closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gooseberries

Gooseberries

I found this story to be rather comforting; an old fashioned tale of Englishmen doing simple, old fashioned things.

Yorkshire gooseberry competition returns with 85-year-old taking top prize

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I found this story to be rather comforting; an old fashioned tale of Englishmen doing simple, old fashioned things.

Yorkshire gooseberry competition returns with 85-year-old taking top prize

The winning gooseberries do look massive!
    here is the winner with his wife and prize winning goosegobs;

I have never liked them myself..

Aye a heartwarming tale. Lovely use of 'shenanigans' to describe what goes on in them there Leek competitions, murky business.

they make a great sparkling wine aswell as an alternative to rhubarb in a crumble - dont see them as often these days.

I've felt like a gooseberry many times.

Sorry, but the best gooseberries were the ones my granny used to grow and turn into jam, not those soft, southern, namby-pamby berries from Yorkshire.

Of course they are delicious and excellent in a crumble. The only thing I see with gooseberries in them these days, is gooseberry fool. The perfect dessert for AΩ ;)

We have only one bush in the garden and this year we had a bumper crop of 3.5kg. Very pleased as very few things beats a Gooseberry Crumble with Custard.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

My mum used to make homemade Gooseberry ice cream and Gooseberry fool; to this day I cannot think of a pudding I would rather eat. Plus Jam and as a fresh fruit. So tasty, sadly barely seen in supermarkets these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    We have only one bush in the garden and this year we had a bumper crop of 3.5kg. Very pleased as very few things beats a Gooseberry Crumble with Custard.
    How big is that bush, might get one myself?

As a child used to go to pyo farms with parents, also for black/red currants. Not so easy to find nowadays - just small, expensive punnets in supermarkets.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I'm envious as I love gooseberries. I have a small bush at the end of the garden and this year we had a less than bumper crop of one whole gooseberry.

We have a gooseberry bush, and one year they were just gone. My mate diagnosed pigeons, so the next year we netted it up. every year since in late June a pigeon arrives in the garden and takes up residence. When we've picked them we leave him a few and after he's stripped them he disappears till next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I'm envious as I love gooseberries. I have a small bush at the end of the garden and this year we had a less than bumper crop of one whole gooseberry.
    The secret (according to the wife) was to actually net them this year to prevent the birds getting to them. Who would have thought.

Thr bush has been in for about 5 years, so hopefully your time will come as well.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I had a gooseberry bush in a previous house. I used to get enough fruit to make one crumble. Totally worth it though.