closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1981 Diver

Craftsman

1981 Diver

This one fascinates me. CWC addict says the 81 is automatic, but this one has 83 hands to my eye, which would indicate quartz (? )

Looks good to me, 80 and 81 are automatic, no quartz until 83.

Colin is a member on here and certainly knows his stuff.

A rare bird indeed, much rarer than a milsub, though not quite in the same price bracket.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Looks good to me, 80 and 81 are automatic, no quartz until 83.

Colin is a member on here and certainly knows his stuff.

A rare bird indeed, much rarer than a milsub, though not quite in the same price bracket.
    Yes, that’s what CWC addict says, my point was, this one has 83 hands - do they fit automatic hubs?

(I’m not challenging it, just surprised me)
    Last edited by Brauner Hund; 25th July 2021 at 11:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Brauner Hund View Post
    Yes, that’s what CWC addict says, my point was, this one has 83 hands - do they fit automatic hubs?
    I think you will struggle to get an answer to that question on here unless someone is lucky enough to own both and then has a desire to dismantle them.

Just to throw a curved ball at you, this one causes much debate

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333681774...cAAOSwr65fMUSJ

Seems to be an 81 diver with a logo that was introduced in 82 and wasn’t used on a diver until the first quartz in 83. The hands look identical to Colin’s watch, so I’m going to take a punt and say the answer to your question is yes.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I think you will struggle to get an answer to that question on here unless someone is lucky enough to own both and then has a desire to dismantle them.

Just to throw a curved ball at you, this one causes much debate

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333681774...cAAOSwr65fMUSJ

Seems to be an 81 diver with a logo that was introduced in 82 and wasn’t used on a diver until the first quartz in 83. The hands look identical to Colin’s watch, so I’m going to take a punt and say the answer to your question is yes.
    😂 yup, seen that eBay one before. The words ‘creative’ and ‘optimistic’ leap to mind.

Surely it’s the 83 quartz that has ‘81 style auto hands
    Last edited by watchlovr; 30th July 2021 at 16:06.

Craftsman

(I’m not challenging it, just surprised me)
    Same shape and dimensions except for the pipes, so the hands are not interchangeable.

81 - ETA 2872 ... 150/90/25
    83 - ETA 555.112/5 ... 120/70/20

Terry

Terry always has the answers

Posted in error
    Last edited by John Wall; 18th November 2021 at 09:19.

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Posted in error
    Who too?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Apprentice
    This one fascinates me. CWC addict says the 81 is automatic, but this one has 83 hands to my eye, which would indicate quartz (? )

No not at all. Joe

Craftsman

1981 Diver

. on the similar theme of watch hands ……………. am I correct in thinking that the ‘re issue’ 1980/83 ish divers, both auto and quartz, have slightly thicker minute hands? Looks like they do but the CWC web pics can be deceiving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1981 Diver

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    . on the similar theme of watch hands ……………. am I correct in thinking that the ‘re issue’ 1980/83 ish divers, both auto and quartz, have slightly thicker minute hands? Looks like they do but the CWC web pics can be deceiving?

Yep. They do. It improves the aesthetics IMO
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 17th April 2022 at 11:18.

Craftsman
    I agree - I suspect that the lume is slightly better as well. Really like that bottom left watch with the ‘old radium’.

Love that ’80 reissue John,
    Please consider me if you ever want to move it on ;)

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Love that ’80 reissue John,
    Please consider me if you ever want to move it on ;)
    Will do John

Craftsman

This thread resurrection rather passed me by - the internet obsessiveness around the black version of these watches, and how it seems to tiptoe along the edge of Walter Mittyism (endless pics across social media of bunches of the same watch on bits of cam or next to SF badges - good grief) , has almost completely killed my interest in them. Absolutely couldn’t wear a black one now.

Nevertheless, with regard to my original question, instagram tells me CWC are now offering this hand arrangement as a special; good looking tool watch.

Last edited by Brauner Hund; 21st April 2022 at 08:08.

This thread resurrection rather passed me by - the internet obsessiveness around the black version of these watches, and how it seems to tiptoe along the edge of Walter Mittyism (endless pics across social media of bunches of the same watch on bits of cam or next to SF badges - good grief) , has almost completely killed my interest in them. Absolutely couldn’t wear a black one now.
    (The internet did the same for my former interest in Rolex sports watches - saves me money I suppose! :D .)

Nevertheless, with regard to my original question, instagram tells me CWC are now offering this hand arrangement as a special.

It’s a couple of well known collectors pushing the SBS watch images on Instagram. Even I (as a CWC collector) think it’s a bit OTT, there is only so many times you can look at a similar image of an identical watch posed with associated ephemera.
    Still if it makes them happy…

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    It’s a couple of well known collectors pushing the SBS watch images on Instagram. Even I (as a CWC collector) think it’s a bit OTT, there is only so many times you can look at a similar image of an identical watch posed with associated ephemera.
    Still if it makes them happy…
    It’s somewhere between ‘oddly obsessive’; ‘Walt’ and, I would speculate, a price-driving motivation.

Craftsman

Nevertheless, with regard to my original question, instagram tells me CWC are now offering this hand arrangement as a special; good looking tool watch.

I don't 'do' social media stuff so was looking on the CWC page for this as I prefer the handset with the thicker minute hand. Do you know if it is a 'mock up' or an actual watch that is for sale?

I don't 'do' social media stuff so was looking on the CWC page for this as I prefer the handset with the thicker minute hand. Do you know if it is a 'mock up' or an actual watch that is for sale?
    It is for sale as a special order only at the moment.
    If you give them a bell or drop them a line they will put one together for you. To be honest they are pretty accommodating for any combination as long as it’s possible.

Craftsman
    If you give them a bell or drop them a line they will put one together for you. To be honest they are pretty accommodating for any combination as long as it’s possible.
    Thanks - I didn't realise that was an option with CWC, will see what they say and get a quote!

It’s somewhere between ‘oddly obsessive’; ‘Walt’ and, I would speculate, a price-driving motivation.
    I don’t mind the posts showing the minor differences between years as this speaks to the inner geek but the rest is OTT IMO.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 21st April 2022 at 19:08.

Craftsman
    I emailed CWC and they were very quick to reply. It comes with a top grade Sellita SW 200-1 automatic movement, C3 1980 dial and a 1981 handset (different second hand to the 1980), 120 click bezel. £1650 delivered in 4-6 weeks.

Can anyone enlighten me on the difference between 1980 and 1981 handset - is it just the second hand?
    Thanks

I emailed CWC and they were very quick to reply. It comes with a top grade Sellita SW 200-1 automatic movement, C3 1980 dial and a 1981 handset (different second hand to the 1980), 120 click bezel. £1650 delivered in 4-6 weeks.

Can anyone enlighten me on the difference between 1980 and 1981 handset - is it just the second hand?
    Thanks
    Yep it’s just the second hand, the 80s had a diamond tip.

The watch pictured has a 120 click bezel, steel insert instead of acrylic with lume, brushed mid case (80s are polished all over) 81 hand set (arrow second hand) and 80 dial - lume plots all the way to the outer edge of dial.
    So a mix of old and new.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 22nd April 2022 at 14:53.

Craftsman
    Yep it’s just the second hand, the 80s had a diamond tip.

The watch pictured has a 120 click bezel, steel insert instead of acrylic with lume, brushed mid case (80s are polished all over) 81 hand set (arrow second hand) and 80 dial - lume plots all the way to the outer edge of dial.
    So a mix of old and new.
    Thanks! Now that you've explained it I can see what you are talking about (I think!) in your earlier picture that you added with the 3 watches.

I rather like this 'old and new' mix but probably not one for the collectors!!

Master
    Thanks! Now that you've explained it I can see what you are talking about (I think!) in your earlier picture that you added with the 3 watches.

I rather like this 'old and new' mix but probably not one for the collectors!!
    I like it too, although I'd prefer the lumed acrylic bezel insert. I'd also like to know the depth. The quartz divers are pleasingly slim.

There is also a dedicated page slagging the first one off for this very reason.
    It’s all a bit sad tbh.

And for clarity. The CWC 1981 auto in your original post is mine.
    “Such a bonny watch”

I usually just post my photos with beer in the background/foreground.
    Last edited by watchlovr; 24th April 2022 at 07:27.