closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Question for the sparks

Question for the sparks

We've had biblical rain today and there's been a leak through the kitchen wall into the ovenhood's fused spur switch. It tripped the leccy so I turned off the switch, tried to prevent the leak and the rain seems to be stopping.

I've opened the switch box and released the water pooled up there and dried as best I can.

The switch is part of one of the following three circuits - the kitchen sockets (it must be this one?), 1st floor sockets, and downstairs lights.

My question is, can I turn on the RCD to at least give us sockets upstairs and lights, then leave the sockets kitchen circuits shut until the box dries? Do I need to do anything else? Will the ovenhood switch box keep tripping out until someone removes it, or will being switched off be enough?

Here's the fuse box:

The socket box is one of these:

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, thanks in advance for any helpful advice. It's been an interesting day

If the RCD stays on there is no leakage so is ok, if it trips off things are still damp

The RCD may still trip, as you have only cut the live. The neutral could be to earth and it will sense this.

Try it, because to lift the neutral and earth from the circuit means identifying them and the installer may just have connected them anywhere on the neutral and earth busses.

Thanks both.

So basically, as long as it's dry, everything is safe.

Is it worth getting a hair dryer on the socket to expedite the drying? I'm going to leave it overnight anyway as tomorrow's weather forecast looks more hopeful.

Can I turn on the left RCD, but leave the kitchen sockets circuit off?

TIA

Should be okay.

Thanks. What a day. I’ve never witnessed rain like it - my big gortex coat was sodden in about 30 secs. It was like buckets of water being chucked over everything for 6 hours straight.

I flipped the RCD back on ths morning and so far, so good*… until the next rains.

If its all dried out and the RCD is holding in the I think its all good.