closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1st decent purchase

Apprentice

1st decent purchase

Hi all,
    My first proper post.
    I have been a long time reader of the forum, please take it easy on me.

So I was going to buy a BB58 back at Christmas time but because of a few reasons I didn’t pull the trigger.
    But am going to buy my first proper watch soon.

I have a Seamaster quartz (bought cheap 10 years ago and lost a bit of love for) Seiko PADI turtle and a 5 and a square 5600 series G-shock.

I would like either a automatic diver or pilot watch.
    Whichever one I go for, i will aim for the other one in the future.

I’m looking at a new Blue BB58 but have noticed a Zenith 40mm and 45mm pilot watches on heavy discount on the EJ website until midnight (think they are heavily discounted every couple of months)

I’m 50:50 at the moment, what are your experienced thoughts.
    This is a watch to use regularly, I’m not worried about dings and resale value….. but don’t want to overpay.

Master
    You already have decent watches, please don't get dragged in to the mindset of if it doesn't cost a bomb, it's worthless.

Enjoy them for what they are, and don't give a damn about their price point. Interesting watches needn't set you back mega bucks. It's a hobby (but to many an obsession) enjoy it for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    You already have decent watches, please don't get dragged in to the mindset of if it doesn't cost a bomb, it's worthless.
    That.

WTT the Zenith, I have the 45mm, absolutely love it. The crown is push-pull and is very large so from time to time it does worry me that it can or will take a big knock but that hasn't happened so far. The dial is hugely legible, the lume is decent but not as good as in your Turtle, the case is nice but the caseback is fantastic. Get it in 45mm, the larger size suits it better than 40mm.

There's tons of options out there but I feel compelled to comment since you mentioned the BB58 blue. I got one recently and I have to say, it's a really fabulous watch. Great proportions, keeps near perfect time and looks absolutely stunning imo. The blue isn't a rich blue, it's more of a grey blue and as such it is more versatile than you might think. Obviously, try one on first if you can but you won't go wrong with a BB58.

Don't rush into any purchase (e.g. the Zeniths on EJ tonight), they will be discounted again. Rushed purchases may be commonplace on here, but it doesn't make them always sensible.

I like your choice of the BB58, you'll find it much more wearable than the normal BB.

Welcome along. Your current collection is an interesting one and I would echo the earlier sentiments that the watches you have might well shade out those au current ones you’re considering.

Why not post up the current sotc, and tell us more about what you like on each of them?

You have some nice watches already so dont rush it, spend a bit more time here getting involved and let your post count drift up, once you have access to SC you will see all sorts for sale and quite often BB's and BB58 at good prices.

Always best to try used as you should lose little money if you dont take to the watch..

Better not to rush into any purchases (ie Zenith), and I would always recommend trying on a watch before purchasing it, as they do all feel different.

Stowa for the fleiger. Nuff said.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Craftsman
    As others have said, expensive and decent are not the same thing. You've got the start of a great collection already.

To answer your question though; you've already got a couple of divers so I would lean towards the pilot watch. Unless divers are what you like?

Why have you gone off the Seamaster? And what's the BB going to do for you that the Seamaster doesn't?

Do you absolutely have to spend all of the money on one watch? Because you could get a Longines diver and Laco or Stowa flieger for that. It would give you the opportunity to figure out what you like and then upgrade in the future if you really felt the need.

Master
    I agree with all of the above.

However.

Sometimes you want A NAME. I was the same I had a nice collection a seiko, an eterna, a Breitling and then I HAD to have a Ulysse Nardin. I saved the money and bought one, because I liked the name, the history, the complications, and I'm fantastically happy with it a couple of years later. Wearing it on my wrist as I type this as a matter of fact.

Since then I've bought in a way closer to the advice above, choosing watches that I like but that don;t cost the earth because, well, a name isn't everything, but it can be.

I'll not give any specific advice but personally I'd be booking some appointments with dealers to spend some time trying on watches.