closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is the Tudor PO1 still fugly?

Is the Tudor PO1 still fugly?

When it was released it polarized opinions, and really became a marmite of a watch.
    I bought one because it’s quirkiness appealed to me and I wanted something different, but was quickly frustrated by the lack of strap options due to the massive end link/bezel lock mechanisms.

These were bolted in and you were stuck with what you had... or so we thought!

I had finally succumbed to lockdown boredom and decided to have another go at removing those beasts that had thwarted off previous attempts.
    Well, It turns out they are actually very easy to remove. It may have been delicate hands with a new watch at the last attempt.

So, is it still the fugly thing, or does it now belong on the cool wall?

For me it just got a whole lot better, and I’ll be now looking to get some decent straps for it.

See what you think -

Sent using Tapatalk. Excuse the lack of apostrophes.
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 25th July 2021 at 07:19.

Sorry mate, but that is fugly.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Master
    ^^ Yup ^^ - not looking to be nasty here but those sure are fugly *BUT* if you like it, then my opinion doesn't matter one jot.

It’s always going to have the look of something only a mother could love but that’s the whole point. It’s different. It is also part of the design history based on the original.
    Removing the bezel locks does nothing for me though, it just makes the watch look like a long lugged SKX mod. Sorry.
    That said if one were to pop up at a decent 2nd hand price I would jump on it as I would like to try one.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 25th July 2021 at 07:45.

Craftsman
    That’s a massive improvement and I’ve always thought the dial is really nice but the case shape is just a bit too odd for me.

Master
    Looks better, although the lugs still dominate. I think if you add a thick strap such as a toshi, that may balance it out a bit and look cool

For me (in your pictures) it looks fine when laid flat, but when being worn the case profile makes the lugs stick out too far, so to me it looks better with the bezel lock etc in place. However due to the quirkiness of it's design it's a watch that, for me at least, would need to be tried on before buying. All that said, I'm a believer that a watch is for the sole pleasure of the owner/wearer, and it's good to something different being enjoyed.
    F.T.F.A.

It’s better but still a pig of a thing. I’m a huge Tudor fan and can’t stand that watch. Very rarely a watch brings a reaction out of me like that. Out of politeness I would normally say nothing but since you asked

I really like it and think Tudor were brave for releasing it. Would a RubberB fit?

P01 is one of the best looking watches to come out from ANY brand in last few years, IMO. It looks good as it is. For me the bezel locks are the part of the charm.

Master
    The oversized lugs just don't suit a conventional strap IMO. But the standard configuration looks bizarre. Bit of a no-win situation.

Master
    Just too much metal going on there. But there are far worse looking watches being worn.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Massive improvement for me - if you could shorten the lugs a couple of mm I reckon it’d look great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the P01. I think it always looks better in real life than photos make out. Prefer it with the bezel locks though. Functionally and aesthetically as originally intended.

The holes for the lugs are too close to the case so any time the watch is worn as opposed to flat, it looks wrong.

They just look too heavy visually. A dumpy thing, removing the bezel locks helps, but it’s still a munter.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    The holes for the lugs are too close to the case so any time the watch is worn as opposed to flat, it looks wrong.
    This is my issue with it. As depicted perfectly here:

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    And this from someone who bloomin' loves it in pics, but has yet to see it in person.

Loving the responses so far. If you ask an honest question, you should expect and appreciate honest answers.
    I think the consensus is that it’s still a bit of a munter. That’s cool by me.

Certainly a thicker (5 or 6mm) leather strap would ease the visuals on the lugs. I’ll probably make one when I’m allowed back to the factory.

This is all reversible, so no permanent harm done. I like the fact that it now offers an alternative look, whereas before it didn’t seem possible.
    I’m not sure this has been done before, so it was intriguing to me.

Sent using Tapatalk. Excuse the lack of apostrophes.
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 25th July 2021 at 10:57.

I’m not a fan of removing the bezel lock, but I have seen one of these in the metal and tried one on. I have nearly 9 inch wrists and it looked great - I really don’t understand the fugly comments (but then I’m in a minority as I really don’t like the black bay) - it’s a bit different and all the better for it. I also don’t really get the modern obsession with strap changing - it might be nice to have no option and just wear it as the maker intended!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    You can dress a pig in a dress - but it’s still looks like a pig. But glad you like it!
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 25th July 2021 at 10:49.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Interesting conversion. Good to know. As it happens, now that I see it without, I prefer it "with" the bezel lock.

I remember when Subs were considered big and ugly by the Datejust mob. Mark my words, a day will come when the P01 will be worth more than a Sub. It takes experience to see the beauty in the P01.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Interesting conversion. Good to know. As it happens, now that I see it without, I prefer it "with" the bezel lock.

I remember when Subs were considered big and ugly by the Datejust mob. Mark my words, a day will come when the P01 will be worth more than a Sub. It takes experience to see the beauty in the P01.
    This where I am with the P01.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I would like to see it on a bracelet without the bezel locks. The watch itself is ok but the excess metal of the bezel locks throws it out of proportion.

If you could get end links that don’t cover the bezel, I think it would look fine.

Is the Tudor PO1 still fugly?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I would like to see it on a bracelet without the bezel locks. The watch itself is ok but the excess metal of the bezel locks throws it out of proportion.

If you could get end links that don’t cover the bezel, I think it would look fine.
    Agreed, Dave. I don't have a 22mm bracelet with straight end links with me, and they're not too easy to source here.

I've found this one. It's probably made of pastry, but it'll give me a better idea of what it could look like, and is only £4.61.

Last edited by Jon Kenney; 25th July 2021 at 14:56.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post

It is not often that I agree with you but here I wholeheartedly agree:-)

It will take the discontinuation of the p01 to make people realise what they missed. With the longer lugs and no bezel lock, a chunky shark mesh bracelet would look great. Its a nice divisive watch that has a lovely dial. Shame the standard strap is so average and lack of tudor options doesn't help with the versatility.

Craftsman
    This chap has gone to town with the faux ageing on his one but I like it: https://www.instagram.com/p/CK6Y5I4n...dium=copy_link

Quote Originally Posted by MalaMD View Post
    This chap has gone to town with the faux ageing on his one but I like it: https://www.instagram.com/p/CK6Y5I4n...dium=copy_link
    How has he done that to the lume?

Did people not used to put their watch dials in the oven and bake them to give that "Aged" look?

To be fair to Tudor I think the main dislike of this is its from a Swiss company. If Seiko had produced something similar people would be all over it as a future classic. Case does look a lot like a Seiko.

Craftsman
    He did try baking it but nothing happened so he broiled it instead (not sure what the difference is!).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CA5QZwHn...dium=copy_link

He did try baking it but nothing happened so he broiled it instead (not sure what the difference is!).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CA5QZwHn...dium=copy_link
    Broiling is like grilling, ie with exposure to direct heat.

I really like the P01 and have done since the day it was released. But then, I like watches that look a bit ‘different’. Ploprof springs to mind, for instance.

Like it as well.

The only thing I don't like about it is certain aspects look a bit "unfinished". Looking at the crown guard area, it looks a bit unrefined...maybe its just photos.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    Broiling is like grilling, ie with exposure to direct heat.
    Ah ok, cheers

Really did not work for me, looks ok until the wrist pic where it's very clear those lugs are not designed to accept regular staps like that, sits really weird.

Mind you I'm one of those that likes the watch as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Really did not work for me, looks ok until the wrist pic where it's very clear those lugs are not designed to accept regular staps like that, sits really weird.

Mind you I'm one of those that likes the watch as is.
    Likewise I prefer it as it is, not too fond of the grilled Tudor either

The black rubber strap with metal hardware as per the prototype on the left looks very cool. Someone should replicate that!

As for the watch it looks different but not ugly and in any case if we buy watches based on how they look only then you are just stating that you view them as jewellery and in that case a P01 would never be for you. The engineering is nice on these and the instant I get a whiff they will be discontinued I'll pick one up.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The only thing putting me off is the lack of a bracelet: not some cleverly designed dodge to make something/anything fit but a proper Tudor designed and factory fitted one.
    A couple of rubber strap options should have been included with the watch from new as well because the brown jobby it comes with is subpar to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I think that if a strap could be fitted directly to the bezel lock, it would look much better, as it is, that metal adapter adds more length to an already long case.

As for the mod, I’m not sure it’s substantially better, due to the positioning of the springbar in the lugs. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    The black rubber strap with metal hardware as per the prototype on the left looks very cool. Someone should replicate that!

As for the watch it looks different but not ugly and in any case if we buy watches based on how they look only then you are just stating that you view them as jewellery and in that case a P01 would never be for you. The engineering is nice on these and the instant I get a whiff they will be discontinued I'll pick one up.

You already owned and sold two though ?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    You already owned and sold two though ?
    I had 1 but that was bought for another member because there was a decent price on it. I've not physically worn one

No from me, the first time I clapped eyes on one I confess to being interested, but the more I looked the more the locking mechanism became an unnecessary complication, I buy watches to wear albeit occasionally, so whether it becomes a future sought after classic is immaterial to me.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - enjoy
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    P01 is one of the best looking watches to come out from ANY brand in last few years, IMO.
    Really ?

Simon