closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which if any models would you pay above RRP to buy ?

Wonder how many of the ‘no’ crowd would turn down a PP Nautilus for £100 over list :-D

Do you have a link?

If I was guaranteed free money, I'd probably take it, but I don't buy watches with a view to flipping them a day later, so I assumed (naively) that the question was really what watch, that you'd want to own, would you pay extra for.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 3rd August 2021 at 18:08.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I think the Kurono Tokyo watches are worth more than the RRP and I'd pay 50% above to get a Toki for example

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t think twice about paying over rrp if I wanted the watch enough. I have paid over rrp before and it never bothered me in the slightest. Makes particular sense if the watch is rising in value as it’s cheaper to buy today than tomorrow and you get to enjoy it today. Would I pay £30k for a stainless Daytona, no I wouldn’t, but I’d pay £20k right now for one.

I would happily pay £30k for one of the Ming Massena watches, the honey one.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I would happily pay £30k for one of the Ming Massena watches, the honey one.
    Wonky hands are extra though

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Wonky hands are extra though
    If I could find one without the issue I'd pay £40k, it'd be an absolute steal at that.

My only issue is I have two sons so need another watch to pass on! Saving for a Seamaster to partner the OP.[/QUOTE]

So one son You favour or rate more than the other as they’re not being given the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    Wonder how many of the ‘no’ crowd would turn down a PP Nautilus for £100 over list :-D
    That’s a different question, that’s “Would you like to make a quick profit for doing nothing”

Master
    Given that there are very few current watches that I would like to own, the answer is none.

Nearly everyone is saying they wouldn't but that BLRO on SC for £13k had the seller's inbox rammed like Debbie Does Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Nearly everyone is saying they wouldn't but that BLRO on SC for £13k had the seller's inbox rammed like Debbie Does Dallas.
    There are probably hundreds of people who use TZUK and a few dozen who actually post anything
    Last edited by robert75; 4th August 2021 at 08:47.

Craftsman
    I would as I regret not getting a Daytona 4 years ago when they were selling for around 13/14k on the grey market.

The only watch that I want now is a 5167A, been told the best way to get it is to bundle with another watch so I guess i would be paying over RRP anyway then..

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    There are probably hundreds of people who use TZUK and a few dozen who actually post anything
    Indeed.

Lurkers who contribute nothing are always present on Fora unfortunately.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    The sensible approach on any product that has a track record of slowly going up in price is to buy it now. Forget RRP, it's a load of tosh, just pay the going rate and then sit on your arse and enjoy wearing it and when you finally come to sell it, you will almost certainly sell at a decent profit, so it's effectively wearing a good watch for free.

This is far better than refusing to "pay over the odds" and then moaning about high prices and complaining that the hobby is doomed etc.

I know what I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The sensible approach on any product that has a track record of slowly going up in price is to buy it now. Forget RRP, it's a load of tosh, just pay the going rate and then sit on your arse and enjoy wearing it and when you finally come to sell it, you will almost certainly sell at a decent profit, so it's effectively wearing a good watch for free.

This is far better than refusing to "pay over the odds" and then moaning about high prices and complaining that the hobby is doomed etc.

I know what I prefer.
    Wow....brilliant reply and 100%. I know some people would rather lop off a ball than pay over RRP but at the end of the day they miss out on enjoying the watch and the profit. RRP doesnt exist. Its a reward for being a good customer and for taking a bunch of depreciation on other items. The odd story of right place, right time just goes to fuel the notion that everyone has the god given right to buy watches below market value.

I would love to do an experiment to see of those that refuse point blank to pay over RRP....if they were gifted a pepsi (insert hype watch of choice here) tomorrow at RRP how many would wear the watch and enjoy it, and how many would sell it one for the profit....something they can only do because people are willing to pay over RRP

I am always reminded of the Chris Rock bit where if said that any man is only as faithful as his options and it hold very true when it comes to buying and selling watches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ShI4DKBdyw

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

I know what I prefer.
    Unless of course the market has a correction and your watch which had a RRP of £10k but you paid £30k suddenly stops increasing in price.

It a lot of price increases need from the manufacturer to catch up!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Unless of course the market has a correction and your watch which had a RRP of £10k but you paid £30k suddenly stops increasing in price.

It a lot of price increases need from the manufacturer to catch up!
    I would suspect if this happens watches that had a RRP of £30k would also drop down (probably by more)

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I would suspect if this happens watches that had a RRP of £30k would also drop down (probably by more)
    Agreed.

I just think a lot of people are very deluded if they think this is how the market will remain forever with some watches selling for 50% or 100% over retail.

Grand Master
    If you’re prepared to pay significantly over list price your desire to own the watch has to be high enough to accept that the watch could end up being worth far less than you’ve paid, it’s a mistake to believe that the current situation will prevail indefinitely.

Well, I just bought a new 2021 White Datejust 41 with white gold fluted bezel and Jubilee bracelet from a Chrono24 London Jewellers.

RRP is £7900 and I paid £9000 - I can live with that :)

Surely you can get that as a walk in at 70% of ADs or more.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Agreed.

I just think a lot of people are very deluded if they think this is how the market will remain forever with some watches selling for 50% or 100% over retail.
    I agree that the price escalation will soon be a lot less intense but Rolex have learned a valuable lesson of protecting the brand by creating a waiting list. What is almost certainly going to happen is that the RRP of new models is going to become very high compared to the older ones which will help to keep the present models buoyant.

It's just classic marketing practice.

I would have thought so too.
    I recently purchased a DJ41 for £6150.

Certainly could!

It’s a little like the BB58 that are available at list in the AD’s yet grey dealers are still asking a premium - madness!

Strong delivery fee.

Master
    I’ve seen a Kermit and Batman in a window today and some sucker will buy them but not me.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post

RRP is £7900 and I paid £9000 - I can live with that :)
    Ooops! On the plus side, someone needs to keep the greys in a job.