closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Whats the catch

Whats the catch

I am selling a watch and to stop idiots and timewasters I advertised it a little higher than normal to put them off (didn't work) then I got someone asking me to message them, instead of them just replying to my marketplace ad, which was strange I thought, next they say in decent English how much they want to pay, which is well above what I advertised it for and really how much I was wanting.
    Anyway this messaging is still ongoing, but here is a quick shot of what's been said so far and does this sound dodgy or what.

Can a scammer actually get money from your account with the sort code and account number only.

Capture by danger_mouse1964, on Flickr

By the way, he wants to pay BT and this is still ongoing as its amusing, I will let you know the outcome but I guess he wont be buying my watch HAHA

Blog Entries
    Sounds dodgy as.. to me.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

When I asked how he wanted to pay, I was expecting him to say Western Union not BT

Grand Master
    I had same last week,offerd slightly more to include post to Burnley.Sent my details andwent quiet!.
    I said are you still wanting the watch?.

Sorry just bought another!.

Could be genuine but gut feeling a chancer as BT wasnt his preferred payment so probably
    for that reason didnt work in his favour for his scam however that might have been.

I have just looked at the latest scams and yes, these chancers can get money from your account by just using the sort and account numbers if the account holder isn't vigilant, they simply set up a direct debit as this only requires your acc no and sort code and your address, which most scammers can find in 10 seconds online, apparently Jeremy Clarkson was stung this way.

And now he wont give me any details until he has paid me £1000 I have asked for his real name and address to verify where he lives, he says he is in Birmingham.

I am nipping this in the bud, all I can get out of him is Birmingham, he wont give any other details whatsoever and I have things to do so I am just going to leave this here, you never know, he may come up with an address or some other details if I just leave it open HAHA

What they might be doing is a diversion tactic - first they'll be ok with bank transfer then say oh having problems with bank, access, payments etc. Then say can I pay by Credit Card (stolen) PayPal (hacked account) Western Union (fake email saying you have funds delivered) All they need is for you to believe you have been paid, pressure you to deliver pdq and then you'll find payment reversed, stolen card - reversed, no payment at all. The offering more is either a greed tactic which some fall for, they're not reading the ad properly or they'll ask you to send back £400 to them, which will be reversed and you've sent them the watch - double whammy.

Whatever they're up to its bad and deserve to be ignored. Once they offer more (who does this - criminals or nutters - either no good!) I wouldn't give out bank details.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse64 View Post
    I have just looked at the latest scams and yes, these chancers can get money from your account by just using the sort and account numbers if the account holder isn't vigilant, they simply set up a direct debit as this only requires your acc no and sort code and your address, which most scammers can find in 10 seconds online, apparently Jeremy Clarkson was stung this way.

Any company able to set up a DD would have been screened by their bank, a scammer wouldn't benefit from doing that as far as I can see. Even if it went to someone dodgy the direct debit guarantee would see you refunded. Clarkson was signed up to charity payments when he published his bank details..

I suspect it’s some kind of payment scam. Someone more knowledgable than me will know but I’m pretty sure there’s one where money appears to show in your bank account, you send the goods but payment is reversed.

If it’s text messages, he now has your phone number too.
    Cheers..
    Jase

What could he do even with phone number, account number and sort code?

Get the number swapped to a new SIM, pop that in his phone, reset the banking login with verification sent to the right number but one that is now controlled by the wrong person...

Probably unlikely but not impossible

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    If it’s text messages, he now has your phone number too.
    Its on facebook marketplace Jason, by messenger.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse64 View Post
    100% this
    You can happily pay their credit card bill - gas and electric - seen it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    What could he do even with phone number, account number and sort code?
    Mobile number is one of the security questions for compliance pass for the ISP I worked for
    Full name
    Full address
    Mobile number
    Registered email address and they could be you
    They could then try to change your dd details if they know you are in credit and ask for a refund or buy something and ask for it to be delivered to a different address

Apart from established forum members, I'm not comfortable being called 'mate'! I would ignore this person.

Scam alert!!

This isn't a genuine Facebook account.

Block him.

(Best of luck with the sale.)
    Last edited by senraw; 24th July 2021 at 15:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Apart from established forum members, I'm not comfortable being called 'mate'! I would ignore this person.
    And Mate is one of the keywords they use that makes or is supposed to make you feel like you can trust the person, it also didnt work, he wasnt my mate.

Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    Scam alert!!

This isn't a genuine Facebook account.

Block him.

(Best of luck with the sale.)
    I have got rid now and no details sent.

If you fancy turning paranoid, check out a podcast called Darknet Diaries’ episode 97 - crazy story.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Any company able to set up a DD would have been screened by their bank, a scammer wouldn't benefit from doing that as far as I can see. Even if it went to someone dodgy the direct debit guarantee would see you refunded. Clarkson was signed up to charity payments when he published his bank details..
    My mum when she was ill and confused gave her bank sort code and account no out but when I finally got through to Nat west they said whoever had the details couldn’t do anything with them

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I think anyone going to the unnecessary length of adding "mate" to a text message needs to be regarded with suspicion.

You honestly wouldn't believe it, after 3 hours away he was still at it, messaging me, so I played along and managed to get an address which turned out to be a bed and carpet shop in Birmingham which shut a few years ago and no owner info anywhere on the internet, so I asked for a phone number and he said his phone is not working but has a whatsap number (isnt whatsap same number as your tel number?) anyway it got back to the same thing........whats my account details so he could drop £1000 in and I got bored and completely blocked, but just shows how much these criminals will go to to get what they need to scam you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    100% this
    You can happily pay their credit card bill - gas and electric - seen it

What sort of fraudster would allow their utility bill be paid by stolen money, it's one of the few very traceable accounts. Likewise credit card bill. Imagine if every criminal gave out their home address....

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    What sort of fraudster would allow their utility bill be paid by stolen money, it's one of the few very traceable accounts. Likewise credit card bill. Imagine if every criminal gave out their home address....
    Agree...I have never seen the "scams" that some people are talking about in this thread.

So this is what I actually think will happen...

The scammer makes you a direct transfer from someone else's bank account (either an account he has directly hacked, or more likely he convinces another of his victims to make a payment to his "beloved Grandmother who is stuck on an oil rig" or whatever). You get the money and think it's legit and send the item he is buying from you. A few days later the victim realises their money has gone and contacts their bank. At that point the fraud department of the bank may work with the fraud department of your bank to return the money that you got unlawfully from the victim. And if you're doubly unlucky then the police don't believe you that there was a third party involved and you are up on charges of money laundering and/or fraud yourself.

I called him out, and he refused to give any info, as we all agree, he is a fraudster and I have reported to Facebook but to be honest they are like ebay and wont even look into this but at least its on record here if anyone finds the same buyer trying it on
    Last edited by Dangermouse64; 25th July 2021 at 00:50.

The scammer makes you a direct transfer from someone else's bank account (either an account he has directly hacked, or more likely he convinces another of his victims to make a payment to his "beloved Grandmother who is stuck on an oil rig" or whatever). You get the money and think it's legit and send the item he is buying from you. A few days later the victim realises their money has gone and contacts their bank. At that point the fraud department of the bank may work with the fraud department of your bank to return the money that you got unlawfully from the victim. And if you're doubly unlucky then the police don't believe you that there was a third party involved and you are up on charges of money laundering and/or fraud yourself.

As much as I wish this is a joke, sadly it isnt and does happen, not in this case though as I nipped it in the bud ages ago, but this sort of thing is happening every day to our old folks, not my granny as I dont have one, in fact I dont have any living parents, but those who do, we cant allow this sort of thing to happen.....

I nearly fell for this - guy told me he was paying by bank transfer but actually took a cheques to a branch and paid it into my account. Showed up in my bank app and difficult to tell any difference, but bounced a few days later and came back out of my account. Of course the watch will have been collected or posted in the meantime

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Ask him to send u £1k visa SD and you will send the watch by return of post - that should stop him

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    I nearly fell for this - guy told me he was paying by bank transfer but actually took a cheques to a branch and paid it into my account. Showed up in my bank app and difficult to tell any difference, but bounced a few days later and came back out of my account. Of course the watch will have been collected or posted in the meantime

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I thought I read the only sure fire ways is cash over the branch counter straight into your account- no way to reverse that