closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko SBGA285 or SBGA283 Spring Drive Experiences?

Grand Seiko SBGA285 or SBGA283 Spring Drive Experiences?

Has anyone owned or own the Grand Seiko Spring Drive SBGA285 or SBGA283 and if so how do you find it?

The dimensions seem decent plus they have a solid case back so are not too thick.The model seems to be the entry level SD with retail at £3500 but can easily be purchased brand new with a discount at around £2700 - 2800 and don't seem bad value at that price.

https://www.grand-seiko.com/uk-en/collections/sbga285g

https://www.grand-seiko.com/uk-en/collections/sbga283g
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 23rd July 2021 at 18:22.

Apprentice
    I'd be interested to hear people's experiences too. I stumbled across it because I was looking to try a Spring Drive without a huge case, and the 283/285 is the cheapest way in, albeit without an exhibition caseback, no fancy dial, etc.

My head has been turned by the 375 with its faceted case, more complex indices, exhibition back etc but it is a lot more expensive.

Would be great to hear anyone's recent thoughts!

Master
    Now looking at these too! Any thoughts from owners?

Apprentice
    Since this thread popped back up in the list...

In the end I tried on a 375 and found the 44GS case too blingy. I also in the flesh found the power reserve indicator made the dial busy.

So I took a sharp left turn and ordered an SBGV233 from Japan... 40mm, teal dial (not blue), titanium case, bracelet and clasp, and 9F quartz movement so no SPRING DRIVE lettering or power reserve on dial. Also much thinner than the SD versions.

I am much happier with the more conventional looking case, which has some brushed parts, so I think actually if I were going for a Spring Drive I'd go for the same case style, like the 283/285.

Never thought I'd get a quartz watch again (certainly not one over 2k), but I'm very happy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eciton View Post
    Since this thread popped back up in the list...

In the end I tried on a 375 and found the 44GS case too blingy. I also in the flesh found the power reserve indicator made the dial busy.

So I took a sharp left turn and ordered an SBGV233 from Japan... 40mm, teal dial (not blue), titanium case, bracelet and clasp, and 9F quartz movement so no SPRING DRIVE lettering or power reserve on dial. Also much thinner than the SD versions.

I am much happier with the more conventional looking case, which has some brushed parts, so I think actually if I were going for a Spring Drive I'd go for the same case style, like the 283/285.

Never thought I'd get a quartz watch again (certainly not one over 2k), but I'm very happy.
    Glad you are happy, the 285 is the one I quite like the look of. Did you manage any discount?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Glad you are happy, the 285 is the one I quite like the look of. Did you manage any discount?
    To be clear the watch I actually ordered is the SBGV233. Pretty hard to get hold of. I proposed a discount but no luck. Cost me £2,300 including customs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Cheers. Was that the final price or were there additional costs?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Cheers. Was that the final price or were there additional costs?
    All there prices include tax and any import fees.

Last edited by boring_sandwich; 19th September 2021 at 16:05.