closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hamtun watches - after sales?

Journeyman

Hamtun watches - after sales?

I bought a Hamtun Kraken when it was on kickstarter, the watch got really popular and the delivery shifted from Sept 2019 to Feb 2020. I didn't mind too much. Eventually received the watch (I had specced an SW200) and after a couple of days realised in was running at -30s/d which I though was a lot and put it back in the box. Finally got around to return the watch for adjustment to Ross Davis, owner of Hamtun in January this year and 10 weeks later, no sign of it and no more communication from Ross. Anyone has experience with Hamtun/Ross for repairs?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by behappier View Post
    I bought a Hamtun Kraken when it was on kickstarter, the watch got really popular and the delivery shifted from Sept 2019 to Feb 2020. I didn't mind too much. Eventually received the watch (I had specced an SW200) and after a couple of days realised in was running at -30s/d which I though was a lot and put it back in the box. Finally got around to return the watch for adjustment to Ross Davis, owner of Hamtun in January this year and 10 weeks later, no sign of it and no more communication from Ross. Anyone has experience with Hamtun/Ross for repairs?
    I read that he's had some personal issues recently or during the run up to the 2nd release which impacted on his delivery & customer service. Not sure if it's still ongoing though and I've not had one of his watches so can't comment from personal experience.

EDIT: Maybe I misread about personal issues. I read this review suggesting it was just due to overwhelming demand.... not sure where I picked up the personal stuff from or it was related to a different watch. https://twobrokewatchsnobs.com/hamtu...ut-labor-pain/

The comments section doesn't provide much hope though I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Kamakazie!; 18th March 2021 at 21:35.

When they first came out I purchased one and never received the extra strap,I got in touch and I was sorted out straight away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I was on the original Kickstarter and eventually gave up after all the delays. Took an age to get my money back, but I thought the success of the first campaign caught him off guard and he was just overwhelmed.

If he's still struggling with it all that's a bad sign.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    I was on the original Kickstarter and eventually gave up after all the delays. Took an age to get my money back, but I thought the success of the first campaign caught him off guard and he was just overwhelmed.

If he's still struggling with it all that's a bad sign.
    I've seen his is running his own consultancy https://dontdoanmba.com/

Had a couple of emails from Hamtun recently, apologising for delays &c. - one of which mentions "COVID and other sickness issues" in the family. Until recently Hamtun was a one man band (think his wife's helping-out now), and it seems to have been slooooooow even before COVID threw a spanner in the works. I gave-up trying to buy a watch yonks ago, put I understand that issues do eventually get sorted.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by behappier View Post
    I've seen his is running his own consultancy https://dontdoanmba.com/
    Hmmm... reading that did not fill me with confidence to be honest...

I think he's very good at design and he's raised a lot of money through Kickstarter, but I'm not sure I'd be taking his advice on how to run a company.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    Hmmm... reading that did not fill me with confidence to be honest...

I think he's very good at design and he's raised a lot of money through Kickstarter, but I'm not sure I'd be taking his advice on how to run a company.
    EspeciLly when considering the train wreck of the Hamtun 3 campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    EspeciLly when considering the train wreck of the Hamtun 3 campaign

Harsh. Do you know the circumstances? I do and I think the delays are for legitimate reason. Only a heartless person would not understand given the family issues he's gone through.

FWIW, OP, I have had a bit of disappointment with him too. Bought the H2 with a spare bezel on the proviso there'd be some sort of explanation of how to change it. He promised me privately too but no help/video/guide has been produced. Frustrating cos I'd prefer the watch on the 2nd bezel and probably wear it more often. Again, though, there's some horrible stuff he's dealing with so I can accept it. My personal view is you should too. The main thing Ross is guilty of is being slow to communicate. He is extremely busy though.

Master

Hamtun watches - after sales?

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    Harsh. Do you know the circumstances? I do and I think the delays are for legitimate reason. Only a heartless person would not understand given the family issues he's gone through.

FWIW, OP, I have had a bit of disappointment with him too. Bought the H2 with a spare bezel on the proviso there'd be some sort of explanation of how to change it. He promised me privately too but no help/video/guide has been produced. Frustrating cos I'd prefer the watch on the 2nd bezel and probably wear it more often. Again, though, there's some horrible stuff he's dealing with so I can accept it. My personal view is you should too. The main thing Ross is guilty of is being slow to communicate. He is extremely busy though.
    I do and I was more prone to accepting his reasons before seeing the website offering consultancy help after making millions in Kickstarter campaigns that have gone through without a hitch. Which clearly isn’t the truth

Last edited by Ar.parask; 20th March 2021 at 12:59.

Master
    Typical poor customer service of some microbrands in my experience. They don’t have the resources to react when something goes wrong.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post

I don't know what he is going through but when I told him about the issue I had with my H2, he told me to send it to his home address. If he is too busy and can't cope, he should say and have told me to find a local watchmaker, all I wanted was the watch to be adjusted. He is clearly taking on more than he can cope and not helping himself by doing so.

Master
    So, it seems that the website is down and he is not responding in any messages whatsoever.
    $250k scam….

Craftsman
    Seems to have disappeared a few months ago. I got a bit of a bad feeling when I backed the H2 but I think some of those actually delivered, it seems the H3 backers have lost their money.

At a guess I'd say he was overwhelmed and panicked himself into a bad situation rather than an outright scam, but who knows. It's been a bad few weeks for this kind of thing.

Master
    Company is still active on companies house. Strike off notice was issued but has now ceased so fingers crossed something may still happen.