closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai 177G

Panerai 177G

Hello all

The watch that reignited my interest many years ago was a friend's Panerai something-or-other, which he kindly lent me. That was at least 15 years ago. I loved it and treated it with reverence. Roughly one billion watches later, I have never actually owned a Panerai, so...

Current object of interest is an old 2004-vintage 177G. I find the various Panerai editions endlessly confusing, but if I have this correct, it is one of 500 with the non-sandwich dial, 44mm titanium case, OP6572 Unitas-based movement, with "Panerai" graffiti all over it.

Trouble is, no box or other documentation. Seller is a local bricks and mortar dealer of long standing (since the 1920s) I've bought and sold from many times, no reason to distrust. But I know nothing about how to determine a genuine Panerai. Here's a movement pic from the seller:

[

Any views on that or general guidance on this era or model? I like the titanium, don't have a preference for sandwich or sausage dials, and the movement on this seems nicely done. But there are a lot to choose from!

The 177 G is a stunner. It was the first Panerai I bought in 2004. The years prior to the 177 the titanium Luminor Marina, the 61 and the 118 were very similar but that had a tobacco dial rather than a black dial, and the 61 had a solid case back rather than a sapphire back.

I now own a 61 because I prefer the solid case back and the tobacco dial, the PAM 36 is my ultimate Panerai Grail but the 61 is almost there.

IMO the sausage printed dial suits the case better than the sandwich dial of later renditions.

It all really is dependant upon price. More pics of the watch would help too.

This it my 61D for reference.

Last edited by paneristi372; 3rd August 2021 at 07:48.

Many thanks. Have more pics but I’m out at the moment, can post later. It’s in very good condition from the pictures, has a new Panerai rubber strap fitted, the buckle is correct. Just no B&P. I know it’s a length-of-string question, but what’s a reasonable (dealer) price for one of these, given the above?

Seller's pictures:

TT
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 3rd August 2021 at 16:25.

Great model ,how much they asking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this Panerai thing may be a rabbit hole I ought better avoid. I keep reading the phrase "...my first Panerai..." and it's ringing alarming bells!

I would do a search of the serial number, most fakes will use a well documented same one. Great looking watch. I had a 112 with the same movement with Geneva stripes and without the graffiti, quite a simple watch but that’s what appealed to me.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    I tried on a 177 belonging to a fellow Paneristi and I was very taken by it. If you have only one panerai then this could well be the one.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    It looks good to me. I really love the 44mm models from this era and have an early G series 005 myself. I have a personal preference for solid casebacks and this 005 is one of the few with the ‘long arrow’ dial, so a bit special.
    One word of caution though - no box or docs has a bigger impact on value with Panerai than many other brands, so do make sure it’s priced accordingly.

I went to the shop this morning and tried it on, and had a very good look at it. A few super minor scratches to the titanium case not visible unless peering closely under a jeweller’s light. I liked it, a lot.

But… didn’t buy. 17 years old, no paperwork nor service history. Might be getting myself into something. It was priced accordingly, but not for me this time. I appreciate the replies and info.

Its all down to the cost of the watch. A service on an ETA movement will be likely less than £300 from a reputable watchmaker. The movements in my ETA Panerai have always been bulletproof and have never had any issues with them. My 61D was serviced the year before last for £265 and I am almost certain that was the first service its had since 2001. There isn't a massive amount to go wrong with them. What is the price? If its around £3000 its probably worth it.

That’s useful re the service costs. At today’s exchange rate, the watch was about £2500

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    That’s useful re the service costs. At today’s exchange rate, the watch was about £2500
    Its definitely worth having for £2500 IMO. When I bought mine from Berry's Leeds in 2004 it was rrp £2400.

Master
    I would snap it up at 2.5k sterling

Master
    Titanium does mark easily and, on the simple shape of these cases, the marks do show. The fact that it is likely due a service wouldn’t put me off but the lack of box & docs would, as I know it may be difficult to sell again. Prices are not what they used to be and you may be able to pick up a complete set for not too much more. If you fancy a Panerai and are likely to wear it regularly don’t rule out a steel model.

Agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    Its definitely worth having for £2500 IMO.

Master
    Absolutely worth the asking of £2500. I got one earlier this year and love it. Was quite a bit more than this.

Not having second thoughts (yet...) but another question if I may. This one has the hand wind movement hence no screw down crown. I tried it and it works just fine. But does the crown guard lock thingy really ensure 300m WR? I noticed some newer Panerais with much lower WR, and was wondering if there had been a change?

Panerai 177G

Not having second thoughts (yet...) but another question if I may. This one has the hand wind movement hence no screw down crown. I tried it and it works just fine. But does the crown guard lock thingy really ensure 300m WR? I noticed some newer Panerais with much lower WR, and was wondering if there had been a change?
    The change in newer models is the lack of screw down case back

Master
    Yes.

The Panerai crown guard is in lieu of a screw down crown, only on the Radiomir is the crown screwdown.

AFAIK the difference between the earlier and later models, this 177 like mine being an earlier model, is that later models had a small roller ball installed into the lever mechanism to make it a little smoother. Happy for someone with more knowledge to jump in with info on this. However that makes no difference to the WR and the way the crown guard works / seals.

The ones today with lower water resistance is, i think, more to do with snap on backs, as opposed to screw on backs, than the guard.

Thank you. I must admit I am warming to it.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    The change in newer models is the lack of screw down case back...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    ...The ones today with lower water resistance is, i think, more to do with snap on backs, as opposed to screw on backs, than the guard.
    ...and a much thinner crystal.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    My 177

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Nev is correct. The later iterations of the crown guard have a small wheel on the end of the crown guard lever to prevent excessive wear on the crown and the lever, think it came into effect around 2006-07.

The main difference for the water resistance change is snap on case back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    My 177

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    Mmmmm proper Peroni

I must admit if it were in the UK at that price I’d have bought it myself. Although I suspect I’d have been in a pretty long queue! Go for it. Regret the things you’ve done, not those you didn’t do.

Thank you. I must admit I am warming to it.

Yes,I’d pay that ,you can’t lose

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    The 177 G is a stunner. It was the first Panerai I bought in 2004. The years prior to the 177 the titanium Luminor Marina, the 61 and the 118 were very similar but that had a tobacco dial rather than a black dial, and the 61 had a solid case back rather than a sapphire back.

I now own a 61 because I prefer the solid case back and the tobacco dial, the PAM 36 is my ultimate Panerai Grail but the 61 is almost there.

IMO the sausage printed dial suits the case better than the sandwich dial of later renditions.

It all really is dependant upon price. More pics of the watch would help too.

This it my 61D for reference.

The PAM061 is one of the watches I regret selling. It went to a forum member years ago - might even be this one???
    Last edited by TomGW; 5th August 2021 at 21:29.