closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Spam emails from 'my own' address

Spam emails from 'my own' address

A question for the tech-savvy on here if I may.

I have started to receive regular spam emails which are from the usual numerous random email addresses formed of numbers and letters, but their 'email address description' is pretending it is coming from my own email address, ie the address looks like this:

Maysies Correct Email Address <totalspamgibberish@gmail.com>

I assume others are getting these emails too, which I feel reflects badly on me - particularly if the recipient thinks it is somehow linked to me sending them, or initiating the spam.

Is there any way to stop it happening?

Just to be clear, these are not coming from my own account, they are just pretending that I have sent them by adding my own address as the address description. I hope that makes sense.

TIA

Yep, been getting this sine lockdown 2020 started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short answer - no, there's nothing that you can do about it.

The RFC822 headers contain both a FROM: and a SENDER: field, and the spammers are exploiting this to populate the same information into the FROM: field as they have put in the TO: field.

As a snail-mail analogy, a spammer could post letters with your name/address printed on the back of the envelope as the "sender"; you wouldn't be able to prevent it.

Thanks for the replies.

These spamming scumbags really are very annoying.

Craftsman
    I’ve been getting spam emails from myself for about 18 months or so, annoying yes but I just delete without opening.
    The other recent development is spam phone calls, usually combining parts from numbers in your contacts list. I’ve had the first five numbers of my Mobile number combined with my dads landline, a quick glance at the screen and you are easily fooled into answering it.
    Scary how scammers can manipulate technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post
    The other recent development is spam phone calls, usually combining parts from numbers in your contacts list. I’ve had the first five numbers of my Mobile number combined with my dads landline, a quick glance at the screen and you are easily fooled into answering it.
    Scary how scammers can manipulate technology.
    Similar here - I've been receiving spam phone calls from numbers that are very similar to my own. I'm not sure what the point it though as I know fine well that I'm not phoning myself and it actually puts me on my guard when I see the similar number.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Similar here - I've been receiving spam phone calls from numbers that are very similar to my own. I'm not sure what the point it though as I know fine well that I'm not phoning myself and it actually puts me on my guard when I see the similar number.
    You're probably an exception.

People are much more likely to answer a call if it (appears to) come from their local area, or from a number similar to their own. Hence the spammers - who are using VOIP, and can appear to call from any number that they want - have started to use CLIP numbers which are local or similar to the called number.

Master
    Gmail is usually quite good at detecting this sort of spoofing.

YOu may be able to define a filtering rule where 'From' and 'To' address are the same, then move to Spam

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Gmail is usually quite good at detecting this sort of spoofing.

You may be able to define a filtering rule where 'From' and 'To' address are the same, then move to Spam
    My hosting company is pretty good at sorting these as spam, none have got into my actual inbox yet.
    What I was really trying to achieve was to stop these spam emails being sent to others from 'my looky-likey' email address, as it reflects badly on me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    You're probably an exception.

People are much more likely to answer a call if it (appears to) come from their local area, or from a number similar to their own. Hence the spammers - who are using VOIP, and can appear to call from any number that they want - have started to use CLIP numbers which are local or similar to the called number.
    If the number ain’t on my list, or one I recognise, it’s ignored, on the home phone numbers not in the accepted list are asked to ‘announce themselves’ before it rings, none do, if on the mobile if it were important, then the caller would leave voicemail.
    I often get 4 or 5 random calls from various parts of the country which I ignore, it then goes quiet for a week or so and then starts again, mail in the junk folder never gets opened and only looked through if I’m expecting mail that hasn’t arrived in the inbox, just in case.

Master
    >My hosting company is pretty good at sorting these as spam<

Do you have a registered domain along the lines of mycompany.co.uk? If so, check with whoever manages this to ensure the 'SPF' record is set correctly. With this set to indicate which service is authorised to send email using this domain, most email servers will quarantine or drop email from spoofers.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had quite a few, in fact hundreds over six months as said I never opened any just deleted them, eventually they stopped never had one in the last year.

I'm getting around 100 spam / junk e-mails per day, 60-70% from the same name with the same subject title, but different originating e-mail address. I presume it's just going to get worse, and there's zip-all I can do to stop it...

:(

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
    I'm getting around 100 spam / junk e-mails per day, 60-70% from the same name with the same subject title, but different originating e-mail address. I presume it's just going to get worse, and there's zip-all I can do to stop it...

:(
    If this is on your work email id look at Google apps for business. It's Gmail but for your own domain and will be much better at spam. Think it's about £30pa per user.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If this is on your work email id look at Google apps for business. It's Gmail but for your own domain and will be much better at spam. Think it's about £30pa per user.
    This adds to my theory that Google is largely responsible for sending these spam e-mails....

👿