closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 124270 Explorer Obtainable at retail?

Journeyman

124270 Explorer Obtainable at retail?

Hi all,

Has anyone recently picked up the newest iteration of the Explorer SS? the 36mm 124270. If so how long was the wait? I'm assuming this is still a obtainable model albeit with a decent waiting period.

I have an meeting with a Rolex AD soon regarding one so I just wanted to get an idea of what i would be in for. I should mention I don't have any prior purchase history.

I still have to laugh at these silly games we need to play for a Rollie

I know a couple of people who bought them at retail. They waited around four weeks

They are fairly easy to obtain from my experience.

It took me around 3 weeks from enquiring to receive one from the AD.

I just noticed you have no prior history with the AD, so guess your wait may be considerably longer. How long that wait is not one can answer apart from the AD, If I were guessing I would say at least 12 months currently.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 3rd August 2021 at 11:42.

Very easy, relative to other sports models.

It is my favourite watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Very easy, relative to other sports models.

It is my favourite watch.
    Pop up a wrist shot. Would be nice to see it on the Friday thread.

Craftsman
    If you have chrono24 account and add these on notepad, you will quickly see that these go for slightly less than 8k in euros. Over 8,5k and they take a long time to sell and less than 8k they go immediately. I’d say there room for the price come down.

The AD that I enquired at in Halifax said that they only got 1-2 watches per year for the previous model and never managed to get one for everyone on the list. Furthermore, they said that on the occasion that both the Explorer and Air King were in the window, both were already sold.

The only Rolex watches they consistently have in stock are ladies Datejusts. They gave me the impression it was very unlikely they'd be able to get me a watch. I've no purchase history with them.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Put my name down 2 months ago at a Goldsmiths I have purchase history with, and nothing yet.

I’ve waited 4 months or so, so far. I have bought a couple of watches from the group before but it’s been complete radio silence since I last dropped by. I’m wondering whether to forget it and move on.

Journeyman
    I thought id give another AD a call this afternoon to casually enquire - I was told its currently a 5 Year wait?? WTF

Quote Originally Posted by Ashman86 View Post
    I thought id give another AD a call this afternoon to casually enquire - I was told its currently a 5 Year wait?? WTF
    Shame on them. Lying w*****s!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Shame on them. Lying w*****s!
    That was before they offered me the two tone DJ 36 available now! :)

Blog Entries
    I think if you call them "Rollie", you will get laughed at.

Apparently I have £50K+ spent at W0S group (don't tell the wife) - but haven't heard a whisper since putting my name on "the list" as soon as they were announced.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I emailed my contact at an AD one hour after the watch was announced and apart from a return email nothing so far.
    I bought maybe 7 watches from him when he was assistant manager at a different chain of Rolex ADs.
    So enough cash spent but with the wrong chain! However, I did get 10% of any Rolex I bought from them at the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    The AD that I enquired at in Halifax said that they only got 1-2 watches per year for the previous model and never managed to get one for everyone on the list. Furthermore, they said that on the occasion that both the Explorer and Air King were in the window, both were already sold.

The only Rolex watches they consistently have in stock are ladies Datejusts. They gave me the impression it was very unlikely they'd be able to get me a watch. I've no purchase history with them.
    In the current climate, anyone with no history venturing into an AD some distance from where they live will, I’m afraid, be assumed not to be someone looking for a long term “relationship”. Willingness to drop £6,000 is not enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashman86 View Post
    That was before they offered me the two tone DJ 36 available now! :)
    Yep they want to sell what they have. They’re possibly giving you the heads up that you’ll need spend history, and that DJ is a good place to start.

I'm still waiting with my local AD. They only became a Rolex dealer 4 or 5 years ago so I haven't purchased a Rolex from them before, but I have bought a couple of Tudors and an Omega.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    In the current climate, anyone with no history venturing into an AD some distance from where they live will, I’m afraid, be assumed not to be someone looking for a long term “relationship”. Willingness to drop £6,000 is not enough!
    I've moved and now live locally to them but it didn't seem to be a factor.

Locations don't appear on my mobile app, I've just changed it but had to use the desktop site.

Last edited by AKM; 4th August 2021 at 21:08.

Master
    I've moved and now live locally to them but it didn't seem to be a factor.
    Ah, fair do’s.

I guess there is now no Rolex AD that couldn’t sell any Professional model to existing customers several times over.

FWIW, my modest purchase history gets me diddly squat at “my” AD these days so it’s not just you!

Craftsman
    i’ve also been told it’s hard to get as a first watch from an AD without any buying history.

Master

The only Rolex watches they consistently have in stock are ladies Datejusts

( ie if you buy one of these you may get on the slippery pole! )
    They gave me the impression it was very unlikely they'd be able to get me a watch. I've no purchase history with them.

There you go fixed it for you :)

Journeyman
    Looks like i’m saving a bit more and paying over retail then. What a sad time eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just picked mine up. After reading and replying to this thread a few days ago I decided to drop my AD an email if only to let them know I'm still interested since it had been a few months since I last spoke to any one there, the next day I got the call to say it had just come in with this months stock. Upon collection the sales rep told me it was the first one they've had and I see no reason not to believe that.

As someone with slimmer wrists I couldn't be happier. I had a pretty strong desire to try and track down a 36mm Railmaster but then Rolex announced this Explorer and my focus shifted.

I’ve been lucky this year! I got my DJ36 back in Feb/March time as my 2nd Rolex from a Manchester City Centre AD (first one was a BLNR from back in 2017!) and then picked up an Explorer today.

I updated my wish list perhaps 6 weeks ago to include an Explorer, when sending a watch off for a service. Then this past Sunday I noticed a voicemail on my phone in the evening (been away camping). I made sure to call back first thing Monday and the rest as they say is history. Clearly, I’m no big spender so the Explorers must be available otherwise I somehow just got lucky!?

Day 1 wrists shots…

Update to my post in early August - nothing happening yet!!

By coincidence, my son went into an independent AD at the weekend to enquire about the same watch and he was told to expect an 18 month wait.

Craftsman
    I went into an AD 4 weeks ago that I have no prior relationship with and they told me 6 years

Craftsman
    Funnily enough I put my name down with my friendly independent dealer a few weeks ago. I have some history with them but it's mainly Tudors not Rolex. They were very upfront and simply said that as I was a previous customer they would register my interest.

They said demand was high and they didn't have any stock and couldn't say when they would get more in, fairs fair I'm not the biggest spender.

I think in the current climate it may be a case of buying grey, registering and forgetting about it for a while or have a look at alternatives with an eye to trading if the call ever did come in.

Good luck with securing one in the future :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    Funnily enough I put my name down with my friendly independent dealer a few weeks ago. I have some history with them but it's mainly Tudors not Rolex. They were very upfront and simply said that as I was a previous customer they would register my interest.

They said demand was high and they didn't have any stock and couldn't say when they would get more in, fairs fair I'm not the biggest spender.

I think in the current climate it may be a case of buying grey, registering and forgetting about it for a while or have a look at alternatives with an eye to trading if the call ever did come in.

Good luck with securing one in the future :)
    I think your first suggestion about buying grey is sadly the best option if you're desperate for a particular watch.

I popped into my local AD today again to chat with them and it's the same old story repeated on here many times. Haven't had stock for weeks and weeks blah blah. They're pushing other brands hard too - in particular Grand Seiko! Telling me Instagram has gone mad for Grand Seiko and they're gonna be HUGE. I've always respected Grand Seiko and the people who adore them, and they're undeniably impressive watches, but they've just never quite made my heart sing...

Last edited by axb601; 28th October 2021 at 16:13.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by axb601 View Post
    They're pushing other brands hard too - in particular Grand Seiko! Telling me Instagram has gone mad for Grand Seiko and they're gonna be HUGE.
    Who cares what is huge on Instagram? This whole mindset of many is the crux of the issue ...

That said if Grand Seiko did a modest (38-40mm) diver I think I'd have one ...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Who cares what is huge on Instagram? This whole mindset of many is the crux of the issue ...

That said if Grand Seiko did a modest (38-40mm) diver I think I'd have one ...
    A lot people care about what’s huge on Instagram it seems…..

Master
    Blog Entries
    A lot people care about what’s huge on Instagram it seems…..
    Aye, that’s the problem.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I just thought this is one of the few Rolex Professional models not given a stupid nickname.

Craftsman
    I managed to try on a ND sub and a Batgirl from the 'exhibition' stock at the AD and had chat. mentioned I love the explorer 1 and they took my details!! They said it may take a year but Ill take that. Lets see what happens.... I was impressed just to get on a list!

Master
    I think your first suggestion about buying grey is sadly the best option if you're desperate for a particular watch.

I popped into my local AD today again to chat with them and it's the same old story repeated on here many times. Haven't had stock for weeks and weeks blah blah. They're pushing other brands hard too - in particular Grand Seiko! Telling me Instagram has gone mad for Grand Seiko and they're gonna be HUGE. I've always respected Grand Seiko and the people who adore them, and they're undeniably impressive watches, but they've just never quite made my heart sing...

I do have a tiny and I mean tiny respect for Rolex AD’s as they appear to consistently say “ they dont know what they will get” eg a delivery maybe 10 ladies 26mm datejusts and one SS sports.

Imagine running any other business like that, say you were a toy shop and had customer queuing for Playstations and your supplier sent you one Playstation and 88 Monoply boards.

Roll on the day when all Ad’s have gone, and you will buy direct from Rolex. Yes there will be criteria checks eg ability to pay and protection against multiple identities. Hopefully you will select a watch, agree a defined lead time, pay a deposit and then get on with life.