closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Career change

Master
    Have you never just thought, “I’d like to do that”.
    We can all have opinions but it’s probably based on our own needs/requirements etc
    You’re the only one that knows what’s needed in your life.
    I could have easily gone on as I was for a number of years, but I knew it was affecting my health, and consequently would have affected my personal life, so it was a no brainier really.
    As said, it’s about what you want/need.

Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    How about hospital porter or care assistant? You would be perfect for the job.
    Might struggle to achieve the 30k p.a.

Good with words both written and spoken, presentable, clean driving licence, doesn't really want to give orders or take them, desires concrete measurable outcomes, potential to earn above average Midlands salary...Estate Agent...
    Last edited by Passenger; 3rd August 2021 at 10:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    My mate's dad went the other way. After years working as a lift engineer, and doing well out out of it, he jacked it all in to become a methodist reverend.

Perhaps you could become a lift engineer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    He should consider the ups and down first.
    Doors open & close all the time in that industry!
    ______

​Jim.

After years of using your communication skills to great effect showing care, compassion, consideration for others and empathy - you could abandon all of those skills and get a job at Goldsmiths in the Rolex department

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Probably.I know there is lots of overtime, week end working enhancements etc . I think He is going to have to be a bit more realistic about His salary expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    You could always try using the Govt app that was well publicised a while back

https://beta.nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/

With a 30 year career history in IT, defence, telecoms and project management, it took my interests, motivations and preferences and suggested that I ought to consider retraining as a carpet fitter or tiler.
    So I should be a office manager / primary school teacher, who makes dresses and trains race horses.
    I will hand in my notice to my current employer later today and demand I get given this role…

The Army / military Chaplin is a good shout.
    Lots of good to be done and help and comfort given there.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 3rd August 2021 at 10:31.

Probably.I know there is lots of overtime, week end working enhancements etc . I think He is going to have to be a bit more realistic about His salary expectations.
    Yup I think likewise, unless he makes a busmans holiday type move. Though he has transferable experience and skills whatever he goes to he'll be a newbie despite his years.
    Last edited by Passenger; 3rd August 2021 at 10:28.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Both jabs, been really careful, just shows it’s a sneaky one this virus, ( although my words could be stronger).
    Tried to ride it out at home but after a week and 3 ambulance visits my partner drove me to hospital.
    Very frightening when you literally cannot breathe, ended up on a cpap mask, ( basically they push air into your lungs to keep you breathing).
    Still on oxygen now but very low volume nose tubes.
    Just be careful out there, there’s some sick people in here still.
    And yes, there are also people who haven’t been jabbed in here
    my word that is scary very scary,I thought with the jabs you would only get mild symptons.

I am even more scared than I was after reading this.

Johnson has left myself and many others feeling we have lost our freedom and are more vulnerable,more than before.

"Back to normal" if I hear that one more time I will scream,there is no normal,life is what we have at the moment.

Thread meander,but this is more important,the more people see this then maybe more people will be careful.

I hope you get better soon,all the best to you.

Given your current profession, it may be that you are a purpose driven person.

That's certainly been the case for me in my career, and I really am only happy in organisations and roles that exist to make the world better.

Before you decide what you want to do, have a think if that's important for you.

Master
    I feel guilty about hijacking this thread, thought people would have heard enough about covid for me to start a new one.
    Happy to discuss if people want to, until you've been there you don't realise, and I don't just mean testing positive, that's totally different.
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    my word that is scary very scary,I thought with the jabs you would only get mild symptons.

I am even more scared than I was after reading this.

Johnson has left myself and many others feeling we have lost our freedom and are more vulnerable,more than before.

"Back to normal" if I hear that one more time I will scream,there is no normal,life is what we have at the moment.

Thread meander,but this is more important,the more people see this then maybe more people will be careful.

I hope you get better soon,all the best to you.
    Sent from my SM-T590 using TZ-UK mobile app

A work coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teacher at senior school or college

Bloody Iphone
    Last edited by adrianw; 3rd August 2021 at 12:41.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Teacher at senior school or collage
    Not really stress-free when you're starting in your 50s.

Armed forces chaplain crossed my mind, but here (NED) all military personnel is retired at 55. I forgot that civilian staff (chaplains etc) are not under that rule. That profession does a lot of good for people, no matter if you're religious or not.

Earlier this morning I spoke the lady I mentioned earlier (career switch to funerals at the age of 51). She's only doing the ceremonial part of the funeral. That includes short speeches etc. Before she was a civil servant, she was in performing arts: singing, acting. Due to the lack of jobs then, she switched to her desk job. She finds her job very rewarding after being a (high ranking) civil servant behind a desk for 14 yrs. And, her experience in the theatre is very useful. I guess that being a reverend helps a lot as well (NOT saying that reverends are actors!)

I think Rev can do what he wants within reason.

His posts here showcase his knowledge, humour and empathy.

If I had to recruit a TZ team, he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Age is not such a problem these days - you don't even have to put it on your CV.

It's just getting an interview.

I'm not an expert but my advice regarding a contact strategy would be to avoid email and social media initially and contact people via warmer channels such as phone and F2F.

I worked for a well-known company where I reported into an ex-vicar.

One of the best people I've ever worked with.

Believe in yourself OP.

Teacher at senior school or collage
    Collage like other handicrafts can be very relaxing, so I'm told.

A friend of mine used to run an origami business.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    A friend of mine used to run an origami business.
    I trust it was a success, didn't fold...

Love it.

I trust it was a success, didn't fold...

That really creased me up.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Stick at it till you reach 55, don’t fall into the ‘grass is greener’ trap.

This.
    Griz it.
    You’re in a cushy billet, even if disenchanted at the moment.
    The disenchantment will pass.

(And disappointed, once again, to see one or two of the faux-honour self-styled board-police ‘regulars’ here reveal their thoroughly nasty and spiteful keyboard-hero real selves.)
    Last edited by Brauner Hund; 3rd August 2021 at 12:47.

What about bus driver? Get to meet loads of people every day

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Brauner Hund View Post
    This.
    Griz it.
    One could argue that to an extent the OP is his own boss and has been for a long time, working for someone else or being part of a structured organisation might prove to be very difficult.

Maybe I've misread Rev's original post but isn't he saying he'll stick where he is until 55 when he can take his pension AND then make the change...

Master
    He says that's what he's thinking of doing, makes sense if you can wait, at least you can get a little financial safety net.
    But a lot can happen in 5 years.
    Maybe I've misread Rev's original post but isn't he saying he'll stick where he is until 55 when he can take his pension AND then make the change...

He says that's what he's thinking of doing, makes sense if you can wait, at least you can get a little financial safety net.
    But a lot can happen in 5 years.

True the world of work can change dramatically in 5 years. Wholeheartedly agree with the merits of even a modest financial safety net.

Master
    A mates wife is a vicar and has recently started to train as a mental health first aid instructor, something that her current career leads very well to.
    Do you currently have a house as part of your job? If so have you factored this in to the equation of how much money you need to live on.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Something stress free where you can walk away at the end of your shift with no worries.....what about a postman.
    I don't mind taking work home with me, even if it's just in my head. Stress-free is good but something with a bit a challenge or variety is also good.

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I would have thought that after years in the clergy, you must have dealt with people in the depths of despair, so how about counselling of some sort?
    I think I might want a break from the kind of pastoral care, dealing with people’s problems etc. I’m a bit burned out. “A heart that’s full up like a landfill”

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    sorry had to say it have you asked God?
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Have you asked the guy you work for?
    Kind of. Hoping He makes things clear. We’ll see.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I imagine that during the last 18 months or so you've been under far greater pressure than many of us would care to endure, and the appeal of something less stressful must be immense, now most jobs come with their own forms of stress you will need to decide "stress vs earnings", focus on the things that have always interested you, being outdoors, nature or whatever, often doing something you enjoy is a good "trade off" against earnings, perhaps you need to build a new future with your own rules, but be prepared for the ups and downs that go with that freedom.
    Good points. Thanks. Yes, the last 18 months have been very hard but I'm not alone in that and many have had it worse than I.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Idea #!: since you're used to communicate with people: a front desk-style of job is something that springs to mind. Not somewhere behind a desk at an office.

Idea #2: I do not know much about the UK's educational system (apart from 'Educating ...') but school counselor is a very satisfying job; even at an older age. In fact, I found it easier than when I was young.

Perhaps a strange idea/example: I know a nice lady who changed career at 51. She went from public service (city council job) to the funeral 'industry'. The ceremonial part of a funeral, not the practical side of undertaking. And she loves her job.

Wishing you luck and keep us posted!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    What about a wedding or funeral celebrant? A few years ago I had never heard of them but they seem to be an increasingly popular choice and would suit your skill set.
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Rev-O,
    I have acted as a celebrant at two funerals (at the request of the families involved) and according to the families it went very well, however with your background I'd think you'd have done a far better job than me.

I believe the going rate for a 'proper' celebrant rather exceeds the CofE rate for a minister...

Good luck with whatever you choose.

R
    Thanks. As a quick estimate I reckon I've done about 1,100 funerals. I wouldn't mind a break from them tbh, at least for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Forgive me if I come across as too personal or if I am completely off the mark (tell me to F off if you like) but I always thought serving God was a vocation? It’s something people were called to do.
    As such have you had a change of heart? If so that would be a big change in your life and I am not sure a change of job will resolve the issue. There maybe be other things to address first. I have never considered being a member of the clergy to be like a ‘normal job’ - it’s a special type of person that joins the church.
    Sorry if I have the complete wrong end of the stick. As I say feel free to tell me to F off.
    OK, fuck off.

No, seriously it’s a good point. I just feel tired. Bored, lonely, frustrated. I hope I’ll still be loving and serving God, just in a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I know it's not a massive change but Armed Forces chaplain? Well paid, maximum age to join 55 I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    The Army / military Chaplin is a good shout.
    Lots of good to be done and help and comfort given there.
    It’s something I’ve considered. But not, I think, different enough. Worth thinking about though.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Stick at it till you reach 55, don’t fall into the ‘grass is greener’ trap.
    Oh I have to do that anyway. Money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Have you ever considered a career in mental health, either in the NHS or a for charity like MIND?

With your social skills and lived experience I think you'd have a lot to offer.

One way to start would be by training as a Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner. The NHS is keen to recruit older people who are seeking a career change into these roles (rather than an endless queue of young Psychology graduates). Starting salary is about 25K and you can progress quite quickly into more senior roles. Training takes one year and you get paid a salary whilst training.
    I like that idea. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Is there any way you could, (and afford) reduce the days you work? That way you could potentially do two days of something you enjoy more. If it works out you could then take it up full time. If it doesn’t atleSt you still have an income.

Some kind of mentoring work may be fun if not well paid. What about qualifying as a counsellor?

Good luck
    Yes, that could be an option. Some clergy are “HfD” (house for duty) so they get the vicarage but no pay and do two days a week. (I could do, say, Sunday mornings and 1.5 or 3 x 0.5 days to make up the hours and give more flexiblity and coverage.)

If I did that then I’d only have to earn, say, £18k pa.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Speaking from personal experience, you'd make a really good museum guide and curator.
    I’d really like to do that. From curate to curator. Similar skillset, I imagine too.

I'm currently into my second week in hospital recovering from covid

[…]

Both jabs, been really careful, just shows it’s a sneaky one this virus, ( although my words could be stronger).

Tried to ride it out at home but after a week and 3 ambulance visits my partner drove me to hospital.
    Very frightening when you literally cannot breathe, ended up on a cpap mask, ( basically they push air into your lungs to keep you breathing).
    Still on oxygen now but very low volume nose tubes.
    Just be careful out there, there’s some sick people in here still.
    And yes, there are also people who haven’t been jabbed in here
    Glad you are on the mend. God bless you.

How about hospital porter or care assistant? You would be perfect for the job.
    With no disrespect to those essential and demanding jobs (in fact, with HUGE respect to those who do them) I’d need something more intellectually stimulating and satisfying. I know in movies the porter or caretaker reads T S Eliot in the basement (or can surprisingly discuss Russian novels and physics and the Talmud or whatever) but in real life, not so much. I hope that doesn’t sounds snobby.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Intelligent, educated, hard working, good social skills - especially with children... you sound like a potential teacher to me. Not a low stress occupation but very rewarding. Various routes in and bound to be opportunities in your geographical vicinity.
    I’ve really missed schools work these past 18 months. But I’m not sure I’d be any good as a teacher. In fact, to be honest, I know I wouldn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    What about bus driver? Get to meet loads of people every day
    Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    great background to work as an undertaker or as said above postman/bus driver type role. GL on your next chapter in life.
    Thanks. Could combine the two? Run ‘em over and drive ‘em to the crem?

Have you never just thought, “I’d like to do that”.
    We can all have opinions but it’s probably based on our own needs/requirements etc
    You’re the only one that knows what’s needed in your life.
    I could have easily gone on as I was for a number of years, but I knew it was affecting my health, and consequently would have affected my personal life, so it was a no brainier really.
    As said, it’s about what you want/need.
    I'd like to write. (I wrote a novel during lockdown. I'm quite pleased with it. So far eight rejections from agents. And these days journalists and "content providers" are doing it for free or a pittance all over the internet. Some of them are very good, too. It's back to the days of hobbyists and pamphleteers.)

Good with words both written and spoken, presentable, clean driving licence, doesn't really want to give orders or take them, desires concrete measurable outcomes, potential to earn above average Midlands salary...Estate Agent...
    I could do that. Does the thought of it fill me with joy? No. Also, I’d have to wear a horrible bimetallic Rolex and drive something hideous.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    After years of using your communication skills to great effect showing care, compassion, consideration for others and empathy - you could abandon all of those skills and get a job at Goldsmiths in the Rolex department
    There’s TaketheCannoli’s ‘religious cult based on pure fiction’ if I ever I saw one.

Though he has transferable experience and skills whatever he goes to he'll be a newbie despite his years.
    I think so too. If I could clear £100 a day or £20 an hour I’d be OK. But doing what? And, as you say, as whose paying that to a newbie?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    A work coach
    Teacher at senior school or college
    Sorry, I can’t see me doing either. But thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I think Rev can do what he wants within reason.

His posts here showcase his knowledge, humour and empathy.

If I had to recruit a TZ team, he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Age is not such a problem these days - you don't even have to put it on your CV.

It's just getting an interview.

I'm not an expert but my advice regarding a contact strategy would be to avoid email and social media initially and contact people via warmer channels such as phone and F2F.

I worked for a well-known company where I reported into an ex-vicar.

One of the best people I've ever worked with.

Believe in yourself OP.
    Thanks. Just cried a bit at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brauner Hund View Post
    This.
    Griz it.

(And disappointed, once again, to see one or two of the faux-honour self-styled board-police ‘regulars’ here reveal their thoroughly nasty and spiteful keyboard-hero real selves.)
    You might be right. As for the unkind posts, hey, it’s the internet. More trolls than a Nordic nightmare. Everyone is brave, honest and funny when they post online. Sexy, too. And clever. But not always nice.

One could argue that to an extent the OP is his own boss and has been for a long time, working for someone else or being part of a structured organisation might prove to be very difficult.
    Yes indeed! I have HUGE amount of freedom and flexibility. I control 90% of my diary. I answer to no-one on a day to day (heck, month to month) basis. Putting the genie back in the lamp could be hard.

He is indeed saying exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    Do you currently have a house as part of your job? If so have you factored this in to the equation of how much money you need to live on.
    Yes. I get about £25k pa plus a house and pension contributions. The house is probably worth at least a grand a month in rent / mortgage (call it £15k) but I could live somewhere cheaper and smaller. Kids have left home so I don’t need a four bedroom detached property with a double garage etc.

So I’m on a package worth £40k (although the tied housing means I’m de facto “renting” rather than buying of course.)

However, I’d have to live somewhere and I would want to earn at least some of the money I’d be foregoing by “retiring”. Wouldn’t have to be the whole lot by any means as I also own (outright) two small BTL’s and my wife works. So I could probably do something part time or poorly paid as long as it was a good fit. But as has been said I’d be a newbie with an odd (albeit transferable) skill set.

Ideally, there’d be a museum who wanted a communications and outreach person: getting schools to come in on guided tours with hands-on learning and taking portable interactive displays out to care homes and prisons and so on. I’d love that. Explaining things, teaching, having a base and being part of a team but also meeting new people.
    Last edited by Rev-O; 3rd August 2021 at 14:01.

Never thought I'd have to tell a vicar off for cussing in the G&D .
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Those 2 properties you mention you own could be crucial in your decision.
    They are an added safety net/ future pension etc

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Never thought I'd have to tell a vicar off for cussing in the G&D .
    Damn I thought this the Pulpits and Pelts thread.

Master
    I just got quoted £90 to clean out some gutters, do two of those a day (max 2 hours work) and retire very comfortably

Master
    Perhaps it’s not just one thing you need to do?

Have you considered combining a few things, as said previously how about some independent celebrant work but also some local tour guiding and possibly leveraging the btl properties to get a couple more but air b&b them which ties into the tour guide and possibly less so celebrant gigs, this could also offer up independent museum tours if the smaller local one don’t need a full time employee, you could also look at managing others air b&b’s if that was of interest.

All of these could also be done if you wanted part time.

Whatever path you eventually take I wish you well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    That is a good idea,its a similar yet very different job.

We used to try and avoid church parade at first,then we clicked on the Chaplain was on our side and for an hour or so no one was going to shout at us (plus we got tea and biscuits).

I never heard anyone say a bad word about any of them
    Good supply of tea, biscuits and booze too

Master
    Blog Entries

Career change

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I just got quoted £90 to clean out some gutters, do two of those a day (max 2 hours work) and retire very comfortably
    Funny that, my window cleaner is in a right earner. Not early to buy a round/territory.

Same with dog walking/daycare.

I would look at university jobs such as for chaplain, outreach, careers or library roles.

Otherwise possibly contact a job agency or two which may present possible options. Good luck!

I’m a bit confused. Are you asking us what job you could get in 5 years time?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I’m a bit confused. Are you asking us what job you could get in 5 years time?
    That's what I understood.

Perhaps a bit corporate but the Knowledge department of a law firm could be a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    That's what I understood.
    I can’t think that far ahead. Come back and ask me in 4 years and 9 months please Reverend!

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I actually think there's a decent gig here for a few more years, maybe a decade or two...otherwise it's STEM careers for the smart kids especially if they're adept at coding and/or AI training or it's AMAZON/ Mc D's. Entertainment/ Sports for the talented few.

Journeyman
    I think a lot of your communication and copywriting/proof reading would have you suited to bid writing.

I started out as a sheet metal worker, moved into education and very recently fell into bid writing.

I have no degree, but still managed to get a full time bid writing role in April then promoted to bid manager 2 month later after my manager left.

I had no real previous experience, but you have to write a peace as part of the interview process, so if you can nail that with your communication/writing skills you should be good to go.

Entry level is 25k, you can work from home, but you still build close relationships with your team. Kind of job where you could drop days, as nearing retirement or write from abroad as well.

Finally there’s a lot of charities who look for people to write bids for them to gain funding, so a good way to give back and carry on supporting causes close to your heart.

Good luck either way

Master
    I know a few chaps who have become handymen or gardeners, having departed the Police and legal profession just for 2 examples. They earn circa £100-150 per day,and are all happy and relaxed. Costs to set up are very low, and the results are tangible and satisfying. Just turning up when you say you will, and doing a reasonable job will put you above many competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by The Journey View Post
    I think a lot of your communication and copywriting/proof reading would have you suited to bid writing.

I started out as a sheet metal worker, moved into education and very recently fell into bid writing.

I have no degree, but still managed to get a full time bid writing role in April then promoted to bid manager 2 month later after my manager left.

I had no real previous experience, but you have to write a peace as part of the interview process, so if you can nail that with your communication/writing skills you should be good to go...
    FFS, it's 'piece'. It's not difficult.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I feel you're pane.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Congrats on moving from manual labour to a desk job, it makes sense as you get older.

The thing is bid writing involves a lot of Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V.

Don't think that would suit Rev considering his background.

How about considering one of the other outfits - an Imam or Rabbi perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Peace, man (sic). One misspelling in thread post. No biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    How about considering one of the other outfits - an Imam or Rabbi perhaps?
    I like pork and booze, also (and most importantly) Jesus.

So far I'm thinking the museum job (which perhaps doesn't even exist) as my first choice, followed by Rocket Man's Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner role, Family Support worker or doing funerals freelance.

Happy to work a "portfolio" of part time jobs, might give a bit more variety, too.

Thanks again all. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    I like pork and booze, also (and most importantly) Jesus.

So far I'm thinking the museum job (which perhaps doesn't even exist) as my first choice, followed by Rocket Man's Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner role, Family Support worker or doing funerals freelance.

Happy to work a "portfolio" of part time jobs, might give a bit more variety, too.

Thanks again all. Much appreciated.
    Fair enough!

Not questioning your beliefs but do other vicars perhaps not believe but just see the job a career like any other.

We had a celebrant for my Mother's funeral BTW. Didn't know there was such a thing but he was very good, all that was needed.

Why not become a Bishop?