closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Chef Knife suggestions

Master
    Blog Entries

Chef Knife suggestions

I'm looking for a decent knife for cooking. I'm fed up of having to sharpen cheaper knives everytime I go to use them.

What do people use? Any suggestions?

There are a few threads on the subject:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...kitchen+knives

I like Taylors Eye Witness for price/quality - but would recommend mix/match and build up a set rather than a set from one maker.

I've been looking for a santoku or gyuto for a while, and with Japanese knives you can pay as much as you want. However the ProCook range of kitchen knives seem to be good at all of their respective price points, and their Damascus 67 range seems to be excellent value for that level of knife. I have a bread knife from one of the lower ranges and it's excellent quality. That's where I'll probably be buying. Luckily I have one of their stores quite near me so I'll pop over and take a look before buying (which actually means I'll buy one in the store when I'm there! ;-) )
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Since finishing my training many years agao I’ve always used Global knives. Not cheap but they stay sharper longer, full tang and balanced. Just don’t let anyone else use them or try to sharpen them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    From a previous recommendation

https://www.hartsofstur.com/henckels...485-007-0.html

More knives than you really need, cracking value though.

Master
    Had this one 11 years and it’s lovely to use.

https://www.boroughkitchen.com/produ...ic-chefs-knife

Kai brand

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought these earlier in the year, along with a Minosharp sharpener.

https://www.kitchenknives.co.uk/by-b...s-starter-kit/

More than happy, they replaced a large block set with too many knives which clogged up the kitchen worktops. New ones are on a wooden magnetic strip on the wall now clearing the worktop space.

Super sharp and have kept a nice edge but don’t get a super heavy usage.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    Having been acquainted with a number of professional and "personality" chefs, their recommendation was always a Sabatier 8 inch Carbon Steel chef's knife, because it is tough, versatile and keeps an edge better than the stainless steel versions. I think they are currently about £50-£60. They seem to add a paring knife and a sharpening steel - and that's about it.

Craftsman
    I tried out a few different sets at different price points and settled with the wusthof classic ikon. Good price and take a lot of abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Kai brand
    I've picked up a couple of Kai knives in TK Maxx over the years for around £20 each and they've been absolute amazing. Caught my eye as I'd seen high end pocket knives using their blades so gave one a try. they're up there with knives costing 5x or more!

My brother in law is a chef, won a few local level awards, and he swears by Victorinox chefs knives for blade quality and in-hand balance, he won’t use anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    I've picked up a couple of Kai knives in TK Maxx over the years for around £20 each and they've been absolute amazing. Caught my eye as I'd seen high end pocket knives using their blades so gave one a try. they're up there with knives costing 5x or more!
    Agreed, I use them all the time, picked mine up in the TK Maxx sister store Homesense.
    The sandwich steel ones are better than the ones made from a single thickness. I have no idea what it is, but the central vein is a different steel altogether and it holds an edge fantastically well. My wife made the mistake of putting one of them in the dishwasher, and the central section slightly corroded in one wash cycle, so it is perhaps a paper thin carbon steel sandwiched between stainless layers.
    D

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    There are a few threads on the subject:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...kitchen+knives

I like Taylors Eye Witness for price/quality - but would recommend mix/match and build up a set rather than a set from one maker.
    I've only just discovered Taylor's Eye Witness knives and agree that they offer decent VfM. The paring knife that just arrived is made from 5Cr15MoV steel..."a low-end stainless steel...made for the knife industry, especially for kitchen knives."

What other (better) steels would anyone recommend for kitchen / chef's knives, please?

I'm happy with my Flint & Flame Santoku's. Superb balance and incredibly sharp. Easy to maintain a perfect edge on them. I paid full price years ago, but they currently have an offer on of half price for the pair.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I post this in pretty much all of these threads:
    1. Be very careful with “Sabatier” - they are made by many different companies who have bought the rights to use the name (sort of like a franchise), some are excellent but some are crap
    2. My absolute favourite knife was made for me by TK Knives - tkknives.com - not cheap but worth it