closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ‘Watch Guy’ watches.

Master

‘Watch Guy’ watches.

Sunday

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by OHG1X; 17th May 2022 at 21:07.

Master
    Def a chicken and egg situation. The moon story enhances a beautiful highly functional watch for me. Not sure a speedy is any more an 'enthusiast' signifier than a sub or a Monaco though. I think a collection would be a better indication. Esp those containing less obvious watches.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

I think it's rare anyone spends that sort of money on a watch without thinking about it and finding out just a little bit of information about it which would inevitably lead you to Moonwatch/McQueen territory.

I'd be more inclined to think someone with a Zenith El Primero was a watch guy than one of those much more common watches with their "history."

Almost the other way around from your suggestion. The less mainstream the "history" the more research you'd have to have done to understand it's a worthwhile purchase. Often that research is done without looking into anything specific. I came to know about the El Primero movement, for example, because I had the early interest in watches and started learning from there. Then I "came across" the El Primero in my learning and gained an appreciation for it which meant when I had the chance to own one it was a no brainer to me. This was a long time after I knew of the moon watch. Now I'm not an expert in watches compared to many here but, in layman's terms, I'm definitely a "watch guy."

Photo just because you only take pics like these if you're a "watch guy"...

Last edited by tobywatches; 25th July 2021 at 10:14.

‘Watch Guy’ watches.

For me a watch guy/girl is someone who owns multiple brands and doesn’t care about being flashy or having the latest thing. They appreciate all manor of different watches. Having said that, a speedy should be in everyone’s collection, it’s just such a special watch.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I reckon there are a few. For instance, rare German brands like Damasko say ‘watch guy’ to me.

But there are undoubtedly borderline brands. You might buy a Speedie or an Oris because you’re a WIS or you liked the look of it in a shop window.

I would think enthusiast if a person has a watch or strap rotation. But even then it would be hard to know without asking.

I rarely think ‘watch guy’ when I see a Rolex; same when blogs publish the ‘collections’ of ‘celebrities’ and of course they have AP, Rolex, VC and PP - one thing I really like about the ‘Talking Watches’ series is that the people features often have much more ‘watch guy’ pieces that demonstrate they’re into watches, not expensive jewellery (regardless of how beautiful the aforementioned pieces may be).

Example:
    “WATCHSPOTTING: A recovering Conor McGregor and a pre-show Biebs are making 36mm gold Rolex great again” via @watchville

https://timeandtidewatches.com/conor...-bieber-rolex/

Watch guys? Guys with watches!

Anyone who has more than a passing interest in watches is for me a watch guy. Whether they own one watch or a hundred watches, whether it is a lowly Seiko or an expensive watch.
    Some idiotic snobs trying to look smart will take this opportunity to say anyone with interest in modern Rolexes or similar is not a watch guy but that is expected and not worth anything.

‘Watch Guy’ watches.

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    Sorry to be picky, but it is strange that the capital I has a dot over the top. Must be a language thing.

It is surely impossible to tell?

These are sold on every high street on easy to get credit - so you could meet one someone wearing one because of that or because they like the history - how would you tell?

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    I reckon there are a few. For instance, rare German brands like Damasko say ‘watch guy’ to me.

But there are undoubtedly borderline brands. You might buy a Speedie or an Oris because you’re a WIS or you liked the look of it in a shop window.
    Agree.

If I saw a Sinn, I would assume the person is an enthusiast. Not seen one on someone’s wrist in passing ever though.

Master
    Watch person =

- German (Sinn, Damasko, Stowa, anything with 'Glashutte' in the name)
    - High end stuff (JC, PP, AP. VC, L&S etc)
    - Odd Japanese (JDM Seikos, any Orient)
    - normal watch on an unusual strap (Speedy or Sub on a NATO, SKX on a mesh)
    - Vintage but not very old & small (that could well be a 'Chap')
    - Most microbrands (such as Zelos, Steinhart, Raven etc)

That is sort of interesting because it depends on where you are in the world.

Are their collectors in Japan who have a Orient seatech that was only sold in Brazil?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    Watch person =

- German (Sinn, Damasko, Stowa, anything with 'Glashutte' in the name)
    - High end stuff (JC, PP, AP. VC, L&S etc)
    - Odd Japanese (JDM Seikos, any Orient)
    - normal watch on an unusual strap (Speedy or Sub on a NATO, SKX on a mesh)
    - Vintage but not very old & small (that could well be a 'Chap')
    - Most microbrands (such as Zelos, Steinhart, Raven etc)
    That list rules me out :D

I don’t believe you can rule any brand in or out. However, not all the brands listed so far are on view in your average High Street watch shop window. Someone could be wearing a Seiko, Oris or Brietling etc and they simply saw it on display, liked it and bought it without any particular interest in watches.

If however, I saw someone wearing a brand that was not common on the High Street or a vintage or military issue watch etc that would rightly or wrongly suggest to me that the person has an interest in watches. Without that interest how would they have got to know about the watch, found one for sale and ended up wearing it.

I don't think there is such a thing as a "watch guy" brand. Watch could have been a gift, just saw it somewhere(window, magazine, Instagram) and liked it, saw a friend wearing one and liked it so bought similar. Vintage could be an inheritance, military watch may have been issued to them or bought cheap back when surplus used to be sold off cheap in newspapers etc.

I guess if somebody has several watches then that would be a clearer sign.

I find it most interesting if I see somebody wearing something quirky/unusual, like Ben a couple weeks ago spotting a supermarket worker wearing a mk40(I think it was) Speedmaster.

I wouldn't take a great deal of notice of somebody wearing a Speedmaster or Sub. But if they were wearing any of the Mark series Speedmasters(markII for instance) of similarly unusual then I'd be really curious to know their story.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 27th July 2021 at 08:04.

You could say similar about a lot of things.

That guy there is using a Mont Blanc fountain pen. Is he a FP type of guy or just bought something nice but well known?!

I’ve certainly learnt that you can’t really tell and when you do ask about the watch it will end up in a shrug “it’s just something I/someone else bought” or they are a true WIS. The latter doesn’t happen very often!

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    You could say similar about a lot of things.

That guy there is using a Mont Blanc fountain pen. Is he a FP type of guy or just bought something nice but well known?!

I’ve certainly learnt that you can’t really tell and when you do ask about the watch it will end up in a shrug “it’s just something I/someone else bought” or they are a true WIS. The latter doesn’t happen very often!
    I always assume salesperson who hit an incentive.

‘Watch Guy’ watches.

If you can buy it in a high street shop, I don’t think you can tell if the wearer is a ‘watch guy’ - and that includes most Omega and Rolex watches - an AD is still a shop!
    I’d agree with the Sinn/Damasko comments, but if I see something a bit incongruous - like an older Casio frogman on a teenager, or a Panerai sub on a woman, or a Seiko Tuna on a pensioner I think ‘aha, watch guy’! - I’m not saying they aren’t owned by watch guys (of course many are), but your more expensive ‘status pieces’ don’t necessarily indicate any interest in watches - I’d probably think poseur before I thought WIS but could easily wrong - and of course you can be rich or poor, flashy or reserved and still love watches!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I think it's about being unusual rather than a particular brand or model (unless it's something really niche).

Could be something not usually available in the UK, something expensive for the brand's public image (higher priced JDM Seiko I suppose would be a classic example). Also could be unusual for the person.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I always assume salesperson who hit an incentive.
    But we moan when people automatically think that about Rolex wearers.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    But we moan when people automatically think that about Rolex wearers.
    Back when I was starting out the go-to watch for someone who did a big deal was always the Tag Heuer Carrera Chronograph. I got a Formula 1 second hand for £350. I wasn't in the same league.

For what it's worth I only ever see mont blanc pens in sales meetings so my view is skewed. I saw about 50 of them given away back in the early days.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Sorry to be picky, but it is strange that the capital I has a dot over the top. Must be a language thing.
    I've often wondered about that but never done anything to find out more...until now.
    Have emailed Zenith to ask if it has any historic significance.
    Will update when I get a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    It's a tittle.
    F.T.F.A.

An extra special tittle: