closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tokyo 2020 Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Not here. Dutch brand KOGA (and in earlier days Dutch brand RIH) have been the providers of Dutch bikes. (Proud to own a Koga myself!). And, may I add: the back stay of the British bikes is really ugly, imho.

As we speak: Dutch Sprint Final! Two orange jerseys fighting each other. These two are long-time trainings partners and friends.
    What do you make of the forks?

Listening to the BBC, apparently the stays aren't needed for strength. They are only there because the rules require them. That being the case, they have been designed to serve an aerodynamic purpose working with the forks to shape the airflow around the rider's legs (according to the internet).

I have to agree that they are not aesthetically pleasing to the eye, but if they work...

Edit: See also www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOSOzbJw98c.
    Last edited by PickleB; 7th August 2021 at 10:59.

I have to say the indoor cycling is totally thrilling. My favourite events. Equestrian not so much. And as for the Karate Kata event WTF was that all about?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I have to say the indoor cycling is totally thrilling. My favourite events. Equestrian not so much. And as for the Karate Kata event WTF was that all about?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    The men’s Maddison was very exciting at the end. Well done the Brits

Master
    That Modern Pentathlon was torture to watch. Rubbish commentary, fantastic gold for Joe Choong.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    That Modern Pentathlon was torture to watch. Rubbish commentary, fantastic gold for Joe Choong.
    First time I’ve watched it, what a competently bizarre event - bit like it’s a knockout with Olympic medals at stake. Was good fun though, Choong did well to hold on in the end

Master
    Blog Entries
    Annika Schleu battled to control Saint Boy.

A random horse turns it into a lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post

Same horse pulled up with the Russian competitor as well. What a farce.

Anyone for Findus pancakes?

Blog Entries
    German coach removed from the Olympics for animal abuse. She wanted Schleu to "...hit it, hit it hard!" And other sources tell that she's punched a horse with her fist.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Same horse pulled up with the Russian competitor as well. What a farce.

Anyone for Findus pancakes?
    It is a lottery, but apparently she did not take up the option of changing her horse...see BBC link:

...Her woes yielded sympathy from some past Olympians - although Sydney 2000 bronze medallist Kate Allenby questioned why Schleu did not swap her horse for another after seeing its earlier antics.

Athletes are allocated a horse at random - with each horse having two riders, one in the lower half of the standings, one in the higher half - but they can opt to switch to a reserve ride if they so wish.

Schleu, however, chose to stick with Saint Boy, whose halo remained again markedly absent, opening the door for Great Britain's Kate French to storm to gold in the final event, the laser run.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I didnt know they could switch,thanks for the info.

It was sad thought to see her crying and in distress.

I didnt know they could switch,thanks for the info.

It was sad thought to see her crying and in distress.
    I didn't watch it live, but imagine having a 5 year investment of effort disappear because of the temperament of a horse plus your own (probably wrong) judgement call. It would make many a competitor cry.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    German coach removed from the Olympics for animal abuse. She wanted Schleu to "...hit it, hit it hard!" And other sources tell that she's punched a horse with her fist.
    According to the BBC (is it ever wrong ), it was a punch. So a case of one dumb animal punching a horse.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    What were you doing when you were 12 (see www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3yoYEB41Ho)?
    I'd like to think my copying Latin homework on the bus was at least Europeans class.

Astonishing, the skills and maturity of these kids.

Jason Kenny in the Keiren final.

Stunning ride, just stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Outstanding!

Well done Lauren Price & Kellie Harrington.
    Last edited by halfpasttwothirty; 8th August 2021 at 07:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

What a man, what a family.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Just watched King Kenny. What a rider. Fantastic and a great down to earth bloke as well

Tokyo 2020 Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Just watched King Kenny. What a rider. Fantastic and a great down to earth bloke as well
    Yeah, brilliant interview from them both afterwards as well, down to earth and honest. Delighted for them both.

Well done Team GB, 4th in the medals list. I've quite enjoyed watching the Olympics. Shame we didn't have strong results in the athletics this time, but overall we've done well.

Watching BBC now, why on Earth do they make a point of covering the Irish?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Watching BBC now, why on Earth do they make a point of covering the Irish?
    A lot of Irish folk live in the UK, plus she was great ambassador for her country.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    A lot of Irish folk live in the UK, plus she was great ambassador for her country.
    A lot of Poles and French (for example) also live here, never see such concentration on their competitors. Great ambassador for another country (if even true), who cares, it's not just the boxer anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Shows the massive difference lottery funding and focus on London 2012 has made. Although Team GB made a great start this year it seems like there's going to be slim pickings in some areas we've excelled at in recent games. I doubt we're going to get near 20 golds this time more like mid teens at best.
    You were saying:

...?

Thoroughly enjoyed this one and Japan deserve great credit for how they put it all together.

If watching this Olympic Games was an olympic sport I reckon I'd be in with a chance for a Gold medal.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Thoroughly enjoyed this one and Japan deserve great credit for how they put it all together.

If watching this Olympic Games was an olympic sport I reckon I'd be in with a chance for a Gold medal.

R
    Haha me too. First time I’ve watched so much TV without feeling guilty

You were saying:

...?
    I'm very happy to have been proved wrong :)

I couldn't see where all these gold medals were going to come from but it's been a stunning performance from Team GB!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Trying to find a link to the mens 1500m and decathalon if anyone has a clue,thanks.

Blog Entries
    We ended #7. The best of the EU. And a lot of 4th places for athletes with a big future ahead.

We copied the UK's 'lottery tactics' and it paid off. A plan that was written in 2009 with the idea of becoming a Top-10 country in 2020. (Now '21). Given the size of our country and the number of people here, we did good - all countries above us in the ranking - and below us as well, have a bigger 'pool' of potentials and talent.

Roll on Paris! (I was in London in 2012 and I'm sure I'll be visiting Paris as well - Or Marseille for the sailing).

I've thoroughly enjoyed this Olympics, absolutely loved it. The new events such as BMX and skateboarding have been brilliant and have kept the programme current. As for Team GB, our medal haul has been nothing short of incredible in relation to our population size.

Bring on Paris 2024!

My wife and I were trying to think of our standout performance at this Olympics but just couldn’t pin it down.
    BMW freestyle woman’s gold
    BMX sprints
    Matt Whitlocks final performance
    Both pentathlon golds
    Laura Muir silver In the 1500
    Josh Kerr 1500 bronze
    Women’s Maddison
    Equestrian
    Lauren Price boxing
    Galal Boxing
    The sailing golds were epic to watch
    Adam Peaty
    Tom Daley and Matty Lee
    Warholm in the 400m hurdles
    and many more
    But King Kenny winning the Kiran just gets it for me but I’ll probably change my mind tomorrow.
    A brilliant Olympics after such a crap time

One of the best highlights for me was the 2 high jumping chaps sharing gold. Great sportsmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    One of the best highlights for me was the 2 high jumping chaps sharing gold. Great sportsmanship.
    Yes, I forgot about that one. Brilliant

I'd missed that...thanks for the heads up. Add to that Gianmarco Tamberi (IT) being congratulated by Patrícia Mamona (PT) as she was celebrating her own silver medal in the triple jump. See Twitter link and the end of the video in 'Can we have two golds?'

Sportsmanship, really?

Did what was best for themselves and anyone would surely do the same - either get a gold or gamble and might end up with a silver.

Sportsmanship, really?

Did what was best for themselves and anyone would surely do the same - either get a gold or gamble and might end up with a silver.
    Rather cynical, perhaps?

I thought it was a nice moment in the spirit of the Olympics, rather than the gladiatorial aims of today.

Perhaps it'd become a bit tiresome if it happened often, but as a one off, I felt it was positive.

I must admit, whether due to the time difference or limited coverage, I didn't watch a lot of the Olympics this time around, but my impression was that it was, generally, a pretty good performance by team GB.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 9th August 2021 at 14:24.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Sportsmanship, really?
    You are something else. I had you on ignore from your last trolling remarks from a previous post, time to put you back on.

I'd missed that...thanks for the heads up. Add to that Gianmarco Tamberi (IT) being congratulated by Patrícia Mamona (PT) as she was celebrating her own silver medal in the triple jump. See Twitter link and the end of the video in 'Can we have two golds?'
    It may be novel in athletics but there are plenty of precedents in other fields, eg gymnastics...see 'ties for gold' in this link.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Trying to find a link to the mens 1500m and decathalon if anyone has a clue,thanks.

I still have watched these.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Rather cynical, perhaps?

I thought it was a nice moment in the spirit of the Olympics, rather than the gladiatorial aims of today.

Perhaps it'd become a bit tiresome if it happened often, but as a one off, I felt it was positive.

I must admit, whether due to the time difference or limited coverage, I didn't watch a lot of the Olympics this time around, but my impression was that it was, generally, a pretty good performance by team GB.

M
    It was a very nice moment to see the athletes celebrating their decision to share the gold but I don't think it's cynical to assume most athletes would've done the same. It's classic game theory, do you choose to take home a guaranteed gold medal or go to a jump off and risk taking home a silver instead? I'd have snapped their hand off to share the gold.

You are something else. I had you on ignore from your last trolling remarks from a previous post, time to put you back on.
    Disagree with you (not hard TBH as you usually post b@ll@cks), don't see how this is trolling. Why not leave me on ignore this time?

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    It was a very nice moment to see the athletes celebrating their decision to share the gold but I don't think it's cynical to assume most athletes would've done the same. It's classic game theory, do you choose to take home a guaranteed gold medal or go to a jump off and risk taking home a silver instead? I'd have snapped their hand off to share the gold.
    Exactly!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by halfpasttwothirty View Post
    That’ll be Great Britain forfeiting the silver medal then. Funny how we get so worked up about Johnny Foreigner taking performance enhancing drugs then one of ours is caught cheating.