closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sicura watches - Pre Breitling....

Journeyman

Sicura watches - Pre Breitling....

I have my eye on a couple of nice Sicura watches on Ebay. These are early 1970 divers on non original straps. I quite like the robust but used look of these.

Is the Sicura brand trusted and reputable? I was told that it was bought out by Breitling in the quartz crisis.

Just wondering if this is worth an investment?

Grand Master
    Be very careful!

Sicura made some very cheap pin- pallet dive- style watches in the 60s, I had the dubious privilege of fixing a water- damaged example that held great sentimental value to the owner and I have to say it’s one if the nastiest watches I’ve ever handled.

I don’t know if they nade better quality watches but they certainly made some crap.

Master
    ^^^^

Wot he said .......... be careful - I had a "submarine" and I loved it but swapped it for a selectron computer watch which was more reliable at the time.

B

I was told that it was bought out by Breitling in the quartz crisis.

Other way around wasn't it? Breitling sold their designs and inventory to o&w and sinn while the name was picked up by sicura.

Here be dragons.
    The "Sicura-Breitling" thing is one of the great examples of the internet making up it's own history; there's really no such thing.
    Sicura made, in the main, cheap (but often very handsome) watches when they bought the Breitling name and some patents etc. For a very, very brief period they did make a few quartz co-branded watches, but very quickly realised this was a way to damage the Breitling name, in which there was a lot more money to be made, and binned Sicura in favour of concentrating on the more prestigious and profitable Breitling (which they made what it is today, really).
    Some years ago various people spotted this and suddenly bargain basement Sicura watches on eBay started being called "Sicura-Breitling" and were bought by folk for far more than they were worth. Now it's a "thing" and I would think 50% of Sicuras are advertised using the Breitling name. There's nothing to link them at all except that Company One owned the brand of Company Two.
    I think the sad thing about this is it's driven up the prices of very handsome and often (in design terms) interesting Sicuras way above what they should be. I think they're fun and should be a great cheapo punt. Still to be found at sensible prices of course but as another member said in this thread buyer-beware as they're often very cheaply made. I think early three figures for a Navy in good nick, for example, is a good place to be, but I would avoid anything which needs work (it'll cost vastly more than the watch is worth). Upside, there's millions of them so with a bit of patience and not shopping on ebay you should be able to find a reasonably solid example reasonably cheaply still.

IME Sicura are thinly chrome plated cases which brass up pretty easily with horrible cheap EB pin pallets inside.

Some can look OK in a huge '70's kind of way but that's about it IMO.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Yes, Sicura made some nice looking but budget watches and then bought out some of the Breitling assets.

Don't pay much for the Breitling connection because there isn't one with Sicura branded watches.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Must say I do like the look of quite a few Sicura models, large and 70s garish designs, but I just wouldn’t pay much for one and I’m not a fan of chrome plated cased watches.

I had Sicura chrono that looked like a Seiko Pogue. I bought it as a fixer-upper. When my tame horologist suppressed his gag response, he told me that the old EB pin pallet movement was so shockingly bad that even a full rebuild with NOS parts wouldn't result in a decent movement.

It was a shame as the case and dial were lovely and a bit of a novelty due to the Pogue looks.

(Not mine but similar)

This is my Sicura.

It certainly didn't cost me Breitling money!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I seem to remember Sicura watches as being a brand that was being touted as waterproof, shockproof etc by a variety of very hooky looking geezers from a market stall in a northern industrial town in the late 60’s.
    Yes I did want one but in mitigation I was a pre teen and I thought they looked the dogs.