closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Moon phase watch setting

Moon phase watch setting

I have just watched a youtube video explaining how to set a typical bosom moon phase complication on a watch. I thought that was fairly straight forward, so set my watch as per the video. I then saw another online site that said they showed a picture of a moon phase dial in today's setting (which was completely different to how I just set my watch).

Can someone please post a picture of a 'bosom' moon phase watch set correctly to today's date just so I can see what it should look like. Also, if anyone can point me in the direction of an idiot proof set of instructions for adjusting the moon phase that would also be most appreciated.

Thx

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Whats a Bosom “moonphase” ?
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Moon phase watch setting

If you’ve an iPhone (Android too?) try Moonphase Watch Calendar. If not, here’s screenshot just now

Imagine instructions will depend on your particular watch.

I always head to the Patek site where they have the current phase under the instructions and settings section. Google Patek moonphase and it should be the first result.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Here’s my JLC, taken a couple of minutes ago

Cheers,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Whats a Bosom “moonphase” ?
    Refers to the shape of the cut out on the sub dial where the moon is displayed.

Very helpful guys, you have confirmed that when I set the moon phase following the youtube tutorial it was correct. The other site I looked at is clearly wrong.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 97BlackC5 View Post
    Refers to the shape of the cut out on the sub dial where the moon is displayed.
    Thanks, never heard of that before. Every days a school day

From the web.

There are two basic types of watches with moonphase complications. The most common is known as a “bosom” moonphase watch, which takes a graphical approach by physically showing the moon in its various phases inside a crescent-shaped aperture. The other type is known as a “radial” moonphase watch, and it uses an indicator hand to track the lunar cycle”
    Cheers,

Ben

Blog Entries
    This

And this

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    This

Very nice indeed sir.

Knowing I'd never keep an auto running, I chose an HAQ for my moon phase watch.

A Moonphase seems to be an obvious choice for a Smiths watch!

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 29th July 2021 at 11:31.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

So, after you guys were kind enough to put me on the right track as to how to correctly adjust a moon phase watch. I thought it would be rude not to share a couple of quick picture's of the watch I have just purchased. Go easy on me fella's its hardly a JLC or Patek but it is extremely well put together, chronograph & moon phase complications, in house movement and fantastic value for money. The watch dates from 2008, sits very comfortably on the wrist & is in superb condition.

Picture's taken before I set the moon phase.....

You may very well see this watch again in tomorrows Friday thread (moon phase correctly set) lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Thanks, never heard of that before. Every days a school day

From the web.

There are two basic types of watches with moonphase complications. The most common is known as a “bosom” moonphase watch, which takes a graphical approach by physically showing the moon in its various phases inside a crescent-shaped aperture. The other type is known as a “radial” moonphase watch, and it uses an indicator hand to track the lunar cycle”
    Thinking about this representation, would be good if the moon was seen orientated as it is in the sky but imagine this is just too difficult!

I think that's very nice indeed and I always enjoy seeing a watch I've never seen before.

Enjoy it....and its moon :)

Quote Originally Posted by 97BlackC5 View Post
    So, after you guys were kind enough to put me on the right track as to how to correctly adjust a moon phase watch. I thought it would be rude not to share a couple of quick picture's of the watch I have just purchased. Go easy on me fella's its hardly a JLC or Patek but it is extremely well put together, chronograph & moon phase complications, in house movement and fantastic value for money. The watch dates from 2008, sits very comfortably on the wrist & is in superb condition.

Picture's taken before I set the moon phase.....

You may very well see this watch again in tomorrows Friday thread (moon phase correctly set) lol.