closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CYMA G10

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    ... I also think like modern day CWCs this was just sold as a civilian watch to Joe public and is not a military issued watch. A homage to CWC G10s perhaps. ...
    I wonder if this curiosity might support your interpretation? It appears to be a clunky homage to the 'dirty dozen' watch, but wrong in what can only be deliberate ways. Whether it was produced by anyone with the right to brand it 'Cyma' goodness knows. Certainly nothing remotely like it on Cyma's token website...

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I wonder if this curiosity might support your interpretation? It appears to be a clunky homage to the 'dirty dozen' watch, but wrong in what can only be deliberate ways. Whether it was produced by anyone with the right to brand it 'Cyma' goodness knows. Certainly nothing remotely like it on Cyma's token website...
    That is truly horrible. Japan does seem to be becoming the new China with some dreadful watches and some that are very clearly fakes being listed. Doing a heritage version of one of your earlier watches like CWC or Timor is one thing when they are done well, but I don’t believe CYMA would know anything about this watch. Come on, WWW engravings on a Quartz watch, someone is taking the p**s there.

There's some info on fe-shop-japan here https://www.thewatchsite.com/threads....321613/page-2

Come on, WWW engravings on a Quartz watch, someone is taking the p**s there.
    It's not unheard of…

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0822NX25Z/
    https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Regali...dp/B082462ST6/

…and doubtless many others.

Re the one on eBay. I’ve mentioned it before, but eBay failed in Japan. So if you see something on eBay as being from Japan, that listing is aimed at overseas buyers. Lots of legitimate shops here do have an eBay frontage to serve the overseas market, but equally, it can be a front for resellers fishing for whatever's “hot” overseas but “not” here - margin to be made.

In other words, don’t confuse what you see on eBay as from Japan as representative of what is popular here, it's entirely a frontage for the foreign buyer.

TT

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    There's some info on fe-shop-japan here https://www.thewatchsite.com/threads....321613/page-2
    …and indeed, that watch is being sold on Yahoo Auction here https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/q458849644 for ¥10,500 with no bids at present. That's about $91. The eBay re-seller doesn’t own it, but is making a decent markup if anyone bites.

Yes, I get that Japanese sellers will list stuff that they currently don’t own at twice the price someone else is listing it for. I saw that a lot when I was buying Seiko Alpinist watches from Buyee.jp. There are also a lot of altered or fake watches being listed, mid 70s Hamilton and CWC W10s etc. Some of these have been flagged up on MWR with a health warning.

Yes, I get that Japanese sellers will list stuff that they currently don’t own at twice the price someone else is listing it for. I saw that a lot when I was buying Seiko Alpinist watches from Buyee.jp. There are also a lot of altered or fake watches being listed, mid 70s Hamilton and CWC W10s etc. Some of these have been flagged up on MWR with a health warning.
    They needn’t be Japanese sellers, just someone who wants to arbitrage Yahoo Auctions for the unwary international buyer who only uses eBay.

Japan is a massive domestic market, with many models here that weren’t seen in Europe, but I am not sure that it has any more or less questionable watches for sale than any other nation. That Cyma for example, is being sold by a well known reputable and nationwide chain (bricks and mortar outlets in all big towns) that sells everything, including watches. There is a similar white dial model also on YA, at time of posting attracting a single bid of ¥1. The style is reminiscent of older hand wind small-seconds Cymas.

As a dealer, the seller is licensed like all such outfits here. Which means apart from their own risk in handling questionable goods, as a seller to them (I have used them many times) I have to provide my official ID and address. It would be the last place to go to offload anything questionable.

Anyway, I have a small selection of Cymas, all are quartz and seem to be around 20-30 years old or so, fitted with ETA movements just like my old CWC quartzes (I owned the G10 and Diver, both issued) and Omega Seamaster quartz. Quality seems fine, and in the case of the G10, indistinguishable from the CWC I owned. Though like a lot of ~30 year old watches, there is certainly some stylistically awful stuff around. But that’s the era, not the brand.

CYMA G10

Veering off topic but related to buying Hamiltons in Japan.

I bought this 1990s Hamilton Khaki 9415A from Japan. The 9415A is the civilian descendant of the MIL-W-46374D. I was really after the box for a Hamilton Khaki that I bought 30 years or so ago in the USA which I'm having serviced at the moment. I've also bought a new Hamilton strap and buckle for it at great expensive. I chucked box, papers and branded buckle out before I knew better.

I had planned to scavenge the box from the Japanese purchase and sell the 9415A to recover my costs.

Anyway, the watch is pristine with all the original papers and two unused nylon straps. I'm guessing it's unused NOS. It would be a shame to break it up so might keep it as it is. Probably in a drawer, I can't see me wearing it.

I thought not bad for about £150 plus £35 on import.

The Khaki I'm having serviced was bought 30 years ago. I reckon it was $220. Don't know why, it's a watch I'm very attached to and will never sell.

Last edited by BillyCasper; 7th March 2022 at 19:56.

…and indeed, that watch is being sold on Yahoo Auction here https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/q458849644 for ¥10,500 with no bids at present. That's about $91. The eBay re-seller doesn’t own it, but is making a decent markup if anyone bites.
    Nice spot of sleuthing, and interesting info regarding the finer points of Japanese e-commerce, thanks!

Craftsman
    Here's a similar find that I stumbled across on Ebay. Does anyone know if Ollech & Wajs ever issued this model to armed forces, or did they just swipe the design of the G10 dial for a "regular" release?

Quote Originally Posted by JimSclavunos View Post
    Here's a similar find that I stumbled across on Ebay. Does anyone know if Ollech & Wajs ever issued this model to armed forces, or did they just swipe the design of the G10 dial for a "regular" release?

Hi
    Nope O&W did not supply the UK or any other (to my knowledge) armed forces.
    They did however sell a lot of watches (90s/00s) with the broad arrow on the dial for some reason. There is the odd rumour / post on line saying they were prototypes but I don’t think they were, it was just a marketing thing.
    O&W did sell lots of watches to US troops in Vietnam as they were cheap and were sold via mail order in the Stars and Stripes magazines.

If you look at the case on this example, it is similar but it is not a G10, it has a screw down case back and different case shape. My guess is they made one that looked similar to the issued watches. They did the same with chronographs and submariners.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 20th June 2022 at 16:29.

Craftsman
    I thought as much, thanks for confirming.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Hi
    Nope O&W did not supply the UK or any other (to my knowledge) armed forces.
    They did however sell a lot of watches (90s/00s) with the broad arrow on the dial for some reason. There is the odd rumour / post on line saying they were prototypes but I don’t think they were, it was just a marketing thing.
    O&W did sell lots of watches to US troops in Vietnam as they were cheap and were sold via mail order in the Stars and Stripes magazines.

If you look at the case on this example, it is similar but it is not a G10, it has a screw down case back and different case shape. My guess is they made one that looked similar to the issued watches. They did the same with chronographs and submariners.

It's come to my attention that there is a scammer website listing a CYMA G10 for sale*.

I won't post the link, but suffice to say the photos are mine and of my watch as shown in this thread. Please do not engage with the “seller”.

TT

*It's not a watch-specific site. The website appears to have scraped thousands of items/descriptions so I presume every one of them is a fraud attempt. The website URL was registered a few weeks ago, and I suspect, will disappear soon. It's easy to set these up, taking the entire storefront look and feel from a genuine site or store, then redirecting the cart payment. I have reported it to Google as a scam site, hopefully they will remove it from their search results soon.

CYMA G10

It's come to my attention that there is a scammer website listing a CYMA G10 for sale*.
    Nice to hear from you again. I hope you and yours are good. Happy New Year
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Thank you. Seems the place is a little more on edge than before, but perhaps I just need to recalibrate after my short absence. Wishing you the best for 2023.