closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New PC time

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Oh no, just when I thought the 24" would suffice.
    I thought the 24" imac only came out this year in it's current spec/form.
    People have said about overkill/cost etc but looking around at windows PC's you can quite easily pay similar money, if not more, for what looks like a similar spec set up.
    Anyone had any good/bad experience with printers and apple computers, or basically do they just do what they're supposed to.

Sent from my SM-T590 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Anything you buy now will just work, if it’s a concern just have a quit google for the printer and Mac issues to put your mind at rest.

Printers are no issue. Even on my Android phone I can print fine over WiFi. I don't own a printer, but use my mum's and my in-laws if I need one. By phone and laptop wirelessly, never any issues.

Master
    I suppose now it comes down to spec, 256/512GB.
    And of course colour, and if I need the bigger keyboard for my sausage fingers, lol.

Master
    Personally I'd go with a laptop, but, add a 'docking station' that allows you to easily connect monitors, keyboards, hard drives etc.
    This gives you the ability to take the laptop with you if you need to - on holiday to back up / edit pictures for example, but gives you the ability to sit at a desk with a good monitor and keyboard for more serious stuff.

This is essentially the setup I've used for work for 10+ years and find it works well - I'd also recommend Dell's XPS range if you need some oomph - but I did replace my laptop around 4 years ago now so don;t know what the latest ones are like.

Also bear in mind that the 'global chip shortage' is pushing the price of all PC's up quite a bit so if you can wait I would do so.

Master
    I suppose now it comes down to spec, 256/512GB.
    And of course colour, and if I need the bigger keyboard for my sausage fingers, lol.

They are really questions only you can answer.

How much data do you have today, how quickly does it grow, how comfortable are you with holding some data in a archive drive (usb/nas)?

The keyboard is a no brainier for me at £30

Colours, just choose something to match your eyes dear… ;-)

I have a desktop PC and a MacBook Pro. They both feed into my monitor along with keyboard and mouse so I can swap between them at will with a built in KVM switch.

Most of my work is done in the browser, so unless its tricky Excel I can use either computer at the touch of a button. The MBP is 2 months old and the desktop is a 5 year old high end gaming machine.

I got the Mac to try it out, caught up in the M1 hype. The truth is that it is on no way noticeably faster than the PC, offers no better usability, the screen is no better than my Surface Book. They only thing it has that I like is Garage Band. Oh, and the finger scanning on button, that's good too.

The webcam is crap so you have to get an external one, which means also buying a dongle. You'll need a dongle that can do power pass through and 4k out, and they aren't cheap. When you look at the fully loaded cost to get productive (and DSE compliant) with a Mac you can generally get a pretty high end PC. Most people when they talk about their £1200 Mac being better than Windows are comparing it against a £400 corporate bloatware PC that shouldn't even exist.

I firmly believe that people are more productive and motivated on the IT kit they like, therefore carry on with whatever you like. For me, the important thing is the apps I use. Outside the browser, these are for Windows, so that's where I spend most of my time.

Master
    I did read about the global chip shortage, along with many other shortages, but this could last years, so I suppose it's just a matter of biting the bullet and paying, there's no guarantee that prices would come down when stock is readily available.

Master
    Buying new PCs is generally a mugs game. For general use something like this is all the PC you need:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255070457...sAAOSwTZVhAxsc

£290 for an i5 8550 with 8GB RAM (a bit low) an 256 GB SSD & 1TB HDD. It has an 8th gen processor so you can upgrade to Windows 11 if you wish & Small Form Factor case that is fantatsic to work on if you need to get into it.

I have an nine year old Optiplex 7010 with an i7 3770 & at the moment I have open Outlook, Excel, Firefox (2 windows) Chrome, Teams, AutoCad & Adobe PDF & it's perfectly happy. You don't need an M1 processor for most uses.

Save your money & buy a top quality screen - that's the thing you interact with most.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Buying new PCs is generally a mugs game. For general use something like this is all the PC you need:

£290 for an i5 8550 with 8GB RAM (a bit low) an 256 GB SSD & 1TB HDD. It has an 8th gen processor so you can upgrade to Windows 11 if you wish & Small Form Factor case that is fantatsic to work on if you need to get into it.

I have an nine year old Optiplex 7010 with an i7 3770 & at the moment I have open Outlook, Excel, Firefox (2 windows) Chrome, Teams, AutoCad & Adobe PDF & it's perfectly happy. You don't need an M1 processor for most uses.

Save your money & buy a top quality screen - that's the thing you interact with most.
    I pretty much agree with this. I have used the dell outlet for years and last week picked up a new Pc for my parents, 10th gen i5, 16gb ram , 256SSD + 1Tb SATA for £400 all in.

I did have to wait about a week on it popping up on the site. they dont seem to have too much just now but always worth a look:

https://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/...1UDeVtTZpGafEP

Master

Buying new watches is generally a mugs game. For general use something like this is all the watch you need:

https://www.casio.co.uk/f-91w-1xy

£9.99 for an battery powered quartz lcd.

I have an nine year old G-Shock and I’m perfectly happy. You don't need an Patrick Phillips for most uses.

Spend your money however you like.

Blog Entries
    Oh no, just when I thought the 24" would suffice.
    I thought the 24" imac only came out this year in it's current spec/form.
    People have said about overkill/cost etc but looking around at windows PC's you can quite easily pay similar money, if not more, for what looks like a similar spec set up.
    Anyone had any good/bad experience with printers and apple computers, or basically do they just do what they're supposed to.

WiFi printers. Just connect and go. Epson and Canon no problems. Apart from the Canon eating it's own print head but hardly the Mac's fault!

Looking at the iMac 24 I might have to upgrade next year!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries

Well you could get by with a Renault Clio....and shoes from ShoeZone.....and Bic Razors.....and a Timex watch....and buy all your clothes from Primark...and they'll be all you need. Enjoy.

Blog Entries
    Strangely enough while browsing the Apple site I came across this. Seems the 21.5 is still available.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-ma...imac/21.5-inch

Scroll down on here, underneath 'What you get in the box'

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/imac

Master
    Just ordered the 24" imac, now just the printer to order.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Strangely enough while browsing the Apple site I came across this. Seems the 21.5 is still available.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-ma...imac/21.5-inch

Scroll down on here, underneath 'What you get in the box'

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/imac

Blog Entries

Nice one I’m sure you’ll be happy with it. There’s plenty advice online if you struggle with the OS but I don’t think you will. Remember it’s just like windows but some things are in different places that’s all. Oh and fast.

Jealous AF.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    The Mac version (Numbers) is pants. I use Excel all day at work and only use it at home for a couple of tasks (domestic finances and for a charity I’m treasurer of). Not a power user. I don’t want to sign up for anything that requires a subscription and cloud storage.
    Numbers is it’s own app produced by Apple. Microsoft have a MacOS version of Excel which is essentially the same as the Windows version.

Blog Entries

How's it going with the Mac?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    How's it going with the Mac?
    It's going ok, I'm even getting on ok with the small keyboard, I thought with my sausage fingers that I would struggle but not so.
    It's a bit weird now walking into the study and not hearing the tower unit fans going.

Blog Entries
    It's going ok, I'm even getting on ok with the small keyboard, I thought with my sausage fingers that I would struggle but not so.
    It's a bit weird now walking into the study and not hearing the tower unit fans going.
    Does it seem faster than your previous computers, and what do you think of the screen resolution?

Master
    It does seem faster, but then again our old pc was about 10 years old.
    Screen definitely better.