micro adjust on the clasp and you can remove links.

Difficult to help you more after that.

Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    So have you tried on an example with a bracelet?

One man's perfect fit may be another's uncomfortable fit.

Like I say, there is micro adjust on the clasp and you can remove links.

Difficult to help you more after that.
    Yes I tried it on with the bracelet but I didn't expect the AD to size the bracelet for me just so I could see if it was a good fit as I did not intend to purchase at the time. Maybe I should have but I don't like to ask them to go to the trouble if I've no intention of buying. I like the bracelet on the tighter side.

Good to know about the micro adjustment. I manged to get a perfect fit on the BB58 that has similar limitations to the bracelet (no glidelock adjust) so fingers crossed!

Craftsman
    There are no half links to the bracelet with screw. I bought the seamaster claps with push/pull adjustment and 2 links to fit the bracelet.
    The speedmaster claps has only 2 holes for adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
    There are no half links to the bracelet with screw. I bought the seamaster claps with push/pull adjustment and 2 links to fit the bracelet.
    The speedmaster claps has only 2 holes for adjustment.

Cheers. The youtuber known as 'Just Blue Fish' did a similar clasp mod to his 1861 so I guess that's another option along with the Uncle Seiko recommendation (thanks dkpw) if I do struggle to get a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    May I recommend the Uncle Seiko 1171 bracelet. So comfortable, so easy to get a good fit, such great adjustability with eight, YES EIGHT, micro adjustments on the clasp. A superbly comfortable bracelet, much more so than the Omega 1171/1 and cheaper too.
    I second this recommendation. The original bracelet for the modern 1861 Speedy is quite heavy and not as adjustable as the Uncle Seiko alternatives. If you are a bracelet fan, give the US offerings a serious look.

I have never managed to get a consistently comfortable fit on mine, with a wrist that has varied in size over the years between 6.75”-7”.

No half links, one micro adjust position and end links that stick out.

I very rarely wear it on the bracelet and will likely buy an Uncle Seiko to improve the wearability.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Horses for courses - you won;t know until you try. I never had an issue with sizing. Try the original bracelet and change things if you need to.

The bracelet can be tricky to adjust yourself so you may find this video helpful...

https://youtu.be/npMkuZa4fD4

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Thanks. It's not the case size (I've tried one on at an AD and have no issues) it's getting a good fit on the bracelet that's the concern. I've been spoiled with glide lock clasps lately.
    The trouble with that question, whilst natural to ask, is that it’s not really possibly to answer - in my experience, a couple of mm can be the difference between heaven and hell with fit and comfort.

Respondents might be less (or more) accurate than you in measuring their wrist, might be more (or less) prone to fluctuations in wrist size during the day, and might be more (or less) tolerant of a poor fit. Each Friday thread shows members who wear their watch loose, with others seemingly using their watch as a tourniquet….

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    The trouble with that question, whilst natural to ask, is that it’s not really possibly to answer - in my experience, a couple of mm can be the difference between heaven and hell with fit and comfort.

Respondents might be less (or more) accurate than you in measuring their wrist, might be more (or less) prone to fluctuations in wrist size during the day, and might be more (or less) tolerant of a poor fit. Each Friday thread shows members who wear their watch loose, with others seemingly using their watch as a tourniquet….
    A fair point. I can get a perfect fit on my BB58 but I've heard people who 'have' the same size wrists as me complaining that they can't get a good fit.

I think I'm going to go ahead with the Speedy so fingers crossed it's all good.

You'll be fine. I have a seamaster with speedy bracelet sans microadjust and found the perfect fit by adding an additional half link for extra fine tuning. I have a 6.45" wrist.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Speedmaster 1861 (the recently discontinued one) on bracelet but I'm concerned that I may not be able to get a good fit on my 7 inch wrists. How are owners with similar sized wrists getting on with the bracelet?

Many thanks.
    I’ve got similar sized wrists and have owned half a dozen Speedmasters with various bracelets. You will be just fine.

Journeyman
    I have tiny wrists but still love wearing my speedmaster.. Although 42mm i would say it wears like a 40mm

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    I’ve got similar sized wrists and have owned half a dozen Speedmasters with various bracelets. You will be just fine.

UPDATE: I got my 1861 today (absolutely awesome watch) and took it to my local AD to size the bracelet. They initially took 3 links out leaving 6 each side. This was too loose so they removed another from the 6 o'clock side leaving 6 plus clasp on 12 side and 5 plus clasp on 6pm side. Unfortunately it's just a touch too tight (the clasp won't even close easily). I'll see if I can live with it as is but my wrists tend to swell in the morning so the concern is it's going to be unbearably tight tomorrow am. Disappointing.

Craftsman
    UPDATE: I got my 1861 today (absolutely awesome watch) and took it to my local AD to size the bracelet. They initially took 3 links out leaving 6 each side. This was too loose so they removed another from the 6 o'clock side leaving 6 plus clasp on 12 side and 5 plus clasp on 6pm side. Unfortunately it's just a touch too tight (the clasp won't even close easily). I'll see if I can live with it as is but my wrists tend to swell in the morning so the concern is it's going to be unbearably tight tomorrow am. Disappointing.
    Sounds like it could be too tight to me if it’s difficult to close the clasp. I couldn’t live with it being that tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    Sounds like it could be too tight to me if it’s difficult to close the clasp. I couldn’t live with it being that tight.

It's 'just about ok' right now for my 18 cm wrists but my wrists get bigger in the mornings. Time will tell. I do hope it's not going to be a problem but if it is I'll probably seek out the clasp mod.

My wrist is 7" and I had a good fit with the 1861 bracelet, but it depends on what you define as a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    My wrist is 7" and I had a good fit with the 1861 bracelet, but it depends on what you define as a good fit.
    I just measured my wrist again and it's 18cm which is a tad over 7 inches, plus my wrist gets bigger in the mornings. In terms of what is a good fit, I like the bracelet tight but obviously there's a limit. It's just on that comfort limit for now. Spose it's a good incentive to lose a little weight (not that I'm fat).

I just measured my wrist again and it's 18cm which is a tad over 7 inches, plus my wrist gets bigger in the mornings. In terms of what is a good fit, I like the bracelet tight but obviously there's a limit. It's just on that comfort limit for now. Spose it's a good incentive to lose a little weight (not that I'm fat).
    I don't think you will have an issue with it. I've had a few Speedies (1861) and the bracelet always fitted me well, but I've since sold them all.

I'm actually trying to decide if I want the new version or pick up the 1861 again, but it's likely to be the 3861 as I'd like to try one.

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    I'm actually trying to decide if I want the new version or pick up the 1861 again, but it's likely to be the 3861 as I'd like to try one.
    I had the same conversation with myself. The 3861 is definitely a step up. Omega Metas cert calibres are phenomenal in terms of accuracy plus I like the anti magnetic quality. That said, I prefer the look of the 1861 bracelet plus the 3861 is still quite a significant premium over the 1861. I'd be very happy for someone to buy or gift me a 3861 but if I'm paying with my money, the 1861 makes the most sense to me.