closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Induction v ceramic?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I have a similar decision to make, I’m on the verge of having my kitchen refurbished and the choice of hob has yet to be agreed. Traditionally I prefer gas for the hob and electric for the oven but Mrs W is favouring an induction hob because her friends have them. The ideal solution for me would be a mixed gas/ induction hob.......I assume they don’t exist?
    Everything exists these days:
    https://www.wickes.co.uk/AEG-90cm-In...100NB/p/206423

Induction all the way. I never thought I would ever change from a gas hob, I have fitted, repaired and serviced hundreds over the years and was a complete gas hob advocate.

We had a new kitchen fitted a few years ago and I allowed myself to be persuaded to change to a NEFF induction hob.

It’s amazing, I’m a complete convert and would not go back.

Is magnetisation of watches a problem in normal use?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I have a similar decision to make, I’m on the verge of having my kitchen refurbished and the choice of hob has yet to be agreed. Traditionally I prefer gas for the hob and electric for the oven but Mrs W is favouring an induction hob because her friends have them. The ideal solution for me would be a mixed gas/ induction hob.......I assume they don’t exist?
    Paul go induction, you can control it like gas. Gas has only about 60% efficiency whereas induction is in the 80% + range because it only heats the contact area. Boils water very fast. We don't use an electric kettle anymore, on 'boost' mode it's way quicker.
    Cleans with a wipe too.

Grand Master
    At the risk of sounding sentimental I’ve got some nice aluminium cooking pots that I’m quite attached to.......sad but true!

Craftsman
    With induction hobs, do spillages/ splashes get burnt on and become hard to clean? Also, does the 'glass' surface get scratched after significant use? I had one in a holiday let and it was nightmare...

Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    With induction hobs, do spillages/ splashes get burnt on and become hard to clean? Also, does the 'glass' surface get scratched after significant use? I had one in a holiday let and it was nightmare...
    No, we've never had anything burnt on.
    I can't see any scratches either after 5years cooking. (Siemens)

Blog Entries
    The house we moved into last November had (has) a brand-new kitchen with induction. It works perfectly, cooking-wise that is. Having said that, I'm not happy with the way the controls work. The design of the touch pad (it's a German brand induction plate) that's used for adjusting the 'heat' is too cumbersome. But that's a design flaw and has essentially nothing to do with the pros and cons of induction. But it's something you should check out before buying a new unit.

A few weeks back, we rented a beach house north-west of Amsterdam. The kitchen had an induction plate as well. The glass plate was damaged: chipped at one side. Many years back we had a ceramic plate that stayed unmarked for years, no chips off etc. My wife remembered that the ceramic in the past had a metal square around the glass surface. Anyway, the damaged/chipped induction (with no metal square) remembered us about the possibility of damaging the induction glass plate.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 2nd August 2021 at 22:41.

Siemens use Schott Ceram glass, very difficult to damage. The glass goes through a lot of rigerous tests like dropping a 2lb pan on it from 15cm. You'd have to be pretty clumsy to break it in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    A few weeks back, we rented a beach house north-west of Amsterdam. The kitchen had an induction plate as well. The glass plate was damaged: chipped at one side. Many years back we had a ceramic plate that stayed unmarked for years, no chips off etc. My wife remembered that the ceramic in the past had a metal square around the glass surface. Anyway, the damaged/chipped induction (with no metal square) remembered us about the possibility of damaging the induction glass plate.

Menno
    We've had 'glass' top gas hobs with and w/o the metal trims. Do look slicker w/o trim but the edges are more prone to chipping.

Any spillages which aren't wiped off at the time and become 'burnt on' can be shifted with a razor-bladed scraper.

My kitchen rip-out and refit starts Monday next week, after some deliberation between staying with gas or going with induction I've chosen the latter. I haven't used induction before though that's what I've chosen on the recommendation of friends and that it'll be soooo much easier to keep clean, I've got a 5 zone (for flexibility) and metal edged (to prevent chips, that'd erk me big time should it happen) Siemens already waiting to be wired to the consumer unit. All my pots and pans are compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Siemens use Schott Ceram glass, very difficult to damage. The glass goes through a lot of rigerous tests like dropping a 2lb pan on it from 15cm. You'd have to be pretty clumsy to break it in my opinion.
    Prior to the Bora we have now we had a siemens flex, we only had it for a year before we did the kitchen (the DeDietrich that we had for 20 years had failed and they are now gone) anyway, the Siemens had acquired several chips around the edges and we are fairly careful and don't bang things around.

The Bora hobs are very good and have built in extraction.

You can get the worktop people to cut a step around the hob to make it flush, so impossible to chip and looks better, I wish I had thought of this before I did my kitchen, obviously not on chipboard or MDF.
    Last edited by adrianw; 3rd August 2021 at 08:29.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Have to admit, we have induction and I still prefer gas to cook on, but induction is a very close second and when you factor in how easy it is to clean it's an easy winner in a home setting.

We bought a set of stainless steel pans with aluminium core (Stellar?) the the combination with induction is so good I'd never use anything else again. We added an IKEA steel base non stick frying pan (cheap enough to replace when non stick is past it) and Le Creuset cast iron griddle & casseroles and most bases are completely covered.