closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Retirement and a pleasant surprise during my trip to the Rolex AD

Retirement and a pleasant surprise during my trip to the Rolex AD

This week marks my 'retirement' from full-time employment having worked for around 26 years in schools and, for the last 20 years, at a Faculty of Education here in the north-west of England. I was able to benefit from a voluntary severance scheme that was implemented this year and finish formally on Friday. It feels great and I'm looking forward to investing more time in the development of my own music education business - UCan Play.

I've been planning a watch purchase to celebrate this moment and visited my local Rolex AD yesterday to chat through the options. I'm hopeful for something 'special' later this year but not entirely sure what it will be. Some kind of Daytona is at the top of the list. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, during our conversation a selection of watches were put in front of my wife and I for discussion including a brand new new/old stock Explorer II (the previous generation not the new release). The AD had been offered this by Rolex around the time of the new release and were told to find an 'appropriate' customer for it. At the end of our appointment I was really surprised to offered the chance to purchase this and, of course, it would have been rude to refuse! So, following a few financial bits of shuffling around next week, I'm really pleased to be able to pick this one up. Pics to follow in the appropriate incoming forum thread.

Master
    Congrats on you employed retirement, good luck in your own venture and congrats on a great watch too :-)

Craftsman
    Huge congratulations on the incoming and retirement. One chapter has closed and by the sounds of it a new one has opened….hope the Daytona arrives as well

Congratulations.

Work is way over-rated anyway.......

What colour dial did you agree to buy?

Master
    What a nice story and enjoy it when Friday comes

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Nice story, looking forward to the Friday thread.

Congratulations on your retirement . And the best of luck in your own venture . Hope you enjoy your new watch .

Nice (whichever colour)! Even better if you manage a Daytona later in the year too. Congratulations on your imminent retirement - I wish you well in the new music venture.

P.S. If I were local and a pupil, you may become tempted to change the name to "MostCan Play, But Ure A LostCause" [my wife and daughters are very musical, unfortunately not me].

Thanks for all the good wishes. Much appreciated. I'm only 52 so have a few more years of work on my own terms ahead.

As for the watch, it is the black dial which would have been my preference anyway if I had had a choice.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Nice (whichever colour)! Even better if you manage a Daytona later in the year too. Congratulations on your imminent retirement - I wish you well in the new music venture.

P.S. If I were local and a pupil, you may become tempted to change the name to "MostCan Play, But Ure A LostCause" [my wife and daughters are very musical, unfortunately not me].
    I'm strongly of the belief that everyone can do music in some way, shape or form. But, I've not met you so could be proved wrong lol.

Congratulations on both retirement and a nice incoming. Good luck with the business.

congratulations on your retirement, enjoy the watch:)

Of all the Rolex watches have owned, my (older model, black face) Explorer 2 is the one I miss the most. Subtle and comfortable.

Congratulations on the watch and the retirement. Quite a week!

Blog Entries
    Congratulations! Welcome to the, “you can now do something you want and not according to someone else’s timescales” club. It’s not retirement it’s the next phase! Good choice of watch too. Martyn
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Congrat’s on both mate….

Good luck with the music education business and double congratulations!

Congratulations on retirement, and what a nice find at the AD!

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing. I am looking forward to the photos!

Thanks again.

On the Daytona front, I had a lovely email from my AD outlining the options. They are the 116518LN (with any dial apart from the meteorite), or the 116505 with sunset dial and diamonds.

For the 116518LN, I really like the diamond set dial with the matt black finish and red accents.

Pictures below. Just wondering what your thoughts are about these two options. Given their price point, I do have to think about longer term financial values too, but in the short term this watch would be worn and enjoyed. Hopefully, either would prove to be a good asset financially.

Master
    Black would be only functional legible option for me.

Nice week to remember!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I think that I'm probably going to leave both these options. Neither are really singing to me at the moment. And I've just had news that the 5235R split regulator in rose gold is available from my Patek dealer. I think that's the one for me.

Master
    I like the top one with the rose gold bracelet. Also like that in the sun dust and black dial as well as the chocolate and black dial. Even the black and pink.

It’s whether you feel comfortable with a rose gold bracelet I guess. I’ve thought it through many times and hummed and harred over it - I’d say go for it :-)

Well earned.
    Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    Congrats, the explorer 2 polar 6 digit is an amazing watch. Probably one I most regret selling!

Craftsman
    The 5235R is IMO a real WIS grail in terms of what it represents.
    It’s a bold choice for sure. I tried one a while ago and was very impressed. At that price point, I would have to think very carefully about pulling the trigger

Well done on both retirement and bagging a NOS Explorer II, in all the versions I much prefer the black dial and if I had a chance it would be a 16550..

You obviously have a decent budget for the special watch but seem a little indecisive which is understandable, maybe enjoy the Exp II while taking your time deciding..

Did better than me today. Was told I needed a purchase history and even then I wouldn't be offered the one I actually want.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Well done on both retirement and bagging a NOS Explorer II, in all the versions I much prefer the black dial and if I had a chance it would be a 16550..

You obviously have a decent budget for the special watch but seem a little indecisive which is understandable, maybe enjoy the Exp II while taking your time deciding..
    Good advice. Thanks.

Are you dealing with Prestons in Wilmslow ?

Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    Are you dealing with Prestons in Wilmslow ?
    No.

Excellent news!

Enjoy your retirement and take your time to decide!

Congratulations on hitting a momentous milestone. Hope you have a long and healthy retirement. I’m sure your watches will fall into place.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app