closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Induction v ceramic?

Induction v ceramic?

Apologies...this could well turn out to be world's most boring thread.

However, it's new kitchen time and induction v ceramic is a burning question...(see what I did there?)

We really don't want to replace all our pans, we have a fair few, unless induction really is a vast improvement. There are clearly some evangelists around, but I don't trust anyone who gets steamed up about hobs...(another one!). So has anyone on here changed from ceramic to induction? Was it worth it? What have your experiences been? Are they really all they're cracked up to be?

Many thanks...

Induction every day of the week; once you’ve used it, you’ll never go back.

It has the instant control of gas with the cleanliness of ceramic.

Most pans these days are suitable for use with ceramic too, you’ll probably find that most, if not all of your pans will work on an induction hob.

Induction without a doubt, Bora if the budget runs to it

Oh, and changed from ceramic to induction 20 years ago.

Master
    Induction for sure, but you'll probably find that NONE of your pans will work and will need to be replaced.
    Also be very aware of the size of the base of the pan my big ones heat up in seconds, my small ones would be quicker on a log fire.

We are 4 years into ownership of a Rangemaster Pro “Induction”….i have to say having done gas , halogen , electric etc etc….it is for us head and shoulders above….

Agree with others pan choice is key to getting best out of it..

But the ability to regulate heat so quickly is fabulous once you get used to it….

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Induction for sure, but you'll probably find that NONE of your pans will work and will need to be replaced.
    Also be very aware of the size of the base of the pan my big ones heat up in seconds, my small ones would be quicker on a log fire.
    We are moving to induction when the kitchen is done. Anything modern pan wise seems fine, my pans from 20yrs ago don’t work, which is great as due an upgrade.

Slightly miffed i need a new consumer unit to allow the amps required as ours is ancient and full.

Craftsman
    Agree with all the above.
    Your pots and pans will need to be:
    Ferro-magnetic, check with a small magnet.
    Have a flat bottom, though I think you can get special models for woks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Had induction at the last place and a rangemaster here. When the rangemaster dies or the kitchen is done it'll be back to induction.

My mate has an induction hob, him and his wife have tried loads of different pans but the thing seems to have no oomph.

Even making pancakes is a hassle. Everything comes off it boiled, rather than fried. He called a guy out who says it's working as intended. It's just pants.

It is better than ceramic though.

I'll be on gas for as long as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    My mate has an induction hob, him and his wife have tried loads of different pans but the thing seems to have no oomph.

Even making pancakes is a hassle. Everything comes off it boiled, rather than fried. He called a guy out who says it's working as intended. It's just pants.

This doesn’t sound right at all, our induction is immense, it is faster than our outgoing gas hob to boil a pan of water and so simple to clean! To me it’s a no-brainier…

Master

Something wrong with it then. We’ve always had gas but moved house which has a Miele Induction hob and it’s vicious on the top setting. Our previous Neff gas hob could never simmer low enough, the induction can and is just as instantly controllable

Journeyman
    Another vote for induction. Another point is it is really safe for children. Cools down much quicker than ceramic and won’t do anything if a child turns it on with no pan on it!

It boils water as quickly or quicker than a kettle but can also be turned down very very low. Would not go back to anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blimey...what are we up to? 10-1 for induction? I'd call that a comprehensive win. Many thanks everyone.

Get an induction, but make sure you get a higher rated one, ie one which needs its own hard-wired dedicated wired supply, NOT one which can run off a 13 amp plug.

Often the ones which can run off 13 amp plugs can suffer with the lack of grunt as guinea describes in his post. The problem is usually worse when using several rings at once, as they are not quite up the job with such a small power supply.

HTH

Yep, induction, quick, clean, and energy saving. Best hob I've had. I bought the Siemens.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Get an induction, but make sure you get a higher rated one, ie one which needs its own hard-wired dedicated wired supply, NOT one which can run off a 13 amp plug.

Often the ones which can run off 13 amp plugs can suffer with the lack of grunt as guinea describes in his post. The problem is usually worse when using several rings at once, as they are not quite up the job with such a small power supply.

HTH
    Any electric hob should run off a 40amp supply whilst ovens can run off 13amp.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We bought a house with an induction hob. Love it - instant response to inputs and easy to keep clean. All our pots and pans work with it (they are mostly quite new and inexpensive, but were bought for a gas hob)

Craftsman
    We swapped from ceramic to induction 3 years ago, superb, no more turning the heat down and it carries on boiling. Induction works just like gas for instant control.
    We had Prestige stainless pots and pans for 20 odd years and they were still perfect condition but just wouldn't work with induction unfortunately.

We have an induction Aga - it has its own uprated power supply and can take a pan of cold water to boiling in less than sixty seconds.

It’s an amazing piece of kit as cookers go.

It’s also very easy to keep clean and superior in every way to gas or any other oven and hob type.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Any electric hob should run off a 40amp supply whilst ovens can run off 13amp.
    Comes with its own plug, rated at 13 amp. Hence my post.

https://www.johnlewis.com/neff-t36fb...black/p3167459

Regarding pans, if they are magnetic they will work.

Master

Thanks for that. Just checked and the one I have chosen for the new kitchen is 32A, so all good.

Master

Has he got a 10mm feed with correct circuit breaker?
    We have a 110 rangemaster I think it can draw 50a + on full load.
    Ours can boil a large pan of water quicker than the 3kw kettle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Thanks for that. Just checked and the one I have chosen for the new kitchen is 32A, so all good.
    Great stuff.
    Not all induction hobs are equal!

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Has he got a 10mm feed with correct circuit breaker?
    We have a 110 rangemaster I think it can draw 50a + on full load.
    Ours can boil a large pan of water quicker than the 3kw kettle.
    50 amps, I think you may have misread that, 12000 watts

Crazy; it’s says it’s 3.7kw which my rudimentary physics tells me is a 15-16amp draw yet supposedly is rated at 13amps.

There’s something wrong there.

I’m not saying that you are wrong, you clearly aren’t, just that there’s something amiss with their figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Crazy; it’s says it’s 3.7kw which my rudimentary physics tells me is a 15-16amp draw yet supposedly is rated at 13amps.

There’s something wrong there.

I’m not saying that you are wrong, you clearly aren’t, just that there’s something amiss with their figures.
    Think the way it works is that the individual plates my add up to 3.7kW but unlikely to all be on max at once and if they are will be automatically throttled back.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Think the way it works is that the individual plates my add up to 3.7kW but unlikely to all be on max at once and if they are will be automatically throttled back.
    That’s not how it works, the individual elements are over rated and then a diversity factor is applied, usually 30%, saying that, if the hob comes with a plug it be will be rubbish, nowadays they should be on their own circuit and protected with an RCBO exactly the same as an oven.

I got very frustrated when I did my kitchen last year, two Siemans ovens both rated at 7.2kw, so provided RCBO protected supply’s 10 mm cable, and when I took the covers off to connect up the main wring inside is 2.5mm.

Master
    Just recently had a Bosch induction put in our kitchen and it is phenomin... phenomen... phen..... chuffin' great! Until you are used to it, don't walk away from it! They are sooooo fast and yet soooo easy to control. (when you are there!)

Craftsman
    We have a Bosch 900 induction hob which was swapped from gas.
    Best move we ever did.
    Safe and very controllable.
    As stated best with a decent high powered one on its own feed.
    We have even bought a portable 2 ring one for Static van instead of the gas hob.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Just recently had a Bosch induction put in our kitchen and it is phenomin... phenomen... phen..... chuffin' great! Until you are used to it, don't walk away from it! They are sooooo fast and yet soooo easy to control. (when you are there!)
    Phenomenal do do do do do (muppets)

Craftsman
    Induction all day long!

Induction. 100%

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Regarding pans, if they are magnetic they will work.
    Yes they will....but the more ferrous content the better the performance.
    Those suffering with lower power need to look at the quality of their pans....it usually fixes it.

Another vote for induction.

Our current and previous property had one fitted, both with separate supplies.

The Siemens hob we have at the moment is Oooomph-tastic. More grunt than our old gas wok burner on full pelt!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    My biggest fear - my wife has 2 settings on gas, off or flat out. Combined with the new Scanpan saucepans I’m ordering she could destroy them in weeks, perhaps days....well reality is months as I cook unless we eat out, she may make dessert but that’s it. Happy that way.

Master
    Got Siemens Induction and work great with most pans .
    I have had the glass crack before and replaced that myself and I think it was about £300 for the new glass.
    After the hassle of cleaning gas hobs for years it's so easy with induction.

Master
    50 amps, I think you may have misread that, 12000 watts

12000 watts or 12kw divided by 230 = 52 amps.

Ours is good distance from consumer unit, the length of cable needs to be taken into consideration.

ELECTRICAL CONNECTION INFORMATION
    Total Connected Load (kW) 16.1
    Fuse Rating (A) 45

Christmas Day when everything is in use I don’t want to be in the garage putting the trip back

Craftsman
    Another vote for induction. Definitely the best choice. Have had a Neff 8n my previous place and Bosch in my current house. I think the Neff may have been quicker to boil but the Bosch has Flexi zones which makes it dead handy for using large le creuseut pots.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Ours is good distance from consumer unit, the length of cable needs to be taken into consideration.

Fuse Rating (A) 45

Christmas Day when everything is in use I don’t want to be in the garage putting the trip back
    The main fuse for a single phase house is usually 60 or 100 amp so assuming 100 A this is still half the household possible draw ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, interesting, so many induction fans.

I'm buying a new build house at the moment which has neff appliances fitted, including an induction hob.

to be honest I was thinking of ripping to whole lot out asap and installing a decent gas hob and improved design of kitchen.
    Maybe I am being hasty.

My only experience with induction is as a professional chef over 20 years ago when it was just coming out. Back then the only advantages I saw were slightly cooler kitchens and that I could no longer set light to tea towels by accident, other than that I have always been a huge fan of gas. I designed new kitchens for S&N and used to train chef's for a living, and I never even contemplated bothering with induction.

I will look forward to being proved wrong, but I am still sceptical.
    At least all my pans will work though as I haven't bought anything except stainless steel or enameled cast iron since I was 17 and am still using those original pans after almost 30 years.

Halogen/ceramic, no thanks, it's absolute crap and I absolutely hate it if I'm staying anywhere where that's all there is.

Fuse Rating (A) 45

I’m curious what hob is it?

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Induction all the way having used gas and ceramic, especially if you have boost mode.

Be aware that if you have a pacemaker fitted, you could experience problems unless you keep a safe distance away from the hob.

People who don’t know, try the paper trick with a pan of boiling water.

B

Master
    I currently have induction. Far better than ceramic but I prefer gas. Induction is certainly convenient and easy to clean but you can’t beat the simplicity and control of gas. To get gas piped to my kitchen is more work than I’m willing to do currently, so I’m sticking with induction.

Admittedly not as slick as induction but a modern glass-topped gas hob isn’t a great chore to keep clean.

Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post

People who don’t know, try the paper trick with a pan of boiling water.

B

Might need you to explain that!
    So clever my foot fell off.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

Induction v ceramic?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Might need you to explain that!
    Place a piece of plain paper under a pan and place a pan on top of the paper and fill the pan with around 5mm of water and heat. As soon as the pan starts to boil the water remove the pan and paper and you will see it’s unmarked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mHQ7ITLRr8

B
    Last edited by bomberman; 31st July 2021 at 10:08.

I do the ice cube trick where you partially boil the pan of water not fully covering the cooking area and put an ice cube on the uncovered part.... amazes people.

Master
    I’m curious what hob is it?
    One like this, https://markselectrical.co.uk/101550...ge-Cooker.html

Bottom line of page 39 - 16kw max load.

https://www.rangemaster.co.uk/sites/...%5BGB%5D_0.pdf

Appliance City recommended 10mm 45a https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...sgTCg2dHvIJ1GR

My electrician recommended 10mm - I like to do a job once as buy cheap pay twice springs for mind.

10mm Also future proof capable of 61a.

One like this, https://markselectrical.co.uk/101550...ge-Cooker.html

Bottom line of page 39 - 16kw max load.

https://www.rangemaster.co.uk/sites/...%5BGB%5D_0.pdf

Appliance City recommended 10mm 45a https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...sgTCg2dHvIJ1GR

My electrician recommended 10mm - I like to do a job once as buy cheap pay twice springs for mind.

10mm Also future proof capable of 61a.
    So a cooker, not a hob
    Last edited by adrianw; 31st July 2021 at 17:59.

Grand Master
    I have a similar decision to make, I’m on the verge of having my kitchen refurbished and the choice of hob has yet to be agreed. Traditionally I prefer gas for the hob and electric for the oven but Mrs W is favouring an induction hob because her friends have them. The ideal solution for me would be a mixed gas/ induction hob.......I assume they don’t exist?