closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ernest Jones staff scheme watches for sale

Ernest Jones staff scheme watches for sale

It was necessary for me to go to Swindon today (the horror...the horror). Noticed a lot of unusually high-end stuff in the window of Ernest Jones in the outlet centre (Breitling, TAG Heuer, Omega, Longines, Hamilton etc). More inside and they were all very, very discounted. Woman told me they were all pre-owned, but not by the public. They’re all watches that have been on the EJ staff scheme - bit like having a company car, they get them at cost for a year then they get sold on in their store. But lots of Ej stores have closed she said so all those come to the Swindon outlet shop.
    Some have boxes, some papers. Some both and some neither. They all come with a 2 year guarantee. Just thought I’d pass on in case useful to anyone.
    I recognise this means going to Swindon and thus even a 100% discount may not be enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swindon?

I spent a month there one night.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Swindon?

I spent a month there one night.

Any decent Tudors or Omegas?

Quote Originally Posted by noms2000 View Post
    Any decent Tudors or Omegas?
    I didn’t see any Tudor pieces (although I didn’t look very long, being very keen to get out of Swindon at the earliest opportunity) but there were plenty of Omegas.

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    I didn’t see any Tudor pieces (although I didn’t look very long, being very keen to get out of Swindon at the earliest opportunity) but there were plenty of Omegas.

Thanks.
    Not sure I'm really understanding the joke to do with Swindon, but if I'm passing through that way, I'll try and check it out.

Journeyman
    Thanks for sharing. There are some nice pieces in there for sure. I passed a few weekends ago and some nice IWC Porsche Design watches caught my eye.

You are not wrong about the horror of Swindon though - try venturing into the Town centre.....Arghhh.

We use to live in one of the surrounding villages of Swindon which are now slowly being swallowed up by the monster that is Swindon. This is because Swindon is the only part of Wiltshire that isn’t protected as an area of outstanding beauty. So whilst Swindon is a horror the surrounding areas are wonderful. Also to be fair Swindon Old town is quite nice but the horror of the ‘main’ town centre is an example of all that is wrong with modern town planning.

With Cirencester just 10 miles North and Marlborough about the same South why anyone would voluntarily go into Swindon town centre is beyond me!
    Last edited by paw3001; 4th August 2021 at 21:41.

Master
    Maybe to watch the mighty robins?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Any Speedmasters?

Master
    Blog Entries

Head to old town, you have a great family run watch AD in Deacons. Plus great coffee a few decent bars and good scoff, particularly Los Gatos.
    Last edited by Middo; 8th August 2021 at 19:04.

What sort of discounts are they doing for a second hand watch that was sold at cost a year ago?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    What sort of discounts are they doing for a second hand watch that was sold at cost a year ago?
    Large ones

Thanks for the heads up. See you in Campbells opticians!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    We use to live in one of the surrounding villages of Swindon which are now slowly being swallowed up by the monster that is Swindon. This is because Swindon is the only part of Wiltshire that isn’t protected as an area of outstanding beauty. So whilst Swindon is a horror the surrounding areas are wonderful. Also to be fair Swindon Old town is quite nice but the horror of the ‘main’ town centre is an example of all that is wrong with modern town planning.

With Cirencester just 10 miles North and Marlborough about the same South why anyone would voluntarily go into Swindon town centre is beyond me!
    I lived there for a year, and in Old Town. I don't know if it's the same, but there was almost a dividing line between the town and old town. Nice, decent bars and restaurants in Old Town and far more dodgy places in town. Could have changed a lot since I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by VoleBoy View Post
    I lived there for a year, and in Old Town. I don't know if it's the same, but there was almost a dividing line between the town and old town. Nice, decent bars and restaurants in Old Town and far more dodgy places in town. Could have changed a lot since I was there.
    No that is still the same!

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post

Looks a bit upmarket to be honest!

Master
    Well, the outlet village isnt in Swindon central (if we’re talking about the same place), so no jeopardy there. I would make a special trip to Old Town for either Deacons or the excellent running shop (although finding space in that tiny car park can be stressful).

Other than that, I don’t remember Swindon town centre being any worse than any others in England. They’re all pretty grim.

Almost tempted to take a drive over there...almost

Master
    Since I own a business in Swindon town centre I ought to talk it up a bit.
    It's not that bad and has most of the major high st stuff. Yes it's been hit hard by the last couple of years but show me a provincial centre that hasn't. It suffers by having the outlet close by yet not quite close enough and being close to two major tourist centres of Bath and Oxford. Having Honda close hasn't helped either. It's got it's nice bits and not so nice bits but again not unique in that.
    I wouldn't discount it completely and it does have an excellent opticians (or so I'm told occasionally).

Journeyman
    +1 for the superb opticians @DavidL.

I ventured to the Outlet Village today to look at the Ernest Jones shop.
    A fair selection of: Omega, (No speedys), Rado, Longines and a few Breitlings.
    Prices were well out of my league and I whilst I am no expert, they seemed on the high side for used and some without papers or boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_Singh View Post

Prices were well out of my league and I whilst I am no expert, they seemed on the high side for used and some without papers or boxes.
    Strange that staff don't appreciate the importance of B&Ps.

Sounds like they are taking the you know what to be honest. Sell a watch at cost to their staff (never mind the “not to the public” they are EJ staff not astronauts or Delta special forces) let them knock them around for a year then try and flog them to the public.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Sounds like they are taking the you know what to be honest. Sell a watch at cost to their staff (never mind the “not to the public” they are EJ staff not astronauts or Delta special forces) let them knock them around for a year then try and flog them to the public.
    Or let them have them at cost, let them play with them for a year. But it back from them at market rate essentially providing a small bonus for them.
    Would this be a very idealistic way of looking at things?

Ernest Jones staff scheme is 40% off one transaction per year if you have worked there for a year.

40% off once per year when they're regularly giving 20-30% off in store to close deals on the spot isn't much of a staff discount.

That's good to hear, thanks.
    You've saved me a trip to Swindon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    40% off once per year when they're regularly giving 20-30% off in store to close deals on the spot isn't much of a staff discount.
    Works out quite nicely If the watch was already discounted by 20-30% in the sale though…. eg - the Omega FOIS that was 3k at Christmas reduced from 4K. Quite a nice profit to be be made simply by flipping it. Nice little Christmas bonus. I suspect TZ has a few staff members on here.
    Not on SC of course as all the greedy, crybaby keyboard warriors would come out of the woodwork and demand that they should get the discount passed onto them as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Works out quite nicely If the watch was already discounted by 20-30% in the sale though…. eg - the Omega FOIS that was 3k at Christmas reduced from 4K.
    If they're allowed to double dip then that's a good discount scheme.

A long time ago I used to date a girl that worked for Beaverbrooks. If I remember correctly she was allowed a watch at cost every 1 or 2 years with the amount taken out her salary monthly interest free, I guess there was also the option to pay it out right should you wish.

I imagine all the big chains do something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    A long time ago I used to date a girl that worked for Beaverbrooks. If I remember correctly she was allowed a watch at cost every 1 or 2 years with the amount taken out her salary monthly interest free, I guess there was also the option to pay it out rightshould you wish.

I imagine all the big chains do something similar.
    Agree - think it’s standard across most of the High St jewellers. Forgot to say, I’m pretty sure 40% off is also equivalent to cost price of the AD. I’m sure someone on here who knew about AD margins told me that.

I'm sure there's also an Ernest Jones at Gunwharf Quays not far from me, I may pop in next week and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    I'm sure there's also an Ernest Jones at Gunwharf Quays not far from me, I may pop in next week and report back.
    Went there a few weeks ago. A good selection of pre-owned Omega's in the window inlcluding a Globemaster, Railmaster and titanium Seamaster 300 Co-axial. If these were originally bought at 40% off staff discount, they definitely were more than that in the window.

Craftsman
    Ernest John discount scheme is 30% up to £9000 a year for the employee and friends and family then 40% once a year.
    Just got a lovely Tudor BB blue 40%

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandandanman View Post
    Ernest John discount scheme is 30% up to £9000 a year for the employee and friends and family then 40% once a year.
    And now those of us in Berkshire in towns with an EJ (like Reading where I am) are wondering whether you do preferential discounting for fellow forum members :D

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eciton View Post
    And now those of us in Berkshire in towns with an EJ (like Reading where I am) are wondering whether you do preferential discounting for fellow forum members :D
    God loves a trier!

That's pretty much free money on a BB, nice one.

I tried on a BB58 for the first time in ages today at CH in Kingston. It really is a perfect 'every day' watch. Really like the blue one, but left me in a conundrum as I would struggle to justify having both the 58 and the regular BB... Wish they'd just make a GMT version, I could justify that!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    God loves a trier!
    My mum's Yorkshire born and bred — from Wakefield as it happens! — and she always said "if you don't ask, you don't get" :)

She also said 'ye don't get owt for nowt', but that's by the by! :P

Craftsman
    Am only commenting as the members of staff has how left the company.

Grand Master
    My mum's Yorkshire born and bred — from Wakefield as it happens! — and she always said "if you don't ask, you don't get" :)

Your mum talks sense! Sadly Wakefield isn’t the place it once was.

Did she tell you a Yorkshiremans advice to his son .

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quoting before it’s deleted.

See H&V for details…