closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Career change

Career change

I've been a Vicar for 23 years but thinking of doing something different. I'm 50 this year and can take my pension from 55. (Much reduced, of course: I think it would be £7k pa plus a £45k lump sum.)

So I'm wondering about taking that and then making a change.

I'm well educated (postgraduate), intelligent (not the same thing as well educated), honest, reasonably (!) hardworking, presentable.

I'm quite creative and proactive but my main skill is as a communicator: I'm good with words, whether on the page / screen or as a speaker. I can construct a case or argument, "sell" things or ideas, proofread or write copy.

I'm less good with numbers and figures; also not massively practical.

I have a clean driving licence, no criminal record, and good social skills (especially with children, although mine have grown up now.)

Health is, I suppose, average except I suffer from depression with I manage (mostly) with medication. It doesn't (usually) affect my work.

I'd like to work alongside people as part of "flat" / horizontal team (I don't particularly like giving or taking orders).

I *think* like something with concrete, measurable outcomes -- where you know what you've done and when you've done enough.

Ideally it would be in the Midlands as my wife works and her job is in Hinckley but given a wide enough radius that is a pretty big area.

I'd need to earn least £25k a year, ideally £30k or more.

So give me some ideas. I've got, as David Bowie said, five years.

All serious suggestion considered (and I only want serious suggestions: not rent boy or bank robber or whatever).

Over to you, tz-uk.

Something stress free where you can walk away at the end of your shift with no worries.....what about a postman.

Master
    I would have thought that after years in the clergy, you must have dealt with people in the depths of despair, so how about counselling of some sort?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Rev, most of the people I know are going the opposite way i.e. from business to something more ethical.

I would be very careful indeed before making your choice, especially given your background. By that I mean you use empathy and well... some sectors don't have much of it.

My advice would be not to think of your skills and then find a job that suits, but to imagine your ideal role and then see if there's a way of achieving it.

sorry had to say it have you asked God? five years stuck on my mind I'm 62 and have just been made redundant wish I could get 45k lump sum and 7 k a year been in a factory for 18 years and not getting anything like that , used to be top in class in RE back in the day should have been a vicar

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Something stress free where you can walk away at the end of your shift with no worries.....what about a postman.
    Our post is fairly stressed most days - targets for round time and number of drops, hassle with recorded deliveries and nobody in etc.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Our post is fairly stressed most days - targets for round time and number of drops, hassle with recorded deliveries and nobody in etc.
    Ah, rent boy it is then.

When I took early retirement from the Civil Service a lot of colleagues who were also going had been managers of varying levels and after years of target driven work wanted something were they just went to work and basically didn’t have to overly think or take responsibility. Some ended up working in places like B&Q or Tesco stacking shelves. They seemed to take to it and as it was a sort of casual job on top of a pension, they felt as though they were in control. Not like being in your late 20s with young children and a mortgage and you need to fight to keep your job. They saw it as though the tables had turned and they were now in control, they could walk out whenever they liked.

By the way, I didn’t take another job. I used to love work, I could watch it all day. I did have an interview for a Postman and they even rang me up and offered me a job, but I just couldn’t be bothered. No regrets.

Master
    A Priest does more good than everyone else in this forum put together.

I say stick at it because you have a brilliant job

I imagine that during the last 18 months or so you've been under far greater pressure than many of us would care to endure, and the appeal of something less stressful must be immense, now most jobs come with their own forms of stress you will need to decide "stress vs earnings", focus on the things that have always interested you, being outdoors, nature or whatever, often doing something you enjoy is a good "trade off" against earnings, perhaps you need to build a new future with your own rules, but be prepared for the ups and downs that go with that freedom.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Idea #!: since you're used to communicate with people: a front desk-style of job is something that springs to mind. Not somewhere behind a desk at an office.

Idea #2: I do not know much about the UK's educational system (apart from 'Educating ...') but school counselor is a very satisfying job; even at an older age. In fact, I found it easier than when I was young.

Perhaps a strange idea/example: I know a nice lady who changed career at 51. She went from public service (city council job) to the funeral 'industry'. The ceremonial part of a funeral, not the practical side of undertaking. And she loves her job.

Wishing you luck and keep us posted!

What’s your passion(s)?

What makes you smile?

No point jumping ship unless it’s worth it!

Maybe you don’t need to change your career, just improve other aspects of your lifestyle?
    Last edited by Chinnock; 2nd August 2021 at 21:26.

Master
    What about a wedding or funeral celebrant? A few years ago I had never heard of them but they seem to be an increasingly popular choice and would suit your skill set.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The gift that keeps on giving..........Like herpes.

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    What about a wedding or funeral celebrant? A few years ago I had never heard of them but they seem to be an increasingly popular choice and would suit your skill set.
    I think the Rev does that for a living already.

Forgive me if I come across as too personal or if I am completely off the mark (tell me to F off if you like) but I always thought serving God was a vocation? It’s something people were called to do.
    As such have you had a change of heart? If so that would be a big change in your life and I am not sure a change of job will resolve the issue. There maybe be other things to address first. I have never considered being a member of the clergy to be like a ‘normal job’ - it’s a special type of person that joins the church.
    Sorry if I have the complete wrong end of the stick. As I say feel free to tell me to F off.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 2nd August 2021 at 21:40.

I know it's not a massive change but Armed Forces chaplain? Well paid, maximum age to join 55 I think.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    The gift that keeps on giving..........Like herpes.
    If you think that you are worth more than just 1% of a Vicar then feel free to explain why.

If you think that you are worth more than just 1% of a Vicar then feel free to explain why.
    No religious chat in the G&D old boy

Grand Master
    Stick at it till you reach 55, don’t fall into the ‘grass is greener’ trap.

Master
    Perhaps he has a productive job not based on an empty superstition?

Have you ever considered a career in mental health, either in the NHS or a for charity like MIND?

With your social skills and lived experience I think you'd have a lot to offer.

One way to start would be by training as a Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner. The NHS is keen to recruit older people who are seeking a career change into these roles (rather than an endless queue of young Psychology graduates). Starting salary is about 25K and you can progress quite quickly into more senior roles. Training takes one year and you get paid a salary whilst training.

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    Rev-O,
    I have acted as a celebrant at two funerals (at the request of the families involved) and according to the families it went very well, however with your background I'd think you'd have done a far better job than me.

I believe the going rate for a 'proper' celebrant rather exceeds the CofE rate for a minister...

Good luck with whatever you choose.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Stick at it till you reach 55, don’t fall into the ‘grass is greener’ trap.
    This, 100%.

I’m fairly certain we have doctors, surgeons and all sorts on here so I tend to disagree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    You really are the most unbelievable hypocrite.
    There is nothing contradictory in what I said, just you trying to do a bit of s*** stirring. It's a simple fact that society needs thousands of jobs to exist but it is surely evident that some jobs such as a Vicar stand out above 99% of the others.

There is nothing contradictory in what I said, just you trying to do a bit of s*** stirring. It's a simple fact that society needs thousands of jobs to exist but it is surely evident that some jobs such as a Vicar stand out above 99% of the others.
    Only in your distorted mind.

There are many highly valued professions - you are singling one out, which is opinionated at best.

Stop being so clumsy Mick - it does you no favours.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 2nd August 2021 at 22:05.

Then what does everyone else in this forum do? As you have no idea of that you're hardly in a position to 'pontificate'...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Is there any way you could, (and afford) reduce the days you work? That way you could potentially do two days of something you enjoy more. If it works out you could then take it up full time. If it doesn’t atleSt you still have an income.

Some kind of mentoring work may be fun if not well paid. What about qualifying as a counsellor?

Good luck

My mate's dad went the other way. After years working as a lift engineer, and doing well out out of it, he jacked it all in to become a methodist reverend.

Perhaps you could become a lift engineer?

Speaking from personal experience, you'd make a really good museum guide and curator.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    My mate's dad went the other way. After years working as a lift engineer, and doing well out out of it, he jacked it all in to become a methodist reverend.

Perhaps you could become a lift engineer?
    He should consider the ups and down first.

Wow. Lots to digest there. Thanks everyone. Will re-read and reply in the morning.

Night all!

Removed as hadn’t noticed we were in the G&D.

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 3rd August 2021 at 08:52.

Blog Entries
    Have you asked the guy you work for?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Knock it on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Have you asked the guy you work for?
    Have you tried running full speed into a brick wall?

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    ... Based on your comment I assume you've succumbed to the cult that is the pure fiction of religion (again, genuinely, no offence Rev-O).
    What makes you think this comment has any place in this thread in the G&D?

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I assume you've succumbed to the cult that is the pure fiction of religion (again, genuinely, no offence Rev-O).
    Incredibly poor taste.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I know it's not a massive change but Armed Forces chaplain? Well paid, maximum age to join 55 I think.

That is a good idea,its a similar yet very different job.

We used to try and avoid church parade at first,then we clicked on the Chaplain was on our side and for an hour or so no one was going to shout at us (plus we got tea and biscuits).

I never heard anyone say a bad word about any of them

Master
    I'm currently into my second week in hospital recovering from covid, this certainly opens your eyes as to what a wonderful job the NHS are doing ( I am purely speaking from a care point of view ).
    From the HCA right through to the consultants they have been magnificent and I,m sure are the reason I will hopefully get home soon to start the longer journey to recovery.
    With that in mind your skills would probably fit right in amongst the NHS somewhere.
    You don't seem to want the world financially, ( which makes a nice change these days ), more to life than money.
    I got off that big gravy train of very long hours and chasing money about 12 years ago( I'm 62 ), so it is possible.
    Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Sent from my SM-T590 using TZ-UK mobile app

You could always try using the Govt app that was well publicised a while back

https://beta.nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/

With a 30 year career history in IT, defence, telecoms and project management, it took my interests, motivations and preferences and suggested that I ought to consider retraining as a carpet fitter or tiler.

Craftsman
    How about hospital porter or care assistant? You would be perfect for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    I'm currently into my second week in hospital recovering from covid
    Vaccinated or unvaccinated?

Either way, get well soon.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Intelligent, educated, hard working, good social skills - especially with children... you sound like a potential teacher to me. Not a low stress occupation but very rewarding. Various routes in and bound to be opportunities in your geographical vicinity.

https://getintoteaching.education.go...come-a-teacher

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Vaccinated or unvaccinated?

Either way, get well soon.
    Both jabs, been really careful, just shows it’s a sneaky one this virus, ( although my words could be stronger).
    Tried to ride it out at home but after a week and 3 ambulance visits my partner drove me to hospital.
    Very frightening when you literally cannot breathe, ended up on a cpap mask, ( basically they push air into your lungs to keep you breathing).
    Still on oxygen now but very low volume nose tubes.
    Just be careful out there, there’s some sick people in here still.
    And yes, there are also people who haven’t been jabbed in here🙈😡

Apologies, hadn’t realised this was the G&D. Removed.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    What makes you think this comment has any place in this thread in the G&D?

Apologies, hadn’t realised this was the G&D. Removed. Mick brings out the worst in me I’m afraid.

Sorry all.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Incredibly poor taste.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Then what does everyone else in this forum do? As you have no idea of that you're hardly in a position to 'pontificate'...

R
    Well I saw what you did there!

Master
    great background to work as an undertaker or as said above postman/bus driver type role. GL on your next chapter in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    You could always try using the Govt app that was well publicised a while back

https://beta.nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/

With a 30 year career history in IT, defence, telecoms and project management, it took my interests, motivations and preferences and suggested that I ought to consider retraining as a carpet fitter or tiler.
    I had the same results, but also offered Astronomer, Dressmaker, life-guard and head of IT (despite never working in IT before) - just a few of the highlights offered.

What a load of guff.