closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What to do with cowboy carpet fitter?

Master

What to do with cowboy carpet fitter?

We're renovating our house having new carpets throughout. Went to some local carpet shops and agreed a deal. Fitted half the house with carpets as construction allowed (albeit with sparse communication, the fitters pretty much turned up unannounced) but since then we have tried to contact the owner daily - from my phone, my work phone, my wifes phone, my email, wifes email, text, whatsapp etc etc. Probably made 50+ calls over the past month or so with no answer. Left countless messages and send tens of emails.

We had a text a few weeks ago on the day he eventually committed to, to fit the last of the carpets with some poor excuse that his store room had flooded (about a week after some bad weather) and then nothing until yesterday - an email explaining he was in hospital with 'personal health issues'.

When we had the initial consultation, he told us he knew people on our street and by pure chance I asked one of our neighbours earlier today if they happened to know the guy and yes, they did! I explained the situation and she didn't seem surprised. She came back half an hour later and showed me some posts on social media showing the guy on holiday in Devon - this was when he was supposedly in hospital.

We paid approx 80% upfront and we are still waiting on the remaining carpets.

What can I do?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    What can I do?
    Did you pay by credit card?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/re...our-purchases/

Cowboy

The thing is,
    With 80% of your full payment money, he has no incentive to come back and sounds like he's enjoying his holiday on you.
    I would write once more to him explaining that if he does not commit to a date to finish what he contractually entered into and does so, you will have no alternative but to raise a small claims against him for loss of monies incurred due to waiting in, lost work time etc and see if that gives him a little more incentive.
    The important thing though is if you do this, you must follow through and do as you say.

Good luck and hope you get some resolution.

Andy

Master
    Have you called in person to the shop? Forget emailing, arrive and sort it out face to face.

Just for balance, I had carpets fitted about 3 months ago and I can’t get the guy to send me the bill!!

Whatever happens in this case, it’s a lesson learned; to never give your business to anyone who requires any upfront payment.

Most reputable tradesmen will only take payments for work completed, whether that be part payments on a big job or full payment at the end.

Master
    We didn't pay by credit card, unfortunately.

We've been to the shop a few times, it seems to be closed but our visit was by appointment only.

Have thought about starting a small claims procedure but I worry he just wouldn't respond!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    We didn't pay by credit card, unfortunately.

We've been to the shop a few times, it seems to be closed but our visit was by appointment only.

Have thought about starting a small claims procedure but I worry he just wouldn't respond!
    Get a mate to make another appointment ;-)

Blog Entries
    Never pay more than a deposit up front. 'Tradesmen' (and I use the term loosely, having experienced many over the years) tend to lose interest once they're paid. Of course some are absolute diamonds, but like diamonds they're not as common.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Go find him and give him a kicking with the boys

I only use tradesmen from recommendation and (as above) I've never been asked to pay in advance (nor would I). Your chap sounds like a complete a-hole. I'd be chasing him down (if you can be bothered) and making him pay (or finish the job as promised).

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Go find him and give him a kicking with the boys
    😂