closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Black Bay 58 - lume pip and surround fallen out

Apprentice

Black Bay 58 - lume pip and surround fallen out

Hi all,

Took my BB 58 back to the AD today for a warranty repair as the other day I put on the watch and noticed lume pip and the surround had fallen out completely.

It’s had daily wear since Feb 02 but mainly home working and general daily stuff - wear my G Shock for exercise!, gardening and DIY.

Thought you all might be interested to see what A) A BB58 looks like after 18 months of wear (many a scratch on bracelet in particular) and B) what the actual bezel looked like when I found it had fallen out.

AD had a good look at it (I think looking to see if there were signs of impact/abuse) and agreed to send it off to service centre in London and she quoted me 4-6 weeks for repair and return. I don’t think I should be putting my hand in my pocket for this as it is in warranty and there are a number of people saying lume pip surround has moved around - mines did look fine however.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apprentice

Apprentice

Apprentice

Apprentice

Apprentice

Apprentice

Apprentice

Apprentice

Interesting not heard of the lume pip falling out before in this. But it is raised so guess could easily be knocked.

Had mine since July 19 and pretty much a daily also. Mine shows plenty of marks bracelet, case etc.

Back to RSC one as was losing time out of COSC. Roughly 2-3 wk turn around.

Good luck with the fix and hopefully covered under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Sorry but that watch looks like its treated pretty badly and looks in a poor state. I've got watches that are much older and in much better shape.

I'd be surprised if Tudor did that as a warranty repair, they'd be fair to assume you've knocked it going by the state of the watch.

Grand Master
    If there’s no clear evidence of impact the OP should get the benefit of the doubt and it should be fixed under warranty, but its clear from the pictures that this watch is extensively scratched given its age and that’s an indication that it’s leading a busy life.

The pip hasn’t fallen out voluntarily, my guess is that its had a whack.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mines been well worn but doesn’t look like yours. Maybe the photos make it look worse than it is.

Annoying about the pip, I’d be expecting that to be fixed under warranty.
    Last edited by Montello; 28th August 2021 at 23:04.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s had a life, hasn’t it!

One thing to mention, if it’s going back as a warranty job, they’ll likely just replace the pip.
    If you’re paying, I’d assume it’ll have a service so will be polished. If you’d rather keep it as it is, I’d make your wishes clear to the AD.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    Sorry but that watch looks like its treated pretty badly and looks in a poor state. I've got watches that are much older and in much better shape.

I'd be surprised if Tudor did that as a warranty repair, they'd be fair to assume you've knocked it going by the state of the watch.
    Yeah I used a macro lens under strong natural light, which showed up way more surface marks than the naked eye picks up. It does get worn, at a desk and around the house, but it is not “treated pretty badly”. Never dived with it or even took it swimming. It’s a tool watch.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    That’s had a life, hasn’t it!

One thing to mention, if it’s going back as a warranty job, they’ll likely just replace the pip.
    If you’re paying, I’d assume it’ll have a service so will be polished. If you’d rather keep it as it is, I’d make your wishes clear to the AD.
    Yeah I do wear it, but I don’t baby it. I’m not paying as yet - she sent it back as a warranty repair, need to see what they say.

The AD will send off as warranty but Rolex will probably ask for money, can't be that much so not the biggest issue. No need for a service just yet, despite it being worn daily inside a washing machine.

It does look like it it got mixed up in Stevie Wonders toolbox

Good to see a watch so well used. I'm interested to see what they say.

Surprised at some of the comments here. Nothing wrong with using the watch as intended, no doubt the lighting makes everything stand out more than the eye would normally see anyway.

There's zero damage there I can see, surface marks only. It's a tool watch, the bezel pip should absolutely be a free warranty repair when there's zero signs of impact damage (in the pics anyway). It's no big deal, just a bit of glue broke free or something. If they start asking for money I'd stand your ground on it, but I doubt they will.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Surprised at some of the comments here. Nothing wrong with using the watch as intended,
    How exactly was it intended to be used?
    Always amused when I see- used as intended:-)

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    How exactly was it intended to be used?
    Always amused when I see- used as intended:-)
    Worn daily and without impacting your normal activities?

Nothing wrong with avoiding surface scratches, but there's also nothing wrong with getting them either. Is there anything on this watch that won't come back looking like new after a service?

Master
    I had a cracked pip on my 116610 which was changed by RSC when I had it serviced. It was about £19 from memory.
    The watch was worn all day every day for 2 years until I joined here and it all went south and then it was worn in rotation. I do wear my watches carefully but likewise had no recollection of knocking it, nor was there any evidence of an impact.
    I would hope that even if they do charge you, it shouldn't be too expensive.

Master
    Good to see a tool watch being worn and developing a gentle patina, it's not damage, everything would disappear with a light polish

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Good to see a tool watch being worn and developing a gentle patina, it's not damage, everything would disappear with a light polish
    Agreed, I also found in the short time I owned my first BB58 it marked a lot more that any other watch I have owned and I am not hard on my watches at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    One man’s patina is another man’s damage.

I’ve never really understood the definition of a ‘tool watch’ tbh. It might have applied to a water resistant steel watch with a selection of brushed and polished surfaces and an automatic movement costing a couple of weeks wages in the 1950’s (with a watchmaker on every street corner to fix it) but I’m really not sure it applies to what in 2021 is an expensive niche product. I’d call a quartz £100 g shock a tool watch, the BB58 is more of a daily wearer - but personally I’d take a bit more care of it as they’re clearly not really up to bashing about as you have without bits dropping off. Of course it all depends on things like income too - I’m sure Jeff Bezos can wear a platinum Daytona and call it a tool watch, once it gets a ding he can just bin it and buy another. But if I was Tudor I’d take one look at the watch and assume it had received a whack. No offence to the OP I’m just referring to the tool watch reference in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Hi OP. This happened to me within a month of ownership of my BB58. Mine was in mint condition and Tudor / Rolex solved it under warranty. It was away for 3 months but lockdown was the main cause of the delay. I have had three black bays - all have had quality issues requiring warranty repair.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app