closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Masks

Master
    Lunch out today in lovely Alresford and it was a mixed bag... my Mrs not wearing one and me doing so for starters! It was 50/50 from what I saw. Ppl seemed confused.... carrying it then once they see hardly anyone wearing one inside an establishment it goes straight back into the pocket.

Majority of humans are sheep. Which is very very dangerous when they are lead by crooks. No pun intended.

I actually like wearing a mask.... think because I can be a bit anxious some days so it’s like an invisibility cloak to me 👌🤦*♂️😃

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Absolutely fine like the majority of my colleagues, family, and friends who have had it. Couple of mates haven’t been so lucky which is extremely sad but realistically you will all get it at some point
    Agreed, I’ve spent the last 17 months dodging it, finally caught it the end of June. If my partner hadn’t insisted on me doing a test I would of just put it down to a cold and nothing more. 10 days in isolation once the PCR test came back as positive.
    Masks worn at all times, hands washed and sanitised always and still haven’t been to a pub since before it all started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Masks

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    What utter b*llocks. I made essential journeys in order to get provisions at a time when supermarket deliveries couldn't be arranged when they were needed. Those journeys were compliant with the government guidelines, albeit I used my bike and not my car. As did many others, I hasten to add.

Your decision is different. You've deliberately elected not to make minor and inconsequential adjustments to your lifestyle for your own convenience, thereby putting those around you, and with whom you come into contact, at risk. So yes - I judge you... you're as selfish as the rest of them. I certainly shan't take your pontificating seriously again.
    From April 2020 in the early stages of the first lockdown:

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I think that's something that we need to make our own decisions about. There are cars around everywhere, and yesterday it was clear that they weren't all occupied by lone drivers. Similarly, I saw three or four bikes that were being ridden two-up.

I've had a couple of careful local rides over the last few days, and no doubt will again. If that makes me irresponsible in some peoples' eyes then so be it, but it helps me retain a degree of positive mental health.
    You had no problem exercising personal judgement then, so what has changed?
    Last edited by j0hnbarker; 25th July 2021 at 19:25.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Agreed, I’ve spent the last 17 months dodging it, finally caught it the end of June. If my partner hadn’t insisted on me doing a test I would of just put it down to a cold and nothing more. 10 days in isolation once the PCR test came back as positive.
    Masks worn at all times, hands washed and sanitised always and still haven’t been to a pub since before it all started.

All I did was lick a bus stop
    RIAC

Master
    All I did was lick a bus stop
    I did a similar thing. I licked a lady who'd had a bust op.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    I did a similar thing. I licked a lady who'd had a bust op.
    That sounds fake

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The thing is that you cannot complain about being judge for not wearing a mask. Those who make that judgment may not be virologists, but people who are (or feel) endangered by your choice.
    That is the problem with mask wearing. If it was just about the (potential) risk you take for yourself there would be no question about your choice.
    The fact is that the (potential) risk you take is affecting others than yourself. This is why others will judge you, and rightfully in my opinion.

Hear hear.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Or maybe it's the mask wearer that's spreading it more. Pick something up in the shop. Touch their mask put the item back. Touch trolley. Touch their mask touch trolley. Touch the multi tool in the middle Isle of Aldi. Ummmm. Na IL leave it. Put it back.

Meanwhile the person without the mask has sanitized their hands on entry. Not touched their face once. And then sanitized on their way out.

Who knows what's right. All I know as a glasses wearer is I touch my face a hell of a lot more with a mask on.

I am sure all the people who exercise their right not to wear a mask would also be happy for the surgeon to choose not to wear a mask when they have an op.
    Surgical staff wear masks to protect the patient, not themselves. Anyone who refuses to wear a mask indoors where there are a lot of people about obviously cares for no one but themselves in my opinion.
    But then we seem to live in a very selfish look after No 1 nimby society.

Under government guidelines is it anti-mask or pro-choice, or just divisive?
    Last edited by Chinnock; 25th July 2021 at 21:20.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The thing is that you cannot complain about being judge for not wearing a mask. Those who make that judgment may not be virologists, but people who are (or feel) endangered by your choice.
    That is the problem with mask wearing. If it was just about the (potential) risk you take for yourself there would be no question about your choice.
    The fact is that the (potential) risk you take is affecting others than yourself. This is why others will judge you, and rightfully in my opinion.
    you have hit the nail on the head.

I am in the post office holding my heart haveing trouble breathing (you will have to wrench the mask of my face), the frail old lady in front is struggling with wearing her mask and stuggling to pay (but wont remove her mask.

A big tough builder type comes in,no mask bumping into everyone (couldnt care less),I reserve the right to think he is a lowlife and look at him with utter contempt.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    That sounds fake
    Yep, both of 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Under government guidelines is it anti-mask or pro-choice, or just divisive?
    What government guidelines?
    Today's ?
    Yesterday's
    Tomorrow's?

May as well flip a coin (Which is probably what the person who writes the guidelines does)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Today's ?
    Yesterday's
    Tomorrow's?

May as well flip a coin (Which is probably what the person who writes the guidelines does)
    Good point, can’t argue with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    What's the government advice? It isn't compulsory aside from where mandated by the premises and transport ie TFL say mandatory.

So you will see people wearing them and not wearing them.

There's very little point getting in a twist about it because people will and people won't wear them. I see it as a bit like Brexit in respect of however people endlessly argue on about the merits no one will be changing their opinion.
    The mandatory wearing on the London tube and busses is a nonsense as it is not enforced. On my last trip on the underground, a carriage containing 14 passengers revealed 50% mask wearing, all the non wearers were blokes. If rules are not enforced, those who don't give a toss will continue not giving a toss. A swift penalty might, only might, get a message through.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Just saying 'mask' covers a lot. The fabric/cotton masks or so-called surgical masks are largely useless in protecting you from inhaling viral particles held within an aerosol spray from someone sneezing indoors or close by. To protect yourself, you need an FFP3/N95 mask with valve for efficient exhalation and properly adjusted for close fit.

The FFP3/N95 mask will block or decrease the viral load you inhale which is a factor in the severity of COVID infection. If you've been double vaccinated, receiving a reduced number of viral particles may go unnoticed.

Also you can't be taking on and off and stuffing into pocket and expect any significant benefit.

Masks upgrade cuts infection risk, research finds
    FFP2 = N95

FFP3 = N99

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    The mandatory wearing on the London tube and busses is a nonsense as it is not enforced. On my last trip on the underground, a carriage containing 14 passengers revealed 50% mask wearing, all the non wearers were blokes. If rules are not enforced, those who don't give a toss will continue not giving a toss. A swift penalty might, only might, get a message through.
    But this has been going on throughout the pandemic. It's been like a pantomime...we all know there are very few conditions that would actually prevent someone from wearing a mask on medical grounds yet the proportion of people who have been "exempt" is ridiculous. There will never be a penalty because it is an unenforceable law.

I'm not really worried about catching covid from a health perspective, it's more about not wanting to have to isolate. Even I'd mask up on the tube with 1 in 80 incident rate at the moment.
    Last edited by Christian; 25th July 2021 at 22:16.

Hard to imagine a more Covid transmission friendly environment than the tube at rush hour. What are passenger numbers/ density like...

We always wear ours but saw it was about 50/50 in town today.
    Noticed my barbers was open so popped in for a trim, my usual chap doesn't work Sundays but the weekend guy didn't wear one nor were any of the customers who came in after me.
    Then went into VisionExpress, the mask-less sales assistant greeted every customer with "Welcome, you don't have to wear a mask", and every customer I saw told her they preferred to keep there's on. I wonder if it's a company policy? I'd insist if I was having an eye test, I think they've just lost a customer if it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Hard to imagine a more Covid transmission friendly environment than the tube at rush hour. What are passenger numbers/ density like...
    Pretty rammed to be honest. It's not totally like the tube pre-pandemic where you used to have to wait your turn in the scrum for the second or third train before you actually got on, but the carriages are full again.

I also noticed this weekend that the trains were pretty full...I think a lot of people are coming into London again at the weekend. It's certainly busy with protests every Saturday now...we had both the anti-vax lot the "trans rights" lot in full swing yesterday.

Thanks Christian.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Today's ?
    Yesterday's
    Tomorrow's?

Could you articulate the difference between today's guidelines and yesterday's, please? Thank-you.

Blog Entries
    We're still wearing them in shops and indoors public places, FFP3. Don't care what anyone thinks or says. Our choice. Stayed safe this long, why risk it now?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    We're still wearing them in shops and indoors public places, FFP3. Don't care what anyone thinks or says. Our choice. Stayed safe this long, why risk it now?
    This ^. Still have to wear masks in shops etc here in Wales, but if the requirement had been lifted I would have the same attitude as you Ian. It would be beyond tragic to stumble now with what is hopefully the finish line in sight.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Grand Master

You’ve been told you no longer need to wear a mask but you chose to and everyone who doesn’t is wrong too!!

Pop one on but please be quiet
    RIAC

Master
    And wrongly in my opinion. I will wear a mask if I HAVE to. If others want to wear one to protect themselves wear an appropriate mask not just a “face covering”.

You do not understand that the mask is not meant to protect you but to protect others. The guidelines allow you to not wear a mask so there is no problem with doing as you please in this respect.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You do not understand that the mask is not meant to protect you but to protect others. The guidelines allow you to not wear a mask so there is no problem with doing as you please in this respect.
    Isn't that exactly what Craig just said?

You’ve been told you no longer need to wear a mask but you chose to and everyone who doesn’t is wrong too!!

Pop one on but please be quiet
    That sounds like the most sensible approach

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Isn't that exactly what Craig just said?
    Not quite; the way I understood it, he said that he did not care about protecting others and that there were stronger masks that vulnerable people could wear that would protect THEM if they felt threatened. I acknowledged that it was his right.

I never realised how much I rely on lip reading until everyone started wearing masks. Masks also make me sneeze for some reason.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I never realised how much I rely on lip reading until everyone started wearing masks. Masks also make me sneeze for some reason.
    Plus you dont have to worry about wiping your nose after a toot !
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    This ^. Still have to wear masks in shops etc here in Wales, but if the requirement had been lifted I would have the same attitude as you Ian. It would be beyond tragic to stumble now with what is hopefully the finish line in sight.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk
    Yes, my thoughts.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    And wrongly in my opinion. I will wear a mask if I HAVE to. If others want to wear one to protect themselves wear an appropriate mask not just a “face covering”.

You dont have to care about anyone else,you do not have to help at the scene of an accident,you dont have to help an old lady cross the road,you do not have to help a lost child,you dont have to give blood.

You are the enemy of good people.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    You dont have to care about anyone else,you do not have to help at the scene of an accident,you dont have to help an old lady cross the road,you do not have to help a lost child,you dont have to give blood.

Turn it in drama queen, going by your actions on here, you are the enemy of good watch sellers.

Master
    It seems to me that wearing a mask in crowded indoor spaces is the selfless thing to do, whereas not wearing one is primarily selfish. I fall into the former camp but I fully recognise that selfish people can be selfish if they wish to be. That was/is the problem with this inept Govt abdicating responsibility in matters such as masks.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    This did make me laugh...(it's only a meme so I hope it doesn't upset!)...

LOL. In fairness, I've found myself doing this loads of times, particularly driving. I've just popped into a shop and totally forgot I was wearing a mask.

I'll continue to wear a mask out of courtesy for others. I don't want to unwittingly pass anything on or make others potentially feel uncomfortable. It's just a little thing to help others feel safer which can only be good for society and the economy, which I think is much needed, particularly with case rates being high.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    It seems to me that wearing a mask in crowded indoor spaces is the selfless thing to do, whereas not wearing one is primarily selfish. I fall into the former camp but I fully recognise that selfish people can be selfish if they wish to be. That was/is the problem with this inept Govt abdicating responsibility in matters such as masks.
    This unusually capable and talented government has the problem that a sizeable proportion of its backbenches are sceptical of lockdown measures - and with an official opposition that will generally put its own interests before those of the country, there is the real prospect that mandating face coverings as a legal necessity for any longer might not gain Commons approval.

I share your frustration that it's now at the discretion of businesses rather than an enforceable requirement, but there's only so much you can do - and it seems to be working fairly well, so far.

Craftsman

All rather goes back to the quote

“Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.”

Sadly, fools need rules.

Well, it seems the majority here are going with the wear masks forever approach and 'everyone who doesn't is trying to kill my granny' hysteria, so I'm going to be unpopular and say I'm not wearing a mask in shops, etc unless it's apparent that most people there already are or it's clearly stated that it's a requirement.

I was talking to someone earlier who has been very cautious since the start of the pandemic and he said that a few of his, equally cautious, friends had caught COVID and, being vaccinated, has suffered only mild symptoms.

Yes, of course, SOME people will suffer more than others, but the elderly and vulnerable have all been vaccinated and no-one lives forever.

Sure, CASES are high, but deaths WITH COVID are low, this is what that vaccine was intended to do and, at the risk of stating the obvious, deaths WITH COVID doesn't mean that those people had long and productive lives ahead of them, it simply means when they died, they had had a positive COVID result in the 28 days prior.

It's probably impossible (and certainly unpopular) to determine how many of the people dying now would have died anyway with or without COVID, but the reality is that the majority would have. COVID never was the Black Death.

Everyone has said "Trust the scientists", "Trust the Government" from the outset (something that certainly hasn't always stacked up, in my view), but now they are saying "Be cautious, but it's safe not to wear a mask everywhere", people are saying "They're crazy to do this" - Suddenly everyone is a scientist and an expert.

If YOU want to carry on wearing a mask, go ahead, feel free. If you want to restrict where you shop to exclude places following the Government's guidelines, knock yourself out, but please stop the self-righteousness and let others get on with their lives.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    This unusually capable and talented government has the problem that a sizeable proportion of its backbenches are sceptical of lockdown measures - and with an official opposition that will generally put its own interests before those of the country, there is the real prospect that mandating face coverings as a legal necessity for any longer might not gain Commons approval.

I share your frustration that it's now at the discretion of businesses rather than an enforceable requirement, but there's only so much you can do - and it seems to be working fairly well, so far.
    Now you are trolling. This Government can only be defined as capable and talented for lying, lining their own and friends pockets and destroying industries. Not sure they are good for much else to be honest!

Are you sure you aren’t really JRM?

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    This unusually capable and talented government...
    Even from you that's too much.

BTW would you let Priti peg you? Half serious question.

Lolz, best to just enjoy the Mongo's, and also the Micksters, contributions for what they are...bloody funny insights into peculiar minds,...the other day Mick came out with another cracker...Bonzo he thinks is 'a brilliant tactician'. More power to them both.

Master
    A mask is just part of the piece. The broader equation is people acting sensibly, so respecting personal space, sanitising regularly, not picking up and discarding an item in a shop un-necessarily, etc.

It's probably more likely that those wearing a mask also exercise good practice than those that don't, but far from a perfect correlation from what I've seen. I think the bigger problem are the many that still decline getting jabbed on "non-medical" grounds and yet continue to act as if life is normal. That will ultimately just continue to perpetuate the hospitalisation rate which is the ultimate arbiter of lockdown needs and in turn impact on society as a whole. Case numbers are a misleading stat, it's a medical fact that there will be a lot of reported cases for the foreseeable future, but if the hospitalisation and death rates are manageable, that represents real progress.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

Yes, of course, SOME people will suffer more than others, but the elderly and vulnerable have all been vaccinated and no-one lives forever.
    The example used were people with depressed immune system, following transplant, etc., not people who. with the vaccine can adopt a lifestyle closer to what normal was for them before the pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Everyone has said ... "Trust the Government" from the outset

M
    I can't remember many people saying this but considering the sub-forum I'll say no more on the matter

I thought eighteen months in things would have calmed down, clearly I was wrong, I should have embedded a survey. if I knew how.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post

Sorry that is plain silly and taking what I said completely out of context. Not necessary

Master
    We were meant to go out for my birthday meal last night at a local pub. I walked in & turned around, it was utter carnage & whilst I used to love a busy, crowded & lively pub, this is not a time I’m happy to be in that environment.

I will continue to wear my mask when in shops & restaurants, but will miss the pub table service considerably. I never go out in large groups, so the standing in a pub mingling isn’t really my thing.

I will also not be eating where staff are no longer wearing masks. It may be their / corporate choice, but I’m not spending my money where I may catch it. Luckily my local Indian restaurant have staff still wearing them, so won’t starve.

Strangely a friends father, also frequents the same restaurant. He was there collecting a take away without a mask, but told me he wasn’t happy to eat out yet. The only people in the place was my wife & I seated, the staff with masks, and him without....mental.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    We were meant to go out for my birthday meal last night at a local pub. I walked in & turned around, it was utter carnage & whilst I used to love a busy, crowded & lively pub, this is not a time I’m happy to be in that environment.

I will continue to wear my mask when in shops & restaurants, but will miss the pub table service considerably. I never go out in large groups, so the standing in a pub mingling isn’t really my thing.

I will also not be eating where staff are no longer wearing masks. It may be their / corporate choice, but I’m not spending my money where I may catch it. Luckily my local Indian restaurant have staff still wearing them, so won’t starve.

Strangely a friends father, also frequents the same restaurant. He was there collecting a take away without a mask, but told me he wasn’t happy to eat out yet. The only people in the place was my wife & I seated, the staff with masks, and him without....mental.
    Question: Did you wear a mask from March to June 2020?

RIAC

Master
    I wear a mask, when required. If only to be polite. But the weird thing is I never see any real evidence that it makes a
    difference. Let’s see the figures, see what helps. My own favourite is…..fresh air, lots of it. And, of course, an armful of vaccines. Excellent stuff. A hot curry would help too.