closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You can't beat London.

Master

You can't beat London.

We used to frequently pop up to London before the pandemic and always booked a table for afternoon tea. You tend to do this when you hit 60+ with plenty of time on your hands. We always went to one of the good ones such as Fortnum & Masons, The Ritz, The Savoy, The Savage Garden, Oxo Tower, The Royal Lancaster and the Goring.

The Ritz was really the best with the Savage Garden also surprising good in a more relaxed way.

The shops in London are good, the theatres are good, as are the restaurants. We really miss our day trips up town.

Yesterday we decided to call in at a good hotel in the Cotswolds and what a disappointment. The basics where the same, sandwiches, scones and cakes but some how it just lacked the style and ambiance of the London places.

No doubt about it, a man who tires of London is tired of life.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    No doubt about it, a man who tires of London is tired of life.
    I’m the other side of that coin. If I was told I could never visit London again, it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest.

I love living in London (fortunate to live in a nice part).
    It’s the best city in the world.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’d hate to live in central London but I love to visit.

I’m about 40 mins on the rattler so a nice compromise.

A nice place to visit but...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I've been once 25 years ago (3-day interview), I got the job but turned it down (for a 50% pay cut in Scotland) - took an immediate dislike to the place. Sure I saw you Mick on that Savoy documentary?
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 28th July 2021 at 18:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post

This. I give it 18 months before all the Pandemic panickers who sold up to buy some house in Shropshire or whatever get bored to death and try and make a beeline back to the Capital

Master
    I loved my seven years in London. 1994-2002, they went by in a flash. I used to walk round the West End every Saturday. I haven't been for a while now, I must go back and do that again.

The Covent Garden Hotel is a nice place for afternoon tea.

I live about an hour away from London and that’s close enough for me. I have no interest in the place and am more than happy that those who love it have no interest in living where I do.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I lived and worked
    in London for forty years. It’s all about money. That’s it. Live in, say, Primrose Hill. Delightful. If you are a millionaire. Being poor in London means bad everything…….don’t romanticise what simply isn’t true. It’s a grim, tough, city. No pity. ‘Best city in the world’ ….dream on.
    Start with the cost of renting a flat.
    Last edited by paskinner; 28th July 2021 at 18:41.

I enjoyed working in London for about 15 years, but the thought of living there, rather than commuting didn’t appeal. Probably looking at the grim looking places that my train from Waterloo passed through on my way back to Hampshire put me off.

Still go back to the West End for regular social occasions (or rather did pre pandemic), but live there - no thanks.

While I have enjoyed living in a nice part of London for a number of years I will be moving out eventually possibly to the Cotswolds although will commute back 2 or 3 days a week for work.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I lived and worked
    in London for forty years. It’s all about money. That’s it. Live in, say, Primrose Hill. Delightful. If you are a millionaire. Being poor in London means bad everything…….don’t romanticise what simply isn’t true. It’s a grim, tough, city. No pity. ‘Best city in the world’ ….dream on.
    Start with the cost of renting a flat.
    There are no rose tinted specs on me, I know exactly what this city is like, good points and bad. It offers lots for everyone. Yes it costs to live here but that’s the same for any big city. It no more grim than the rough parts of other towns and cities such as Swindon or Bristol. In fact you could argue that the poorer parts of London are nicer than some of the smaller towns in other parts of the country. I would rather live in London than Bradford for example.
    It is the best city in the world in my opinion, others seem to agree by number of people that want to live here for one reason or another.
    I rented a flat when I was younger, saved up, bought my first flat etc. It’s doable, you just have to have a bit of focus on what you want (like anything in life). I have just turned 41 and I can’t see myself moving anywhere else.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 28th July 2021 at 19:04.

I've got to go there tomorrow, I'm not looking forward to it.

I've lived there and worked there full time, but as it is now? I'll take the middle of nowhere, which is where I'm from.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    ^^^ This ^^^

I always enjoy visiting - but I always enjoy leaving for home.

…plus I am always repulsed by the black gunk that results when I blow my nose having been in London for a few days.

z

Been visiting London for some 35 years now, I love the place.

Funny coming from a provincial coastal town of circa. 200,000 folks but big Alpha cities are simply my favourites: NYC, Hong Kong, Kiev, Paris, San Francisco... yup I'll take the hustle and bustle and full-on energy any day rather than looking at cows in a field, thank you.

Claridge's gets my vote for afternoon tea.

Blog Entries
    Really don't like the place. Always seems a bit 'grubby'.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    So what makes it better than any of the major cities you’ve lived in?

Master
    We are here right now - we love to visit the place. Everywhere you look there is fascinating architecture and history.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I’d hate to live in central London but I love to visit….
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    ^^^ This ^^^

I always enjoy visiting - but I always enjoy leaving for home.

That’ll be four of us now then…..

Master
    Mrs. Slamdoor loves living in London and was born here. Personally I’d be happy to never venture within the M25 ever again. I come from Bath - top city!

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    So what makes it better than any of the major cities you’ve lived in?
    If you don’t mind me answering…
    The convenience of restaurants, pubs, general social environments is a big plus for me. It’s so much more convenient than in other parts of the country. No planing ahead, just go and do it.
    Sports clubs likewise. My rugby club is 10 mins up the road, (the team I support and go to watch 30 mins, Twickenham is across the road from the club I support and I go to every England home game)
    Transport is great (we moan but it’s great) 35 mins on the tube an I am in the office. I would rather that reading a book, than sit on the motorway or drive in general especially at the hours I work. I almost always get a seat and it’s not crushed (7.30 - 17.00 so not crazy hours)
    I love museums, etc. I visit my favourites a few times a year. This is such an underrated part of London.
    Both sides of the family are very close (her side decided to move here from another part of the world)
    Meeting lots of people from all over the world is fantastic. I have lots of close mates who come from all corners. I might not have met them otherwise.
    All in all I love living in town and travelling out for my hobbies (which are country based) than the other way around.

But what Mick is talking about isn't really London, it's the West End - a microcosm of affluence and pretentiousness.

Real London is a city enjoyed by real Londoners, but we're not going to tell you where it is
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 28th July 2021 at 19:42.

Master

You can't beat London.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    But what Mick is talking about isn't really London, it's the West End - a microcosm of affluence and pretentiousness.

Real London is a city enjoyed by real Londoners, but we're not going to tell you where it is
    I tend to agree, West End is not really London London, very touristy and I rarely visit. Plenty of nice and interesting parts of the city as head out to north, south, east and west London (plus not so nice parts and everything in between)

That line made me think of 'The League of Gentlemen'

(Apologies)

We've lived in London and several other capital cities. They've all had their pros and cons and London certainly wasn't the best although Great Ormond Street and UCLH made it the right place at the time (although disabled access to public transport is woeful). I preferred living in Budapest, Washington DC and Singapore for differing reasons. E.g. the food in Singapore knocked London into a cocked hat.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

More succinctly put than I managed. ;-)

Master
    Can’t comment on living there as I never have, but as a city to visit, it’s a great place. We love going for a couple of days at a time and the pace of life there. So much to see and do. We’re been up twice this year already (my son is moving up so sorting accommodation etc) and have 3 nights there in August. Can’t wait.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I’m the other side of that coin. If I was told I could never visit London again, it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest.
    London born and bred..............and I couldn't agree with you more.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    We've lived in London and several other capital cities. They've all had their pros and cons and London certainly wasn't the best although Great Ormond Street and UCLH made it the right place at the time (although disabled access to public transport is woeful). I preferred living in Budapest, Washington DC and Singapore for differing reasons. E.g. the food in Singapore knocked London into a cocked hat.
    Give me Singapore every day of the week, amen!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    London born and bred..............and I couldn't agree with you more.
    You and me both was in the “ smoke” last WE for a Family do and when SWMBO turned off the M25 onto the A12 on the way home i said if i never went back again so be it.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

. E.g. the food in Singapore knocked London into a cocked hat.
    To be fair the food in Singapore beats pretty much anywhere. Maybe Bangkok comes close. I had many a great night in Singapore with plates of satay washed down with copious amounts of ice cold beer.

Enjoy a visit now and again
    Breakfast at Richoux, look around Jermyn street, Covent Garden etc
    Usually Glad to get home afterwards, just so many people
    A long way from the best city in the world IMO…
    Vancouver,munich, Innsbruck,Bern?

Best city? I'd rather be in Newcastle anytime, at least they talk to each other and are friendly. Amazing place. 😁

Master
    Yep the hawkers in Singapore are amazing! As are the people, the shopping centres, the attractions, Raffles, Marina Bay Sands and the Gardens - in fact all of it ….. even the airport!!

Oh and it feels the safest place I’ve ever been to.

I'm the same. A day trip to London is enough for me. Nice to go and see stuff and have a few beers with friends but happy to leave too. There are loads of cities I'd rather spend more time in.

We used to frequently pop up to London before the pandemic and always booked a table for afternoon tea. You tend to do this when you hit 60+ with plenty of time on your hands. We always went to one of the good ones such as Fortnum & Masons, The Ritz, The Savoy, The Savage Garden, Oxo Tower, The Royal Lancaster and the Goring.
    I like to take Mrs M up the Oxo tower when we're in London

Saw this today which made me laugh. I’m a northerner, don’t venture down south often - am now wondering what else I’m missing out on!

London is no better or worse than many of the cities I have worked in.

I rate the theatre scene in London particularly but thats mainly as have not been to many productions anywhere else in the world. I do also like the V&A - would love to say the one in Dundee is also good but it just isn't.

As for the rest of London life then its very 'meh' from my experience - plenty of good hotels, bars and restaurants in Europe, Asia and even just occasionally America. Lots of good shopping all over the world and even something called the interweb.

Japan is good fun generally and the cities and country side are something else. I had great fun many times in Taiwan and Hong Kong. Singapore is also a hoot. Oslo is a nice small city, Canada is a very nice big country.

London schmundon. Its ok - been there, done that! OK, i am a bit jaded with cities - so many lemmings all trying to live in the right place and wear the right clothes - all very cliched. I have my own much better cliche these days - semi retirement and a few beers now and again in whatever dress code I feel like in my back garden (when swmbo allows).

I'm glad the OP likes London , but take the blinkers off mate.

Admittedly I was fortunate enough to be paid to travel to (and a couple of times live and work in) these places, amongst others. To some extent was lucky to see these places as both tourist and temp resident - definitely recommended. All places are the same(in some ways good, some bad), all people are the same (some good, some bad) - thats really all life has taught me(it clearly has much yet to teach me about sentence structure).

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Yep the hawkers in Singapore are amazing! As are the people, the shopping centres, the attractions, Raffles, Marina Bay Sands and the Gardens - in fact all of it ….. even the airport!!

Oh and it feels the safest place I’ve ever been to.
    Agree with this, Hawkers food and Cobra ice cold beers, that chilli crab and those kebab stands outside the 4 floors haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worlds of difference between being a tourist and living and working somewhere, anywhere in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    Nice euphemism.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Nice euphemism.
    Bravo. I've been debating posting similar for fifteen minutes and chickened out!

Laughed so much when I first read it. In a wicked mood tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Agree with this, Hawkers food and Cobra ice cold beers, that chilli crab and those kebab stands outside the 4 floors haha.
    Tiger lah

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddes View Post
    …..All places are the same(in some ways good, some bad), all people are the same (some good, some bad) - thats really all life has taught me…
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Worlds of difference between being a tourist and living and working somewhere, anywhere in fact.
    Both very good points…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    Pandemic or no pandemic I very much doubt I’ll ever take my wife up the Oxo tower.

I have had a cup of tea in the Cotswolds and it was nothing to write home about, although I do live in the Cotswolds so a post-it note on the fridge would probably have been sufficient.

But as an exciting tourist visiting place (that’s what we’re talking about, not somewhere to live) I would probably choose New York. No idea what the afternoon teas are like there, but frankly who cares?

We really miss our day trips up town.
    I hope that it won’t be too long before you are able to enjoy another trip to London and good afternoon tea.

One of my favourites was St Anne’s church on Kew Green, a bike ride along the Thames path, refreshed for the return journey with a seat on the cemetery wall to watch the cricket, a cuppa with the finest homemade egg and cress sandwiches and lemon drizzle cake made by the ladies of the church.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tiger lah
    You are right, Heineken as well…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    One of my favourites was St Anne’s church on Kew Green, a bike ride along the Thames path, refreshed for the return journey with a seat on the cemetery wall to watch the cricket, a cuppa with the finest homemade egg and cress sandwiches and lemon drizzle cake made by the ladies of the church.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I hope that it won’t be too long before you are able to enjoy another trip to London and good afternoon tea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A lovely church (the mrs favourite in London) and great cricket ground just across the river from me.
    It’s a nice part of the world.

There is no right or wrong to what people look for in a place to live. If people like living in the middle of no where, that’s great. If they like living in the smoke good for them. I know what I prefer having lived in a few places, and I am happy with my choice.

Mick I hope you and your wife get to enjoy a few more day trips to the smoke soon.
    A little bit of what you enjoy is good for you. And there is nothing wrong with a good afternoon tea.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 28th July 2021 at 21:35.