closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Explorer 2 Polar, what are the chances?

Craftsman

Explorer 2 Polar, what are the chances?

So, I fancy one of these, but have no previous history with an AD.
    I can't justify, to myself, paying over retail.
    Additionally, I can't fund buying a number of other pieces in order to build up a relationship in the hope of getting the Explorer...
    Apart from visiting an AD every few months, and hoping, are there any alternative?

Any comments are appreciated

Go and ask them, they will be able to tell you better than we can.

I'm 'on the list' for one at an ad my old man bought a sea dweller from. Said it would be a couple of years.

Went into a more local ad yesterday, basically told me they reserve Rolex steel sports for customers buying jewellery and other watches.

I have ok spend and was told in April the list for Polar was clogged and no point going on it. With zero spend it isn't looking good but always worth introducing yourself, asking the question.

I do wonder how busy the list is with chancers who went on for the anniversary and now won't buy if called as it's pretty much the same.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I have ok spend and was told in April the list for Polar was clogged and no point going on it. With zero spend it isn't looking good but always worth introducing yourself, asking the question.

I do wonder how busy the list is with chancers who went on for the anniversary and now won't buy if called as it's pretty much the same.
    Probably they'll still be hoping to get one to flip. Have a reasonable spend with an AD, managed to get a new sub soon after they came out. But still waiting for a Pepsi, which many will be on the lists for just to make a few k. Such is the hobby.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

The question is not whether you can buy one at RRP, but how long you'll have to wait. Build up a relationship with a local authorised Rolex agent, with occasional visits as you suggest(if nothing else, to remind them you're there and waiting) - smaller independent dealers likely more favourable (a short wait). But, with the new release, I'd say a wait of several years is likely - I'd wager the polar is more popular. I bought the polar new around 18 months ago - I didn't wait long, but I have bought a few from them over the years (and I'd say the polar was less popular then than it is now).

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    The question is not whether you can buy one at RRP, but how long you'll have to wait. Build up a relationship with a local authorised Rolex agent, with occasional visits as you suggest(if nothing else, to remind them you're there and waiting) - smaller independent dealers likely more favourable (a short wait). But, with the new release, I'd say a wait of several years is likely - I'd wager the polar is more popular. I bought the polar new around 18 months ago - I didn't wait long, but I have bought a few from them over the years (and I'd say the polar was less popular then than it is now).
    I agree with this. Be genuine, and build up a relationship with your AD. If they're an arsehole (like some are), move onto another AD. Just be polite and be honest, that you want it for yourself.
    I've done the same with 3 ADs over the past 5 months, and all of them have been 'feeding' me watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    So, I fancy one of these, but have no previous history with an AD.
    I can't justify, to myself, paying over retail.
    Additionally, I can't fund buying a number of other pieces in order to build up a relationship in the hope of getting the Explorer...
    Apart from visiting an AD every few months, and hoping, are there any alternative?

Any comments are appreciated
    You’ll struggle, but it’s not impossible.
    They’re a bit harder than Milgauss or air king, but not as hard to get as black subs.

I visited my AD last week to discuss a watch to mark my retirement last week. Whilst there, I was offered a new Explorer II (black, previous edition) that they had received from Rolex back in March when the new model was released. It was a complete surprise (and rude to say no). I suppose the lesson is that they you never know and it is worth asking the question of your AD. I have bought quite a few watches from them over the years though.

Craftsman
    Thanks guys.. as expected really... already on a list in Milton Keynes, so will continue to chat to them, any maybe visit a few others.....

FWIW I wouldn't go on the list at more than one place within the same group.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    FWIW I wouldn't go on the list at more than one place within the same group.
    Thanks for that...yeah, makes sense..

I was on "the list" a couple of years ago and was advised it could be 2 years. One day another member posted on here that he had turned one down at an AD in London and offered to put anyone in touch. A week later I had it on my wrist and felt very lucky.
    In fact, I'm now thinking of letting it go but I'm having trouble sourcing another watch that is no longer in production.
    Good luck.

I remember visiting David Duggan about 15 years ago, he literally had a drawer full of polar Explorer II’s all at around £1500 - must have been over 30 in that drawer! - for a long time they were the easiest to find in an AD and not all that popular. How times change!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I tried one on when the new 42mm had just been released in the Cambridge AD, close to M&S in the town. They didn't offer me a discount but I secured one from my local AD.
    So much avalability at that time. Picked up a LV sub and a DSSD with no waiting around that time also.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Here is an older Explorer11 up for auction. You got to add £600 to the buying price. I wouldn't have a clue about the price differential of black vs polar.

https://www.watchcollecting.com/?ref...5D=live&page=1

Master
    Here is an actual selling price of a polar and the buyer had to pay £600 on top.

https://www.watchcollecting.com/?ref...5D=live&page=1

Craftsman
    So, visiting my nearest AD today in Northampton...nice guy... I was honest, and I suspect he was too... Got added to a list, but realistically, looking like 2023... Will touch base with them every 3-6 month, and we'll see..

2 years is not a bad wait at all if that turns out to be accurate in the end.