closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cricket: Thoughts on The Hundred?

Cricket: Thoughts on The Hundred?

I admit I was sceptical at the launch of yet another short format but I have to say I've found the matches thoroughly entertaining and the rules make it very interesting. Would be interested to get the thoughts of other cricket fans here too.

Master
    I love all forms of cricket, and this new one is great.

I watched the ladies Oval Invincibles v Manchester Originals, and it was totally entertaining- lots of big hits and wickets, and a captain's innings. I then watched the mens version of the same game- much the same. It did really show the quality of the ladies' game, too.

What struck me was that even when you think a team is done for, they can still win. Oval did that in both games!

Not so keen on the halftime entertainment, but certainly had excellent crowds, with lots of kids and especially girls looking like they were really into the game.

Great to have it on terrestrial tv, too.

Hope it's a success.

Master
    Not a fan of cricket, so sadly not a fan of this. I think it's taking hours and hours of terrestrial TV away for nothing, I'd be gutted if I didn't have sky.

I'll watch the 20/20 if it's on, but this new format - designed to bring cricket to the level in the UK that the IPL has in India - won't work. Its not suddenly going to bring in millions of new viewers to a sport they don't like however much they try to jazz it up and americanise it.

For me, Test matches are mind numbingly boring, 20/20 is watchable because its over quickly. The Hundred sits squarely in the middle. I can't see it getting the traction it needs.

I'm pleased for the cricket fans of course, but the advertising they have done is clearly trying to generate an excitement that I don't think is there.

Master
    I’m enjoying it, and the fact the games take even less time than a 20/20 should encourage more viewers…

Don’t like the TV on-screen graphics though.

Off to Lords on Tuesday for the Hundred due to being impressed with the games so far. I have to say, a hundred balls may not be that much less than a T20, but the pace feels a lot better at 5 balls an over.

I think it works and if any format is going to bring new fans in to the game the Hundred is most likely to be it.
    I have a watched a few games and enjoyed them.

Master
    I was a sceptic but I think it's great, the loss of 20 balls versus 20-20 really makes a difference to the risks batters can/need to take. The finish to tonight's match was great to watch.

I like the way the mens' and womens' tournaments run alongside each other as well.

The rule changes are interesting too (eg the fact Birmingham Phoenix ran out of time and had to bring in a fielder was a factor in the result).

In fact I took my 14 year old son (cricket nut) to Lords yesterday, it was a fabulous day. We watched both games and each was exciting to watch in its way.

I've struggled to see the point of it. When I used to go to Trent Bridge to watch a T20 match (pre-pandemic) it would be packed to the rafters. Pop that on free-to-air television and you're good to go.

Apparently T20 is now too esoteric for the average Englishperson. Really? It manages to be huge in India and Australia, but it is too 'long and complicated' for us?

Well, yes, maybe cricket has become a bit elitist here. That has not been helped by the fact it has been on subscription TV for such a long time. Sure, cricket got the £££ from Sky, but it lost a lot of audience.

Now there is too much cricket in too many formats. Admittedly, I am small-c conservative and tend to shy away from change. I like popping to see Nott's for a county championship match and sharing Trent Bridge with two men and a dog. Maybe I will have to accept the first class cricket is an endangered species. But it makes me sad.

Back on topic, it is nice to have cricket on the television again. If I was a Derbyshire fan I may be a bit confused as to which team to support though. However, I'm not keen on the format and the coverage makes me bilious.

Self-indulgent rant over!

Tickets for the first India Test next week. Had better enjpy it while it lasts...

I am going Monday.. love cricket and happy it’s on Normal TV. Games have been exciting.

The ECB have created a new format to try and emulate the success of the IPL. The have forced it through and have paid a lot to the counties to join in, as none of the counties were prepared to let the 20/20 be set up in this fashion. Franchised teams, auctions for players and on normal TV.

The Royal London 50 over comp is running too with the counties, with basically 2nd teams playing. The better English players are now off to bubbles for the test series. Overall I think the ECB and counties need to work out how they can really survive and get people playing all formats of this great game!! Feels one competition too many, but I don’t think it’s the worst one. A big challenge to sort out. Counties won’t stop the Blast as it’s the money spinner for most of them that makes them solvent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I've struggled to see the point of it. When I used to go to Trent Bridge to watch a T20 match (pre-pandemic) it would be packed to the rafters. Pop that on free-to-air television and you're good to go.

Apparently T20 is now too esoteric for the average Englishperson. Really? It manages to be huge in India and Australia, but it is too 'long and complicated' for us?

Well, yes, maybe cricket has become a bit elitist here. That has not been helped by the fact it has been on subscription TV for such a long time. Sure, cricket got the £££ from Sky, but it lost a lot of audience.
    Think my thoughts echo yours! Cricket for the 21st century where attention spans are measured in seconds!

Master
    Thought I would struggle with the point next to T20 but thoroughly enjoying it and if it brings glamour, showbiz and children that is great.

But where has the word batsman gone (notice Tuffers said it once today) and I notice it is a “match hero” now.

Watched it for the first time today, fast paced and enjoyable to watch but what the hell is with the 70s graphics from an 8 bit game, found them really irritating wasting screen space on both sides.

Not a fan.

I'm a traditionalist and love a test match and I also quite enjoy T20's but this latest iteration seems to be a razzmataz step too far.
    Last edited by Neil.C; 2nd August 2021 at 13:33.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

There are two things I find very easy to avoid; Rap Music and Cricket and the 100 advertising combines the two!

More seriously, given the way it's marketed, is there anyone under 25 who want to comment if they've become suddenly interested in watching cricket?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Journeyman

Thumbs up Hundred

I play cricket, love cricket, but really not a fan of the hundred. Far too much bling.
    And don@t get me started on KP as a commentator!!!

Master
    I play every Saturday and i am a test match fan, but will watch any form really. Im off to the oval next Sunday. I feel like the batting
    Team do not know quite how to approach it yet. Shorter overs etc

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Not a fan of cricket, so sadly not a fan of this. I think it's taking hours and hours of terrestrial TV away for nothing, I'd be gutted if I didn't have sky.

I'll watch the 20/20 if it's on, but this new format - designed to bring cricket to the level in the UK that the IPL has in India - won't work. Its not suddenly going to bring in millions of new viewers to a sport they don't like however much they try to jazz it up and americanise it.

For me, Test matches are mind numbingly boring, 20/20 is watchable because its over quickly. The Hundred sits squarely in the middle. I can't see it getting the traction it needs.

I'm pleased for the cricket fans of course, but the advertising they have done is clearly trying to generate an excitement that I don't think is there.

Two years after that post and I've been dragged along to watch Manchester Originals. Been here since 10.30, womens match was cancelled due to rain, the men's is stop/start.
    I stick with my original opinion, cricket is shite. still, the beer is good.

I watch it and I enjoy it. But if it disappeared tomorrow and I was watching and enjoying a T20 I wouldn't bemoan the fact that it wasn't the hundred.
    It is a format that encourages me to watch and enjoy women's cricket though which is a good thing.

I was at Lord's on Wednesday for the London derby. Woman's game washed out but got the full men's game.

Went down to the last ball so was pretty exciting.

It's great to get families and younger kids introduced to the game, you get some drama and a result.

Ticket prices very reasonable - £35 for an adult, whereas a day at Lord's for the test is what £150?

Surprisingly there was a punch up on Wednesday amongst fans as we exited the ground. Quite shocking with so many young families around, blood and teeth flying everywhere. Don't expect that at cricket and certainly not Lord's.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Ok but really hate the graphics showing the score

We've been going since it started, will probably make three of the Lords matches this year and it's a lot of fun but speaking to people involved in county cricket, they reckon it'll be dead in a couple of years.
    Apparently, when the ECB developed the T20 game they didn't bother copywriting / franchising it so make no money from the IPL or any of the other myriad of T20 competitions springing up. The Hundred was an attempt to come up with something they could sell worldwide but as the T20 format is so successful no one wants it. The ECB head who was behind the Hundred has now gone and the replacement is less inclined to keep propping it up. The counties hate it as well as they lose their best players for the whole of August and the players aren't that fussed as all the wages are capped so there's no IPL-style goldrush.
    It does, however give some great finishes... the Oval vs Braves match last night finished a tie after a massive six and a near run out in the last set....

Only really interested in test cricket personally and the recent Ashes showed that the 5 day format still provides plenty of excitement.

T20 and the hundred sacrifice all the nuance and tension for fireworks. Like a longest drive competition compared to golf major or an instagram reel compared to a feature film.

IMHO of course.

Master
    I’m a fan, it’s also of a format that my wife will happily go and watch, especially the double headers with the women’s and men’s games running on the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Been here since 10.30, womens match was cancelled due to rain, the men's is stop/start.
    I stick with my original opinion, cricket is shite.
    I find it baffling that we, The English, have created an outdoor game that can't be played in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Only really interested in test cricket personally and the recent Ashes showed that the 5 day format still provides plenty of excitement.

T20 and the hundred sacrifice all the nuance and tension for fireworks. Like a longest drive competition compared to golf major or an instagram reel compared to a feature film.

IMHO of course.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

The Hundred has had some successes - notably with regards to the Womens' Game and getting cricket back on to free to air tv. However, there's no doubt overall it has been a, predictably, failed idea. It really only works financially if the idea gets picked up globally, and it hasn't. Introducing new franchises at the same time as a new format will leave most fans perplexed as to which team to support. No Glamorgan players or Welsh players in Welsh Fire - are the locals expected to engage with that team any time soon? The way the tournament lands in the middle of the season - while the counties play in the One Day Cup tournament - brilliantly seems to degrade both tournaments at the same time. Let's face it outside of test cricket the ECB constantly fuck things up. The ongoing tinkering with all the county cricket competitions, formats and calendar at the same time as prioritising central contracts has hollowed out the county game. I'm a cricket fan but at the start of every season I have to sit down and work out when each competition is running and why. For instance, the county championship starts, then disappears for the T20, then reappears for a couple of games, then disappears again and finally will reappear again at the fag end of the season for the final three games. And people are supposed to care about the result?

The Hundred was an idea that was devised by marketing and finance powerpointers with no real understanding of what is unique about the game of cricket and no doubt it will be killed by them too.