closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which if any models would you pay above RRP to buy ?

Which if any models would you pay above RRP to buy ?

By that I mean for new watches perhaps sold in the last year or so ?

I suppose we are all prepared to pay way above the original RRP for vintage stuff, NOS or used :)

I'd happily pay £100 over list for a new Pepsi or Daytona.

None

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    None.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    None.
    + 1
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    I’ve often wondered before what’s the most anyone’s paid over RRP. The most I recall reading about was a guy on forums who bought a new release off DavidSW after Baselworld a couple of years back. From memory he paid something like 20k for a 7k watch and was happy to post about it. It was the highest price anywhere at the time.

Apart from that nothing - but clearly someone’s out there buying them. . . . Trust fund kids, city traders spending their bonuses and lottery winners. Plus there will be some who don’t want to play the AD game and just want to buy their grail watch.

On and that fella Stern - he buys his watches back at 10X RRP :-)

None.

None.

Many times paying over list is probably cheaper, all things considered.

Someone here was laughed at for buying a white dial ceramic Daytona after launch for £13k and now they're £23k on a bad day.

List price is effectively a discount on the market price. If you're not willing to pay the going rate you won't get what you want.

A Dornbluth, perhaps at the lower end of their price range. There was a nice reasonably priced one on SC a while ago but COVID and an incoming birthday gift prevented me from pursuing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I give up. Everything seems to have reduced itself to money. That’s not a worthwhile hobby is it? How did we get to this miserable state?
    I joined because I enjoy watches, not value of money above all else. Might as well strap money to the wrist and keep staring at it. While muttering ‘I’m going to make a profit ..that’s all that matters ‘.
    How about not just making money from fellow hobbyists. Fortunately, I know I’ll never buy or sell again. Enough is enough. There are better things.
    Rant over, but I’m done. Peace while I simply enjoy my watch.
    Last edited by paskinner; 2nd August 2021 at 20:23.

None.
    I’m a Yorkshire man.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Bought a Silver Snoopy for £8.5k (£4.6k list), sold it. Then bought another for £9k and sold it. Selling now for £35k.

Bought a ceramic white Daytona for £13.75k, got panicky when a well respected dealer on here confidently predicted that they would be below £13k by Christmas. Sold it and lost £250.

You can still pay over the top or even over the odds for second hand or vintage. I bought a watch last night in an auction, just kept bidding until others stopped. Probably paid too much but don’t really care, I wanted it and I got it…

I cant think of anything I would pay over the odds for, I understand that some people are willing to do so and speculate on the price going up in the future like some Patek and Daytona but I really cant be bothered with this not over a watch and life is just too short for all the messing about. If I wanted a watch I would pay list if I couldnt get it I would just look for something else, no big deal its just a watch.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

List price is effectively a discount on the market price. If you're not willing to pay the going rate you won't get what you want.
    Maybe the answer is to stop wanting?

I jumped off the Rolex roundabout a long while ago and I don’t miss it, owning a ‘desirable’ Rolex doesn’t improve your life and I doubt whether it endears you to other people, especially if they realise you’ve paid stupid money for the privilege.

Vintage as mentioned, but modern ones probably the GMTs (not at current market price of course)

No, fleecing people is immoral in my view. Even if at RRP the mark up is high.

Grand Master
    I have to smile when folks refer to ‘residual value’ when discussing watches, there was a time when folks bought watches because they liked them and planned to keep them. Nowadays some folks seem to treat buying a watch like buying a car, keep it a while then trade it in. The really smart ones buy a watch they like, then save up for another......and another. It’s called building a collection, takes several years, but you end up with several watches that you like.

If you’re worried about residual value you can’t afford the watch, watches should be bought with spare money that you don’t need for life’s necessities.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I give up. Everything seems to have reduced itself to money. That’s not a worthwhile hobby is it? How did we get to this miserable state?
    I joined because I enjoy watches, not value of money above all else. Might as well strap money to the wrist and keep staring at it. While muttering ‘I’m going to make a profit ..that’s all that matters ‘.
    How about not just making money from fellow hobbyists. Fortunately, I know I’ll never buy or sell again. Enough is enough. There are better things.
    Rant over, but I’m done. Peace while I simply enjoy my watch.
    You are over reacting. You have to pay the going rate for everything, that's a fact of life. The main problem here is that a large proportion of members hate not getting a good deal. Years ago it was dead easy to buy below RRP but today not so. You just got to rise above it.

You just got to accept everyone be they dealers or private individuals will want to sell at the best price just as buyers want the lowest price. No need to get depressed about it and let it affect your enjoyment of the hobby.

Blog Entries
    Bought a couple over retail. Sold a LOT below retail. You do the math. I buy what I want but in a set budget.

I generally do NOT pay way over MRP for NOS or “vintage” or new.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 2nd August 2021 at 20:50.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

There are many I would pay over RRP for, including discontinued models. What about you OP, are you just stirring or do you have an opinion on your own thread?

[If only we didn't have Rolex, these repetitive threads, which seem to make up a good chunk of the forum these days, would not exist.]

Craftsman
    I've never even paid retail!

There's just loads of stuff out there that I like that it doesn't really matter if certain watches are out of reach for now, I'll just buy something else and enjoy that.

Grand Master
    As a confirmed vintage fan the price / availability of new watch models doesn’t affect me directly, but until recently I had a mixture of old and newer watches and was keen to own a couple of the recent Rolex offerings so the price movement if the new stuff did concern me. Moving on from that mindset has proved to be a liberating experience and I recommend others to try it, Rolex ownership is no big deal, I still own one but I seriously question whether to keep it or cash it in.

None.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    As a confirmed vintage fan the price / availability of new watch models doesn’t affect me directly, but until recently I had a mixture of old and newer watches and was keen to own a couple of the recent Rolex offerings so the price movement if the new stuff did concern me. Moving on from that mindset has proved to be a liberating experience and I recommend others to try it, Rolex ownership is no big deal, I still own one but I seriously question whether to keep it or cash it in.
    Cash it in and you can become a full member of the no regrets club, tell everyone at every turn that you broke free.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Cash it in and you can become a full member of the no regrets club, tell everyone at every turn that you broke free.
    Nah.....I got married in it and (more importantly) its going up in value so I guess it’ll stay where it is.

I have to smile when folks refer to ‘residual value’ where discussing watches, there was a time when folks bought watches because they liked them and planned to keep them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Nah.....I got married in it and (more importantly) its going up in value so I guess it’ll stay where it is.
    Lolz

Many times paying over list is probably cheaper, all things considered.

Someone here was laughed at for buying a white dial ceramic Daytona after launch for £13k and now they're £23k on a bad day.

The situation is fuelled by this attitude and approach.

I hope it keeps going and gets worse TBH - glad to be out of it.

Play the games, spend your cash etc. - there is a lot of pleasure outside of the rose tints.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    Lolz
    I was being flippant with the last comment, the money doesn’t really matter. In hindsight getting married in it was a mistake.....the choice of watch not the marriage!

I was being flippant with the last comment, the money doesn’t really matter. In hindsight getting married in it was a mistake.....the choice of watch not the marriage!
    I took mine off for the wedding. It was a quartz Tag F1 and didn't really work with a suit. Glad I didn't wear it as it's long gone now.

I just bought a Casio Gw5000U from Seiya in Japan which should work out at about £300 after tax. That’s probably the only watch I’ve ever bought ‘over list’ in about 35 years of buying and selling watches, and I’m not even sure it counts as it’s not a UK release!

I find it hard enough to pay RRP and I’ve only done so occasionally - paying anything over would simply not occur to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinaldo1711 View Post
    I find it hard enough to pay RRP and I’ve only done so occasionally - paying anything over would simply not occur to me.
    Same, well said. 👍

I'd happily pay £10k for a Pepsi BLRO.

Why? I honestly don't know. Maybe because 10k is less than market value, so I'd believe (in my own head) that I was getting a 'good' deal, but whilst still knowing it is above list.

I wouldn't pay £15k for one. Why? Because it is too much of a leap (to me) above list... but I might have the same view of 15k that I currently have of 10k in a couple of years time.

Just being honest and up front.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I ignore list prices. You'll take a much bigger bath on the watches at then paying over list on the ones that demand the premium.

Which watch can you buy at list and sell at list?

Simply put, if you are happy paying over list for a new watch, then don't ever complain about the availability of a watch at retail.

I bought a black Rolex OP39 on here for about £500 more than they had been retailing at. I did it because I’d wanted the watch for ages, couldn’t get one from an AD and then they’d been discontinued. The price I paid on here was still very favourable compared to what they’d started going for on Chrono24 etc after being discontinued.

I don’t care that I paid a small amount extra because I love the watch, it’s rarely off my wrist, I have no intention of selling it and one day my son will have it.

I always think there are undoubtedly higher rollers than me that have the same approach but on a bigger scale - ie my 500 quid is their 5000 quid, and they’re prepared to do the same to get something they really want. The other side is the flippers and profiteers, but there’s no point whinging about that because it is what it is.

My only issue is I have two sons so need another watch to pass on! Saving for a Seamaster to partner the OP.

None.

I will not pay over RRP for any watch. I also go for a discount and generally will be offered something unless it is a hot in demand watch like the recent Omega Snoopy.

I do paid up to retail but that hurts if I haven’t been able to secure any discount but the usual freebies help a little!

Master
    Probably a good way of looking at it at the moment.

That was probably quite a big shout at the time though, as watch prices weren't close to being like that. Ballsy move :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Bought a Silver Snoopy for £8.5k (£4.6k list), sold it. Then bought another for £9k and sold it. Selling now for £35k.

Master
    To those replying 'none', consider this. You want a hard to find model and are told there's a 5 year waiting list. But for an extra £100 you can have it right now. Are you sure the answer is still 'none'? I think what you mean is, you won't pay the current grey market price.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    To those replying 'none', consider this. You want a hard to find model and are told there's a 5 year waiting list. But for an extra £100 you can have it right now. Are you sure the answer is still 'none'? I think what you mean is, you won't pay the current grey market price.
    Agreed, a few hundred I could live with to have a watch now if I really wanted it. There is no way though I would pay 30-50% over retail for a mass produced watch which are made in the thousands and still in the current line up.

I personally think anyone who does pay such a large amount over retail is crazy, however I guess it’s all relevant as my £100 may be someone’s £10,000.

I would not. (Regardless of the watch)
    It’s only a watch, they are nice to have but not the be all and end all. (I have the same opinion regarding paying over the odds for any item)
    Paying market rate is one thing, paying over market rate seems pretty daft as you are just filling a third parties pockets.
    That said, I don’t buy new, nor do I chase the hot hard to get models. So I guess I am not the target audience for the question.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 3rd August 2021 at 15:12.

Master
    I personally would pay a premium for a LV Rolex, not sure how much, but a decent amount over list.

I think that several Tudor watches can be got relatively easily at retail and then are always sold at close or slightly over retail - the Bucherer bronze edition (slightly lower now ) and the Harrods Black Bay.

Craftsman
    I can't imagine a scenario where there's only one watch out there that I want and nothing else. There's just so much out there that I can't imagine obsessing over one specific model.

Journeyman
    I guess it depends how much over retail. If it wasn't too much (max £200/300) I probably would, if I absolutely loved and had to have the watch without waiting. I'm pretty impatient

Master
    I guess I was being pedantic in theorising that you might pay a small amount to jump a long queue. The real life situation is that watches with long waiting lists have huge grey market markups and I wouldn't be comfortable paying them either, there are other fish in the sea. But as mentioned it's all relative, and to some people it's pocket money.

I wouldn't pay over list, in fact I like to see how much below list I can get! There is a certain smugness to be had buying a £10k watch for £4k. Sure, you will never make a profit but that's not the point of the hobby for me.

Master

https://www.chisholmhunter.co.uk/bal...rap-watch.html

This is a bargain then for those that anchor to RRP

Having the latest "must have" bauble and paying well over the odds to get it is not my thing.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Yeah I'd also have to go with the 'None' crowd. In fact I usually ask for a discount if I think I can get away with it.

I guess I'm lucky in that I have a skewed idea of 'desirable' to the mainstream. i.e. I much prefer the Breitling Superocean / Heritage to a Sub or Seadweller, Give me a Ulysse Nardin Dual time over a GMTM2 any day of the week, etc.

Also resale isn't that big a deal to me - I took a bath on the SOH but utterly love it, the UN is closing in on double what I paid for it and I also utterly love that and you'll have to pry both of them off my corpse.

I do feel slightly sorry for those who must have the latest Rotek Philliguet and pay through the nose for it, but then if that's what they truly want and are willing and able to pay the price then who am I to judge.