closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: iOS/iPadOS 15 Beta Thoughts

iOS/iPadOS 15 Beta Thoughts

I installed iPadOS Public Beta 3 on my 12.9” M1 iPad yesterday and have been really liking it so far. I like having widgets anywhere on the home screen. I also like the new Password management app that includes generation of OTP codes. I’m not sure about the Safari changes. I’m finding actions in the app take a few more clicks/touches than before. I know Apple are changing it though, based on the negative feedback the earlier versions got.

Are any of you on the beta train this summer? I’d be interested to share thoughts/tips etc.

I’m not on Beta, but always interested to here any news on what’s in the pipeline
    Any approximate idea when this version would get a full release?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I’m not on Beta, but always interested to here any news on what’s in the pipeline
    Any approximate idea when this version would get a full release?
    That'll be in the Autumn when the new iPhone is released.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I've had it for a couple of weeks. Apart from some unusual stretching and drooping of images in the News app, it runs nicely on the iPhone 12 Pro Max.

I'm not convinced the changes to Safari were beneficial or needed; it's a bit of a scatter of finger taps to do straightforward things, and the tab handling has drawbacks as well as benefits.

iCloud private relay is a waste of time and creates more problems than it solves. But the whole OS feels faster than iOS14 and the cleanliness of the stock apps is welcome. Maps is very much improved. I love the ability to copy text from within a photograph, even if the shot is taken at an odd angle. Very handy.

The only bug I've reported is the 'waking auto brightness' handing. For some reason it sticks at 50% max which then requires opening Control Centre to manually raise the brightness.

On macOS 12 Monterey, the difference between that and Big Sur are limited, but again macOS 12 runs quicker than macOS 11.
    Last edited by Filterlab; 25th July 2021 at 16:18.

I’ve been setting up 2 factor authorisation in the Password app in Settings just now. It works better than the 1Password system does, being more integrated. A definite security enhancement.

Master
    IMO (and I deal with thousands of Macs and iOS devices every year), Keychain and iCloud Keychain have always been far better than a third party password app in terms of integration. Keychain Access is a little more "I.T." in terms of revealing a password, but easy once one knows how.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    IMO (and I deal with thousands of Macs and iOS devices every year), Keychain and iCloud Keychain have always been far better than a third party password app in terms of integration. Keychain Access is a little more "I.T." in terms of revealing a password, but easy once one knows how.
    Great if you stay in the walled garden and stupid simple but if you have a Windows laptop or an android phone but use an iPad/Mac it's a total headache.

At least with passwords.google.com you can quickly get them regardless of platform.

Personally I prefer 1Password but I get this isn't for everyone.

Just installed public beta 4. Safari tabs are heading in the right direction, with separate address bar and tabs as the default, the reload button coming back and the share sheet making a return.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Great if you stay in the walled garden and stupid simple but if you have a Windows laptop or an android phone but use an iPad/Mac it's a total headache.
    I've never used an Android and never owned a Microsoft PC, so Keychain is an obvious choice, but yes if one is using multiple platforms then the third party apps are handy.

Beta 5 was out for developers yesterday and on the public stream today. I can’t see many differences apart from the addition of a large icon option which looks good on the 12.9 iPad.