closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Garden Verandah Roof Advice

Garden Verandah Roof Advice

Hi All

We are considering having a verandah installed on the back of our house.

The main question I have is about roof material type. The cheaper option is 16mm polycarbonate sheet but I have heard that these can be very noisy in the rain? Does anyone have experience of this and does glass make enough difference to warrant the extra outlay?

Thanks in advance 👍

Master
    We don’t have a veranda but we have had a car port installed recently and the roof is polycarbonate. When it rains you can hear it all right!
    We don’t mind as we aren’t sitting under it. On the other hand it’s a good way to tell if it is raining.

I find rain on glass rather relaxing, but rain on polycarbonate a right racket! That could though, be down to how they're installed, with more effort put into mounting the glass than the poly?

Craftsman
    I constructed a 3m x 4m timber frame and roofed it with clay tiles at 15 degrees. There is no underlay so from underneath you look at the bottom of the tiles and battens. so it looks nice and mediterranean/rustic.

The cost was less than then the most basic aluminium and polycarbonate kit.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikoking View Post
    Hi All

We are considering having a verandah installed on the back of our house.

The main question I have is about roof material type. The cheaper option is 16mm polycarbonate sheet but I have heard that these can be very noisy in the rain? Does anyone have experience of this and does glass make enough difference to warrant the extra outlay?

Thanks in advance 
    I've done similar, but have gone for 6mm thick polycarbonate, "clear as glass", which is solid polycarbonate, rather than the multi-ply.

It's just like glass, and the noise is similar. The multi-ply cheaper stuff, makes a right racket though.

Thanks for all the input and guidance.

We opted for a 8mm laminated glass option and placed an order today. The supplier we were using didn’t offer any solid poly options and the cost difference, whilst significant, wasn’t as much as we thought it might be.

I’ll post up pic when the install is complete just in case any one is interested!

Cheers