closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolex safety.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think there are some obvious places that any group of criminals who wish to mug people for there Rolex etc would choose.

Outside of those obvious haunts my view is the risk is very low. Equally likely to be mugged for an iPhone.

We are all aware of these crimes because read this forum, I suspect we are more likely to be badly injured in a road accident than we are mugged for a watch outside of the obvious risk areas mentioned above.

Master
    And more rural places besides. There was a news feature a year or so ago. Gent from Herefordshire flies into Heathrow and is met by his pre-booked taxi. He was wearing a high-end watch. Driver stops for a break on journey, gives address of client to gang, they then lie in wait at chap's home and Rob him on his arrival home of watch and other valuables. Sometimes there is little you can do...

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Unfortunately you give it freely
    Haha, brilliant!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    By being in a decent area does reduce the risk, unless you have predetermined some strange meaning for 'decent'. Just as different postcodes will affect house, car insurance ......... all down to 'risk'

Sure it can happen anyplace, anytime - but in different areas the chances can be at extremes. I mean - you could say the same for earthquakes, but I'm fairly sure that UK is in one of the safer areas.
    A wealthy student from the Middle East was stabbed and murdered right next to Harrods for his PP.. I would have thought Knightsbridge would be v safe. also Mike Woods was robbed v near to Selfridges for his AP..

i have wondered recently what is the point of going through all the AD bs to get these watches, must have 'ok spend' etc , if when you finally get the piece you're after, you can then only wear it in your own house..

Master
    I didn’t wear my Sub LV for two years after an attempted mugging for it in Nice. To be fair, I was drunk and out at 2AM, so I wasn’t really helping myself.

Then I started wearing it again on a NATO as I thought it would slip under the radar a bit better but I still felt a bit uncomfortable. Now I’ve opted for a Tudor BB58 as my daily and I think it’s a good compromise - nice watch, but not attention grabbing or particularly desirable, especially on a NATO.

I’d be a lot more comfortable wearing my Rolexes if I was confident the insurance company wouldn’t try and wriggle out of any payment! I just don’t trust them. But it’s definitely a case of taking sensible precautions and I wouldn’t dream of wearing a Rolex in a major U.K. city (or European, for that matter.)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I've taken the decision to buy a Ming at RRP on their next release, as my outside wearable beater. I'll just need to remember to take my phone so I know the time.

As for the story, disappointing times - but, a first world problem if ever there was one.

but then you would be stepping out with 200k strapped to your wrist !

Quote Originally Posted by simonj View Post
    I wouldn’t dream of wearing a Rolex in a major U.K. city (or European, for that matter.)
    Lol. It ain’t that bad.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Obviously don't be stupid, but in general insure it, wear it, if someone threatens violence for it give it up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Obviously don't be stupid, but in general insure it, wear it, if someone threatens violence for it give it up.
    That is my view...i have worn mine in which ever country i have visited including some dodgy capital cities and never had an issue.

If someone threatens me for it they can have it although a few years back i would have probably fought them for it.

The only difference now is if it does get stolen by violence or threats of violence i would never buy another.

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post

I don’t think the Expedition version looks too much like a Rolex. Agree the standard Everest wouldn’t be the best choice.
    Fair point, I misread the model you were going for.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    The situation is a shame, but people get robbed for lots of things - phone, wallet, bag, car, other watch brands, jewellery etc. Seems 'Rolex' in the title helps to generate views.

Sorry but I don't buy that story. It seems a great excuse to sell an expensive watch that was both gifted and recognisable thanks to the engravings. And some publicity to boot from the story which openly promotes the auction - nope, horse manure alert!
    i was thinking this exact thing, it was an excuse to sell that watch for a large sum and the story was to drive interest and demand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Or

3. Man wearing a Rolex gets hit by a car driving mugger when walking down a busy street?
    or

4. Man wearing a Rolex driving a car hits a mugger who’s running across busy street?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Can’t say I have worried about wearing any of my watches anywhere in the world that I have travelled. But generally I am a boring long sleeved wearing individual.

That’s includes some very interesting parts of the world maybe under the influence of alcohol I have had one interesting instance under gun point; they were after our wallets, my watch was worth more. That was dealt with swiftly with good old school stupidity. We then retired to our hotel swimming pool for food and alcohol and thank god that we were alive

5 Rolex Robberies: The Dark Side of Luxury Watches
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gpP6BV5cI6o

Master
    Everyone has a tale to tell about everything and in the overall scheme of things the chances of being robbed of a Rolex must be low.

I have worn a Rolex every day without fail since January 2014 and I travel more than most people and yet have never had a problem. I am the muggers ideal target being on the wrong side of 70 and yet I hardly even consider the chances of it happening to me.

If it really worries you, best to sell it, no watch is worth anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have worn a Rolex every day without fail since January 2014 and I travel more than most people and yet have never had a problem. I am the muggers ideal target being on the wrong side of 70 and yet I hardly even consider the chances of it happening to me.
    Perhaps they look you up and down and assume it’s a fake.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I went into London last week and purposely chose to wear a vintage seiko.

The fact im usually a little worse for wear come midnight the walk back to the hotel could potentially prove interesting, especially when you are as well dressed as I am (probably look like I’m wearing an expensive watch) they would be very disappointed. .
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Everyone has a tale to tell about everything and in the overall scheme of things the chances of being robbed of a Rolex must be low.

On the south coast there is apparently quite a few seniors getting robbed of their Rolexes, local news said the description is a couple of Eastern European women posing as a charity with a clipboard, they get you chatting, get in close and probably a bit flirty, before you know it they have slipped it off your wrist without knowing.

Sounds like you would be an ideal charity case for them Mick..

Craftsman
    Im pretty much done with mine.
    Its taken me ages to get the ones i wanted but all the drama around Rolex be it waiting lists, prices or theft has got me to the point of wanting to sell off mine.

Its taken the enjoyment out of owning them.

S

Master
    P Thorpe ran a video last night ref a couple being mugged, thankfully unsuccessfully, in Mayfair at 0200. He said that thieves pay staff in bars, restaurants etc to text or WhatsApp the target's description & time of departure so that they can intercept them.
    I will only wear my Cameron in London if I'm going to the office & straight home as that journey is completely undercover and covered by CCTV from station to office.
    Mostly I wear my El Primero or a Seiko if I'm going into the centre of London.
    The Zenith on leather doesn't seem to attract attention like a Rolex on a bracelet. A bracelet seems to be shorthand for expensive watch in a way that leather or rubber straps do not.

Master

Hold the press!!! I think you are recommending the OP to sell his Rolex Mick?? A momentous day indeed

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    Im pretty much done with mine.
    Its taken me ages to get the ones i wanted but all the drama around Rolex be it waiting lists, prices or theft has got me to the point of wanting to sell off mine.

Its taken the enjoyment out of owning them.
    Sadly, that about sums it up!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    I went into London last week and purposely chose to wear a vintage seiko.

The fact im usually a little worse for wear come midnight the walk back to the hotel could potentially prove interesting, especially when you are as well dressed as I am (probably look like I’m wearing an expensive watch) they would be very disappointed. .
    You see, this is why I have a ‘drinking’ watch - Tudor BB58! Doesn’t attract attention, still an interesting watch and not horrifically expensive or difficult to replace if the worst happens.

Wearing expensive anything - coat, clothes, shoes, watches - when out on the lash is a recipe for disaster wherever you are (and always has been).