closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: OMEGA SEAMASTER 300 M vs TUDOR BLACK BAY FIFTY-EIGHT

Apprentice

OMEGA SEAMASTER 300 M vs TUDOR BLACK BAY FIFTY-EIGHT

Need some serious help here guys, which of these should I get (and which would you get?) For some info, this watch will be worn purely on casual occasions.

OMEGA SEAMASTER 300 M (2004)

https://www.watchmaster.com/en/omega...ode=BZBUU0XPC1

TUDOR BLACK BAY FIFTY-EIGHT (2020)

https://www.watchmaster.com/en/tudor...ode=OLJ3OF8IRP

TUDOR HERITAGE BLACK BAY (2017)

https://www.watchmaster.com/en/tudor...ode=2TMRM28RM0

I prefer the Omega in almost every way, but the only thing that makes me aprehensive is the fact it's 17 years old, and much older than the other options. Is it worth it for the increase in quality over the Tudors?

For refrence this will be my first luxury watch, I've never spent more than £250 on a watch before now. Thanks for the help guys.

That Seamaster’s quartz.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    That Seamaster’s quartz.
    BB58 as a first luxury purchase would be super and has a timeless style. I would and did choose blue over the black as it doesn’t have faux aged milky lume so I think it will she better. Also, don’t pay over rrp as they can be had from dealers at rrp.

Why are you looking at that seller…the prices are ridiculous!

£2550 for a quartz Seamaster and £400 above RRP for a second hand BB58 that is easy to acquire new….ridiculous…who would waste their money like that?

To be honest, and this will possibly be viewed as heresy here, you're looking to spend 2 grand or so on a watch. Neither will be an investment piece, so just buy the one you like the look of more. At the end of the day, it is jewellery, a trinket for the wrist.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Why are you looking at that seller…the prices are ridiculous!

£2550 for a quartz Seamaster and £400 above RRP for a second hand BB58 that is easy to acquire new….ridiculous…who would waste their money like that?
    What about this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124809493...g7YJ0&LH_BIN=1

There is an expert here somewhere on the subject - Saintsxxxx. Hope he will opine.
    Personally prefer the BB58 from the options.

Ugh... please don't buy a random watch on eBay.

The Tudor BB58 is widely liked, is a solid all rounder and holds value well if you change your mind later. Available brand new at RRP from an AD, with a free watch winder as well. Below is the blue, someone already posted the black. Safe bet IMO.

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Tudor-B...001/p/17770761

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Ugh... please don't buy a random watch on eBay.
    I don’t think buying a watch from ebay constitutes random choice! The OP’s making a considered decision, he’s hardly choosing a watch on a random basis.

Frankly, I wouldn’t pay the current prices for ageing Omega SMPs, far too easy to buy a money pit, and that’s coming from someone who’s restored a few and likes them.

Craftsman
    Which of these would I buy? My personal choice would be the Black Bay 58. They’re readily available from AD’s at less than the price quoted in your link. The combination of timeless design and the benefit of buying a brand new watch without the headache of maintenance issue would swing the decision for me - especially it was to be my first luxury watch purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    There is an expert here somewhere on the subject - Saintsxxxx. Hope he will opine.
    Maybe he already has.

BB58 Blue, and get it new from the dealer of your choice, on the bracelet

Edit: I like the White dial Seamaster FWIW, but still the BB58 Blue

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by helidoc; 27th July 2021 at 20:59.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I don’t think buying a watch from ebay constitutes random choice! The OP’s making a considered decision, he’s hardly choosing a watch on a random basis.

Frankly, I wouldn’t pay the current prices for ageing Omega SMPs, far too easy to buy a money pit, and that’s coming from someone who’s restored a few and likes them.
    I disagree, the OPs history on this thread makes it pretty evident this isn't well thought through (why are we comparing vintage quartz Seamasters with new automatic Black Bays?), and I would not recommend he buy a 15 year old watch off a random eBay seller with limited, mixed feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I disagree, the OPs history on this thread makes it pretty evident this isn't well thought through (why are we comparing vintage quartz Seamasters with new automatic Black Bays?), and I would not recommend he buy a 15 year old watch off a random eBay seller with limited, mixed feedback.
    In fairness its not a random Ebay seller it is from a company I believe a few on here has used and have said is reputable. Although I would question the watch being in excellent condition!

https://subdial.co/collections/all/p...-300m-quartz-1

I do agree though that a new BB58 would be a better choice with the OP's name on the warranty card plus a full 5 year warranty.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 27th July 2021 at 21:30.

personally prefer the BB58 by far between those options. However, the new SMP300 (white dial) is another story...

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    personally prefer the BB58 by far between those options. However, the new SMP300 (white dial) is another story...
    Not that this was the OP but as someone who owns both I can tell you that I'd go BB58 (blue) all day long over the current white dial SMP. The BB58 is simply perfect in terms of dimensions. Unfortunately it's making some of my collection, including the SMP, feel a little bloated.

Craftsman
    out of the 3 the bb58 would be my choice. that old seamaster does nothing for me and i definitely wouldn’t go quartz

Quote Originally Posted by ellsy_79 View Post
    out of the 3 the bb58 would be my choice. that old seamaster does nothing for me and i definitely wouldn’t go quartz

^^^^this

I certainly would not be wasting close to 2k for a close to 20 year quartz watch.

If it was automatic version I would still hesitate unless you really want the Goldeneye James Bond look!

Master
    Doesn’t sound as if you’ve actually been to a shop and tried any of these on - might be an idea as these 3 will all wear very differently.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    Doesn’t sound as if you’ve actually been to a shop and tried any of these on - might be an idea as these 3 will all wear very differently.

Agree with this. Definitely try them on first before purchasing if at all possible. I was considering a BB58, but when I actually tried one on it didn't quite feel right for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Personally prefer the BB58 from the options.
    Yep he's the 'go to' guy for this sort of thing. He even got me out of summer school once.

Edit: my mistake, that was Ferris Bueller but they are similar type dudes!

Craftsman
    I would opt for the Tudor, you can get it new from a dealer with a 5 year warranty.

Master
    Whilst I really like the SMP 300, and have a quartz version myself, I think the one shown is much too expensive for what it is.

I bought mine new in 2012, later version, and list price at the time was £1500.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 28th July 2021 at 17:21.

Not this again.

Blog Entries
    Who was the guy who was asking the same kind of question - perhaps they are reincarnated?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Who was the guy who was asking the same kind of question - perhaps they are reincarnated?
    Saints2014? I think the OP has made his decision and bought a 38mm speedmaster, if he is indeed the same guy as on WUS. If not I apologise and buy what you like the most I say!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app